BDO

BDO Employer Reviews

Great Working Atmosphere
Senior Consultant - Federal Practice (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: flexibility, friendly atmosphere
Cons: benefits are so-so compared to other professional services firms
The staff at BDO are a great mix of driven and friendly. I really enjoy working for my immediate manager and partner. The work has been stimulating but not overwhelming.
Business culture
Intern (Former Employee), Puerto RicoDecember 3, 2014
Opportunity to grow within the company. Very nice work ethics, culture and place to work. Nice holiday parties, great decoration and work space. Located in the heart of Santurce. Parking available for employees.
Good Place to work. Productive work place.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 17, 2014
Accounting consulting firm. Small IT shop about 100 employees. Good team environment.
Corporate culture is great but not in the Wilmington office
Tax Department Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 7, 2014
Pros: flex work schedules
Cons: weak office management
Communication with clients re planning or tax notices. Supervised and trained tax staff. Created CPE for courses for staff and participated in national training. Attended networking and marketing events.
Audit Intern
Audit Intern (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLNovember 3, 2014
Excellent experience in the world of public accounting.

The hours can be long, but with hard work it pays off.
BDO's New York office is amazingly awful
Tax (Current Employee), New YorkNovember 2, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours, no training, no work/life balance, outdated software systems, low pay
The office is extremely disorganized, management and partners are not willing to teach, there is favoritism, and you are expected to work 75+ hours almost each week. On top of that, they underpay their employes compared to the market rate.

Office environment is depressing. There are no windows. Software programs are outdated and time consuming. People – more... are not nice and not willing to help.

Upper management provides no training, nor do they have time to answer questions.

Almost all of the staff want to quit, and are consistently looking for other jobs. – less
Good Company
Litigation Paralegal / AML Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: all jobs are contract/temp positions
Great place to work.

asdnfjshfljsdahfljsaf

sdfjldsnfljdfnjdf
sjdnfjldsnfjlsdnfljsnf
Great experience
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), BostonOctober 27, 2014
Considering that I was the project manager and was assigning tasks to my colleague, I thought that I should have led the overall development of the framework. Based on the discussion my colleague, my team member suggested that he has developed several frameworks in his past career life and that he wants to take a lead with developing the outline for – more... this engagement. Ideally this was the responsibility of the project manager and I should have taken this responsibility. However, on second thought, I agreed that my team member had better experience developing best practices audit framework for large companies. I decided that I would let him take the lead on the engagement and that I would assist him as and where I can. He asked me to do a thorough research on various industry best practices frameworks. I readily agreed and started researching on audit frameworks. I researched on COBIT and COSO frameworks and developed gap assessment with these standards for the client. I brainstormed ideas with my colleague and while discussing my ideas he drafted an outline which used a combination of COSO and COBIT framework. This was an interesting experience for me since it could not envision that the problem at hand could have been best solved by combining two industry best practices instead of using one of them. Even though this could have solved the engagement at hand, it would still not be the best solution for this client. I had a deep discussion with my colleague and it seemed that utilizing the combination of both frameworks was an ideal solution.
As part of the deliverables, we developed the gap assessment, overall audit architecture methodology, detailed reports and a presentation for the client's senior management. We had a chance to present this report to the management where I allowed my colleague take the lead as he understood the intermingling of two frameworks much better than myself. At the end of presentation, the client was quite impressed with our effort and decided that the recommendations provided by us were not just unique but also suited to their environment and culture.
After the successful completion of the engagement, I realized that being a project leader does not mean that I have to impose my ideas and suggestions even if there are better suggestions from team members. In this engagement, I had to take a step back and let my colleague take charge as he had better grasp of the technical nuances of the project. I readily assisted my colleague during the project and did as he suggested. Even though simpler tasks like making a presentation or reviewing reports were menial tests that I used to assign to junior consultants in past engagements, I was doing these activities on this engagement. There were several things that I learned from this experience. I learned that it is alright to give charge and authority to another professional who has better skills for the engagement at hand. I also realized that even though I was the face for this client, it was alright for me to allow my colleague to take the lead in client presentation. At the end of the day, it was the team work and a better understanding between both of us that resulted in a successful engagement. Many a time having conflicting views in a team does not mean there is disagreement of prospective solutions but instead it brings about a need for adaptability to ensure the end goal is accomplished.
After the engagement was completed, I reported back to my partner with the feedback on my colleague's work and also explained how the client was impressed with our final deliverables. I gave an "outstanding" rating to my colleague for this engagement. My partner was also impressed that I let my colleague take charge on this project and that we resolved our issues in a professional demeanor. Couple months down the line from this engagement, the client came back suggested that they needed help with another engagement. My partner reached out to me and my colleague and suggested that we both have to be in sync and provide the best solution as we did from the last engagement. Hence, we not only retained our client but also were able to build strong relationship among ourselves and with the client. – less
N/A
Audit Associate - Woodbridge (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
BDO is a good place to work. Has good work/life balance and compensation is above average (as per glassdoor). Each group has a small amount of employees so the advancing in your position is easier than in other companies.
N/A
Assistant General Counsel (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2014
BDO USA is a midsized professional services firm with all the advantages and disadvantages of such a firm.
Great Firm with Great People
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 11, 2014
BDO is a great place to work with lots of opportunity for advancement. I enjoy the people and the atmosphere. The most difficult part of the job is the lack of work-life balance for a majority of the year.
Good Entry level experience
Assurance Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: volunteer & public service opportunities.
Gained basic audit experience in a professional setting.
Management generally accessible to address concerns.
Congenial atmosphere for a large firm.
Very long hours, typical public accounting firm.
Tax Staff (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2014
Great learning experience. Work on a number of different types of tax returns. No work/life balance.
Traditonal Audit / tax firm, but not the largest, particularly in consulting
Senior Manager, Forensic Accounting Group (Former Employee), Nww York, NYJuly 18, 2014
Pros: i challenging place to work
Cons: they have a lot of turn-over
Pro and con says it all. The management will tell you the turnover is low, but found the opposite to be true. The works is challenging, but there is not enough of it.
Company is ok
Sr. Associate (Former Employee), TXJuly 8, 2014
You will be scheduled on jobs, but there will usually not be much communication with management or partners. Planning usually isn't adequate or done too late. Managers either over audit or under audit. There is no balance. Company has competitive benefits.
Great Place to Build a Career
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJuly 1, 2014
Pros: great social events such as lunches, dinners, happy hours, softball teams, and golf outings
Cons: n/a
BDO has an excellent reputation for both career advancement and work/life balance. My seniors and managers did a good job explaining assignments and were always willing to answer any questions that I had. The partners that I met were genuine and down to earth. The work is challenging and rewarding and there is a good variety of responsibility.
A great place to learn and gain experience
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2014
I was treated as any other employee and not as an intern. I was given responsibility of any other associate and this made it possible for me to learn and gain experience. I respected that I was treated as any other and wanted to complete my work accurately and thoroughly. The office was a great environment to work in. I looked forward to working each – more... day. – less
good people
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2014
Partners work 15 hour days and expect other to do the same. Everyone works to a very high ethical standard.
Great, employee friendly and awesome
Manager, Outsourced Financial Systems (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 3, 2014
Pros: employee friendly, growth
BDO was a fabulous place to grow individually and professionally, all while maintaining a positive work-life balance. BDO has high expectations, but is a very rewarding environment.
Over-worked for the pay...
Experienced Auditor, CPA (Current Employee), CAMarch 30, 2014
Pros: advancement and learning.
Cons: pay vs work-load
Ability to advance but the work-load is more demanding than what the compensation amounts to.

1 2 3 4

About BDO

BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of – Read more