Becton Dickinson & Company (BD) Employee Reviews

Good place to work - but could be great with some tweaks
IT function (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoyed working here, and wish I could stay permanently - but unfortunately, they rely on contractors to do the bulk of the work....and they hardly ever release headcount to make those contractors full-time employees - even though the departments where they work are extremely busy. They will rotate temps in the same position for years. Not sure why - but my guess is to look better to shareholders (less headcount=less cost). About 1/3 of the staff at it's world HQ are temps, contractors, or freelancers.

That aside, they offer a lot of perks to employees such as pension, gym onsite, bank on site, vendors onsite, coffee bar, game room, Weight Watchers at work, corporate discounts, and a lot more. They offer insurance too but I've heard the deductibles are high depending on what plan you choose.

This position allowed me to learn a lot of new skills and make some great contact, mainly because the people there are so nice. Co-workers are eager to help (at least in my area), and there were many places to collaborate and work on projects together. I did find that some of the management is old-school, and don't care much for new ways of doing things (ie web, social media, etc), and it takes forever to get a decision made. Also for a giant company, technology is outdated. Network is slow, and some of the software was really old....i.e. graphics department using Adobe CS3.

Also, it seems that this company has their eye so much on budgets and bottom line, they are failing to innovate and grow.
Pros
great environment, beautiful campus, people are nice, lots of potential, challenging and interesting work
Cons
lack of full-time opportunities, too budget conscious, managers out of touch
Over all a great place to work, however, since of urgency and and integrity does not fit the company model.
Under the direction of the Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 11, 2013
I was aquired as a Customer Complaint Coordinator in a lift and shift transition in which San Antonio was to become the hub of complaint resolution. Complaints were to come from the four major busineeses that compose BD and arrive from varies areas throughout the US. Although the importance of knowledge capture was strongly iterated over and over by the project managers, the managers of the departments that were to supply the knowledge allowed personnel that knew the process to depart the organization before the knowledge was captured. It was a very confusing and stressful process. There was a constant power struggle between project managers and department heads.

I am a disabled veteran and although I type very well I have an involuntary twitch in my right hand that prevents speed. I made this information available to the Regional Director and was told that I would be utilized as a product specialist. Two days later a manager wanted to make me a data entry specialist. Managers were continously out of sync with the process and not working together at all.

Managers were always stressing the importance of getting things accomplished in a timely manner while very complacement in providng the necessary tools and information needed to provide positive results. The since of urgency did not fit the effort. There were also blatant instaces of favoritism.
Pros
outstanding support of charities, employee recognition, and project management.
Cons
terrible displays of leadership. blatant show of favoritism
If you're in finance, stay away!!
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJApril 7, 2012
Unless you "play the game" you are going no where in this place. I sat in the same position for years and years and I was always given an excuse for not moving ahead. Meanwhile the people who did move ahead did "play the game" very well and guess what? They weren't so bright. This company always made me feel like I wasn't good enough when in reality the opposite is true.The culture is plain cold and quite strange. This company is totally full of itself and ALWAYS going on and on about how wonderful they are. Believe me that is not the case. Did I mention all the million levels of management and all the red tape? BD is so top heavy with managers that the whole place is going to tip over one day. The red tape is so plentiful that the whole place is suffocating on it. I understand that practically every company has some degree of politics in it but my gosh I've never seen anything quite like this place. There are more politicians in Franklin Lakes, NJ than in Washington DC. SICKENING. If you are an honest and hard working finance professional, do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. You WILL NOT get ahead and the BS that goes on around WILL WEAR YOU OUT. If you do decide to work in this disaster, KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
Pros
my schedule, good benefits
Cons
everything else
Working with people with different backgrounds
Systems Engineering - Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 14, 2013
My group in the systems engineering department at BD focused on research and development of new technologies in the medical devices field. My boss would introduce new ideas to us and then try to implement them. My role in the group was to use MATLAB to create scripts and prototype programs to help the group efficiently analyze their results.

I was able to interact with people from many different backgrounds including biologists, chemists, physicists, engineers, and computer scientists. It was quite an eye opening experience seeing people from all these fields work together. The hard part though, is having to understand the wants and needs of all these people. When creating scripts or programs I had to take into account the way in which each field would use what I was developing and make it understandable for them; when dealing with multiple disciplines this can become chaotic. But in the end, when people were able to use the scripts and programs that I had written effectively it was very satisfying.
BD
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work involved working with management to ensure smooth closure of site by maintaining employee engagement. Completed site initiatives that were in place such as Health Assessments and Career Assistant Workshops through Lee Hecht Harrison. Processed payroll and managed leave of absences as well as Workman's Comp claims. Scheduled and conducted all exit interviews for site closure. Created group presentation for exiting employees to ensure a collective understanding of BD's severance package.
Management was a big help in my success in helping me understand BD's policies and procedures in a short period of time. Co-workers were great and easy to communicate and work with.
The position was under contract for only 6mths and it required immediate submersion into understanding BD's culture, benefits, policies and procedures.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the staff and exiting employees. Overall attitudes were great considering the site was closing.
Pros
People, Culture, Manager
Cons
Temporary Assignment
Good employees, fairly nice managers and easy work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEMarch 29, 2014
I would go in at midnight every night and would work with a team of 3 or 4 people. We would start up the line and inspect and package the product. I learned how to do this work, plus fix the machines and switch out product when needed. My supervisors were very nice and, most of the time, were helpful. My co-workers were fun to work with but sometimes were very juvenile and inappropriate, which at various times made me uncomfortable. The hardest part of my job was when I had to work with people who loved to spread rumors or were just plain unpleasant, because I had to spend eight hours straight with them. The part of my job that I loved the most was learning new things, inside the cleanroom and out in the rest of the plant. I loved being the person that my supervisor would call on to learn something new.
Pros
we had paid lunch, great benefits
Cons
we couldn't smoke on the campus, got in trouble if we took a few minutes past the allotted half hour for break
Great money... 12 Hours no rotating. Training needs improvement
Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCOctober 12, 2014
BD was a great place for money. They have great pay, and great bonuses on a quarterly basis, The best day was the day we decided it was time for me to go, It is a very stressful place and the training needs improvement, If they didnt make medical equipment the pay wouldnt be as great. It all comes down to a hospital charging you $100 for an aspirin. Facility is very clean, climate controlled. Management was great to me, understanding and easy to get along with on almost any issue. The problems are some of the lead people below management, they have alot of authority and could throw you under the bus for anything. Something you had nothing to do with could suddenly include your name. They have a fairly high turnover. I should have left long ago but its tough tot turn away from $50-$60K a year. My ADVICE---- GET A GREAT TRAINER!!!! Someone you feel a bond with...
Pros
money- climate control- money-bonuses
Cons
people- training- people
Decent job trying to solve micobiology related problems
Technical Services Representative (associate) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2012
At BD, I was a technical services representative. A typical day would be spent answering phone calls and emails (requests for information, troubleshooting, filing complaints and closing complaints). I was complaint focus lead for the ID/Susceptibility platform. So I had meetings and reports related to that.
I learned how to relate to people better. Sometimes people just want to be heard and feel that their problems are taken seriously.
The first 4.5 years, management was was great. The last year and 1/2, there was a drastic change in management in my department.
The overwheming majority of co-workers were wonderful and real team players. The hardest part was having a customer who was still not satisfied with any solutions that could be offered to solve a problem. I enjoyed talking to customers about microbiology and training people.
terrible management, no respect for employees. overall a not so great place to work!!
ISM/PRL operator (Former Employee) –  BD Medical Columbus NEJanuary 11, 2013
I was employed at BD Medical for 6 years and hated every minute of it. Their core values are a joke. We (the employees) used to say that yes BD is helping all people live healthy lives unless you are employed by them, then you don't mater. That's what it boiled down to, we didn't mater unless we were at our machines cranking out the product. There is no work/life balance. If you have kids expect not to spend time with them. It was almost impossible to stay home with a sick kid. We were told on a regular basis to schedule appointments on our days off, which we tried to do, but they would schedule mandatory overtime and didn't care if you had prior engagements. It was your job to find the coverage. All in all management is bad and they treat people like slaves. I am glad I left and glad I never have to go back
benefits
Cons
politics, favortism, lack of respect for workers
experiences
QA Technician (Former Employee) –  PRJuly 17, 2014
Reviews and approves the executed batch records pertaining to the preparation, formulation, granulation, compressing, coating and printing or any additional stage of the final dosage form of all products manufactured.
 Evaluate quality incidents and generate process events during production orders.
 Review detected incidents or deviation in Trackwise system during.
 Performs audits of the manufacturing rooms to assure that are in compliance with the requirements established.
 Opens notice of event (NOE) in the TrackWise system for any detected incident, deviation or documentation error during the batch record review process.
 Assures that Quality Events (QE) are completed within the time frame provided in site procedure. If time extension is required, assure timely submission of required documentation.
 Review and approve samples of eLims.
 Audit the process in Epes and SAP.

Want to know more about Becton Dickinson & Company (BD)?

Ask a question
BD is an awesome environment to work in.
Quality Technician II (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCJuly 26, 2014
A typical day at work is busy, but a good busy. My job is self satisfying in that I am accomplishing my goals and helping people live healthy lives. I have learned how to do "Quality" in a different environment than your typical manufacturing environment. Management is great at BD. The leadership is incredibly helpful in helping me achieve my goals and working to my highest abilities. My co-workers for the most part have the same goals, getting the work done and doing our best to help people live healthy lives. The hardest part of my job is not being able to work here till I retire. This site is closing and moving to another state. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming in everyday and not being micro managed. I just "DO" my job, and do it to the best of my abilities. Love coming into work everyday.
Pros
really good benefits
Cons
current site is moving to another state.
BO Developer (Current Employee) –  Franlin Lakes, NJJuly 30, 2012
• Interacted with Business Users and Business Analysts to gather and document the requirements and translate these to Technical specifications for designing Universes.
• Created several Universes using Designer according to the requirement.
• Updated and maintained existing Universes based on changes in user requirements and changes in data.
• Improved the performance and reduced the coding with the use of @functions (@aggregate aware, @select, @prompt, @where.
• Created new and modified existing Hierarchies in the universes to meet Drill Analysis needs of the user’s.
• Defined Alias tables and Contexts to resolve loops and also tested to ensure that correct results are retrieved.
• Developed standard, cross-tab and Drill-down Reports using Webi Reports.
• Developed Web Intelligence reports making use of several Queries (Union, Intersection, Minus).
Pros
free lunches etc.
Cons
Advancement opportunities to lower level management available, great benefits packages including continuing education.
Sr Quality Engineer, Label Control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDMay 30, 2015
Opportunities were provided to learn various areas of the business. Gained great experience as a Process Technologist to develop knowledge of manufacturing, filling line equipment and Aseptic processing. As Quality Engineer, I have increased my knowledge of regulatory requirements and developed competency with risk assessment, non-conformance investigations, complaint handling, audit responses for customers and regulatory agencies, and change management. As Label Control Supervisor, I have restructured the department to accommodate expanded product offerings by adding headcount and labeling equipment.
Pros
advancement opportunities, benefits
Cons
no upper management advancement opportunities
Years wasted in Technical Support Center, Sparks MD
Technical Support and Contact Center (Current Employee) –  Sparks, MDFebruary 6, 2013
Probably the worst place I have ever worked at. No focus on goals that were achievable. No team building, purely about the numbers and not the customer. Managers were top heavy and gave impossible goals. Director is just about making this another stepping stone. HR woman is clearly supporting the company and never the team. There was a mass exodus when the new director came and clearly showed a downfall in this department.

I wish I could say more, it is just a bad place to work. After visiting other BD locations, I would say that this environment is unique, perhaps it has been forgotten by the CEO and his team.
Pros
great pay and compensation
Cons
long work hours that are never compensated for, no work life balence, no true leadership. new hires are clearly a bad choice.
This was a really good place to work and was very well organized and managed. Culture was mostly big business culture.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Holdrege, NEOctober 29, 2013
I enoyed all my 13 yrs. there and retired in 2007 at age 55. I always worked with top quality co-workers and that made it a lot easier to be taught and improve. The company was always seeking ways to imporve efficiencies by seeking employee participation in that process. We worked 12 hr. shifts and enjoyed our time on shift with lots of pot luck dinners. The hardest part probably was communicating over long distances in a noisy invironment.
I enjoyed working with out managerial presence and we were all self motivated or self starters and new what had to be done and we got it done.
Pros
lots of pot lucks and occasionly a prank or two might have occured.
Cons
12 hr days sometimes got kind of long.
Working as a temp at Becton Dickinson
Production Operator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley,MDOctober 15, 2012
A typical day of work at Becton Dickinson consisted of pulling samples,packing,assembly,filling out paper work, staging pallets, and sometimes helping prep media for medical testing tubes. I've learned how to pack out medical vials in a safe and efficient manner. I also learned how to use a torquing machine and work inside of a glove box. The management in the department that I worked in was very unprofessional,if I could of switched departments i most definitely would have. My co-workers were pretty okay, great team players. I didn't find the job hard at all, it was fairly easy once you got the paper work down. The most enjoyable part of that job was the overtime.
Pros
guaranteed overtime
Cons
management
Great pay, not enough time off to spend time with your family
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTJanuary 9, 2014
Great place to work independently, and with other employees. You start at 14.00 dollars an hour and you basically control your raises by skiiling up on the machine that you operate, by going from a basic operator to skill 1 and so on, so with in a year you can be at 19.00 dollars an hour depending how fast you have technician train you. The job itself was great, except that you would only get basically a half a day off, and for those with family and kids like myself it made it hard to be with your family when you work second or third shift.
Pros
manager and surrounding employees were great to work with, good pay, plenty overtime
Cons
worked third shift, and would only have a half of day off of work a week
Overview
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work here for me is never repeated twice. I have diverse responsibilities and work with a large team of individuals. I am fortunate that I enjoy working with and also learn things from often. I have expanded on my Corporate business knowledge and have accomplished getting familiar and working well with all of Senior Management and the Executive Assistants that support them. The hardest part of my job can be assembling all of Senior Management in a very short period of time for a meeting. Management is located internationally and it's a challenge but I do get it done.
Pros
We have wonderful benefits here
Cons
The cost of healthcare is rising
Reputable Company with great Health Benefits
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJMarch 22, 2012
Company is currently restructuring their IT organization to support a Global SAP Implementation. While both of these events are meant to create more efficiency in the company as a whole, there have been many delays that have caused this project to drag on well past (years) its original projected go live date. Associates are forced to work long hours and weekends. While this could be sustained for short periods of time, the current timeline projects this work model for at least the next 12 months. Burn out is becoming an epidemic.
Pros
reputable company, conservative culture
Cons
short breaks, work long hours and weekends
inspections
FINAL INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEApril 15, 2013
A typical day at work is we are assigned a line(s), start doing inspections from the packaging, to inspections of the needles and caps. Documenting each inspection onto the correct document.
I learned more about the health products that we create, and the FDA policies.
Management is very friendly, easy to talk to, and always checking to make sure that we are satisfied.
Co workers easy to work with, easy to talk to, willing to help when asking a question.
Hardest part of job- knowing different defects, knowing how to write a quality notifacation.
Pros
paid for taking lunches, overtime unlimited
Cons
working weekends, working holidays, vacation