Behavioral Health Employee Reviews in United States

Growing Company with unlimited potential
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Southeastern United StatesJanuary 13, 2016
BHG is a growing company that presents many opportunities for those who want career advancement, but who are also willing to put in the time to achieve it.

Front line personnel (Admin support, counselors and nurses) are the backbone of this company. As is the case with any growing company, profits are often put back into the company for purposes of growth. This doesn't always favor front line personnel. While BHG has made strides in improving employee compensation, room for improvement still exists. As this improves, the quality of front line personnel will also improve.

Middle Management (Program Directors, Executive Directors and Regional Directors) drive the daily operations within the treatment centers. With the company growing as quickly as it is, there is a vacuum of quality leadership in this area. The intent is to develop and promote from within, but until this pipeline can be put in place, BHG is relying on hiring externally.

Upper Management (Regional VPs and Headquarter personnel) leads me to believe that this company is on solid footing. During my time with BHG, I was able to be part of the strategic planning and decision making processes that have led to its ongoing growth. The support given to the field, at the corporate level, allows operations to improve and become very efficient. BHG subscribes to the decentralized model, where each entity out in the field drives the business, with corporate headquarters supporting them at every turn.

The hardest part of my job was finding high quality personnel for key positions. Part of the reason for this may
  more... have been compensation, but another reason, that can't be overlooked, is the overall negative stigma that is attached to the industry of Opiate Addiction.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being given the autonomy to improve my operations using my own strengths.
Pros
Advancement; Development; Corporate Support, High Pace
Cons
Compensation at certain levels
Great supervisor
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 9, 2016
I assisted individuals with a residential setting who needed various types of needs met. I had to complete grocery shopping once a week for 3 individuals and assist them in planning a healthy meal each week. I assisted each individual by getting them to each and every doctors appointment, activity, and family gathering when necessary. I feel the hardest part of the job is when not knowing exactly how to answer a question right at that very moment and getting yelled at or called names due to now knowing how to answer a question. I feel the best part of the job is when your able to see just how much you've impacted an individuals life just by doing the smallest things by bring them new furniture into their house or getting their vehicle fixed.
Pros
enhance learning skills
Cons
no breaks, too much paperwork, no training
Company could benefit from program evaluation
Addictions Counselor (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 2, 2016
Aging management and workforce population bring multiple overlapping daily personal issues to the table that impede client treatment goals:

1) mental health (e.g., gender identity disorder, unresolved internal conflict, stress of supporting addicted family member, loneliness, emotional dysregulation, professional ethics rebellion, interpersonal boundary violations, under-educated, lack of qualified chain-of-command supervision, anti-Christian, anti-diversity, anti-law-enforcement, etc.)

2) recovery (e.g., cravings, anger mgmt, aggression, frustration, distorted thinking patterns, low self-esteem, depression/anxiety, lack of continuing rehabilitation, etc.)

3) physical health concerns (e.g., age-related medical issues such as menopause, poor dentition disrupting communication, adult ADD, Alzheimer's, short-term memory loss, inability to focus, lack of self-care, etc.).

Internal culture heavily influenced by 1930's top-down verbal/non-documented/legacy model with employee-client relations built on shared addiction experience rather than implementation of prosocial skills, updated education and training best practices.
Pros
Excellent computer software and hardware
Cons
Aging undereducated management/administrative workforce
Great company that helped a lot of people
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Shoreline, WAFebruary 22, 2016
I worked for this company for 4 years and was sadly laid off due to big budget cuts. I was able to see the company grow in so many areas and it helped many people in the community with health resources and mental health.
Pros
New building, great management, a lot of training
Cons
Not enough money to make it through budget cuts
Great work environment and company mission
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 19, 2016
Great work environment. Family feel with my colleagues, Great group of people. Unfortionately there is not much room for growth and advancement. Felt like I needed a new challenge. Overall a great company that cared about their employees and the families we worked with(client cases).
Pros
Work environment, co-workers. Company Mission.
Cons
Not much, if any room for growth within the company.
Fun place to work, get to play different game with client
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2016
Team work environment, supportive of client and staff. Feels like home environment for both staff and client. Room for advancement and encouragement
Ok
RN (Current Employee) –  Granite City ILNovember 4, 2015
I absolutly love my job. I work on a behavior health unit. We have four different age groups we serve from Children to Older Adults. A typical work day consist of charting, daily monitoring of patients overall health and psychiatric well being. I have learned alot working in behavioral health about people and various psychiatric conditions. Management is very helpful and fair. Most of my coworkers are amazing and helpful. The hardest part of my job is not being able to "fix" someone's problems. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know my patients and talking to them in order to help them cope with some of their issues.
educational
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAApril 30, 2016
BHS company was a very family field organization i loved working there the health care benefits was grate it was continue education which was offered for free but they pay wasnt not so grate for the work provided by employees
Pros
free education, benifits
Cons
pay not so good
Full of surprises.
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boyle Heights, CAApril 29, 2016
I loved this job, the staff was awesome. we worked as a team. i learned a lot about addicts. i enjoyed helping people , and seeing them overcome their addiction was priceless.
Pros
Staff was great we worked as a team.
Cons
Its hard working with addicts.
Diverse company with health at heart
Clinical Performance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Good company, lots of opportunity for advancement. Progressive, cutting-edge. Great employees, fun environment. Encourage work-life balance, health and fitness, and diversity.
Amazing place
Child psychiatrist (Former Employee) –  Jones, MDJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent Doctor that care for children mental stability. Nothing else to say. I was able to learned a growth. IT is a place that believe in children and their emotional stability
Pros
amazing eviroment
Cons
Thrives in a challenging high stress environment
LVN NIX SPECIALTY (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasSeptember 10, 2015
My goal is to further my education and to strengthen my clinical experience. I worked in a high volume behavioral health hospital responsible for 30 patients on a 60 patient floor. My daily tasks involved medication administration throughout the day, vitals, labs, wound care, and chart checks. Also worked directly with doctors, RNs, and social worker to provide the best care possible for our patients.
I have several letters of recommendation from nursing supervisors, colleagues, and the medical director for nix hospitals.
Pros
incentive pay, shift deferential
Great place to work, very family oriented
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCOctober 30, 2015
They make sure that all employees are current with their training. They also allow you to sign up for additional training that you may need.
Pros
They provide car service so that you don't have to drive your car to appointments.
Cons
budget cuts concerning mental health
Very interesting place to work at.
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Miami, Fl 33136October 6, 2015
Every day I wonder what to expect when I get to work. This is a true challenge and I love it. some might think its a crazy place but its not these are adult children that don't have a complete mind. You must have a heart.
Pros
No time for breaks at times
Cons
rewarding job
Interesting and challenging place to work.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJuly 6, 2014
I enjoyed my six years with Johns Hopkins and gained a great deal of knowledge and new skills.
Pros
paid training, paid travel, excellent compensation
Cons
hectic schedule, quick deadlines, many meetings
Fast Growing Opportunities
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 8, 2014
A typical workday for me, working with behavioral health physicians, and patients. Verifying EOB's to physicians, sending physician list to patients and physicians,and filing claims.

I've learn to always pay attention to details, be a good listener, and never take an opportunity given for granted.

Management was very helpful and always made changes within the company.

The hardest part was leaving the job, due to assignment ending.

The most enjoyable part is helping the patient getting everything their needing.
Pros
free gym, luncheons, growing opportunities within
Cons
not enough training, need proper coaching
Great Learning Experience
Technician (Former Employee) –  MOApril 14, 2014
Typical Day: Daily accounted for clients to ensure safety and daily treatment attendance
- Documented client behaviors & reported abnormal, potentially dangerous, and any client who my have needed medical attention
- Distributed prescribed medications at scheduled times
What I learned: I was able to gain experience working with clients who suffered from substance abuse and had the opportunity to assist federal inmates to re-enter society. It helped me to be apart of a very important transition in all of the client's lives.
Management: My supervisor was amazing, very accommodating, and approachable.
Co-Workers: My co-workers were an amazing and tight-knitted crew. Everyone communicated well, everyone was willing to assist each other without any delay
Obstacles: Everyday was unpredictable. Everyday we came across new clients with different personalities, backgrounds, and issues. At times, the job became very dangerous and overwhelming.
Positive Feedback: It was truly a blessing being able to be apart of so many people's lives and to help them to the road to recovery. I made it my goal to touch the life of someone in need of help.
Pros
free lunch, great work environment, opportunities for promotions
Cons
inconsistent scheduling at times
wonderful experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  miami beach,flOctober 9, 2013
I have learned about Psychiatry and mental health disorders.
Typical day at work includes behavioral health assessment, medication administration, restraints, internal and external transfers. Hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive patients. the most enjoyable was helping others. Great management, great co workers.
Pros
helping others
Cons
lack of opportunity for advancement
No two days are ever the same and that's GREAT
Business Service Coordinator at VNSNY (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2012
There is no such thing as a typical day at the Visiting Nurse Service of NY in the Behavioral Health Program and I must say that is one of the perks. There is never a dull moment. From the interactions with patients and coworkers,to maintaining the office-there is no such thing as a duplicate day. It keeps me on my toes and helps me learn how to prioritize tasks.

The most difficult part of my job is maintaining the billing for all the counties we serve, but it has served as a great learning opportunity for me. The most enjoyable is providing comfort and assistance to our patients even if it is over the phone until our nurses and doctors reach their homes.
Pros
healthcare, interaction with patients, great coworkers
Cons
minimal room for growth
A very rewarding job helping people
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJuly 31, 2012
Every work day was very busy attending clients needs, which I love doing because I enjoy helping people in general. I learned how to listen to people and how to help them make better decisions in their lives via counseling. My co-workers worked as hard as anybody trying to help their clients also. We were together as a team and got along great. The hardest part of the job is witnessing people struggle with their drug/alcohol addiction and the most enjoyable was being able to help them stop their addiction.
Pros
interaction with people
Cons
working as a per-diem counselor, full time position wasn't not available.