Becton Dickinson & Company (BD) Employee Reviews

Advancement opportunities to lower level management available, great benefits packages including continuing education.
Sr Quality Engineer, Label Control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDMay 30, 2015
Opportunities were provided to learn various areas of the business. Gained great experience as a Process Technologist to develop knowledge of manufacturing, filling line equipment and Aseptic processing. As Quality Engineer, I have increased my knowledge of regulatory requirements and developed competency with risk assessment, non-conformance investigations, complaint handling, audit responses for customers and regulatory agencies, and change management. As Label Control Supervisor, I have restructured the department to accommodate expanded product offerings by adding headcount and labeling equipment.
Pros
advancement opportunities, benefits
Cons
no upper management advancement opportunities
good place for career advancement
Senior Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJOctober 5, 2015
Work load is high but you have access to great number of latest technology. You can advance your career when you have access to many technologies. Since this is a global company, you will end up working off hours to meet deadlines. The communication between management and workers need to improve . We always hear changes from word of mouth. By the time they announce, the news is already old. The people are nice to work for. Hardest was to meet deadlines when the company was down sizing
Pros
career advancement
Cons
work/family life balance is difficult
Great Working Culture
Marketing Manager, Cell Culture Environments (Current Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDJanuary 29, 2013
I loved my MBA internship experience at BD. My manager was a great mentor and the work environment in Franklin Lakes was inviting. I had a lot of autonomy in my work and enjoyed exploring new technologies and opportunities.

The most difficult part of my job was getting work done while traveling.

During my time at BD I've learned a lot of business development, portfolio management and product lifecycle management.
Pros
great co-workers and managers who genuinely care about you and your career
Cons
dark building without windows, recent change in work responsibilities
Overall a great company
Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumter SCApril 12, 2012
BD is overall a good company to work for. Especially the plant in South Carolina. Great people that care about what they do. The company has gone thru a lot of changes lately and it has created a lot of stress and uncertainty. Not much communication on what the final result is supposed to look like for the whole corporation. But they treat the employees good. I've had a lot of opportunities and learned a lot. If you want to make a difference you can. I hope I retire from BD.
Pros
good people to work with. good pay and benefits
Cons
too much change and not enough communication
It is great working in a field based position and traveling to different accounts.
Clinical Field Splst/ On Call Clin. Splst (Current Employee) –  FieldApril 12, 2012
My sales team and RBM are all great to work with. I especially enjoy being in hospitals where staff members are having difficulty with a product, and I am able to turn them around to "loving" it. I think that the hardest part of the my job is finding out on a Friday after "business hours" where I am flying to on Monday morning and being gone for the entire week. Lots of planning for very little turn around time.
Dangerous Sharps
DATABASE PROGRAMMER (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 20, 2016
BD sells syringes which are dangerous and lead to needlestick injuries, creating a huge danger for people in the medical profession who deal with patients and sharps. The insulin syringes they sell are infinitely reusable and are the sole reason why HEP-C spreads in the US. Also, their products kill approximately 1,000,000 people globally on a yearly basis and they do nothing to improve the safety of the products they sell in the 3rd world.
Pros
Nice corporate campus
Cons
You won't be able to sleep at night
Becton Dickinson taught me a great deal in the 21 years that I worked for them.
R&D/Sales Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJMarch 16, 2012
Becton, Dickinson & Company was a very good company to work for. They trained you in every aspect of your job and if you needed any additional education, they reimbursed you as long as you passed the course. I learned all my word processing skills at this company. They sent us to many seminars that would teach you how to handle your position better. These seminars were very helpful.
Work life balance
Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJDecember 13, 2014
Good laid back company you have a good work life balance lot of knowledge, the campus in franklin lakes is great, the people are great to work with. the benefit and salary is pretty good

The benefits package was pretty generous. Besides the basics (medical, dental, etc.) tuition reimbursement, adoption help and pet insurance was available

10 years behind in technology systems. Poor/ department company culture. People are not forward thinking and have disjointed processes for quality and problem solving. Blame game is big with the company.
Company made products at this facility and assembled there in house.
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 29, 2015
It was a job that I really enjoyed going to every day. People working here were helpful about learning the job and pleasant to work with. Learned how the robot system worked and how to fix the problem when it went wrong. Items were sealed in a sanitary package for hospital and doctor offices.
Pros
just pleasant atmosphere
Cons
all machines were being set up for robots and less associate help.
response to economy woes has changed the culture and caused some concern for longterm success of cost saving initiatives
operations manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJOctober 23, 2012
current global health economic woes have caused an even more stringent cost culture. understandable, but be careful that cost decisions are made after appropriate analysis, and not based solely on short term goals.
Pros
great people, good benefits and facilities
Cons
when cuts are made for political gain it strips loyalty and makes it 'just a job'
Great place to work and you are always learning new things.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2015
BD is a great place to work. You go to work knowing that your helping people with the products that the company produces. Management was all ways supportive and concern about our safety. At times we had unscheduled deliveries which made use work a little harder, but my co-workers always gave me the help I needed to complete the job. We all learned it always better to work as a team.
I have the motivating gift to help people perform at their next level.
National Sales Training Manager BD Medical (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJApril 28, 2014
My passion is training, coaching, and motivating sales reps to achieve the next level of performance. Much of my time is spent on field rides helping reps analyze their accounts, ensuring the right message is delivered to the right customer with the right frequency. I believe the desire is in all of us to success. My special talent is the ability to help people reach deep inside themselves and to find a way to perform at a level they thought unachievable.
Productive and very nice place to work
SAP Basis Administrator (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 27, 2015
Productive and very nice place to work. A day at BD is very cool and the people are very friendly. I have learned in depth knowledge in SAP BASIS administration. The Management is very co-operative and friendly. Colleagues are very sportive and fun to work with . The hardest part of the job would be multitasking. But I over come that with effective planning at work. Hassle free environment. The most enjoyable part of the job will be interacting with various users across the globe and resolving their issues in SAP systems.
N/A
Banbury Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCSeptember 3, 2015
Work as a temp for hire the pay was great. But if you are going there as a temp do work in the rubber department. It is one of the worst departments in the plant. The manager and supervisors will not give you a honest answer but we hire people who come in after you. Then tell you they are looking for a place to put you. They treat their temps as if they are not people but numbers that they need to keep a track on.
Pros
money
Cons
Rubber department
Do audit everything before start the packaging of 3rd party productions.
Group Leader - QA Dept (Former Employee) –  FairField NJAugust 7, 2015
Always do GMP audit every hour to avoid OOS and help my co workers to finish their work without any mistake.

Be friendly with them and get reward from them in peer review.

Got promotion within few months with my hard work and honesty.
Pros
Reconised my coworkers timely for their hard work with do it award
Cons
Create friendly atmosphere in work place to get more productivities.
one of the hardest, most rewarding and humbling jobs i've ever had
Rubber mill/batch off operator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJune 25, 2015
I worked the rubber mill, the most dangerous job BD of Sumter has. You need to be on your game everyday you're there. Mill operator isn't for the faint of heart, but when you see how life saving equipment starts its life right there on the mill, it puts things in perspective.
Pros
good work team and supervision
Cons
rubber dept is uncomfortably hot.
Great Place, Leading to great life style.
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus NebrasakOctober 11, 2014
Typical Day:Fast pace, multitasking required, always something new

Learning's: Great opportunity for grow, we all worked as a team and you learned from fellow co-workers.

Management / Co-Workers: We were all a team, production to upper management

Hardest Part Of My Job: Was leaving, but leaving for Florida to be closer to my family was a new chapter in my life.

Most enjoyable part of my job: Opportunity for growth.
Pros
great benefits, great opportunities for advancement
Cons
nothing
Great Co-Workers and good company culture overall
Specialist, Contracted (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 12, 2013
I learned new skills while contracting at BD. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new co-workers who were passionate about their work. The overall company culture supported diversity, social awareness and good company and community values . It encouraged work life balance through healthy optional employee activities.
Pros
book clubs, volunteering, social and community awareness
Cons
issues with hiring and lay-offs stress employees and create low morale
Corporate Risk - Administrative Assistant
Part-Time Admin Asst, Corporate Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 13, 2013
management of directors' calendars
assist with insurance renewal and data gathering
process invoices and expense reports
electronic and paper organization of files
assist in administrative pool

learned more about the risk management process and worker's compensation and insurance programs needed for a large corporation

I enjoyed having departmental meeting to catch up on departmental needs and processes
Pros
benefits, good commute
Cons
got laid off - reorganizing company
Despair incuding job enviroment but with excellent pay.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Canaan, CTMay 11, 2015
The job was hard, the hours sucked (We were often stuck with "Mandatory Overtime" which sometimes meant working 7 days a week) and the management was incompetent. Getting vacation time is practically impossible as it's YOUR responsibility to find people to cover for you. The only upside is that the company pays extremely well.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short breaks, Bad hours, bad management