Beacon Employee Reviews

Residents were great to work for
Staff (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MIDecember 11, 2017
Management was terrible. I only been working here one week and I should have everything I need by now. I had to quit because of it. Problems with staff putting their hands on the residents for no reason. Playing around with my paycheck like I may not be getting paid due to not clocking in and out. Poor communication skills. Being told what to do by another staff member who isn't the boss of me and try to use me to do their job for them.
I have gained a wealth experience in healthcare and good working experience with other employees. Positive altitude, patience and a good listener.
LICENSE PRACTICAL NURSE (Current Employee) –  Denison, TXNovember 24, 2017
I have gained a wealth of experience, good working environment. Have a strong teamwork. Positive altitude, patience and a listener..
The hardest part of the job is when you loose a resident as we treat them as family.
Pros
Gift cards
Cons
Health insurance
poor upper management
Customer Service Super (Former Employee) –  NEWANovember 19, 2017
Beacon provided me with 2 career placement opportunities they allowed promotions for me and allowed me to advance in my career in the healthcare industry
Pros
worked directly in clients building
Cons
It's not as bad as you'd expect.
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Whitehall, MINovember 11, 2017
I thought I was coming into a nursing home based setting. I was wrong. No wiping butts for me. Clients are mentally ill, not physically impaired. Our Residents are as good as you treat them, and like all of us, they do have their bad days. So you can't expect a good day, every day. They don't pay all too much, but this field of work is overlooked by many. I have received 2 raises in the year I have worked here. My manager is an amazing woman, who is very understanding and caring of both her staff and residents. I feel valued here. I do not plan on leaving any time soon.
Pros
Decent pay, 3 days per week, feeling valued.
Cons
Long hours.
One of a kind organization
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2017
Beacon is an amazing institution. It's great to work in an environment where every team member is committed to having kids be extraordinarily successful.
Welcome to a nightmare
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Sebewaing, MISeptember 13, 2017
I worked here in the fall/winter of 2015 and found myself stressed to the point of illness with a feeling like my health and well being was of no importance. Ended up leaving after I was taken off work due to medical reasons.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Managment
was ok
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Orland, CASeptember 13, 2017
was a nice place to work was small team so everyone got along well and the manager was very nice always willing to work with you well when u needed time off
Job
Customer service representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 27, 2017
This job had unset schedule you were switched to different times to start through week & changed all the time. No paid vacation no benefits you had to work long & hard in fast paced enviroment.
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 25, 2017
It was a great opportunity but unfortunately they had to closed down the organization because it was a nonprofit and they were losing money. So financially they could not afford to pay the employees.
Nurse/Unit (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 25, 2017
Staff very friendly. Management team was awesome. Hard working staff. They care about the residents and the quality of care provided. Like with any other company you have issues but their handled professionally and fairly.
Pros
good work environment
fun place to work
printer (Current Employee) –  New Ulm, MNAugust 11, 2017
great group of people to work with, nice smiling people that are always there to help you out. Able to take time off when you need and very understanding company to work for
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
didn't match 401, short breaks
Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 29, 2017
I took care of maintaining building in good condition.

Unclogged sink, bathtubs and toilets. Fix leaks and keep the landscaping in good conditions.
An uplifting spiritual experience, writing for the church
Volunteer Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 8, 2017
NOTE: As the founder of Beacon on the Beach (I started the whole thing), Fil-Am Christian Fellowship's newsletter, I'm not sure if I can judge it through the eyes of an employee. But maybe I can. As the sole contributor to the newsletter plus being its editor-in-chief, the work was tiring most of the time (in the beginning, there were other contributors to the newsletter but they stopped and I could find no volunteers--it ended up being a two-man effort between my dad and I), but I can say that it was also rewarding at the end of the day.
Sometimes I worked late into the night, especially on production day when the newsletter was to be published and distributed to the congregation the following day (Sunday). We published quarterly.
Pros
I was able to inform the people of news in and around the church
Cons
I shouldered the load most of the time
Great place
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Berrien Springs, MIMay 24, 2017
It is a great company to work for. I promise you won't regret your decision. I love my co workers and managers. They gave us free lunches. You also have the ability to move up in the company.
Pros
Free lunches excellent co workers
Cons
Pay
relevant experience to graduate students
Project Director (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMay 9, 2017
flexible
interesting
opportunities to work with school administrators
friendly boss and colleague
editing
quiet working place
can be challenging
strong connection with college
Fun place
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2017
A summer camp is a just that a summer camp it was ally of fun working there specially since I have good communication skills so the kids would listen to me and not disobey
Pros
Fun
Cons
Rude kids
The BEACON was a learning experience.
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 16, 2017
Over all the job was ok, for starters my hourly pay started at $5 an hour, after a month I demanded an increase in pay. The best part about the job was the kids, being able to be apart of their daily lives and helping them with their homework or giving them words of encouragement.
Pros
Fun activities with the kids.
Cons
Unprofessional management.
Very overworked and non caring company
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 26, 2017
just don't apply, Residents do what they want. They don't care about what the goals are, its just not a good place to work. have favorite staff. it sucks.
Stressful, poor oversight, and lack of care for the residents
Resident care (Current Employee) –  Saint Ignace, MIFebruary 22, 2017
I don't advise working for this company. They overwork there employees, treat employees poorly and don't provide adequate care for there residents. Beware
Pros
Decent starting pay
Cons
Hours, treatment, lack of oversight
Room for promotion
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 1, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Beacon Group. They have a great impact on the community and especially those with disabilities. I was referred through Voc Rehab as a client with disabilities and was able to become a staff member at Beacons Value Village, then in time worked my way up to a supervisory position. Best place that I have ever worked!