BCFS Employee Reviews

Great Professional Opportunities and Experience
Reservist - Mental Health Deputy Director (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 21, 2017
Appreciate the opportunities provided through BCFS HHS to apply my Mental Health professional skills and experience in Disaster response. Definitely has provided strong foundation for me in this field.
Bad place to work but if you like to be treated unfairly and not get a raise then BCFS is for you.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 20, 2017
Plain and simple BCFS likes to put on a good show however truth be told it's all BS. The program directors are not qualified to lead, heck one of them doesn't even have a degree even though the job requires it. They always change or make up policies on the fly but never put them on paper to cover their butts. BCFS Harlingen is ripe with unqualified people being promoted only because they hang out with the directors or kiss some serious behind. The majority of those people are lazy and not qualified to fill management or supervisory positions. You would assume that the go getters would get promoted, not here, you can go from being a teacher aide, not a certified teacher, but an aide and get promoted to program director only because your buddies with the other directors. If the BCFS CEO knew the truth he would clean house, well actually he probably wouldn't. What's funny is that the policies and procedures that are to be followed on a daily basis arent. If someone is coming for a visit
they want everyone to bust their butts cleaning and what not to make it look we are doing what we are supposed to. That's when they want all employees to pretend that the rules are being followed....more bull butter!!! BCFS claims it's all about the kids that's another crock of bull butter !It's all about the money from ORR, they waste so much money its not even funny. I worked there 4 1/2 years, the employee turnover was tremendous. I could write a book about all the BS and the real goings-on at BCFS. I find it hard to believe that some of the people that worked especially DCW's would say
  more... its a good place to work. They are either morons or smoking crack, truth is a lot politics at BCFS. Do not work there, well scratch that if you don't believe what I'm writing, I dare you to work there so you can see and experience the truth for yourself!!!  less
Pros
The only pro is leaving BCFS after your shift is over!!!
Cons
Promotions are based on who you blow not what you know
Good place to make friends and helping the youth
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 8, 2017
too much favoritism at this place management could care less about there employees policy is you don't like theres the door pretty much and if you open your mouth be prepared to get fired or let go
Pros
Making friends
Cons
no breaks standing all day barely have staff for restroom break no raises
Great Temporary Job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 7, 2017
Great Place to work. Work is extremely focused on individual and team goals. Constant interaction and communication. Spend a lot of time on the phone and computer systems.
Good to help people in need.
Lead Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2017
Is a good place to help other and serve the lord. The people that work here are good people that help others above themselves on a daily basis. Not for the money.
A great experience a good opportunity to fly.
Temporary Full-Time (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 26, 2017
It was a great experience got to learn about the immigration culture and be able to connect with all types of agencies and fly within the U.S. Great bonus provided for your hard work.
No communication and very unprofessional staff
Family Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, TXMay 24, 2017
Unprofessional staff and no support from upper management. Lack of communication from upper management. Sometimes things get a little too dramatic when there's really no reason for it.
My Opinion
Case Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
I absolutely love, my co workers and my boss you truly enjoy going to work. However, policies change and program changes are made and no matter how good you are it seems the chain of command does not recognize that.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No growth for certain tenured staff unless you are in the location of the corporate offices.
good reason to be involved in that job
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXMay 16, 2017
take care of kids watch over them play with them keep them safe keep them entertained have fun learn from their cultures the differences of here and where they come from
Pros
free dinner
Cons
no holidays, no brakes
Great Salary and fun people to work with
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 11, 2017
If you love working in a Chain of Command and don't mind running around like a chicken with your head cut off, while others stand around, then this is the job for you. I personally did not mind since my job was personally fulfilling, but others often complained. I was in the job to help others and not for the salary.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
no health benefits
Wonderful Place to work at if you love helping people in need
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXMay 10, 2017
BCFS is a great company to work for, they offer good benefits and compensations. The only difficulty about working here is that it is a non profit organization so anything affecting government agencies also affects the employees.
Pros
Good Benifits, Free Lunch, family oriented
Cons
Government shut downs or budget cuts affect bcfs
teacher
Teacher, Transitional Foster Care (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 9, 2017
I need a new opportunities in the labor area. I want to obtain new employment opportunities to develop major as a person and employee.I want to expand my skills and get more learning in my area work and always ready to carry out the objectives of a company.
great atmosphere
IDCM Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 8, 2017
Excellent and caring work environment. I really enjoyed how the focus was almost always on the subject matter of the individuals we serve. Leaders are almost all of available to listen to any issues that may arise.
People Skills
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 5, 2017
It takes a special understanding person to work with the population of minors that BCFS serves. If you don't have compassion for children, especially children who are at risk then please don't even apply.
Great place to work at.
PRN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Nation wideMay 4, 2017
The pay is great, the only bad thing is that is by deployments only, so right now 3 months without working. PRN positions no Benefits to employees. But overall for the pay this job is great.
Pros
Pay, per diem/ free meals/ lodging
Cons
working graveyard try to adjust .
Productive fun workplace
DCW-PRN (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 1, 2017
Quick paced new and challenging things every day. Management needed some work with communication amongst employees. Hardest part of the job is unpredictable challenges that required a lot of mental strength. Most enjoyable part was to be an example for the unaccompanied minors and try to make a difference in their lives.
If you really need a job as a last resort
Transporter direct care (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 29, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't recommend this place unless you really need the money. You really start to hate your job not because of kids but because of management and staff. I did almost five years there and that's considered allot being that majority quit after two years or less. Management is horrible they give raises and bigger job titles to the lazy people. While the ones that bust their but don't get recognized unless they're best friends with mangers. My manager was never there majority of the time he would show up late and then take off after an hour or two to go do side jobs in construction or run his personal errands. What do you know they gave him a raise. Look elsewhere if you can don't waste your time here unless you have too.
Pros
None unless your in higher position
Cons
Don't expect to leave at your scheduled time.
**Poor management**
Direct Care Worker (DCW) (Former Employee) –  Raymondville, TXApril 27, 2017
Well... you have to arrive 15 min prior to shift (not paid) so that you can hear about how gossiping is not allowed yet management are also involved in it too...then you go to your post which is probably going to be the same one because "favorites" always have the rovering position...good luck on getting a restroom break supervisors won't get up to help staff when staff is busy..there are 2 supervisors and 2 shift supervisors in office..there is one supervisor that always tries to bully staff he been there for a while no matter all complains...Management praise him as the best no matter how many complaints of unprofessionalism he has...the starting pay is $10 for 1st $11for 2nd and $12 for 3rd....watch out for the women that have been there for a while they are always looking to report you for anything so they can look good with supervisors don't trust anyone.
Pros
Free lunches, health benefits
Cons
No structure, unprofessional, gossip
excellent work place
Parent Educator (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 25, 2017
I love working here at BCFS it is an exceptional place to work. I'm sad because I will be relocating and leaving this great company. I would recommend this place of work to anyone who loves to work with people.
Not exaclty non-profit
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2017
Organization provides great health care and all of the best technological resources. Even though it is a non-profit company, it is run like a for profit organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BCFS. Our community is ready to answer.