BDO

BDO Employee Reviews

Always busy never bored
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2015
I very much enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were respectful and always willing to help out. The hardest part of my job was managing three offices and making sure I was communicating to the staff at each location of any building announcements from building alerts such as security issues, fire drills, teamster rallies near front entrance, electrical testing shutdowns to local building events. I learned how unionized Philadelphia is. Any work or items moved needs to be completed by a union worker.
Great place for recent college grads
Tax Associate (Current Employee), AtlantaJune 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, flexible hours
Cons: Stress, unreasonable expectations
A great place to start career in public accounting. They provide a lot of training and immediate support. The expectations are high and they are reluctant to promote, but rather hire mid-level management from other firms
Start Work in October
Assurance Associate (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
I have yet to start work and am looking for temporary employment until my start date. However, throughout the interview process I was extremely pleased with all the people I met.
Travelling Branch
IT Application Support (Former Employee), Greenhills, OHMay 25, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 12hours
The day I started we have a training and its funny
and interesting.
after 2 weeks of Training we assigned to a branch everyday to upgrade the system it hard because the work is overtime..but im glad i surpass and finish my job well done.
So much knowledge and great people
Tax Intern (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2015
Pros: the culture, the people, free lunch and dinner, ice cream socials, chair massages
Cons: Can have long hours but that goes with the territory
I was only an intern during the busy tax season, but this company and people were so great to work with. I learned so much from everyone from management to staff accountants. I could not have asked for a better experience or a better group of people to spend a stressful season with.
Great culture and lots of perks
Staff Auditor (Current Employee), houstonApril 8, 2015
I love my co-workers and the firm culture. The partners are also super involved and make sure that our needs are being met.
Staff Tax Accountant
Experienced Tax Associate (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 9, 2015
I have really loved working with BDO. They are an amazing company. BDO values work life balance and their employees. The people I've worked are great people who care a lot of their profession as well as your needs. They will try their best to help any of their employees accomplish their professional goals. If you want to go work for a public accounting firm, go BDO. "People who know, know BDO."
Great place to learn
Information Systems Assurance Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 3, 2015
Get your experience and then move to corporate. Busy season is brutal. My advice is to get into a group that doesn't travel if you want to maintain somewhat of a social life.
fun workplace and very easy going
Graphics and Marketing Consultant (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAMarch 3, 2015
i have alot of friends there that are great people, very laid back and easy going, we all worked very hard there and it paid off, learned alot from them
Valuable experience in getting exposure to auditing non-for-profit clients and privately held companies.
Senior Associate (Former Employee), Bethesda, MarylandFebruary 10, 2015
The job provided great opportunity to gain knowledge and skills performing financial statement audits. They train and prepare you to perform audits at a rapid rate. Your responsibilities grow and within two years you will be in charge of performing the audit from the planning phase to performing audits on complex financial statement areas. Management could make improvements by improving the budgets for each job and setting realistic expectations. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with different people and being able to learn from them.
Great Working Atmosphere
Senior Consultant - Federal Practice (Current Employee), Bethesda, MDDecember 8, 2014
Pros: flexibility, friendly atmosphere
Cons: benefits are so-so compared to other professional services firms
The staff at BDO are a great mix of driven and friendly. I really enjoy working for my immediate manager and partner. The work has been stimulating but not overwhelming.
Business culture
Intern (Former Employee), Puerto RicoDecember 3, 2014
Opportunity to grow within the company. Very nice work ethics, culture and place to work. Nice holiday parties, great decoration and work space. Located in the heart of Santurce. Parking available for employees.
Good Place to work. Productive work place.
Software Developer (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MINovember 17, 2014
Accounting consulting firm. Small IT shop about 100 employees. Good team environment.
Corporate culture is great but not in the Wilmington office
Tax Department Manager (Former Employee), Wilmington, DENovember 7, 2014
Pros: flex work schedules
Cons: weak office management
Communication with clients re planning or tax notices. Supervised and trained tax staff. Created CPE for courses for staff and participated in national training. Attended networking and marketing events.
Audit Intern
Audit Intern (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLNovember 3, 2014
Excellent experience in the world of public accounting.

The hours can be long, but with hard work it pays off.
BDO's New York office is amazingly awful
Tax (Current Employee), New YorkNovember 2, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: long hours, no training, no work/life balance, outdated software systems, low pay
The office is extremely disorganized, management and partners are not willing to teach, there is favoritism, and you are expected to work 75+ hours almost each week. On top of that, they underpay their employes compared to the market rate.

Office environment is depressing. There are no windows. Software programs are outdated and time consuming. People are not nice and not willing to help.

Upper management provides no training, nor do they have time to answer questions.

Almost all of the staff want to quit, and are consistently looking for other jobs.
Good Company
Litigation Paralegal / AML Compliance Analyst (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 31, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: all jobs are contract/temp positions
Great place to work.

asdnfjshfljsdahfljsaf

sdfjldsnfljdfnjdf
sjdnfjldsnfjlsdnfljsnf
Great experience
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), BostonOctober 27, 2014
Considering that I was the project manager and was assigning tasks to my colleague, I thought that I should have led the overall development of the framework. Based on the discussion my colleague, my team member suggested that he has developed several frameworks in his past career life and that he wants to take a lead with developing the outline for this engagement. Ideally this was the responsibility – more... of the project manager and I should have taken this responsibility. However, on second thought, I agreed that my team member had better experience developing best practices audit framework for large companies. I decided that I would let him take the lead on the engagement and that I would assist him as and where I can. He asked me to do a thorough research on various industry best practices frameworks. I readily agreed and started researching on audit frameworks. I researched on COBIT and COSO frameworks and developed gap assessment with these standards for the client. I brainstormed ideas with my colleague and while discussing my ideas he drafted an outline which used a combination of COSO and COBIT framework. This was an interesting experience for me since it could not envision that the problem at hand could have been best solved by combining two industry best practices instead of using one of them. Even though this could have solved the engagement at hand, it would still not be the best solution for this client. I had a deep discussion with my colleague and it seemed that utilizing the combination of both frameworks was an ideal solution.
As part of the deliverables, we developed the gap assessment, overall audit architecture methodology, detailed reports and a presentation for the client's senior management. We had a chance to present this report to the management where I allowed my colleague take the lead as he understood the intermingling of two frameworks much better than myself. At the end of presentation, the client was quite impressed with our effort and decided that the recommendations provided by us were not just unique but also suited to their environment and culture.
After the successful completion of the engagement, I realized that being a project leader does not mean that I have to impose my ideas and suggestions even if there are better suggestions from team members. In this engagement, I had to take a step back and let my colleague take charge as he had better grasp of the technical nuances of the project. I readily assisted my colleague during the project and did as he suggested. Even though simpler tasks like making a presentation or reviewing reports were menial tests that I used to assign to junior consultants in past engagements, I was doing these activities on this engagement. There were several things that I learned from this experience. I learned that it is alright to give charge and authority to another professional who has better skills for the engagement at hand. I also realized that even though I was the face for this client, it was alright for me to allow my colleague to take the lead in client presentation. At the end of the day, it was the team work and a better understanding between both of us that resulted in a successful engagement. Many a time having conflicting views in a team does not mean there is disagreement of prospective solutions but instead it brings about a need for adaptability to ensure the end goal is accomplished.
After the engagement was completed, I reported back to my partner with the feedback on my colleague's work and also explained how the client was impressed with our final deliverables. I gave an "outstanding" rating to my colleague for this engagement. My partner was also impressed that I let my colleague take charge on this project and that we resolved our issues in a professional demeanor. Couple months down the line from this engagement, the client came back suggested that they needed help with another engagement. My partner reached out to me and my colleague and suggested that we both have to be in sync and provide the best solution as we did from the last engagement. Hence, we not only retained our client but also were able to build strong relationship among ourselves and with the client. – less
N/A
Audit Associate - Woodbridge (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 15, 2014
BDO is a good place to work. Has good work/life balance and compensation is above average (as per glassdoor). Each group has a small amount of employees so the advancing in your position is easier than in other companies.
N/A
Assistant General Counsel (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 24, 2014
BDO USA is a midsized professional services firm with all the advantages and disadvantages of such a firm.

1 2 3

About BDO

BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of – Read more

BDO Salaries