BDO Employee Reviews in United States

Firm in the GR area
Software Operation Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 12, 2016
Typical work today: Too much work, not enough time to breathe.
Learned a lot, but no down time to be
Young management, more focus on work than people.
Enjoyed working with Co-Workers, make it bearable at times.
Hard part is having to adjust plan family vacation to accommodate work every year.
Pros
Work from home sometimes
Cons
Micro-management
Bdo
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2016
Quarterbacking the sales pipeline. Phone calls, meetings, prospecting, managing the team and sales cycle cradle to grave.
Learned plenty about Audit, tax and consulting services within the accounting world. Some great folks that work there. However a few bad apples that don't understand the concept of team, and the branch leadership does not understand lacks imagination, and seems to only gravitate towards folks just like them rather then welcoming diversity of thought. Enjoyed working with several field members.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Lacking team concept
Great Company to Work For
Real Estate Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2016
Everyone here was very helpful and wanted the Interns to succeed. They kept the interns engaged by providing a chance to experience multiple areas of work.
Learn and Develop
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 8, 2016
Fast pace growing company. Located in a Washington dc metro area. BDO is well known worldwide and has 63 offices in the USA.
Ok
Senior Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work: Auditing
What I learned: Auditing
Managment: Auditors
Co-workers: Auditors
Hardest part: Auditing
Most enjoyable part: Auditing
Pros
OK
Cons
OK
Productive and fun place to work
Financial Reviewer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2016
- Work hard, take care of the people who work there
- Very smart and intellectual people, who take their work very seriously
- Long hours, but a great place to work
Friendly place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2016
The atmosphere is nice, the people are pleasant and very helpful. The location is nice and has a wonderful view of Lake Michigan.
Balance Expectations
Intern (Former Employee) –  ClarkJanuary 20, 2016
Learnt a lot of practical application of Audit. From planning, to risk assessment to actual field work.

Briefly touch on various aspects of audit due to the structure of the internship programme. Was able to go on multiple different engagements that make learning a memorable one.

Long hours of vouching could be the most difficult part as it requires thorough focus and searching of information.
Pros
Young staffs which are easy to communicate and very friendly. Makes the environment more enjoyable
Cons
Constantly busy staffs that make a lot of learning more independent.
It was painful but I gained a lot from Auditing experience at BDO
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  ChinaJanuary 15, 2016
I engaged in the annual audit of a manufacturing company with two associates and one senior associate and I usually contacted clients to inquire updated trial balance for financial statements on a daily basis and prepared worksheets for assets breakdown. I was assigned to examined bank reconciliation of the clients, and after that, I led other interns to perform detail tests on material transactions.

I learned how to use MS Office Suite well, improved my interpersonal skills and enrich my knowledge in external auditing.
Excellent Workplace Climate
Experienced Assurance Staff (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working with everyone in the office that I encountered and they truly care about teaching you and developing you for the next level.
Analyst Review
Litigation Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 14, 2015
Most of the work is conducted independently, its expected you can handle a high workload. For new employees this can be a struggle hen your learning the work expected.
Pros
BDO Flex
Cons
Managment is not always aviable to guild.
Great benefits
Legal/HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2015
They were starting to downsize a short while after I started. I ended up only working for one attorney when I started working for two. So I then had to find stuff to do, which made a work day kind of boring

they had great beneits & I made some friends there
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work day was slow
Core Tax Services
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 20, 2015
High-paced work environment. Expected to be a quick learner and adapt to procedures and processes.Tax laws change annually so the demand for knowledgeable professionals is always high. Great work-life balance.
Challenging work that promotes professional growth and leadership responsibilities
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2015
A great experience that has posed great learning opportunities and challenges in my growth professionally. Great exposure to complex clients and discussions w/ key management personnel at large companies. Like most public accounting firms the nature of the work consists of lots of travel and out of town work.
Pros
Learning opportunities and professional growth
Cons
Work Life Balance
fun, supportive envirnonment
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 4, 2015
the motto at BDO was work hard play hard. they had a wonderful way of making everyone feel valued and appreciated. During Tax season the hours were long and they made sure their were opportunities to take a break. they hired a masseuse, they also provided lunch or dinner every night during Tax season. The partners never made you feel they were superior, they were very approachable and could talk to them about anything. They always had opportunity for job advancement as well as support any personal growth you were working on.
the hardest part was being part of a large national firm was Alaska is unique and we didn't always fit the everyday mold of the rest of the company. We had to make changes so that we could comply with the firms policies and procedures.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with, I loved being part of the BDO family and loved making their job enjoyable as well
Pros
always appreciated, week off at Christmas to new years
Cons
health benefits Cigna was not the best for Alaska
Always busy never bored
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2015
I very much enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were respectful and always willing to help out. The hardest part of my job was managing three offices and making sure I was communicating to the staff at each location of any building announcements from building alerts such as security issues, fire drills, teamster rallies near front entrance, electrical testing shutdowns to local building events. I learned how unionized Philadelphia is. Any work or items moved needs to be completed by a union worker.
Great place for recent college grads
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  AtlantaJune 1, 2015
A great place to start career in public accounting. They provide a lot of training and immediate support. The expectations are high and they are reluctant to promote, but rather hire mid-level management from other firms
Pros
Free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
Stress, unreasonable expectations
Start Work in October
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
I have yet to start work and am looking for temporary employment until my start date. However, throughout the interview process I was extremely pleased with all the people I met.
Travelling Branch
IT Application Support (Former Employee) –  Greenhills, OHMay 25, 2015
The day I started we have a training and its funny
and interesting.
after 2 weeks of Training we assigned to a branch everyday to upgrade the system it hard because the work is overtime..but im glad i surpass and finish my job well done.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
12hours
So much knowledge and great people
Tax Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 27, 2015
I was only an intern during the busy tax season, but this company and people were so great to work with. I learned so much from everyone from management to staff accountants. I could not have asked for a better experience or a better group of people to spend a stressful season with.
Pros
the culture, the people, free lunch and dinner, ice cream socials, chair massages
Cons
Can have long hours but that goes with the territory