Beckman Coulter, Inc.

Beckman Coulter, Inc. Employee Reviews

challenging, competitive work atmosphere
Field Service (biomedical) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 11, 2014
Morning calls came in via text messages or had to sync database for current tasks assigned for the day at about 7:30 am. Reviewed previous repairs of instrument and punch in and leave home with travel time to customer ranging from 1/2 hr to 4 hrs. Call customer to give ETA and to discuss service repair issue. Call dispatch to update ETA or to inform if issue was resolved over the phone with the customer, Arrive on site if issue was not resolved over the phone to assess and resolve the issue. Complete and close field service report and send copy to customer. Call next customer in line for service and repeat the steps above. Travel home or stay overnight if travel is greater than 90 miles. Review inventory, on line training, emails etc. during any down time throughout the day. Management stood behind us and listened most of the time. Co-workers were and awesome team. Everyone was always willing to help each other out. The hardest part of the job was having to leave a customer down because a part needed to be ordered and the best part was to resolve the problem when the customer expected resolution the following day.
Pros
excellent benefits, personal use of company car, training of new instruments
Cons
short breaks, work/life balance needs to be improved
Positive and Negatives of BCI
Packaging Engineer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 11, 2012
Beckman Coulter has been an awesome place to work. There are unfortunate bits about it. Unfortunately there is strong Silo mentality that has existed since I started up here. This makes it so all groups are group centric and make it hard to get work done. Additionally BCI was cracked down on by the FDA and since then the process to make simple changes is so demanding as far as paperwork and required authorizations that it makes it very difficult to run simple changes through.

Overall I absolutely LOVE the people I work with and this is true for people company wide at all sites. It is amazing how a company filled to the brim with good people would have a hard time getting things processed quickly.

Last note is that one major complaint is that organic advancement is very difficult. Generally people (especially in my field) do not get promoted. We work many levels ahead of our career band. Amazingly the title change would be enough for me.
Pros
feel the company i work for makes a positive difference in peoples lives, majority of bci staff are great people
Cons
very top heavy with unclear communication regarding expectations and goals, tremendous loss of true talent
Going down hill fast
Clinical Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Anywhere, USAAugust 3, 2014
Field service engineers running away like rats from a sinking ship. All the talent has left. Open positions all over the country due to them treating us like a bunch of thieves. Shifting starting hours or making you clock out early, so they don't have to pay ot. company car is nice, but it is always tracked by gps. Just had mgr point out start/stop points from prior in the week. he said he just wanted to be sure that the time zone was correct. Bunch of bs. He was wielding his power to show he knows where I am and what I am doing all the time. If they hire anybody, it will be young guys just out of school and they will burn you out quickly. Keep looking my friend!
Pros
i can't think of one.
Cons
treat you like a thief. unattainable goals that they use to justify no raise/bonus. long knives out, watch your back!
Beckman Coulter is a great company to work for. They invest a lot of time and money in employee development and their well being.
SALES SPECIALIST/CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 11, 2013
During my employment with Beckman Coulter I was fortunate to have wonderful bosses who believed in me. They helped me as I moved up the ladder from service agreement processor to Service Agreement Department Supervisor, which I held for the last 10 years. I was proud to be part of the Beckman Coulter Family and most of my co-workers and team members felt the same. There was stress during quarter close but the company would always reward us with catered lunches and long breaks. The hardest part of my job was to have to let people go during rough times. We lost good employees over the years in order to reduce costs and manage department budgets. The part I enjoyed the best was the fast pace and the people I worked with on a daily bases, it made the day go by fast.
Pros
travel, employee training
Cons
limited to time off
Used to be a fun place to work for
Principal Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FloridaNovember 5, 2012
Used to be a fun family place to work for, when it was just COULTER. Now Beckman Coulter/ Danaher employees don't count, only the investors and how much they can make. Too many bullets to dodge, too much corporate politics, back stabbing, meetings that get nowhere, nobody wants to be responsible for their mistakes. If they don't make the number at the end of the year, the people that really work hard, are the ones they layoff, usually the person at the bottom of the totem pole, the one that get paid the least. Too many managers, supervisors, assistant managers, assistant supervisors, assistant of the assistants etc. not enough people that actually do the dirty work or hands on the job. Too many paper pushers. Supervisors and managers that take credit for what their employees under them have accomplished, unless something goes wrong, then they blame their employee. Not an enjoyable workplace.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
too much politics, weekly meetings, yearly layoffs, too many chiefs, not enough indians, not a very friendly atmostphere....

Comment – November 21, 2012

Sounds like allot of places I've worked for. Too many chiefs no indians, take credit when things go well, blame when they don't. What's wrong with Corporate America?!!

Distribution Facility Lead
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  Hebron, KYMarch 12, 2015
I am currently a Warehouse Lead. My daily duties consist of:
Hourly reports
Training / Cross training new associates
Hold QDIP (Quality) meetings daily
Answer customer service emails

Highly motivated leader to my team. I thoroughly enjoy working with all of my fellow co-workers along with the management team.

The hardest part of my position right now is the heavy workload expected on a daily basis. Being extremely understaffed since transitioning to a Warehouse Management System in September, has heavily weighed upon the management team. For 8 months it has been a consistent 6 - 7 day work weeks.

Very interested to see where skills that I have obtained in my 7 years with Beckman Coulter may lead me. In search of a great corporation where I am able to expand my career and utilize my knowledge as well as continually grow.
Pros
great health benefits - competitive vacation / sick time - 401k
very productive and having fun with ping pong tables at lunch break or after hours
R&D Technician (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJanuary 8, 2013
*Generate current CP Data-part lists with Data sheet and Certificate of Compliance to RoHS system(REACH)
*Perform primary Risk Assessment to select full RoHS, exemption RoHS or obsolete parts.
*Converse and update electronic component parts compliant to RoHS by searching Website (Electronic Part Vendors; Digikey,Mouser, Avnet ,RS…).
*Compare and verify of company’s data base and related component parts on hand ; in shelves, and in PCBA’s(team work).
* Upload and report EMARS system (ORACLE) to furnish the document control needed as requirements

* The most hardest part is to verify and detect data errors, call a meeting to correct the issues for completion of related documents

*Enjoy discussing new update infomation with co-workers.
*Enjoy in our agreements for variable solving problems daily.
Pros
more flexible working hours to complete job done
Cons
less review and promotion
Great place prior to Danaher acquisition
Southwest Area Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaAugust 22, 2013
Beckman Coulter had some "bad habits" ie., a lot of waste and unnecessary money spending - we were constantly tossing good money after bad. I was hopeful when Danaher purchased Beckman, but after two years the negative culture took hold. Danaher is bottom dollar oriented and has no business in the large diagnostic market realm. The service group in particular is ruled soley by intimidation. Putting that aside, I have grown my knowledge of Lean Six Sigma and those best practices. One of the Danaher mantras is "customers talk we listen" that is about as far from the truth unless you add "particularly if they have money." Middle management is truly the carpet in this company.
Pros
lucrative 401k
Cons
unreasoably high demands, lack of personnel, limited to very little ot.
Challenging and very engaging
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 10, 2013
Having spent the previous 25+ years in classified environments (which entailed window-less, vaulted enclosures), working here at Beckman Coulter - Miami was indeed a welcome and much-needed change!

Management quickly gauges one's knowledge base and puts it to work i.e. comfort zones can be maintained while at the same time expanded to meet the Company's requirements.

My knowledge of MS Excel was not only put to the test but because my expertise was highly sought-after, I was able to express my creativity when creating daily, weekly, and monthly reports for operations, finance, and procurement. This, in turn, led to automating processes via complex reports that wre formally dot-matrix printouts.

I was very pleased with my first foray into civilian employment.
Ridiculou performance rating system
Global Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAApril 25, 2013
The facility at Brea is great overall. The people are general nice to work with. The performance rating system is ridiculous because they put everyone in a bell curve so you can end up getting a low rating even if you accomplish all your goals for the year. In 2013, the parent company (Danaher) performance rating will be implemented where 50% of your rating is based on whether you accomplished your goals, and 50% of your rating is based on subjective criteria such as "how" you accomplish those goals. I think it basically give management a reason to give you whatever rating they want. They no longer have to justify why you get a bad rating.
Pros
onsite gym, fitness classes, cafe, dining, credit union, atm machine, dry clean, car wash, basetball court, ping pong tables
Cons
performance rating system, lack of career advancement
A good place to work with a relaxed armosphere
Technical Writer, R&D Tech Services Publications (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 21, 2013
Beckman Coulter was a good place to work with a reasonable commute. I primarily worked on user's guides that accompanied instruments that are used for biomedical testing in hospitals and other critical care settings. The guides are used by customers, for customer training, and by field service engineers. During my tenure at Beckman, I learned about the elements and development of component content management systems, and global authoring style requirements. My manager was professional, accessible, trusted me to work without excessive supervision, and encouraged and supported me in learning new skills. Most of my coworkers were friendly, helpful, and team players. The hardest part of the job was working with difficult and overbearing personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with my team and learning new technologies.
Pros
flexible work schedule, friendly atmosphere, endorses learning new skills and technologies
Cons
no benefits, no covered parking
Passionate, motivated by challenges, and driven by my focus.
Account Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  PADecember 18, 2012
As an Account Manager, I represent all diagnostic product disciplines including: Chemistry, Immunoassay, & Hematology (>$14.5M territory). My current responsibilities range from lead/opportunity generation, contract generation/management, base business retention, and capital equipment/ reagent growth. I am responsible for consulting with laboratory personnel, hospital executives, and administration to provide solutions for large scale laboratory Chemistry, Immunoassay, and Hematology testing. I create an environment that is built upon the foundations of teamwork & collaboration to effectively manage risk, foster creativity and set/carryout strategic objectives. My customers consist of hospitals and reference laboratories in the Central PA Region.
Pros
dynamic enviornment, flexibility, customer facing
Cons
difficult work life balance, lack of opprothnity to advance professionally
very awesome work place
head of department (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CA.May 25, 2015
a typical day at work was soldering diodes and a lot of other little parts on circuit boards for dialysis mother boards, I learned how to follow blueprints and build the boards according to manufacturers polarities, the co-workers were a little hard to work around at first but once they got to know me it was a much better work environment.
The hardest part of the job, sometimes the heat from the soldering iron would make the parts fail the testing process so I would haft to rebuild and that would slow down the production deadlines, the most enjoyable part was working with the company and the people that had been there for so long! I later got promoted to head of shipping
and there I shipped off raw circuit boards to the actual companies that actually made the Dialysis machines!
Pros
company barbeques, christmas break
Cons
no cons
A good place to work, but not good enough if you want more than just a job and income
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 8, 2012
People are very nice. Good work-life balance.

Too much politics. Many talented people, but managers often only promote those who follow them and never raise question or doubts. A lot of times, they are not talented at all, but just good followers. Because of this, the company has seen talented people leaving. It's really sad that some managers either have too much ego or are focused too much on their own agendas. They often ignore other people's opinion. As such, huge amount of money and resources have been wasted. You will see such things happening every where, from R&D, IT to Marketing. Things have not changed much since the company was acquired by Danaher.
Just a job. Decent Company
Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 17, 2014
Limited opportunities to advance within the company. There is a good work/life balance. Sometimes there are times where the supervisors ask you to work overtime while they stay home and enjoy their weekend. There is a lot of favoritism. Expect to run out of parts every month or so as Danaher policy with paying vendors. Simple solutions get ignored to try and solve an bigger problem that isn't present. Management is hard to get ahold of in between the meetings they are usually in all day.
Pros
decent pay, getting better at employee recognition, interaction with co-workers, yearly engagement surveys
Cons
micro managing, bad communication, lack of training, bi weekly kaizens, no input from employees, management
In the beginning it was a fun place to work
Advanced Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chaska, MNSeptember 4, 2014
Over the years as the company was sold and bought, employees seem to become simply numbers.

Office Administration:
• Listened to customers, responded to questions and provided excellent customer service
• Key component in the implementation and support of an effective records management program encompassing all company information from creation through it’s life cycle
• Identified, maintained and preserved information and vital records needed to protect the interests of the company including electronic documentation imaging when appropriate

Computer Utilization:
• Researched information, compiled, organized and followed strict data practices
• Developed, monitored and trained personal on Records Management Procedures
• Mentored and trained coworkers on computer software as on-going support
Pros
close to home
Cons
i was part of a mass layoff, after 18 years
Great company
Manager Instrument Manufacturing (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 5, 2014
Great company
Beckman Coulter develops, manufactures and markets products that simplify, automate and innovate complex biomedical testing. Scientists use our life science research instruments to study complex biological problems including causes of disease and potential new therapies or drugs. Hospital laboratories are our core clinical diagnostic customers. Our life science customers include pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, medical schools and research institutions. More than 275,000 Beckman Coulter systems operate in both diagnostics and life sciences laboratories on six continents. For more than 75 years, our products have been making a difference in peoples� lives by improving the productivity of medical professionals and scientists, supplying critical information for improving patient health and reducing the cost of care
An excellent Company to Work
Senior Technician Distribution/Lead man (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAMay 31, 2015
Beckman Coulter is a company full of opportunities to grow .
My responsabilities working at Beckman Coulter were to satisfied customer needs making sure all orders were shipped in timely manner, preparing import and export, Dangerous goods documents ( IMO, IATA),resolving issues, attending carrier drivers or making appointments for special pick ups, coordinating special international pick ups for international shipments, preparing DHL or FedEx International shipping documents.
There was no such a hard job for me that I couldn't completed , I love challenges and work better under any hard circumstance.
I am an excellent team player , my co-workers enjoyed my help, I was treated respectfully.
Casual environment. Highly educated staff. A great team.
Project Coordinator/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 23, 2013
Project Coordinator/Project Manager
 Responsible for Monthly and Quarterly reports. (dashboard, metrics, etc)
 Assigned to manage all repeat projects in 60 days or less. (frequently shipped in a week)
 Coordinated the custom product shipments to align with standard products through daily contact with the Finished Good planners in different cities around the US.
 Managed inventory and purchasing of all office supplies relative to the specific needs of our department.
 Purchasing Agent with the only department PO Card. Verified and approved all purchases each month.
 Placed all Internal Oracle Purchase requests for the Hardware Team in our department.
 Produced and assembled handbooks/manuals and CDs on a daily basis.
worst is happened when Danaher buys Beckman... Olympus is the best
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  NJ/NYJanuary 5, 2013
starts with shifts (7am 8am and 9am start)-kill family life with that.
Put GPS devices in the cars and start tracking workers as well private life sometimes. GPS should be device for costumer satisfaction - its not only for that.
They tried to charge the phone because we can use it for private use and then they can read our messages and view private calls. Who need that?
To many tracking, they dont believe to workers.
Management was always telling us a promises but we never see that something is happened.
I am happy not working any more for this company.