Becton Dickinson & Company Employee Reviews

Medical Production
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Cockysville, MDMarch 13, 2017
Good work place . Pay good . Also three different plants to work in. Clean environment and secure place to work.I ran a machine that makes test tubes for diseases.
Pros
Cons
Supervisor not very nice
BD is a good company to work for unless you need steady income.
Senior Product Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2017
The work itself is very interesting. You get to tear into a ventilator unit and replace a large circuit board that controls the pneumatic part of the unit. Then you calibrate the unit and perform an operational verification procedure to ensure everything is working per manual specifications. You get to travel to various parts of the United States and stay in very nice accommodations with a rental car all at company expense. The hardest thing was waiting for parts when there was a malfunction. It was a major loss of time. For me, the most enjoyable part of the job was working on the machine itself since I enjoy working with technology. The workplace was very professional. I am proud to be an employee of this company. Although the management encouraged communication, it did not always seem to work both ways, i.e. from manager to employee.
Pros
Travel, very nice accomodations, rental car, rewarding work
Cons
The work is not steady - you only get paid when you're out at a site.
Nice people, ineffective leadership
Total Rewards Consultant (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJMarch 3, 2017
Contracted for BD for 7 months. Very nice campus to work in and great colleagues. However, there is very poor leadership and everyone seems to leave after 3-5 years which results in lack of continuity and confusion. They change contractors often. Very strange and secretive environment. They do not work smart and often the work is redundant because there are so many silos and turnovers. There does seem to be a disconnect between corporate and manufacturing sides of the firm.
Pros
Campus, colleagues, parking
Cons
Lack of leadership, constant turnover of contractors, employees fearing for their jobs, lack of collaboration within your own team
Good work place to work.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Sparks, MDMarch 1, 2017
The job is very simple and easy to do. The job contain just picking and pull.
The company management doesn't have any clue how the work is done in the warehouse.

The job is fast past and stressful.
Pros
Give you 3 weeks vacation on hire, plus good retirement benefit
Cons
Manager don't care about employees medical condition
Great culture
Quality Assurance Systems Lead (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 27, 2017
BD is a company dedicated to continuous improvement and their employees. Career opportunities for those willing to move past their comfort zone.
Open and creative environment
R&D Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJFebruary 27, 2017
Had a great internship, learned a lot, and worked with some great people. Open, innovative, and a fun place to work. Work done at BD is carried throughout a career as rewarding and practical work.
plant work
Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  Sumter, SCFebruary 22, 2017
Management was not what I expected, completely hands off and did not seem to care about employees. Little to no camaraderie.
Pros
Cons
no teamwork
Packer/Production Handler (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 16, 2017
Facility is always clean and comfortable. The management is very informative and understanding. Work loads are reasonable and goals are set at a reasonable place for highest achievement.
Plastipak associate
Plastipak Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEFebruary 14, 2017
I operated 2 packaging machines at the same time. these machines jammed up and broke down constantly, and we got no time off even on holidays. Because it was a medical manufacturing facility, there was No time off at all.
Pros
It was ajob
Cons
No time off
They had a good equipment to work with.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 6, 2017
Count and scan product into it own location. unload in coming truck. Load out going truck. Restock plant. Learned to take my time and make accurate counts. Management was very good to get along with.
Solid company with good track record
Line Leader (Current Employee) –  Holdrege, NEJanuary 30, 2017
Clean, safe, sometimes fun work environment. They do their best to compensate you fairly for your production. Leaders in the industry they are in so they do offer good job security.
Incompetence everywhere with the exception of a few
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sparks, MDJanuary 29, 2017
Hiring seems to be reactive instead of proactive and anticipated. HR is difficult to reach and has made several payroll mistakes that have not been rectified. In addition to the incompetence within HR, compliance seems to be sitting on their hump taking nearly a year and a half to rectify things you emailed them as well as management about.

Most of the people I work with are great individuals with strong skills but there a few people that are not qualified and were probably hired rather hastily. I don't enjoy having to do repeat visits because these unqualified individuals couldn't do the job correctly to begin with.

Management changes every two years like clockwork. One minute you're expected to do something one way then six months later you'll be told to do it another way. The management makes so many changes so often that you won't even remember which procedure to follow. And then you'll have compliance jumping down your throat about paperwork being incorrect not even 24 hours after you've completed it.

I expect the Bobs to come in soon and start trying to pinch pennies everywhere. The annual meetings went from having your own room to bunking with someone else.

The benefits are actually worse than smaller companies like Medtronic; more specifically Aetna vs. Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'm also not able to buy shares at a discount which is something I could do with other smaller companies I've worked for.

Overall, I'd say the company is like any other big company - you're just an eight digit number out of the other tens of thousands. The only good thing about this
  more... company is some of the people I work with.  less
Pros
People
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Incompetence, Benefits
Global Medical Technology Company with a great Medical Sales Team and awesome Clinical Consultants
Manager, Clinical Consultants (Former Employee) –  Virginia (home based)January 26, 2017
Everyday was different, depending on the needs of the Sales Consultants.
My day was filled with any one of the following:
* Teaching infusion therapy courses to nurses in the hospital setting
* Teaching PICC line insertion classes to nurses in the hospital setting
* Presenting clinical features of a product to Materials Manager, CFO or CEO of a hospital
* Performing audits in hospital setting, and then presenting the outcome to the account
*Interacting with nurses in all departments of the hospital relative to the use of a new product.
*Collecting data, inputting on a spreadsheet, and presenting to committees.
*Working with Sales Consultants to plan and implement a hospitals conversion to our product.

During the 14+ years I worked at BD, I learned how to work around company politics, and manage a large group of nurses who were located all over the country. It was very different from working together as a team in one department in a hospital.

BD is a very diverse company, and that broadened my horizons. Like I've said before, they are very supportive of clinicians, knowing we bring the clinical credibility to the product when we are meeting with hospital administrators.

The most difficult part of the job was achieving work/home balance. I arrived home on Friday evening, and was back in the home office on Sunday afternoons, to prepare for the work week.

I traveled on Monday morning (sometimes Sunday evening), and returned home on Thursday or Friday nights. I did enjoy this travel (even though I listed it as a "con" below) and have worked with and
  more... met so many wonderful people. "I loved what I did when I got to where I was going"  less
Pros
Company Car, Bonuses based on individual and company performance, Travel.
Cons
Monday - Friday travel 3-4 weeks/month
Bd
IT (Former Employee) –  NJJanuary 25, 2017
BD is a nice place to work. Management is a bit overwhelming if you enjoy working on your own and having original ideas. The direction of IT is typically flavor of the day.
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Cons
Leadership
Engineering Technician Co Op
Engineering Technician Co-op (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJJanuary 23, 2017
This was a great first co op for a college student. Working here was a great introduction into corporate America. The work in my opinion was too monotonous.
Poor overall experience
Diagnostic Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2017
Poor communication from France back to the states with little or no direction on product launch effectiveness.

Great work life balance, but no real opportunity for economic growth
Productive workplace, with friendly associates.
International Customer Support Rep II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 15, 2017
Self governed environment no micromanaging.
Management always available for questions and any assistance that may be applicable. Co- workers always available for questions and willing to help. Extremely friendly/professional work environment.
Line Technician/mechanic (Former Employee) –  CTJanuary 12, 2017
Great place to work, 12 hour shifts. Good people, great pay and benefits. Decent management, hardest part king shifts but many days off a month due to that
Pros
Lot of overtime equals lots of extra money per year
Cons
Long shifts
Learned a lot
Material Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sparks, MDJanuary 8, 2017
Great place to work, learn and grow. Hours can be on the long side but enjoyable people to work with. Spent most of my career here and was able to learn many aspects of distribution through manufacturing.
Pros
Opportunities for learning
Cons
Advancement
it's okay
Director, Marketing (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 4, 2017
BD can be a tough environment for a newcomer. it seems rarely that newcomers are put in the best position to succeed though high expectations are placed upon their sholders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Becton Dickinson & Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Becton Dickinson & Company Reviews by Location