Becton Dickinson & Company (BD)

Becton Dickinson & Company (BD) Employer Reviews

Great people and beautiful offices
Rebate Team Leader/Business Process Analyst (Former Employee), Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 4, 2013
Great place to work and good mangement. Large amount of employees, good benefits, and amentities.
Great Working Culture
Marketing Manager, Cell Culture Environments (Current Employee), Cockeysville, MDJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and managers who genuinely care about you and your career
Cons: dark building without windows, recent change in work responsibilities
I loved my MBA internship experience at BD. My manager was a great mentor and the work environment in Franklin Lakes was inviting. I had a lot of autonomy in my work and enjoyed exploring new technologies and opportunities.

The most difficult part of my job was getting work done while traveling.

During my time at BD I've learned a lot of business – more... development, portfolio management and product lifecycle management. – less
Great work place
Industrial Engineer (Former Employee), Cayey, PRJanuary 27, 2013
Medical devices company where you have the opportunity to expand your knowledge. Stress free workplace where everybody supports each other.
N/A
Quality Associate (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 22, 2013
I really enjoyed working with this company...great company!!
Productive and fast paced
Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 15, 2013
Learned a lot and had fun working there;
Need to build relationships before working in the team;
A LOT of meetings
health and safety is important to the entire plant.
Production Associate (Former Employee), Sumter, SCJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: perfect attendance dinners, t-shirts..bd bucks for cafeteria.
Cons: very few cons..can't think of any
Good place to work..caring management and HR people. Supervisors are knowledgeable and willing to help.
Interesting and stimulating work
Production Operator IV (Former Employee), Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: enjoyed 11 years of stability.
Cons: no longer employed.
I enjoyed Working for BD. It provided an atmosphere that welcomed change and growth.
Corporate Risk - Administrative Assistant
Part-Time Admin Asst, Corporate Risk Management (Former Employee), Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: benefits, good commute
Cons: got laid off - reorganizing company
management of directors' calendars
assist with insurance renewal and data gathering
process invoices and expense reports
electronic and paper organization of files
assist in administrative pool

learned more about the risk management process and worker's compensation and insurance programs needed for a large corporation

I enjoyed having departmental – more... meeting to catch up on departmental needs and processes – less
terrible management, no respect for employees. overall a not so great place to work!!
ISM/PRL operator (Former Employee), BD Medical Columbus NEJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: politics, favortism, lack of respect for workers
I was employed at BD Medical for 6 years and hated every minute of it. Their core values are a joke. We (the employees) used to say that yes BD is helping all people live healthy lives unless you are employed by them, then you don't mater. That's what it boiled down to, we didn't mater unless we were at our machines cranking out the product. There is – more... no work/life balance. If you have kids expect not to spend time with them. It was almost impossible to stay home with a sick kid. We were told on a regular basis to schedule appointments on our days off, which we tried to do, but they would schedule mandatory overtime and didn't care if you had prior engagements. It was your job to find the coverage. All in all management is bad and they treat people like slaves. I am glad I left and glad I never have to go back – less
Steady, conservative firm
Sr. Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: work / life balance, involvement with global health issues
Cons: lack of advancement opportunities and very slow corporate growth
Very conservative company, with an overall great fiscal record. People are very helpful. However, advancement is very limited, as the average seniority is 19 years.
Good Job Security, but stress and long hours are not worth it
Project engineer (Former Employee), BDJanuary 6, 2013
Pros: job security
Cons: no leadership from management, long hours, lots of stress
Manage multiple projects with no real resources or leadership from management. Any change in the project scope usually means more work for me and the project deadline is still the same.
It's a job
Mold Attendant (Current Employee), Canaan, CTJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: predictable shifts
Cons: bad management, too many chiefs, not enough indians. doesn't seem like management listens to employees.
Money is ok for a temp, but the company and management will keep you on as a temp as long as possible even with promises of full-time employment at earlier dates. Co-workers make the night fun and enjoyable.
Solid company values
Master Data Coordinator (SAP) (Current Employee), Wilson, NCNovember 27, 2012
BD lives by these four values:
We do what is right.
We always seek to improve.
We treat each other with respect.
We take personal accountability.

I can attest to the fact that this company does live by these values. They are evident in the everyday operations.
Decent job trying to solve micobiology related problems
Technical Services Representative (associate) (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2012
At BD, I was a technical services representative. A typical day would be spent answering phone calls and emails (requests for information, troubleshooting, filing complaints and closing complaints). I was complaint focus lead for the ID/Susceptibility platform. So I had meetings and reports related to that.
I learned how to relate to people better. – more... Sometimes people just want to be heard and feel that their problems are taken seriously.
The first 4.5 years, management was was great. The last year and 1/2, there was a drastic change in management in my department.
The overwheming majority of co-workers were wonderful and real team players. The hardest part was having a customer who was still not satisfied with any solutions that could be offered to solve a problem. I enjoyed talking to customers about microbiology and training people. – less
Management needs to change.
EMT (Former Employee), Holdrege NEOctober 26, 2012
Pros: good people on the floor
Cons: management, favoritism, no communication, politics, no trust
Keep machines running a improve the process, keep mouth shut and don't suggest anything and just do your job. No trust in Management or support. Trying to keep positive without any support from management. Three o'clock. Was a good place to work, went down hill in the last 3 years........
response to economy woes has changed the culture and caused some concern for longterm success of cost saving initiatives
operations manager (Former Employee), Franklin Lakes, NJOctober 23, 2012
Pros: great people, good benefits and facilities
Cons: when cuts are made for political gain it strips loyalty and makes it 'just a job'
current global health economic woes have caused an even more stringent cost culture. understandable, but be careful that cost decisions are made after appropriate analysis, and not based solely on short term goals.
Working as a temp at Becton Dickinson
Production Operator (Temp) (Former Employee), Hunt Valley,MDOctober 15, 2012
Pros: guaranteed overtime
Cons: management
A typical day of work at Becton Dickinson consisted of pulling samples,packing,assembly,filling out paper work, staging pallets, and sometimes helping prep media for medical testing tubes. I've learned how to pack out medical vials in a safe and efficient manner. I also learned how to use a torquing machine and work inside of a glove box. The management – more... in the department that I worked in was very unprofessional,if I could of switched departments i most definitely would have. My co-workers were pretty okay, great team players. I didn't find the job hard at all, it was fairly easy once you got the paper work down. The most enjoyable part of that job was the overtime. – less
Highly technical and a challenging place to work
Technical Associate (Former Employee), Sumter, SCOctober 2, 2012
Pros: the people and the challenge
Cons: time off
1. A 3-2-2-3 work schedule from 8pm to 8am. 2. I lean mostly technical information and technique setup, troubleshooting, changeover and repairs. 3.Management was good sometime a little differcult. 4. A great group of people to work with. 5. Finding new ways of having a better quality production run. 6. The same as number 5
Innovation-geared environment
Dir Market Development (Current Employee), NJOctober 2, 2012
Understanding global trends on drug delivery system and how to realign organizational imperatives to respond to these trends.
Good place to start career
Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee), Sparks, MDSeptember 9, 2012
Great cross function opportunities, provides high-level customer service