Bechtel Employee Reviews in United States

Professional organization
Sr. Industrial Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Spring City, TNJanuary 31, 2016
As subject matter expert for Health & Safety I would interact with all levels of employees on a commercial nuclear site. This interaction would be providing technical data to management to make decisions based on findings. Working with line management to help plan jobs and task. In the field on a daily basis observing work practices, correcting issues as they found, and helping craft personnel to be successful in their daily work. I had oversight of asbestos abatement sub-contractors and and had IH Techs that performed sampling gathering for various aspects of health testing through -out the site.
Pros
I enjoyed the daily interaction with people the most
Cons
Long hours working on a construction site, especially as the project was winding down.
Great Company to retire from~
Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Overall, this was an awesome company to work for. Great benefits, extended vacations and paid time off packages. Very experienced and intelligent managers, engineering and leads in every department.

I learned allot at this company, and am grateful for the time I spent there, and hope to return some time in the future if the oil prices will every go back up.

I really enjoyed everyone I worked with, it was nice to be right across the street from the galleria, and in the heart of uptown Houston.
Pros
Great lunch and learns, many opportunities for learning, deveolpment and career advancement
Construction Life
Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2016
My experience with Bechtel was confined mostly to field assignments. Days consist of long hours, usually 10 hour days onsite, which doesn't include time to and from work. Most of the co-workers were great to work with, a very diversified group. The men and women in the field are the heart and soul of the company, they are the salt of the earth and would gladly give the shirt off their backs if you needed it. The most difficult part is when management decides to change tactics mid-stride, or the home office doesn't communicate with the field. Communication can be severely lacking, and cause major issues.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Working conditions and time
Productive Company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cameron, LAMarch 17, 2016
I enjoy working for Bechtel. I work w/a great team of Engineers. Management is very professional & understanding. I have learned a lot in the Insulation/Coatings/Fireproofing Departments. Working 6-7 days a week & driving an hour each way isn't easy. I have reached top pay & there is no room for advancement as an Administrative Assistant.
Pros
Health Insuance
Cons
Hours & Commute
Bechtel & Field Procurement
Project Field Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 18, 2015
Bechtel is one of the oldest EPC companies in the US today.Their view on older more experienced workers is changing, they want to push out the older workers. They feel that their work force has and needs to be younger. They say all the right buzz words, but they do not walk the walk, their expectations is not completely known, and Managers are expected to work over and beyond the normal work week.

I do not feel like I have much job security. As I fit into the older more experienced group.

I am paid in accordance with my negotiated salary, and the bonus each year has been appreciated as it was not part of any negotiated salary, it is just something that Bechtel does each year for all grades of employees.
Pros
Flexible work hours in Houston
Cons
Expectation of Managers are to work beyond normal work week, with no compensation.
Productive place to work
Senior Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PANovember 16, 2015
I worked at Bechtel for about 4 years and gained a great deal of project management experience. It was a demanding job but also a satisfying job. Unfortunately, the compensation, salary are poor work/life balance are some of the reasons I decided to leave.
Pros
Interesting Work
Cons
poor compensation and work life balance
Enjoyed learning the Information Technology field.
Application Operations/Data Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 17, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of monitoring information backups and making sure they completed in a timely manner. Processing requests for password requests, payroll, providing access to folders and application and executing batch jobs and Harvest packages.

I learned the basics of Information Technology.

Management in the Data Center was excellent; Application Operations was a different matter altogether. The Supervisor micro-managed and did not allow our team to resolve issues on our without intervention even though we were on top of the problem.

My co-workers were some the best I've ever worked with.

The hardest part of the job was the micro-management and being thrown into an application owner position that I was not only not ready for but was literally given very, very little training but yet I was expected to know how to process and master this app.

My co-workers were a great part of what made the job enjoyable.
Pros
Solidarity of my co-workers.
Cons
Mismanagement during my second position with the company.
Productive during scheduled work for site builds.
Tower Hand (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical work day would consist of driving to build site meeting up with crew members and crew lead. Fill out Job Safety Analysis for work site. Crew would conduct a safety huddle and discuss safety precautions due to working with heights, electrical AC/DC, heavy lifting and other hazards. I was new to the telecommunications industry I learned to upgrade cellular towers per AT&T building specs, civil work, running power cable, fiber cable from cell tower to shelter. I enjoyed working with all my fellow coworkers at the time of employment. Hardest part of the job was working with heights in various environment and weather conditions such as high gusts of wind, hot and cold weather, night time work, long hours, long hours spent in traffic and working in remote locations. Enjoyed the comradery in the workplace.
Pros
Company held luncheons, team building activities
Cons
No set work schedule
Promotion of Bechtel Certification on core competencies.
Electrical and Instrumentation Systems Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
It was a great place to work, location, work ethic and many opportunities to learn and feel appreciated for your contributions. Most difficult part was being the first EPC to create an Operability Assurance integrating As Built Vendor and EPC designs cohesively. Many missing or incomplete volumes needed research and field verification.
Pros
Lunch and Learns
Cons
A place where intelligence rains clear.
genanal foreman / earthwork/ underground utilities (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXMarch 15, 2016
However, they don't always hire qualified personnel. Which leads to good employees seaching for better opportunities to be able to do the job you were hired to do to the best of your abilities,
Pros
good benifits, great saftey records, upper managment is top notch
Cons
They;re so large, they make you feel like a number and you can be replaced tomorro whether this is true or not
Best companyI have worked for.- Excellent management. Excellent professional working atmosphere.- Great place to grow and learn.
Vice President and Senior Regional Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, California.- Caracas, VenezuelaAugust 8, 2016
Bechtel is probably the most professional EPC company in the world.- Hughe number of professional talent willing to work and give clients the best result possible.- Professional treatment of emmployees and excellent remuneration package.
Pros
Excellent Professional working environment.- Great remuneration package.
Cons
Extremely choosy on jobs Bechtel pursues. Expensive MH rates to clients.
Excelllent place to work if you are willing to relocate and work OT
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PA 19464April 20, 2016
Bechtel Construction Corporation is an excellent employer if you qualify to work in the company, ready to relocate any where in the world and willing to work overtime through out your carrier span.

I did work in Large, Small and instrumentation tubing support system in Limerick & Hope Creek Nuclear Power Plants located in PA and NJ resply during my 2 years carrier.

It provides Tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance, Health Benefits, IRA, etc.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance, Health Benefits, IRA
Cons
unexpected transfers to another job or resign
Competent Contractor
Project Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2015
This is company is recommended for young professionals who want to learn about project management, pursue a career in engineering, procurement and construction.
Opportunities for working overseas and learning new skills.
The next best thing to military service
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAMay 2, 2016
The company spends quite a bit of time on bringing people up to speed and training them. They are very concerned about safety and quality. Your typical day could involve lots of meetings because the typical project is large and many people need to know what is going on. Bechtel collaborates with many other companies and suppliers so the typical job is very complex between R&D cooperation with scientists, testing facilities, labs and universities and the typical engineering design, procurement and construction activities. Be prepared to support your community through stewardship which is very much encouraged. You couldn't ask for better co-workers and it tends to feel like a family the longer you are there. The hardest part of the job is finding the right mentors but when you do you are on your way. The most enjoyable part of the job is the many celebrations, pot luck lunches and other social events. I also enjoyed working with people from all parts of the globe.
Pros
Big noteworthy jobs
Cons
Eventually you will have to travel to advance
Professional environment
Senior HVAC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJuly 29, 2016
Great place to work. Good benefits. I learned safety and nuclear culture. Well established procedures, guidelines and forms to use. Easy for the new employee to learn. Great coworkers.
Pros
Good slaries, benefits and 401K matches
Cons
One manager you work daily and knows you well, the second functional manager who makes raise, bonus etc. decisions and does not know you personally, procedures changes often, forms changes often, too many controls for a big project.
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 19, 2016
Construction is a volatile industry with lots of peaks and valleys. If you have the education and experience to move to a different industry, you're in a good position to change career paths.
Great company to work for, family oriented employees, awesome management.
Commissioning, Startup & Operating Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 28, 2015
I learned a lot as an intern at Bechtel Corporation. My manager made sure that I had an all rounded experience of the role in the short period of time that I served there. The company exudes professionalism in all its endeavors, and it's a place that would spur anyone to excel growth-wise. The employees are friendly, and collaborative. The management is made up of great individuals that are adept to the intricacies of their role, and are willing to bring out the best in you. I love the company. Great place to work.
Wonderful Company
Global Payroll Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 16, 2016
A typical day is full of meetings, interaction with all levels of employees, always busy.
I received a certification in Six Sigma, I use this methodology at work and through-out my life out-side of work.
There's a lot of longevity, very little turn-over, co-workers are like family.
The hardest part of my job was finding an empty meeting room.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the the opportunities afforded me.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Politics
really good
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXMarch 7, 2016
like it very much and would like to work there again in the near future
I had a good relationship with the management crew and the rest of the employes that work with me
Pros
we had everything we needed on time stayed busy
Cons
after work traffic
Bechtel
Engineering Planning Lead (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 1, 2016
Overall the company has high expectations and many rules and practices that allow it to withstand the test of time. But in general they need to make changes in order to move forward int he present day both in HR practices and business.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
Still stuck in the 80's on policies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bechtel. Our community is ready to answer.