Bear Communications

Bear Communications Employee Reviews

Don't plan on having a family life...
Cable Technician (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSSeptember 27, 2016
Would work 60+ hours a week (not paid hourly, by the way, you were paid for piecework) and had no time for myself or my family. They even tried to get me to work more than I already did. The pay structure was a joke, had to pay for fuel for the company provided truck, and had to buy my own tools and equipment (they will sell you tools, but at a sizeable mark-up). I'd you make a mistake on part of an install, they'll take back any pay that you earned on that job. Very shady practices throughout my year with them. Never again.
Pros
Nice meeting many different people (customers)
Cons
See my review.
Awsome Company, Excellent People
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68127September 19, 2016
Outstanding all around! Good people and atmosphere, just not enough national presence yet. Best part of the job was working to grow and develop a business with ethics and morals.
Pros
Culture, experience
Cons
Not enough advancement opportunities
Broken Promises
former employee (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MOSeptember 9, 2016
Management ARE YOU SERIOUS! Chaotic from very first day on job. Relocated my family from ten hours away been doing directional drilling and locating for 12 years and BY FAR WORST COMPANY EVER! SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE STAY AWAY
benefits
Cons
lack of professionalism
Outdoors and fun with customers
Cable Install Technician (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MOAugust 18, 2016
Always working outside is great.
Learning new techniques to help installed cable more efficiently.
The people we work with have a great sense of humor and are dedicated workers.
I learned a lot about field work with cable and internet installs.
Good company with growth potential
Interim Controller (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 25, 2016
Bear communications is a well managed company with high growth potential. The management staff is well versed in the industry which they are working in.
The worst cable installer
Technician (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 14, 2016
Managment is disrespecful to all its employees and they don't pay over time. Missing hours from time sheet and long hour work week from 7am til 9pm in filthy conditions. harrassment and racism is an everyday event and the company tolaretes this behavior. Save yourself a world of trouble. Look else where. This company has no respect for females.
Pros
You meet new people everyday
Cons
Racism, homophobic, and derogatory statements about females
productive and quality mindset
Tech services manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City and Nashville Tenn.April 20, 2016
a typical day at Bear is organized chaos multiple steps in a fiber to the home project from construction to the splicing and testing to costumer relations. I have learned the processes of boring, red lines and aerial construction the most enjoyable part of working on projects of this size is all the challenges
Pros
the entire work experiance
Excellent work environment
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville TennesseeOctober 21, 2015
Every day was a challenge that made the work exciting. Our team met every morning and we established attainable goals and worked together to reach each one of them. We learned that we were the experts on the project and lead by example to encourage each other to do better every day. Managers listened and provided appropriate feedback when needed. The external customers were the most challenging, but we developed positive relationships by convincing them we were the skilled experts in the field and that we have one mutual client - together we could all be successful.
Great place to work at.
Bury Crew (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 19, 2015
Typical days were pretty golden co-workers and supervisors were always positive and helpful. I learned a lot at that job. For the most part their were the ups and downs were jobs were really difficult and easy but never hard enough not to complete. The most enjoyable part of the jobs were mornings with your coworkers and supervisors and also when you achieve each and every job with a good amount of time.
Bad
Drill operator and Locator (Current Employee) –  Grandview, MOJune 28, 2015
Sometimes will take hours of standing around before any work has even been handed out. They tried to have me drill in a city without having the permit to drill in that city. I was not pleased. For the most part everyone seems cool and laid back.
Criminal
Phone/Cable/Internet Installer (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSJune 8, 2015
Never paid overtime or even enough to make minimum wage. Class action lawsuit filed against the company while I was there for nonpayment of overtime or even minimum wage. Pay was based on a point-based system, which frequently lead to situations where you would go home having averaging less than minimum wage. Ended up getting paid via a settlement after class action lawsuit, nearly two years later.

Long days, often averaging 10-15 hours a day. Extremely physical job, often involving carrying a 60+ pound ladder around. Little help from manager technicians due to service area being spread too far out with too few people to help (2 manager techs for a 100+ mile radius).

No mileage reimbursement for most techs most weeks due to not meeting a ridiculously high threshold of "points" required to reach it. Technicians would often have to beg management for gas money, which they did give to technicians. Management was very nice and easy to deal with though on the plus side. Technicians were also nice and easy to get along with as well.

I would only recommend this job to a masochist or if you're homeless and bored.
Pros
Nice Management
Cons
Low Pay & Long Hours
Growing Company
Assets Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSApril 2, 2015
At Bear Communications, I kept track of all the company assets, handled all the insurance claims - both auto and work comp. It was a very busy position and there was never one day like another day. I was minimally managed and didn't have much guidance for the position. I had to learn how to do tasks quickly and efficiently.
Family oriented
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MOMarch 6, 2015
Faxing, scanning, inputting general contractors billing information into system. Inputting inventory of warehouse supplies into system. Learned a lot about the telecommunications industry. Maintaining organization, working with all co-workers..
Pros
Lunch brought at times
Potential for great income but not as strong as competition
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 8, 2015
There is great potential for income, but the level of training and support is lacking. Left to figure out procedures on something as basic as new account set up on own. When there were questions for the support individuals, some were not very responsive or in a positive manner. They also do not offer much in the way of benefits to their employees.
Telecom is Telecom
Project Manager Google OSP Splicing/Construction (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 24, 2014
A typical day at work is from 6:30 in the morning to 5-6 at night. Some Saturdays were included as well.
I work with a great group of people and am teaching and directing most of the day.
In the telecom industry everything changes from minute to minute and that is my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Communication between departments
Telecomm Industry
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MOSeptember 22, 2014
Enjoyed the experience to assist in the Google Fiber Project
Pretty good job, but not for everybody
Time Warner Cable Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 26, 2014
There are some down sides like having to go anywhere and everywhere no matter how sketchy. Examples would be dangerous place in Kansas City, in tight spaces where spiders, snakes, etc.. could be. I enjoyed learning about how cable internet works behind the scenes and how they troubleshoot cable signal issues, as well as installation at people's homes.
Pros
interesting things learned
Cons
outside grungy conditions, and dangerous work conditions at times.
Poor Management
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 16, 2013
Horrible company. They were shady with payroll information and could not show legal documents on how I was supposed to be paid. I was told I would be paid overtime for any overtime hours worked. No overtime was ever paid. I was required to pay for my own gas and tires.
Pros
Good Trade to learn
Cons
No Overtime, Pay for your own gas
Very good upper management
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Varied, part of traveling crewOctober 30, 2012
Bear Communications was overall a good company to work for, they had their downfalls as any company does, but the good very much outweighs the bad at that company, the upper management was very good, and the lower management was well above average in my opinion, their equipment was not always the most reliable but for the most part their trucks, drills, and excavators ran quite well. The bad part about working there was the fact that there was always trouble between the crews and very few of the crews would work together, I personally worked on the out of town crew, and where I was working the crews never had any problems working together, but the in town crews always seemed to be fighting over something. Overall though I give this company a 4/5 rating.
Pros
good management, always had work.
Cons
healthcare was bad, crews always fighting.
ok working environment
Installer (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSMay 3, 2012
Start my day at 7:00am work til 7:30pm 5 to 6 days a week.
I learned how to integrate Time Warners telephone equipment into residential and commercial applications.
Bear Comm has a good management team overall
Cons
had to pay for gas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bear Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9