Belk, Inc

Belk, Inc Employee Reviews

It provided bill paying compensation during the recession
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 17, 2015
Pros: Being able to pay bills during an incredibly rough economic period, being in a dept. with the best VENDOR bonus plan in the store.
Cons: Everything else
Without overly disparaging the company, they were a family owned retail operation that was successful for 125 years because their employees were known for great customer service. That they decided to forego that background and simply pound and denigrate the contributions of the hourly workforce is unfortunate. One simple fact of life there was NO MATTER WHAT level of sales an associate accomplished or how well-maintained their department, the only factor that management was concerned about was getting credit applications, a result of putting their corporate card with GE Financial.
Everyone knows you don't get rich in retail, but there was no reason for the way they have been treating the employees for last 4+ years. For co-workers, there remained a desire to produce because thats what you do in a sales job, but that ethic has been beaten into the ground.

That they hire managers from other retailers, even while running a management training program is an obvious factor in a 90% loss of experienced managers in 2012-13.
Enjoying being able to meet new people
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sebring, FLJuly 15, 2015
Cons: healthcare, no advancement.
Every day I had the pleasure of meeting new people, and assisting them with anything they needed. I also had the opportunity to develop my own clientele book for my everyday customers, which gave me a chance to know them more personable. What I learned at this job was customer service skills, in person and on the phone. My co-workers were great to work with. We always stood together as a team, and helped each other as much as we could. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I could make someone happy even just by helping them with the smallest thing.
Productive, challenging place to work.
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 7, 2015
I am pleased with the way the company will work with you around your schedule. My co-workers are friendly and work as a team.
Assisting customers was the best part
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 29, 2015
Pros: Shopping discount
Cons: It was only a seasonal position
I made certain the area was always neat and that no clothes were strewn about anywhere.
I learned to familiarize myself further in the use of a cash register.
The management was fair and professional.
There was no hard part to the job.
The most enjoyable was when it was very busy.
An energetic work place.
CEO Thomas M Belk Jr (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 28, 2015
Pros: Great discounts and Sales for employees
Cons: Management Skills
A typical day in my workplace, consist of me setting up and opening up registers. Being involved in a lot of cash handling was a daily process. Mornings consist of sale setting and organization. As lead sales of the department my job was to insure the best customer service as well as to make sure Inventory was counted and that items were being merchandised correctly. Merchandise had to be processed and documented and reported to the area manager.

The most enjoyable part of my day revolved around the happy customers, seeing them walk away content or happy was my goal. I am aware that not every one is pleasable, but anyone can agree with and understand great communication. At all times i ensured the best communication.

By the end of each day I learned and strategised ways to increase sales as a whole and specif items on the market.
Largest publicly held department store company
Construction Project Manager, SP, D & C (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 19, 2015
Well managed, well run management structure providing independent thought and execution by its management team within well defined and efficient systems.
Stay Away
Operations Team (Current Employee), South Boston, VAJune 9, 2015
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: low pay, few hours, incompetent management, self defeating culture, etc.
Management is abusive and incompetent. They expect too much work for too little pay. Hard work is not rewarded and taken advantage of. Rumors and gossip run the store, not management. The general manager is incredibly lazy and spends his time trying to irritate the personnel manager, and in closed door meetings with one of his employee pets... who is an attractive female... I will let you connect the dots.
Great if you enjoy retail
Clinique Counter Manager (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCApril 28, 2015
Cons: management changes often
fast paced retail setting, learned a lot about how a large department store works. The pay is not bad but the company is not the same as it used to be.
Management is condisending and rude to associates
Sales Support (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2015
Pros: You have a job
Cons: Everything on a daily basis
Management is poor at best. Management treats associates as stupid worthless people. There is virtually nothing enjoyable about this company and working there.
Overall a great company to grow within the retail industry
Sales Team Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2015
Pros: salary, schedule changes, vacation time, helping customers
Cons: need new registers, sale set downsized, moving fixtures, employee morale
I've worked for belk for the past 8 years. My experiences started just as a part time associate while in college. I've advanced my way to management within the company to gain the skills and knowledge to step out of the retail realm and dive into another career. The company is the only family owned retail company and that's one thing Belk firmly hold on to. However, they do need to advance their technology within the store fully and not just testing stores. I started at 19 and now as 27 I would have thought they would have invested in the current technology that will soldify sales and drive business for its company. I have nothing but respect for the Belk and will always be grateful for the opportunity they have given me.
Quite Interesting to say the least
Merchandise Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: work-life balance
Cons: company morale
This position is great for a young girl right out of college who wants to get the corporate experience with a fairly large retail company.
Well run in certain areas
Vice President - Treasurer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 16, 2015
Can be a very good company to work for, depending on area. Cross-functional teamwork needs a great deal of work. Corporate goal attainment, functional area effectiveness, and job satisfaction would benefit greatly by facilitating priority of goals and resources across functional areas.
Great family environment within the store.
Sales Team Manager (Former Employee), TNMarch 9, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: not enough employees to complete tasks timely.
Customer Service, set sales, hire employees. Training and development. Establish goals and improvement plans. Orientation.
Good for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Concord, NCMarch 8, 2015
Pros: monthly status checks.
A good place to work. I learned a lot about retail, and servicing the public in a fast pace atmosphere. The company was very good about providing the tools to help one improve.
Good overall place to work.
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Burlington, NCJanuary 30, 2015
Good overall place to work. Hours were long during the holidays. Salesfloor people are at a minimum and are expected to do a lot during their shift. Salary is competitive for the area.
Loved my job!
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MSJanuary 23, 2015
Worked with great people in a company that valued Visual Merchandisers.
A Day At Belk
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Goldsboro, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: the people
Cons: store manager
A pretty nice place to work. Co workers were nice, most of the managers were wonderful to work for!
A Good Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Clarksville,TNDecember 3, 2014
Pros: good place
Cons: paycuts
Belk is a nice place to work. I cannot say anything particularly negative other than there need to be more employees in order to get all tasks completed. I enjoyed working there part-time while in school. The makeup counter was my favorite department to work in. The jewelry department was also a fun place to work. They push you to make sales and open credit card accounts. Also, you have to meet a sales quota but are still paid salary. Overall, a good place to work.
I would love to stay
Sales Team Manager/Associate (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 24, 2014
Pros: the people, and merchandising
Cons: leadership, business practises, work/life balance
I liked the new skills I gained during my 10 years with the company. I loved the merchandising portion of my job, the business/sales analyzation of working in retail, but for the amount of work the pay isn't good.
n/a
Assistant Buyer, Shoes (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 15, 2014
I have worked @ Belk for 12 years and very much enjoyed my time there. Learned a lot about retail and worked with great people.

1 2 3 4