Becton Dickinson & Company Employee Reviews

Packer/Production Handler (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 16, 2017
Facility is always clean and comfortable. The management is very informative and understanding. Work loads are reasonable and goals are set at a reasonable place for highest achievement.
Plastipak associate
Plastipak Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEFebruary 14, 2017
I operated 2 packaging machines at the same time. these machines jammed up and broke down constantly, and we got no time off even on holidays. Because it was a medical manufacturing facility, there was No time off at all.
Pros
It was ajob
Cons
No time off
They had a good equipment to work with.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2017
Count and scan product into it own location. unload in coming truck. Load out going truck. Restock plant. Learned to take my time and make accurate counts. Management was very good to get along with.
Solid company with good track record
Line Leader (Current Employee) –  Holdrege, NEJanuary 30, 2017
Clean, safe, sometimes fun work environment. They do their best to compensate you fairly for your production. Leaders in the industry they are in so they do offer good job security.
Incompetence everywhere with the exception of a few
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sparks, MDJanuary 29, 2017
Hiring seems to be reactive instead of proactive and anticipated. HR is difficult to reach and has made several payroll mistakes that have not been rectified. In addition to the incompetence within HR, compliance seems to be sitting on their hump taking nearly a year and a half to rectify things you emailed them as well as management about.

Most of the people I work with are great individuals with strong skills but there a few people that are not qualified and were probably hired rather hastily. I don't enjoy having to do repeat visits because these unqualified individuals couldn't do the job correctly to begin with.

Management changes every two years like clockwork. One minute you're expected to do something one way then six months later you'll be told to do it another way. The management makes so many changes so often that you won't even remember which procedure to follow. And then you'll have compliance jumping down your throat about paperwork being incorrect not even 24 hours after you've completed it.

I expect the Bobs to come in soon and start trying to pinch pennies everywhere. The annual meetings went from having your own room to bunking with someone else.

The benefits are actually worse than smaller companies like Medtronic; more specifically Aetna vs. Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'm also not able to buy shares at a discount which is something I could do with other smaller companies I've worked for.

Overall, I'd say the company is like any other big company - you're just an eight digit number out of the other tens of thousands. The only good thing about this
  more... company is some of the people I work with.  less
Pros
People
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Incompetence, Benefits
Global Medical Technology Company with a great Medical Sales Team and awesome Clinical Consultants
Manager, Clinical Consultants (Former Employee) –  Virginia (home based)January 26, 2017
Everyday was different, depending on the needs of the Sales Consultants.
My day was filled with any one of the following:
* Teaching infusion therapy courses to nurses in the hospital setting
* Teaching PICC line insertion classes to nurses in the hospital setting
* Presenting clinical features of a product to Materials Manager, CFO or CEO of a hospital
* Performing audits in hospital setting, and then presenting the outcome to the account
*Interacting with nurses in all departments of the hospital relative to the use of a new product.
*Collecting data, inputting on a spreadsheet, and presenting to committees.
*Working with Sales Consultants to plan and implement a hospitals conversion to our product.

During the 14+ years I worked at BD, I learned how to work around company politics, and manage a large group of nurses who were located all over the country. It was very different from working together as a team in one department in a hospital.

BD is a very diverse company, and that broadened my horizons. Like I've said before, they are very supportive of clinicians, knowing we bring the clinical credibility to the product when we are meeting with hospital administrators.

The most difficult part of the job was achieving work/home balance. I arrived home on Friday evening, and was back in the home office on Sunday afternoons, to prepare for the work week.

I traveled on Monday morning (sometimes Sunday evening), and returned home on Thursday or Friday nights. I did enjoy this travel (even though I listed it as a "con" below) and have worked with and
  more... met so many wonderful people. "I loved what I did when I got to where I was going"  less
Pros
Company Car, Bonuses based on individual and company performance, Travel.
Cons
Monday - Friday travel 3-4 weeks/month
Bd
IT (Former Employee) –  NJJanuary 25, 2017
BD is a nice place to work. Management is a bit overwhelming if you enjoy working on your own and having original ideas. The direction of IT is typically flavor of the day.
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Cons
Leadership
Engineering Technician Co Op
Engineering Technician Co-op (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 23, 2017
This was a great first co op for a college student. Working here was a great introduction into corporate America. The work in my opinion was too monotonous.
Poor overall experience
Diagnostic Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2017
Poor communication from France back to the states with little or no direction on product launch effectiveness.

Great work life balance, but no real opportunity for economic growth
Productive workplace, with friendly associates.
International Customer Support Rep II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2017
Self governed environment no micromanaging.
Management always available for questions and any assistance that may be applicable. Co- workers always available for questions and willing to help. Extremely friendly/professional work environment.
Line Technician/mechanic (Former Employee) –  CTJanuary 12, 2017
Great place to work, 12 hour shifts. Good people, great pay and benefits. Decent management, hardest part king shifts but many days off a month due to that
Pros
Lot of overtime equals lots of extra money per year
Cons
Long shifts
Learned a lot
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sparks, MDJanuary 8, 2017
Great place to work, learn and grow. Hours can be on the long side but enjoyable people to work with. Spent most of my career here and was able to learn many aspects of distribution through manufacturing.
Pros
Opportunities for learning
Cons
Advancement
it's okay
Director, Marketing (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2017
BD can be a tough environment for a newcomer. it seems rarely that newcomers are put in the best position to succeed though high expectations are placed upon their sholders.
Becton Dicinson & Co
Production Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCJanuary 4, 2017
Operated machinery to produce medical product within specified quality/quantity limits. Maintained accurate equipment logs recording pertinent information about production, downtime, and maintenance problems.
Pros
Management helpful and very friendly
Cons
There were no cons that I experienced.
Great for a temporary job
R&D Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 3, 2017
I worked at BD for 15 months, I started with a 6 month contract that was extended twice.
During my interview, I was told that there would be room for advancement, but when the opportunity arrived, and I was recommended for the position, there was an obvious bias.

the coworkers were very nice, but certain positions were very micromanaged to the point of inefficiency .
Pros
subsidized meals
Cons
short breaks, no health care under contract
Company with advanced technology in medical device industry
SOFTWARE QUALITY ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Well respected company in the Medical device industry. Designs and manufactures great products. Provides room to grow in career.
team work, etc
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTDecember 29, 2016
fun to learn medical device assembly, quality etc inspection of medical device, co workers are great. nothing hard part for job,
provide best quality control
Pros
advancement opportunity
Cons
hard to get permanent
Good company. Good job. Great co-workers
Molecular Application Specialist (retired) (Former Employee) –  Sparks, MDDecember 27, 2016
Good exposure to a non-stop learning environment. Mastered use, training, troubleshooting and support of all BD Molecular Diagnostics platforms. Job required nearly constant travel. Customer facing opportunities were highlight of the job.
Pros
Was allowed to accumulate all travel related points (airline and hotel)
Cons
Excessive travel
Support companies research division
Senior Intellectual Property Counsel (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJDecember 26, 2016
I supported the companies research division, which was conducting research for future products to feed the companies pipeline. This was in line with my previous experience and background. It was a great opportunity to do IP strategy development and implementation.
Great opportunities
Material Planner/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoDecember 26, 2016
Good company to work for and great opportunities if you are an exempt employee. Hourly employees do not have the same development plans or opportunities.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No development plans for hourly associates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Becton Dickinson & Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Becton Dickinson & Company Reviews by Location