BDO Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Financial Reviewer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
- Work hard, take care of the people who work there
- Very smart and intellectual people, who take their work very seriously
- Long hours, but a great place to work
Friendly place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2016
The atmosphere is nice, the people are pleasant and very helpful. The location is nice and has a wonderful view of Lake Michigan.
Balance Expectations
Intern (Former Employee) –  ClarkJanuary 20, 2016
Learnt a lot of practical application of Audit. From planning, to risk assessment to actual field work.

Briefly touch on various aspects of audit due to the structure of the internship programme. Was able to go on multiple different engagements that make learning a memorable one.

Long hours of vouching could be the most difficult part as it requires thorough focus and searching of information.
Pros
Young staffs which are easy to communicate and very friendly. Makes the environment more enjoyable
Cons
Constantly busy staffs that make a lot of learning more independent.
It was painful but I gained a lot from Auditing experience at BDO
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  ChinaJanuary 15, 2016
I engaged in the annual audit of a manufacturing company with two associates and one senior associate and I usually contacted clients to inquire updated trial balance for financial statements on a daily basis and prepared worksheets for assets breakdown. I was assigned to examined bank reconciliation of the clients, and after that, I led other interns to perform detail tests on material transactions.

I learned how to use MS Office Suite well, improved my interpersonal skills and enrich my knowledge in external auditing.
Excellent Workplace Climate
Experienced Assurance Staff (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working with everyone in the office that I encountered and they truly care about teaching you and developing you for the next level.
Analyst Review
Litigation Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2015
Most of the work is conducted independently, its expected you can handle a high workload. For new employees this can be a struggle hen your learning the work expected.
Pros
BDO Flex
Cons
Managment is not always aviable to guild.
Great benefits
Legal/HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2015
They were starting to downsize a short while after I started. I ended up only working for one attorney when I started working for two. So I then had to find stuff to do, which made a work day kind of boring

they had great beneits & I made some friends there
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work day was slow
Core Tax Services
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 20, 2015
High-paced work environment. Expected to be a quick learner and adapt to procedures and processes.Tax laws change annually so the demand for knowledgeable professionals is always high. Great work-life balance.
Challenging work that promotes professional growth and leadership responsibilities
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2015
A great experience that has posed great learning opportunities and challenges in my growth professionally. Great exposure to complex clients and discussions w/ key management personnel at large companies. Like most public accounting firms the nature of the work consists of lots of travel and out of town work.
Pros
Learning opportunities and professional growth
Cons
Work Life Balance
fun, supportive envirnonment
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 4, 2015
the motto at BDO was work hard play hard. they had a wonderful way of making everyone feel valued and appreciated. During Tax season the hours were long and they made sure their were opportunities to take a break. they hired a masseuse, they also provided lunch or dinner every night during Tax season. The partners never made you feel they were superior, they were very approachable and could talk to them about anything. They always had opportunity for job advancement as well as support any personal growth you were working on.
the hardest part was being part of a large national firm was Alaska is unique and we didn't always fit the everyday mold of the rest of the company. We had to make changes so that we could comply with the firms policies and procedures.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, I loved being part of the BDO family and loved making their job enjoyable as well
Pros
always appreciated, week off at Christmas to new years
Cons
health benefits Cigna was not the best for Alaska
Always busy never bored
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2015
I very much enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were respectful and always willing to help out. The hardest part of my job was managing three offices and making sure I was communicating to the staff at each location of any building announcements from building alerts such as security issues, fire drills, teamster rallies near front entrance, electrical testing shutdowns to local building events. I learned how unionized Philadelphia is. Any work or items moved needs to be completed by a union worker.
Great place for recent college grads
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  AtlantaJune 1, 2015
A great place to start career in public accounting. They provide a lot of training and immediate support. The expectations are high and they are reluctant to promote, but rather hire mid-level management from other firms
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
Stress, unreasonable expectations
Start Work in October
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
I have yet to start work and am looking for temporary employment until my start date. However, throughout the interview process I was extremely pleased with all the people I met.
Travelling Branch
IT Application Support (Former Employee) –  Greenhills, OHMay 25, 2015
The day I started we have a training and its funny
and interesting.
after 2 weeks of Training we assigned to a branch everyday to upgrade the system it hard because the work is overtime..but im glad i surpass and finish my job well done.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
12hours
So much knowledge and great people
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2015
I was only an intern during the busy tax season, but this company and people were so great to work with. I learned so much from everyone from management to staff accountants. I could not have asked for a better experience or a better group of people to spend a stressful season with.
Pros
the culture, the people, free lunch and dinner, ice cream socials, chair massages
Cons
Can have long hours but that goes with the territory
Great culture and lots of perks
Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  houstonApril 8, 2015
I love my co-workers and the firm culture. The partners are also super involved and make sure that our needs are being met.
Staff Tax Accountant
Experienced Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2015
I have really loved working with BDO. They are an amazing company. BDO values work life balance and their employees. The people I've worked are great people who care a lot of their profession as well as your needs. They will try their best to help any of their employees accomplish their professional goals. If you want to go work for a public accounting firm, go BDO. "People who know, know BDO."
Great place to learn
Information Systems Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2015
Get your experience and then move to corporate. Busy season is brutal. My advice is to get into a group that doesn't travel if you want to maintain somewhat of a social life.
fun workplace and very easy going
Graphics and Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  La Jolla, CAMarch 3, 2015
i have alot of friends there that are great people, very laid back and easy going, we all worked very hard there and it paid off, learned alot from them
Valuable experience in getting exposure to auditing non-for-profit clients and privately held companies.
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MarylandFebruary 10, 2015
The job provided great opportunity to gain knowledge and skills performing financial statement audits. They train and prepare you to perform audits at a rapid rate. Your responsibilities grow and within two years you will be in charge of performing the audit from the planning phase to performing audits on complex financial statement areas. Management could make improvements by improving the budgets for each job and setting realistic expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with different people and being able to learn from them.