BearCom Employee Reviews

Bearcomm was an amazing first sales job
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed working at Bearcomm, it was my first sales position and my manager pushed his team hard, but not to hard as we built a great culture and support group among ourselves.
Pros
Good culture
Large company with no knowledgeable management
Rental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, TXMarch 29, 2017
Big company, typically very busy. Associates are pretty much on their own. Management doesnt' know very much, they wing it. No managerial skills from department managers.
Pros
reward is always lunch
Cons
no raises, no managerial skills from department managers
A Strange Little Company
Grunt Worker (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 30, 2016
If you just want a steady paycheck and you're okay with low starting pay and then doing the same job for pretty much the same pay as long as you're there then you might like it there. Some people must be okay with this since there were hard working loyal employees who were 10 to 20 years or more and might have had a small raise or two if there they were lucky and pretty much made what they started at. When management positions came open they used to promote from within and this was your chance to make a little more but then they started hiring outsiders. If you were in sales then you could make a good living and you could do no wrong. When someone left the company they would usually just divide their work between the other employees and try to avoid rehiring for that position as long as possible or permanently. Some employees took advantage of their managers and got away with almost anything since their managers knew that if they got fired or quit they probably wouldn't get to refill their position. Everything was controlled by the executive team and management feared them and had very little power. When business was good they talked about how they could invest in more locations or hire more salespeople but never about investing in the loyal people who kept that place running. If you ever brought up the raise question to management they would get defensive or lie and tell you that they were working on it but nothing would ever happen. Nothing was kept confidential. There was a lot of information floating around that nobody should have known about but directors were friends with  more... managers and managers were friends with supervisors and supervisors were friends with the grunt workers so everyone knew everything. It was an okay place to work and I had a few great coworkers but once people realized that they weren't getting raises or even reviews and had little room for advancement they just quit caring and the smart ones would move on to better things.  less
Pros
a paycheck, not a terrible work place, free donuts once a month if you were early enough
Cons
low starting pay, few or no raises, low promotion chances, weak benefits, nothing was kept confidential
Customer Service
Assistant Rental Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 28, 2016
I love working for this company. This company valued the well-being of their customers and support the needs of their employees.
Work life trumps family life
Rentals (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 29, 2016
To start off this company has some really great pros. As long as you get your work done you're not micro managed and the hours are flexible. At the branch level the people are great to work with. Unfortunately, the cons heavily outweigh the pros. The company will work you till you are drowning in work and then maybe they might start thinking about hiring help. Also, Bearcom moves SUPER slow at getting anything done. Their are few raises and if you're lucky you might get a few cents. The HR department doesnt always keep conversations that were suppose to be confidential to herself and shares with others. The biggest thing though is that your hard work will not be recognized, no matter how many overtime hours and weekends you work. I truly believe that there needs a major change in higher management. The company runs like its operating in the 90s. You also have to document everything especially when working with the exec. VP he is very forgetful and unless you are smart enough to document conversations and emails you will be helpless when things go wrong even if you were told to do it that way. He will go off on you because of one slip up even if you have been meeting your numbers and doing the best your branch has seen in years.
Pros
Christmas lunch, flexible hours, no micro managing
Cons
Horrrible exec. Vp, few raises, overworked with no recognition of it
Ok Place if you need a job- Very Negative with little morale & appreciation
Rental Account Executive -Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 4, 2016
Pay is horrible, with the demands they require. management does not help their employees to grow and be successful,creates tension between coworkers, and only cares about their personal success. Management also penalizes & reprimands their employees for management mistakes/errors. Environment is very quiet, tense, unprofessional, and sometimes very stressful. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the customers, and learning how everything works. Hardest part of the job is not being provided the tools needed for success, or the support and encouragement. Mostly that the company itself doesn't hold their employees in value.
Pros
free donuts 1x per month, quarterly & yearly bonus, having a paycheck
Cons
Stressful, Not appreciated, Very little Pay, unsupportive Management
A small company
Materials Handler (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Receiving in product from carriers , place materials into assigned locations .

Pulling product for customers and company salespeople

Packing materials to into cartons for customers and loading product onto trailer or leaving product for carrier pickup .
All for one and one for himself
Rental Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  brisbane caDecember 11, 2014
Working for this company was a daunting and sad experience from the start. At my first assignment three of the other senior employees told me I was an idiot for taking the job. I would be overworked and underpaid. I would never be rewarded for extra efforts but they would always be expected. There is no room for advancement and no respect for your situation in life or with concern to your future. Sure enough, they were right. They were friendly as most all the people I worked with were. In fact the company is filled with good people that worked extremely hard and put the company first but to only get scrutinized at any given chance at rewarded minimally if at all. We surpassed goals and set record numbers for business but to only be told we still needed to do more. We hit record numbers for the past 20 years, made a lot of money for the company and sacrificed nights and weekends to not receive any extras. Not even a good job. The industry itself is great. You stay busy and it is very exciting and you really get to help people with there communication needs.
Pros
Time off to go to Dr. appointments
Cons
No rewards for extra efforts
Elctronic Tech
Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2014
The typical day at work is going in early in the morning depending on customer need. usually start at 4am or 6am and doing antenna repair or troubleshooting a signal that went out in the hotel on the DAS system and figuring out if it is the antenna or the cabling. Learned that the system is was never installed correctly from the previous techs that installed the equipment and this project is a long intake on getting the DAS up to proper operating standards; My goal is to make it work three time better then what it is suppose to be.
Hardest part is getting customer understanding and trust on what we or doing, but we have accomplished this and the system is starting to work better each and every week that I'm on the project with my co-worker and we or doing the impossible that they said we would not be able to do.
Pros
Free lunches at this Hotel
Cons
The work hours and long hours
Steady workpace, nice atmosphere.
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 5, 2014
People very friendly. Work pace steady but not stressful. Hours were very good. Enjoyed all the data entry and filing. Hardest part was calling on overdue bills.
Pros
Good people, good enviornment.
Fun group of people to work with
Rental Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VANovember 25, 2013
Inventory control
Managing incoming/outgoing inventory
Customer Service
Great team to work with
Potential long hours
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Potential long hours with no compensation
Its been like drinking from a fire truck,
Senior Field Service Technician CETsr (Current Employee) –  Wixom, MIApril 10, 2013
Good People, Good Customers.
Lacking in the Technical Support Training.
Pay is good at first, but few pay raises.

Company Leadership is all about Sales, and not what makes the stuff they sell work.
Pros
got to travel a bit on some jobs.
Cons
no technical standards, management or leadership, test equipment is seriously outdated, managment leans heavly on the technical staff for how to make what sales sells work, but no formal training on equipment and systems only limited web baised training from the vendors
Overall Great Place to Design a Career
Rental Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 11, 2013
I worked here for more than 8 years. If I had chosen to, I could have stayed and probably advanced quite a bit by now. They are good to their loyal employees who show tenacity and drive. The pay was always competitive and then became very good when I was at the top of my level. The jobs can be demanding, but it was a fun, fast-paced environment with plenty of room to make your income better, perfromance bonuses, and minimal micro-managing (depending on who your branch manager is). They embrace employees who learn to be great at what they do, and leave them alone to do it! I would go back to work here in an instant!
Pros
room for advancement, salary increases, and commissions
Cons
"trickle down effect" from upper management to the branch managers can be heavy
Enjoyed my time......BUT
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  DallasFebruary 4, 2013
The pay way extremely below average. Also, would like to extend the sentiments of the previous review. I left due to belittling treatment and ignorant actions of the Executive VP!
Pros
laid back environment
Cons
pay scale, domineering attitude of an individual on the executive team
LOVED working there except for some moron upper level vice president
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 6, 2012
I have over 25 years as a Motorola technician. A rare commodity! Bearcom is the largest Motorola dealer in the US and I was planning on spending the rest of my career with them.
I was absolutly loving my job and helping my customers. Every day was exciting and with my experience it made it pretty easy.
Our location lacked a general manager so they made our head salesman the manager which kept him from his sales and it had a negative impact on his income. They withheld commisions from him because customers did not pay. Just about all these issues were from poor equipment builds out of the main Dallas location. He had enough and quit.
His son took over his position. I worked there for 3 years and NEVER saw the boy enter the office before 11am. NEVER ONCE ! Of course the VP and general manager was 1500 miles away and was oblivious to this .
We had a vice president with absolutly NO people skills or first hand experience in a Motorola shop.How do you manage a Motorola shop when you have NEVER worked in one ? He was a corporate man. He was our general manager managing a branch from Dallas. How do you know what goes on when you are 1500 miles away ! !
I was completely competent and knowlegable in my feild and one day the vice president shows up and lets me go. No warning and no clue it was coming. I asked 2 times - Why am I being let go ? He NEVER responded and I still to this day do not know why. When a man fires a man he NEEDS to have a reason and the balls to tell him !
Soon after, the VP started hassling the rentals manager with unreasonable stuff so he quit!
Withih one year an
  more... idiot has brought down an entire location and does not even have a clue as he has NO experience !
Darn shame when a leader has no experience in a specific feild and really has no idea that he has no idea - DANGEROUS !
When I don't know I ASK someone who does !!
All in all a great company once the VP finally retires and leaves knowledgable people do their job !
Cons
idiot vice president !
Bearcom
Rental Coordinator/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Annandale, VANovember 8, 2012
A typical day at work was programming radios and phones to be shipped out then creating contracts for the customer to sign upon delivery. My co-workers were great and I learned a lot at my time with Bearcom. It definitely improved my customer service and administrative skills plus it gave me some management experience overseeing two people. The hardest part of the job was programming certain types of phones and radios because the management did not want to replace the antenna or my computer. The busy season could be stressful at times.
Pros
affordbale insurance
Cons
hard to get raises, lack of communication with my general manager
Great Co workers
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXNovember 5, 2012
Busy office and plenty to do. Coworkers were always willing to help you with anything.
Productive.
Technician / Installer / Tower Climbing (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2012
BearCom is a company based most in radios programming it means that no climbing towers, no much installs but a lot radios staff.....it was a very nice oportunity for me to learned all about code plugs, frecuencies, etc, etc....
Pros
flexible schedule.
Cons
helthcare
Good private company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 23, 2012
I learned how to engrave two-way radios. Mornings we would receive products and afternoon we shipped out products to customers and myself and four co-workers rotated pulling orders weekly.
Learning environment
Office Manager / Rental Asst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2012
A day at this office is a learning experience. Its also a family oriented company where halfof the time you are feeling at home. The learning experience with two way radios, and everything else is great because it helps you be involved more since I walked in there with little knowing of communications. Overall its an interesting place to learn of but for me I want to take an extra step in learning more and the days goes by.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
too much work for pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BearCom. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8