Belk Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,387 reviews matching the search
Belk has great core values and vision for their employees.
Regional Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 29, 2016
Belk is committed to excellent customer service while having accessible tools for associates to do so. The company has reasonable expectations for all positions within the company.
Productive and great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSJune 26, 2016
Belk was a great place to work at. I met great people working there. The retail working life at Belk was very challenging. I enjoyed working there and the discounts were amazing!
Pros
Receiving the discounts
Cons
Working extended long hours during the holidays
Large chain company with standarized workday
Ladies Shoes Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 25, 2016
Training was in-depth, but did not prepare for the hands on nature of the job. Unclear with benefits and commission, with very long shifts with short breaks.
Cons
Arguments between other employees made it hard to concentrate on my work
Top notch family friendly workplace.
Part-time Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wise, VAJune 25, 2016
Belk is not a bad place to work for. Like in most other retail workplaces, you are expected to do your job and keep on your toes. The experience can be rough sometimes as you constantly have to do something, but the key to doing this job just like most any other retail job is to persevere and conquer.
Pros
Friendly staff, cultured customers, quality sales products and services
Cons
Short breaks, outdated technology, advancement seems limited
great atmosphere
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 22, 2016
Belk has a great team of managers who always are there to answer any questions and make you the best you can be. their honest, fun, and see potential in good employees. i feel as though there's room to grow with Belk.
Pros
great snacks in breakroom
Cons
recovery
Employees and Customers were great Schedule was horrible
Beauty Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 22, 2016
This was a fast paced stressful at times place to work for. I really enjoyed the customers other employees. The scheduling was horrible. You did not get your schedule for the next week till 1-2 days before Sunday (which is when the next week started). By then you could never make personal plans for a Sunday.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Schedules
College Students At Belk
Young Contemporary (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 20, 2016
As a rising junior in college i love having the opportunity to make some extra money on the side of also going to school. Belk pays you 9/hr starting off which is pretty decent. I use to work in an area where employees made comission and i had to move because i couldn't handle how catty it was. Great money but not worth the headache to me. The manager i currently have is extremely rude and condescending. Nothing you ever do is going to be good enough and to top it all off, the biggest issue is the work/life balance. They don't seem to understand that school is my number 1 priority and that sometimes I have to sacrifice a few hours at work for school related activities. I feel extremely frustrated that i'm being given a hard time when i cant devote 150% of my time to Belk. As a part timer, i shouldnt be expected to devote all my time here especially when these people knew i was a college STUDENT when they hired me. The hardest part of this job is pretty much dealing with managers. The customers are typically more sweet and understanding than my current manager. The best part of the job is that i've met so many amazing coworkers and friends. They all understand the struggle, therefore; they are a good support system.
Pros
Pay, 20% discount
Ota for the beginning
OTA (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GAJune 18, 2016
When I first started at belk it was enjoyable. I was always willing to work extra and stay beyond the end of my shift. Things began to change when management changed. Ota employees get very little respect at my location. We do the most with little to no recognition but when something is wrong we will most definitely get talked down to. We do not get invited to any morning meetings when something important is being said, well with the exception for the one time that they were annoucing pacesetters and than we were dismiss while the meeting continued. Alot is expected to be done when most of the team leave right after truck. Management look out for themselves and HR is the last person you should talk to is there is any problems.
Meh
Operations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJune 17, 2016
This was a good place to start as a first job. I had something to do at all times, and it kept me busy. The management team were all focused more on the money side of things than the needs of the employees. All the coworkers i worked with were very kind.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 16, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company for the short time that I worked there. I got along with everyone and the job and duties were very laid back. You didn't have any breathing down your neck to get work done because everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing and had fun doing it.
fast-paced, eclectic workplace
sales associate/OPS team member (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 16, 2016
My employment here at Belk was definitely a game changing experience. While I am a people person and love to be social, full-time fashion retail was not for me, at this time. I was much happier when I joined the OPS team and stocked merchandise and aided in the daily presentation of the store.
However, I truly believe that I could've matured into loving it and blossomed in the fashion retail business if management had been improved. During my time spent here at Belk, management was selfish, lacked understanding of another person's life circumstance, "sat high and looked low", and wasn't genuine in their employee-management relationships. I speak of the management team as a whole, however, there were individuals who stood out and truly loved to help their department teams work to reach goals; were genuine in conversation; believed in team spirit; and will someday make wonderful Retail Managers. If it weren't for these individuals who showed me that in a bad situation, good could still be found, I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did.
Pros
good benefits, good pay, no room for boredom, excellent social experience
Cons
upper management made it had for lower management to gain trust from workers, very cliqish, promoted hostile competition between departments
Great job with a versatile atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 14, 2016
Typical day consist of placing items on the sales floor, performing cash register operations, talking with customers, placing online orders for items that are not in store.
Cosmetic Manager
Management, Sales (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NYJune 14, 2016
Reach out to as many people as possible, train by example. Teach those you come in contact with about the product and how to use and apply. Explain the benefits, and provide exceptional customer service.
Great Company, Just some management growing pains
Operations Team Associate Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 13, 2016
Enjoyed my time at Belk. Worked as an operations associate at the Friendly Center branch in Greensboro. Very flexible hours.
Enjoyed Working for Belk
Customer Service Gift Wrap Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 11, 2016
Enjoyed working for Belk. Enjoyed working with fellow employees. Did not like working Thanksgiving Day. Enjoyed the customers. Never a dull moment.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Hours
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2016
long
being professional is very important
management is ok
co-workers was ok
hardest part of the job was working holidays and being away from your family
most enjoyable part was being in contact with some of the most sweetest and meanest customers, really showing you a different prospective on how you should treat others.
Pros
hour lunch and discounts was the awesome
Cons
no t being able to really work around school schedule
Belk Review
Cash Office Manager/Human Resource (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARJune 8, 2016
Working for the company Belk has been an amazing experience. Being apart of the Belk family has been an adventure with the customers and the clothing. Multitasking is a must when you work in retail. There is never a dull moment in retail and especially never slow during the Christmas season. Belk will always be one of my favorite places to work.
Pros
Hour Lunch, 15 min breaks, 20%/30% Discount
Cons
Seasonal hours extended
Good Company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 8, 2016
Working for Belk was a great experience in customer service and if I cuold work there again would be a honor. Had great co-workers..
not fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 7, 2016
Associates are not appreciated
Not much room for advancement
Their is a great lack of organization and professionalism.
Its a good job for a college student but that about it.
Temporary Sales Associate
Seasonal Sale's Associate (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAJune 6, 2016
Typically would be assisting customers or working the cash register
I learned a great deal of how to interact with people.
Management did their job well, they could be pushy at times but can't complain.
Co-workers were really nice
hardest part of the job was the black friday rush