BDO Employee Reviews

Great family oriented company, very flexible!
Learning Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work is very busy, doing a lot of data entry and working with complex programs.

I learned a lot here! I had to learn all of their training systems and I also expanded my knowledge in Excel.

Management is great!! Couldn't say enough good things about the management here!

The hardest part of this job is making sure you're very attentive to the details. This is a very detail oriented job!

I love everything about this job, I love the people, I love the company, and I love what I'm doing!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No room for advancment
BDO is a challenging working place where I can utlize my expertise and at the same time makes me learn new things. People are friendly and hellpful
Special Tax Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 4, 2017
A typical work day includes fulfilling the requirements for the Expatriate tax, Transfer Pricing, International tax. For instance setting up the project codes for various projects, clients. Usage of PeopleSoft system software.Setting up travel arrangements, handling expenses, time entry etc. Handling billing for various clients. The workplace culture is very friendly and the people at work are really helpful. The Directors, Senior Managers help you to progress.

We got busy season breaks, helping employees to give a relaxing time during the tax busy season.
Rapid Growth, Room for Advancement
Core Tax Services Experienced Associate/Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2017
BDO USA LLP is a standard workplace in public accounting comparable to a Big Four experience. As a mid-market accounting services firm, it is rapidly growing and offers opportunities to explore a variety of industries and client types.
Pros
Good training program and resources available, opportunities for professional growth
Cons
Work/Life balance leaves a lot to be desired
Low job security - long hours - decent pay
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 19, 2017
Pay is decent and the benefits are decent. Plenty of free happy hours or golf outings if you stay long enough. Lots of nice dinners if you travel a lot. But the hours can slid up north of 60 hours per week during the winter. Working 7 days a week for months on end is tough.
Pros
Free food, decent pay
Cons
lots of travel, long hours
BDO was a very professional environment,
Word processing operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Working for this company was a great pleasure, BDO is a very professional company, it is the #4 biggest accounting firm in the country. I would recommend anyone to work for this company,
Pros
working on Saturdays during crunch times for extra cash
Cons
no pension plan
Good Opporunities
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 20, 2016
Outstanding corporate culture, currently implementing long-term growth strategy. Enjoyable work, good people.

CEO has developed clear direction and firm management supports vision. Implementation is coming smoothly
Pros
Work/Life
Cons
Travel
Good place to learn and be exposed to different clients
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2016
Great resume builder as you learn about various clients in different industries playing in different market sectors. Depending on your manager or supervisor, you can learn a lot technically. However, you'll have to take initiative to learn US GAAP, GAAS, and Industry-Specific guidelines to advance outside of the Firm.
Cons
No work life balance
Post-Acquisition pains, inefficient software, lack of training
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 10, 2016
18 months after acquisition, company is still not through the transition process. IT applications are ok individually, but the way they are combined is ridiculous, inefficient, and frustrating. 70 billable hours requirement for 10 weeks in a row during busy season, and you are still not able to finish your work. A lot of miscommunication on benefits, and bonus system (not in employees' favor of course). People are great in overall, real open-door policy, managers are friendly and trying to be helpful. The scope of work is good too, a lot of exposure to various types of returns, and different industries. The place has a great potential, and will be a good workplace again, once transition is over.
Very poor management
HR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2016
A typical day working for a manager who had no organization skills was months of grueling insane working conditions!! Work/life balance what a joke ! M-F 10 HR days and weekends still required and they gloat about how wonderful the people are !?!? Sr management was remote in a different state and no communication or follow up to determine if the team is managed correctly. Sad organization !
Pros
All kinds of mismanaged benefits
Cons
The list is endless
Fun Placed to work
Tax Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2016
Learned to managed time for my assigned task. . Nothing is hard when there is a team work. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I communicate with my clients and able to resolve any problems that they may have.
Pros
Activities
Cons
Downtime
Not good
Business Development Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2016
They treat you like a number
The Leadership from a local level is inconsistent with he National Mission
They state they want to grow but don't follow the road map for the growth
not really inviting to diversity
challenging to be candid
Pros
good starting salary
Cons
not a good community oriented firm
Assurance Department
Auditor In - Charge/Assurance Senior (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2016
Fast paced environment, learn a lot but with that comes working long hours.Fairly typical public accounting firm; however they are flexible when it comes to personal life events.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2017
BDO is a great place to work coming out of Big Four public accounting, however Management is a bit demanding and unrealistic.
Accounting Firm
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2016
Hardest part of job is lack of resources for non-client facing divisions of firm. Outdated technology but some great people.
Bdo
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2016
Quarterbacking the sales pipeline. Phone calls, meetings, prospecting, managing the team and sales cycle cradle to grave.
Learned plenty about Audit, tax and consulting services within the accounting world. Some great folks that work there. However a few bad apples that don't understand the concept of team, and the branch leadership does not understand lacks imagination, and seems to only gravitate towards folks just like them rather then welcoming diversity of thought. Enjoyed working with several field members.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lacking team concept
Enjoyable place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2016
BDO cares for their employees. This is an enjoyable place to work. I learned a lot while I was there. I only worked there as a temp employee but they treated me as a regular.
Typical job for an Audit/Tax Intern
Audit intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2016
The industry is tough, so they work you hard. I wouldn't recommend this type of job for someone who wants a perfect work/life balance. Extremely fast-paced. Great for someone who wants to hit the ground running, and is willing to learn.
Nice people; Unclear direction
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
The group that I worked with at BDO worked in a manner more consistent with a contingent labor force as opposed to their advertised consulting team.
Productive work place
Core Tax Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2016
The job was very detail oriented but there were always people to help you complete tasks if you were unsure of what you were doing.
Lots of Opportunity for growth and promotion
Assurance Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 2, 2016
No day is a typical day. In auditing you spend time at clients, in the office or working remotely.There is always room for growth and opportunities. Every day is a new day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.