BDO Employee Reviews

Low job security - long hours - decent pay
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 19, 2017
Pay is decent and the benefits are decent. Plenty of free happy hours or golf outings if you stay long enough. Lots of nice dinners if you travel a lot. But the hours can slid up north of 60 hours per week during the winter. Working 7 days a week for months on end is tough.
Pros
Free food, decent pay
Cons
lots of travel, long hours
BDO was a very professional environment,
Word processing operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2017
Working for this company was a great pleasure, BDO is a very professional company, it is the #4 biggest accounting firm in the country. I would recommend anyone to work for this company,
Pros
working on Saturdays during crunch times for extra cash
Cons
no pension plan
BDO is a challenging working place where I can utlize my expertise and at the same time makes me learn new things. People are friendly and hellpful
Special Tax Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 4, 2017
A typical work day includes fulfilling the requirements for the Expatriate tax, Transfer Pricing, International tax. For instance setting up the project codes for various projects, clients. Usage of PeopleSoft system software.Setting up travel arrangements, handling expenses, time entry etc. Handling billing for various clients. The workplace culture is very friendly and the people at work are really helpful. The Directors, Senior Managers help you to progress.

We got busy season breaks, helping employees to give a relaxing time during the tax busy season.
Rapid Growth, Room for Advancement
Core Tax Services Experienced Associate/Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2017
BDO USA LLP is a standard workplace in public accounting comparable to a Big Four experience. As a mid-market accounting services firm, it is rapidly growing and offers opportunities to explore a variety of industries and client types.
Pros
Good training program and resources available, opportunities for professional growth
Cons
Work/Life balance leaves a lot to be desired
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2017
BDO is a great place to work coming out of Big Four public accounting, however Management is a bit demanding and unrealistic.
Great family oriented company, very flexible!
Learning Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at work is very busy, doing a lot of data entry and working with complex programs.

I learned a lot here! I had to learn all of their training systems and I also expanded my knowledge in Excel.

Management is great!! Couldn't say enough good things about the management here!

The hardest part of this job is making sure you're very attentive to the details. This is a very detail oriented job!

I love everything about this job, I love the people, I love the company, and I love what I'm doing!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No room for advancment
Good Opporunities
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 20, 2016
Outstanding corporate culture, currently implementing long-term growth strategy. Enjoyable work, good people.

CEO has developed clear direction and firm management supports vision. Implementation is coming smoothly
Pros
Work/Life
Cons
Travel
Assurance Department
Auditor In - Charge/Assurance Senior (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2016
Fast paced environment, learn a lot but with that comes working long hours.Fairly typical public accounting firm; however they are flexible when it comes to personal life events.
Fun Placed to work
Tax Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2016
Learned to managed time for my assigned task. . Nothing is hard when there is a team work. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I communicate with my clients and able to resolve any problems that they may have.
Pros
Activities
Cons
Downtime
Accounting Firm
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2016
Hardest part of job is lack of resources for non-client facing divisions of firm. Outdated technology but some great people.
Not good
Business Development Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 30, 2016
They treat you like a number
The Leadership from a local level is inconsistent with he National Mission
They state they want to grow but don't follow the road map for the growth
not really inviting to diversity
challenging to be candid
Pros
good starting salary
Cons
not a good community oriented firm
Good Starting Accounting Firm
Senior Assurance Associate/Hedge Funds (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2016
I have learned a ton about Microsoft Excel and a lot of basics revolving around internal controls, various financial statement areas and related testing, and the auditing process in general.

For the most part, my co-workers and management were great, but like any place there are a few bad apples.

If you do what you're supposed to do, there is plenty of room to advance. Compensation once you begin advancing seems to be more about who you know and who likes/dislikes you than the amount/quality of the work you put in, but it could be like that everywhere.

The hardest part of the job is managing the long busy season hours. If you have kids at home, this is much more difficult to juggle.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers. Most jobs come down to the people you work with, and like I said, for the most part, I work with some excellent people.
Pros
Lot of learning opportunities, ability to experience multiple industries, good overall office culture, very nice people, plenty of opportunities to get CPE while on the clock
Cons
Busy season hours, scorecard system constantly in flux, compensation below average, expanding faster than they can hire staff, audit workspace often is slow/time consuming to use and you must use it
Good place to learn and be exposed to different clients
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2016
Great resume builder as you learn about various clients in different industries playing in different market sectors. Depending on your manager or supervisor, you can learn a lot technically. However, you'll have to take initiative to learn US GAAP, GAAS, and Industry-Specific guidelines to advance outside of the Firm.
Cons
No work life balance
Post-Acquisition pains, inefficient software, lack of training
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 10, 2016
18 months after acquisition, company is still not through the transition process. IT applications are ok individually, but the way they are combined is ridiculous, inefficient, and frustrating. 70 billable hours requirement for 10 weeks in a row during busy season, and you are still not able to finish your work. A lot of miscommunication on benefits, and bonus system (not in employees' favor of course). People are great in overall, real open-door policy, managers are friendly and trying to be helpful. The scope of work is good too, a lot of exposure to various types of returns, and different industries. The place has a great potential, and will be a good workplace again, once transition is over.
Very poor management
HR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2016
A typical day working for a manager who had no organization skills was months of grueling insane working conditions!! Work/life balance what a joke ! M-F 10 HR days and weekends still required and they gloat about how wonderful the people are !?!? Sr management was remote in a different state and no communication or follow up to determine if the team is managed correctly. Sad organization !
Pros
All kinds of mismanaged benefits
Cons
The list is endless
Enjoyable place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2016
BDO cares for their employees. This is an enjoyable place to work. I learned a lot while I was there. I only worked there as a temp employee but they treated me as a regular.
Nice people; Unclear direction
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
The group that I worked with at BDO worked in a manner more consistent with a contingent labor force as opposed to their advertised consulting team.
Productive work place
Core Tax Services Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 22, 2016
The job was very detail oriented but there were always people to help you complete tasks if you were unsure of what you were doing.
great culture
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 9, 2016
Great culture for a growing firm.

Positive leadership.

Tone is set at the top and permeates through the organization.

Excellent communication.
Not a good place to work
International Tax Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 31, 2016
BDO is not a good place to work. The most untechnical people I have ever seen. Environment is good but work is very low level.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BDO. Our community is ready to answer.