BDO Employee Reviews

Bdo
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2016
Quarterbacking the sales pipeline. Phone calls, meetings, prospecting, managing the team and sales cycle cradle to grave.
Learned plenty about Audit, tax and consulting services within the accounting world. Some great folks that work there. However a few bad apples that don't understand the concept of team, and the branch leadership does not understand lacks imagination, and seems to only gravitate towards folks just like them rather then welcoming diversity of thought. Enjoyed working with several field members.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lacking team concept
fun, supportive envirnonment
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 4, 2015
the motto at BDO was work hard play hard. they had a wonderful way of making everyone feel valued and appreciated. During Tax season the hours were long and they made sure their were opportunities to take a break. they hired a masseuse, they also provided lunch or dinner every night during Tax season. The partners never made you feel they were superior, they were very approachable and could talk to them about anything. They always had opportunity for job advancement as well as support any personal growth you were working on.
the hardest part was being part of a large national firm was Alaska is unique and we didn't always fit the everyday mold of the rest of the company. We had to make changes so that we could comply with the firms policies and procedures.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, I loved being part of the BDO family and loved making their job enjoyable as well
Pros
always appreciated, week off at Christmas to new years
Cons
health benefits Cigna was not the best for Alaska
Post-Acquisition pains, inefficient software, lack of training
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 10, 2016
18 months after acquisition, company is still not through the transition process. IT applications are ok individually, but the way they are combined is ridiculous, inefficient, and frustrating. 70 billable hours requirement for 10 weeks in a row during busy season, and you are still not able to finish your work. A lot of miscommunication on benefits, and bonus system (not in employees' favor of course). People are great in overall, real open-door policy, managers are friendly and trying to be helpful. The scope of work is good too, a lot of exposure to various types of returns, and different industries. The place has a great potential, and will be a good workplace again, once transition is over.
Great benefits
Legal/HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2015
They were starting to downsize a short while after I started. I ended up only working for one attorney when I started working for two. So I then had to find stuff to do, which made a work day kind of boring

they had great beneits & I made some friends there
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work day was slow
Very poor management
HR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2016
A typical day working for a manager who had no organization skills was months of grueling insane working conditions!! Work/life balance what a joke ! M-F 10 HR days and weekends still required and they gloat about how wonderful the people are !?!? Sr management was remote in a different state and no communication or follow up to determine if the team is managed correctly. Sad organization !
Pros
All kinds of mismanaged benefits
Cons
The list is endless
Good Starting Accounting Firm
Senior Assurance Associate/Hedge Funds (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2016
I have learned a ton about Microsoft Excel and a lot of basics revolving around internal controls, various financial statement areas and related testing, and the auditing process in general.

For the most part, my co-workers and management were great, but like any place there are a few bad apples.

If you do what you're supposed to do, there is plenty of room to advance. Compensation once you begin advancing seems to be more about who you know and who likes/dislikes you than the amount/quality of the work you put in, but it could be like that everywhere.

The hardest part of the job is managing the long busy season hours. If you have kids at home, this is much more difficult to juggle.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers. Most jobs come down to the people you work with, and like I said, for the most part, I work with some excellent people.
Pros
Lot of learning opportunities, ability to experience multiple industries, good overall office culture, very nice people, plenty of opportunities to get CPE while on the clock
Cons
Busy season hours, scorecard system constantly in flux, compensation below average, expanding faster than they can hire staff, audit workspace often is slow/time consuming to use and you must use it
Good place to learn and be exposed to different clients
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2016
Great resume builder as you learn about various clients in different industries playing in different market sectors. Depending on your manager or supervisor, you can learn a lot technically. However, you'll have to take initiative to learn US GAAP, GAAS, and Industry-Specific guidelines to advance outside of the Firm.
Cons
No work life balance
Balance Expectations
Intern (Former Employee) –  ClarkJanuary 20, 2016
Learnt a lot of practical application of Audit. From planning, to risk assessment to actual field work.

Briefly touch on various aspects of audit due to the structure of the internship programme. Was able to go on multiple different engagements that make learning a memorable one.

Long hours of vouching could be the most difficult part as it requires thorough focus and searching of information.
Pros
Young staffs which are easy to communicate and very friendly. Makes the environment more enjoyable
Cons
Constantly busy staffs that make a lot of learning more independent.
Not good
Business Development Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2016
They treat you like a number
The Leadership from a local level is inconsistent with he National Mission
They state they want to grow but don't follow the road map for the growth
not really inviting to diversity
challenging to be candid
Pros
good starting salary
Cons
not a good community oriented firm
Enjoyable place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2016
BDO cares for their employees. This is an enjoyable place to work. I learned a lot while I was there. I only worked there as a temp employee but they treated me as a regular.
Typical job for an Audit/Tax Intern
Audit intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2016
The industry is tough, so they work you hard. I wouldn't recommend this type of job for someone who wants a perfect work/life balance. Extremely fast-paced. Great for someone who wants to hit the ground running, and is willing to learn.
Nice people; Unclear direction
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
The group that I worked with at BDO worked in a manner more consistent with a contingent labor force as opposed to their advertised consulting team.
Productive work place
Core Tax Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2016
The job was very detail oriented but there were always people to help you complete tasks if you were unsure of what you were doing.
Challenging work that promotes professional growth and leadership responsibilities
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2015
A great experience that has posed great learning opportunities and challenges in my growth professionally. Great exposure to complex clients and discussions w/ key management personnel at large companies. Like most public accounting firms the nature of the work consists of lots of travel and out of town work.
Pros
Learning opportunities and professional growth
Cons
Work Life Balance
great culture
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 9, 2016
Great culture for a growing firm.

Positive leadership.

Tone is set at the top and permeates through the organization.

Excellent communication.
It was painful but I gained a lot from Auditing experience at BDO
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  ChinaJanuary 15, 2016
I engaged in the annual audit of a manufacturing company with two associates and one senior associate and I usually contacted clients to inquire updated trial balance for financial statements on a daily basis and prepared worksheets for assets breakdown. I was assigned to examined bank reconciliation of the clients, and after that, I led other interns to perform detail tests on material transactions.

I learned how to use MS Office Suite well, improved my interpersonal skills and enrich my knowledge in external auditing.
Not a good place to work
International Tax Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 31, 2016
BDO is not a good place to work. The most untechnical people I have ever seen. Environment is good but work is very low level.
Lots of Opportunity for growth and promotion
Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 2, 2016
No day is a typical day. In auditing you spend time at clients, in the office or working remotely.There is always room for growth and opportunities. Every day is a new day.
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Reviewer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
- Work hard, take care of the people who work there
- Very smart and intellectual people, who take their work very seriously
- Long hours, but a great place to work
Bdo
Assurance Senior (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX 78745May 23, 2016
Not a lot of work life balance. Decent culture but very demanding. Pay not really better than a smaller firm. words words words words

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.