Becton Dickinson & Company (BD) Employee Reviews

Challenging Future
Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 12, 2015
BD has been a great place to work, but the acquisition of CareFusion will challenge us. Change is NOT something BD is good at. Survival in the future is dependent on major change at the speed of light, not the speed of the purple and orange turtle.
Terrible place to work.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Broken Bow, NEApril 4, 2015
This location is run by floor associates and not by true leadership. You are held to incomprehensible deadlines not set by you but by managers that think when the projects should done. 5 Million dollar projects are not accomplished in 3 months!
poor work life balance
Employee (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAMarch 25, 2015
Inconsistent treatment among employees and outrageous demands for after hours availability to be on call for work. Layoffs are frequent and sporadic.
Wonderful Place to work, tough on contractors
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJMarch 9, 2015
Absolutely wonderful place to work, but being there as a contractor is difficult with so many people competing for the same entry level jobs. Atmosphere is friendly between contractors but competition is fierce and expect some late nights proving you deserve the job more than the guy next to you.
Not Happy
Process Operator III (Current Employee) –  Sparks, MDMarch 8, 2015
I am not happy at BD. I am under paid and over worked. I am working 6 /7 days a week and I just not happy there. We are expected to work so many hours that you don't have any time for family.
Stable company with good growth
R&D Staff Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2015
Great benefits
Projects run with sufficient resources and realistic timelines
High performance, high quality products
Productive and very nice place to work
SAP Basis Administrator (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 27, 2015
Productive and very nice place to work. A day at BD is very cool and the people are very friendly. I have learned in depth knowledge in SAP BASIS administration. The Management is very co-operative and friendly. Colleagues are very sportive and fun to work with . The hardest part of the job would be multitasking. But I over come that with effective planning at work. Hassle free environment. The most enjoyable part of the job will be interacting with various users across the globe and resolving their issues in SAP systems.
Lots of opportunity for professional growth
Business Analyst - Contract Analytics and Oper (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 23, 2015
Very fast paced environment, but more than adequate training was provided. Analytical skills along with Excel skills were an important part of the position. Needed to be a team player, yet work independently on a daily basis.
slow moving, great job security
Strategic Innovation & Business Development (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 2, 2015
flat organization with lots of politics, highly experienced and professional managers, a multiple executives to learn from.
Company made products at this facility and assembled there in house.
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 29, 2015
It was a job that I really enjoyed going to every day. People working here were helpful about learning the job and pleasant to work with. Learned how the robot system worked and how to fix the problem when it went wrong. Items were sealed in a sanitary package for hospital and doctor offices.
Pros
just pleasant atmosphere
Cons
all machines were being set up for robots and less associate help.
Good place to work - but could be great with some tweaks
IT function (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 22, 2015
I enjoyed working here, and wish I could stay permanently - but unfortunately, they rely on contractors to do the bulk of the work....and they hardly ever release headcount to make those contractors full-time employees - even though the departments where they work are extremely busy. They will rotate temps in the same position for years. Not sure why - but my guess is to look better to shareholders (less headcount=less cost). About 1/3 of the staff at it's world HQ are temps, contractors, or freelancers.

That aside, they offer a lot of perks to employees such as pension, gym onsite, bank on site, vendors onsite, coffee bar, game room, Weight Watchers at work, corporate discounts, and a lot more. They offer insurance too but I've heard the deductibles are high depending on what plan you choose.

This position allowed me to learn a lot of new skills and make some great contact, mainly because the people there are so nice. Co-workers are eager to help (at least in my area), and there were many places to collaborate and work on projects together. I did find that some of the management is old-school, and don't care much for new ways of doing things (ie web, social media, etc), and it takes forever to get a decision made. Also for a giant company, technology is outdated. Network is slow, and some of the software was really old....i.e. graphics department using Adobe CS3.

Also, it seems that this company has their eye so much on budgets and bottom line, they are failing to innovate and grow.
Pros
great environment, beautiful campus, people are nice, lots of potential, challenging and interesting work
Cons
lack of full-time opportunities, too budget conscious, managers out of touch
Project Scheduler/Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 19, 2015
Great cafeteria, and gym. Good leadership and programs for training.
Fast paced place to work
Production Operator III (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 14, 2015
Typical day consists of preparing product to be manufactured to the company's finished goods.
Hardest part of the job is extensive overtime.
Pros
lunch tickets, quick hits, and other types of recognition for employees that go above and beyond their normal expectations.
Good environment for work.
Global Transportation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 12, 2015
Typical workday started with creating shipments for the all the deliveries that were there.Figuring out what shipments could be dropped and making sure each shipment met shipping standards. Worked as a team to figure out the most efficient way to get out shipments.
Pros
good people and very comfortable.
Cons
when it wasn't busy there was not a lot to do.
I would rather not review my current company.
Technical Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sparks, MDJanuary 8, 2015
I've worked at Becton Dickinson for almost 6 years. I've learned invaluable information over these years and am grateful for the people whom I've met.

The hardest part of my job is the lack of communication from the top level (management) down (subordinates).
Productive work environment
Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCDecember 22, 2014
Productive work environment
encouraged to grow politically
Pros
remote travel at times
Cons
change in work culture
Work life balance
Senior Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJDecember 13, 2014
Good laid back company you have a good work life balance lot of knowledge, the campus in franklin lakes is great, the people are great to work with. the benefit and salary is pretty good

The benefits package was pretty generous. Besides the basics (medical, dental, etc.) tuition reimbursement, adoption help and pet insurance was available

10 years behind in technology systems. Poor/ department company culture. People are not forward thinking and have disjointed processes for quality and problem solving. Blame game is big with the company.
Quality and Production
operator/technical associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCOctober 30, 2014
I and We became a team of coworkers and associates producing quality products for the world.
Pros
excel through learning
Good Medical Device Experience
Process Manager (Current Employee) –  Franklin LakesOctober 27, 2014
Each business is like working for a completely different company. There is a lot of opportunity, if you are patient.
Pros
company values
Cons
some locations are far from ideal
Great money... 12 Hours no rotating. Training needs improvement
Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCOctober 12, 2014
BD was a great place for money. They have great pay, and great bonuses on a quarterly basis, The best day was the day we decided it was time for me to go, It is a very stressful place and the training needs improvement, If they didnt make medical equipment the pay wouldnt be as great. It all comes down to a hospital charging you $100 for an aspirin. Facility is very clean, climate controlled. Management was great to me, understanding and easy to get along with on almost any issue. The problems are some of the lead people below management, they have alot of authority and could throw you under the bus for anything. Something you had nothing to do with could suddenly include your name. They have a fairly high turnover. I should have left long ago but its tough tot turn away from $50-$60K a year. My ADVICE---- GET A GREAT TRAINER!!!! Someone you feel a bond with...
Pros
money- climate control- money-bonuses
Cons
people- training- people