Beacon Health Strategies, LLC Employee Reviews

Worst place to work
Provider Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAJanuary 20, 2016
I have had numerous jobs, and by far this is the worst place I have worked on so far. Management is not approachable. There is nothing to do for weeks and on top of it all you will get written up for not being productive. The rest of the employees don't have to lend a hand in anything.... you either sink of swim. The best part of my day is when I clock out and went home.
Pros
couldn't find aything
Cons
Management needs to be retrain, worst work environment, no work for weeks
Dont do it
customer service (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 19, 2016
I worked as a CSR in the call center for Provider Relations, which is still VO but in the process of merging, for nearly seven months and have no idea how I lasted one minute longer. While I have happily moved on to bigger and much better things since then, I still can’t help but go over the reviews knowing how totally accurate they are. They also make me thank my lucky stars and feel ever so fortunate for every day that I am not longer working at this place. For anyone who is reading this who is considering accepting a job offer or even a current employee, my advice is to continue looking around for a far better opportunity, then take it and run with it as fast as you can. Doing so will be the best decision you can make and your life will be better for it. The irony is that this is a health insurance company whose mission it is to help those with mental health issues at the expense of the well-being of its employees with all the unnecessary stress, pressure, and chaos that is inflicted on them on a daily basis. After leaving here, I would advise taking at least a few days to decompress and return to a normal state of mind. This job didn’t seem all too horrible at first, but then the true colors began to show themselves once I got thrown into taking claims processing calls. Over time, I was met with unrealistic expectations, increased inflexibility, forced involuntary overtime compounded with lack of adequate training and lack of support. There was also the issue of being controlled and micromanaged to the point of feeling as I were treated as nothing much more than a wayward  more... child. You can feel free to accept this job is you do not mind being thrown out onto the floor after being given a week’s worth of training for handling claims calls, if you get any at all, which is barely enough time to scratch the surface. This is made more problematic with the fact that one you are on the floor ,expected to complete an increasing unbearable work load while receiving little to no support from your supervisors or your TA’s so you are on your own for the most part. If you do decide to ask for their help, either with inquiries or if an irate customer is demanding assistance from a supervisor. They will response by either ignoring you as much as they can or fighting you or pushing back at every turn. Be prepared to be met with a rude, condescending holier than thou attitude from a supervisor or TA as if they are above helping you. Even if you have a general question, you may not get it answered in a timely manner or get a nonsensical response arguing with you about how “nothing is ever a general question” by your pompous supervisor, suggesting that he doesn’t have to answer it if you don’t categorize the nature of the question in a certain way if that makes any sense. OR your supervisor’s grand solution is to just throw on of hundreds of Policies and Procedures to read as if that is always the answer. Actually, their main concept of training involves just handing over some packet with vague information about complex material and telling you to read it, which is something that anyone can do. Let’s not forget to mention the constant pushing back and passing the buck whenever a caller requests to speak with a TA or supervisor. They would spend more time trying to make it seem like it was your problem and you would get spoken to or yet another attitude for handing off a supervisor call to a supervisor because they just want to avoid handling the caller themselves or they simply do not know what they are doing. In addition, as I have personally experienced, you may get talked down to as if you were a three year old or just as a lesser human being if you made the mistake of transferring a call to the wrong extension, which is something that happened constantly since their idea of a transfer grid is a total mess in and of itself. Speaking of being treated like you are back in nursery school, an employee is very likely to get flack for being one minute or less passed your break, getting up to go the restroom without permission, being out sick even with a doctor’s note, using your time at all, talking to co-workers even if you are not on the clock yet. Basically, you can get in trouble for doing just about anything that doesn’t involve being chained to your desk and the phone. Also, you get threatened with an occurrence if you dare to use any earned time off for any reason unless it is planned or predetermined three months in advance. Anyone who is actually in touch with reality would feasibly understand that not everything in life cannot be planned in advance since that is just not how it works in the real world.

Advice to Management

I am sure that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that your employees are your most valuale asset at the end of the day, so it is very vital to keep in mind how they are regarded in your company. If you actually show that you care about, appreciate and respect your employees then they will be motived to perform well which will in turn benefit the company. However, as long as you choose to think of your hard working employees as nothing much more cogs on a machine, robots with just a name and a number programmed to be nothing but dispensable, indentured servants who are just there so you can get your numbers and stats up to par so you look good, then continue to expect nothing but unusually high turnover rates which will only hurt you and your company’s reputation in the long run
Positive Working Environment
Clinical Administrator Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MANovember 12, 2015
Great place to work, room to move around and learn in different departments. Advancement is available for those who are willing to take advantage of it.
Pros
Floating Holiday, Community Service, monthly meetings
Good starter job
Senior Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CASeptember 18, 2015
If you are looking for a job to get your foot into the medical world, this is a good job for you. They hire people with little to no experience and train on site.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Management Communication
It is a good place to work everyone is freindly and the atmosphere is low stress
Data specialist (Current Employee) –  Woburn maSeptember 14, 2015
over all Beacon health strategies is good place to work, low stress very nice coworkers, there is free breakfast on every first Friday of the month. paid time off for full time employees comes up to about 1 month off per year
Pros
good work life balance really good time off that is paid
Cons
micro manangement
High stress and need excellent tech skills
Provider Oversite Clinical Liaison Kauai (Current Employee) –  Honolulu HawaiiAugust 19, 2015
Fun place to work although no management supported when doing remote over site
Need excellent tech skills and provides a supportive IT team
Pros
Work from home
Cons
no support staff
Good agency to work for
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 18, 2015
Busy days make the days go by fast. Can be a bit stressful but nothing no one can't handle. Need more flexibility with work schedules and time off.
Challenging position
Network Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAJune 2, 2015
Beacon Health Strategies, LLC introduced me to managed care and out patient mental health benefits in CA. My previous position was located in Maryland. Considering the landscape, there are unique rues depending on the county.
Beacon Health Straties
Intake Specialist/MSR II (Current Employee) –  Cypress CA 90630June 1, 2015
Daily task consist of loggimg in to the queues answering phones to assit ppl in obtainig psychiatry & therapy referrals. Go to meetings due current tainings. working for beacon i have learned alot in regards to mental health insurances in CA. Great Company overall , great management alomg with staff .
Pros
Great Employer
Cons
n/a
Love my job!
Business Implementation (Current Employee) –  Western RegionMay 12, 2015
At the end of every day I find myself saying how much I love my job. My manager is extremely supportive and easy to talk to. While there's always work to be done, this helps my days go by quickly and I never feel 'overwhelmed'. In my position I get to work with all departments in Beacon and find very knowledgeable, dedicated people throughout Beacon.
Pros
Work / Life Balance, Compensation, Advancement, Culture, Management
Cons
very few
CompletelyUnprofessional and Disorganized
Claims (Former Employee) –  CypressApril 14, 2015
They use the excuse of being a new company to have poor training, poor work flow guidelines, poor communication, and disorganization. People are constantly leaving the company which everyone is notified to at least 2 to 3 times a week per email. They hire mostly african americans and the darker or more urban you are, the more likely they are to treat you better. They constantly hire temps claiming they need help with their work and are understaffed, but once the temps are there they have nothing for them to do and they sit there for at least a week an a half with no work, and no login to a computer system.. They also don't have room/work stations for everyone, but keep bringing in temps with no where for them to work. They hire overqualified people and give them menial job tasks for low pay. Some of the supervisors treat the employees awful and when the employees are trained poorly by them, they blame the employee instead of their ability to train properly. I would never recommend anyone work for this company.
Managed care in a quality setting
Clinical Manager, Mental Health and SA (Former Employee) –  Woburn, MAApril 10, 2015
Cutting edge company with good compensation and learning opportunities. Staff is 'with it', and smart. High level of performance is expected, but rewarded. Overall, a 4.5 star rating.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Subject to client demands
Dynamic company with major growth over the last 5-8 years
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Woburn, MAFebruary 25, 2015
I've worked at Beacon Health Strategies for over 14 years, and have grown with the company.
The day to day work load is at times overwhelming, but very rewarding.
All the staff there are great to work with/ for.

Hardest part of the job, currently is work/ life balance with the growth of the company it is expected at times for this to be out of balance.

Best part of the day... Is when you have assisted with a member getting services they need to be a functioning part of society.
Pros
flexible schedule to work from home
Cons
work/ life balance
SQL BI developer
Database developer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 6, 2014
A typical day at work would be checking in the requests list, working on stored procedures, SSIS , SSRS or Crystal reports. Creating jobs, validating the data, meetings if any.
No Accountability
claims (Former Employee) –  cypressSeptember 22, 2014
Employees are accountable but not management. Very immature employees in all departments. No Training and expected to do your job right. .. Very busy office without enough employees to do work load. Overwhelming work load. Management has no control of department nor the gossiping.
Pros
its a job
Cons
immature staff, no training, very busy office without enough employees, lots of mistakes done daily with claims. no growth, low wages
Great Entry Level Experience
Implementation Specialist, Business Integration (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CASeptember 2, 2014
This is a great place to get core experience in the behavioral health industry.
Pros
work from home, ability to take on variety of projects, friendly co-workers
Cons
frequent change in management
poor management practices, inadequate computer system that fails frequently, does not staff appropriately for work load. punitive
case manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 4, 2014
management with punitive and inconsistent employee feedback and assessment. I.T. and system issues that plague every facet of business implementation. Do not work to improve system barriers in effective manner, rather projects individual scrutiny on employees.
Pros
compensation
Cons
workload beyond capability, policies applied inconsistently, by discretion of supervisory staff
Fast paced work environment. Lots of internal growth opportunities.
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 3, 2014
Great place to work--company is expanding and hiring internally.
Horribly Disorganized
Member Services Rep (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAJanuary 10, 2014
I worked at the Cypress Center. Workflows are changed everyday. There is little to no training. Management staff stay locked in their office for hours on end. HR comes to work with wigs on backwards and sneezes extremely loud with her mouth open several times a day. No resumes are verified or references checked. Employees are forced to work for low wages for years on end. Only 3% increments raises once a year. Solicitations to providers are mailed out to old addresses wasting thousands of dollars due to returned mail. Rude flamboyant claims manager comes to work with alcohol on his breath. Management just promoted him. This place is a wreck waiting to happen
Pros
give me a minute....
Cons
low wages, unprofessional hr, disorganized, favoritism, gay manager with alcohol breath
Productive and efficient
Quality Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 12, 2013
I am still at this company. The only reason I am leaving is because of the long commute I go through everyday to get to and from work. As far as the work atmosphere, it is decent and I enjoy working in my position and department.
Pros
benefits, experience
Cons
far commute, job relocating office