Belk Employee Reviews

Found 1,663 reviews matching the search
Decent entry customer service job
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Americus, GAJanuary 20, 2017
I have been employed with Belk for over two years and even though there are a few moments and customers that make me not like my job, generally I love coming to work. My co-workers are amazing and the only gripe I have is that my management could use a bit of work ( some favoritism in the management). It would be hard to advance in my area unless you are apart of the inner crowd.Also as with retail the schedules are constantly changing so if having a set schedule is more your style I would suggest not applying.
Pros
Great environment, Great Co-workers, benefits, job culture, Flexible schedule
Cons
work/life balance is more work over life
Hard Work- Little Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I worked here for two years, and I can say that I've had better experiences. The management refuse to work with you on your schedule, there was favortism so bad some of my co-workers quit because of it. When I first began working my coworkers, my direct manager and my manager's manager tried to make me quit. It was pretty bad. The turn over rate is awful and the company doesn't even make the trouble worth while by giving raises! I would not, and have not recommended to anyone that they apply to work for this company.
Pros
During the holidays they buy lunch for the entire store, lunch breaks are ab hour
Cons
Company was sold so management is terrible
With Great Change comes Great Chaos
Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 7, 2016
I worked at Belk for around 18 months in the HR department. During my time there, the company was sold to a private equity firm and after a few months of relative quiet after the sale, significant organization and leadership changes started occurring. This lead to my role being eliminated and several other people moving to new jobs or out of the company.

Pros:
- People are very friendly and helpful - good working environment
- Good work life balance if you make it a priority for yourself
- Base salary is competitive, bonus and LTI were not

Cons:
- Entirely new leadership team in the last 6 months - complete C-Suite turnover and several leaders below are new as well
- Chaotic environment - people do not feel safe in their roles waiting for the next shoe to drop

Belk is a good company that has good people. In a year when the dust settles, it will likely be a good place to work again. For now while the company is under transition with the new leadership, it is a place of constant change and uncertainity.
Pros
Friendly people, family atmosphere (when I was there)
Cons
Organization changes are ongoing
Better pay than other retail locations
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCNovember 21, 2016
This was a good company to work for. there is a better chance of finding a FT job at this company than in other retail stores. The work here is hard but rewarding. Some of the management have unrealistic expectations of what can be done in a 6 hr. period. One dept. manager in particular is wonderful at praising employees in a condicending manner that is so annoying. And management tells employees about other employees and pits them against one another. Like I said, its mainly one person.
Overall this is a wonderful place to work. I loved it. Just keep your distance from that one mngr.
Pros
good pay, benefits, hours
Cons
mngrs play head games
What my passion/love is?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day at work is working with the general public all day no age limit set. I have learned more people skills, problem solving, and multi-tasking. I have no management skills but willing to learn. My workplace culture does not affect me. The hardest part of my job is not being able to solve a problem. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers and making them happy to where they are satisfied with my service.
Pros
Raises and Bounuses
Cons
No benefits
Some great customers but stressful, never enough
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Biloxi, MSSeptember 10, 2016
I've worked for over 5 years as a cosmetic counter manager for a major line, always doing well, exceeding numbers, building a great business, always have a great review, but it's never enough!! Horrible raises, constant pressure for more opening credit ( which is a MAIN focus), item locating product( also a main focus). Management can be a joke, some good some awful. Most people are always looking for a better job. They do silly games and say phrases they think will encourage you but it's a circus!! They do not care about anyone, your a number. Only thing matters is the sales and credit!
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Horrid Holliday hours, pay not good, solicitation of credit, very few employees scheduled.
Good people in Covington, LA branch, but is a drudgery.
Shoe Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Covington, LAJanuary 1, 2017
I love the people I work with. However, the work is tedious and tiring without remorse. I can barely afford to feed myself. I'm fortunate enough to have my home provided free of charge, or I would be homeless. It's a good job for a student looking for spending cash. As a career, I wouldn't recommend this job.
Pros
good benefits for full-time position
Cons
minimum wage pay and long hours
Fun environment to work in and never a dull moment.
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 3, 2016
Everyday learning something new at work. I learned how to schedule employee hours. Management could have been better. The hardest part of my job was scheduling all work hours within company budget and learning certain days and hours every employee could work. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to learn new task and being in a fun work environment and meeting new people.
Pros
store discounts good benefits
Cons
Having to wear dress clothes everyday
Bad Company
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 24, 2016
Management was a joke. Training was a joke. Very little opportunity for advancement. Open on Thanksgiving. Only closed on Easter and Christmas. High expectations with little guidance from management. Poor benefits package. Very little work/life balance. Horrible pay. All around bad place to work. The company cares about making money, and not about employee satisfaction.
Pros
Close to good restaurants. Hour long lunch breaks.
Cons
Too many to list.
No career growth, no concern to retain top talent
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2017
New management has no concern of retaining top talent or offering opportunities for career growth if you are less than a VP. Belk's culture has a funny & frustrating characteristic that the good people never stay. Even under Tim Belk's leadership, all the good people get fed up and leave and sadly, this hasn't changed with our new management. Unless you are a VP or higher, the current management treats you like nothing more than a pawn... but they remind us that we're getting better coffee at the office! (Fail). For those reasons and so much more, this top performer is on Indeed to move on and find an employer that appreciates top talent.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Management's treatment of associates, career growth
Belk was my most favorite job I ever had!!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSAugust 23, 2016
Belk is a wonderful place to work. The management is amazing and work with you no matter what you may need. My home caught fire and burned to the ground and they were so amazing to me during that time and not long after my dad had a heart attack and was in CCU for a while and they were so supportive. They truly cared about my family and home and helped me have the time off that I needed to take care of my family and home. Also when I needed more hours they got me all I needed. It was of course hard work most of the time but we always had fun and worked with a smile on our face. I met a lot of awesome friends there that were my co workers and the customers were so nice and friendly that I could not believe it.
Pros
were relaxed with break times as long as everything was covered and completed
Cons
never could get hired on full time to receive benefits
Customer Service/Management
LEAD SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GANovember 16, 2016
Working for Belk give you flexibility while working part time/full time. Has great benefits for full time associates.
Everyone works as a team.
Working at Belk you have the opportunity for move up from part time to full time easily.
As an associate you have the opportunity to request to be placed in the Manager Training program to move up within the company.
If you need to relocate you have the ability to transfer within stores.
Pros
Heathcare/denta/vision/401K
Cons
Not closed for most holidays.
company work you to death
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2017
I will never recommend Belk. As an associate if you don't make your sales goal by the end of the year instead of getting a raise you will get a pay cut. As far as management most of the time you work more then 16 hours a day
Pros
Belk don't believe in pros
Cons
Lost count of how many cons. If you work at Belk you will figure it out. Good luck
Flexible hours
Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 22, 2017
You can go in and set our availability day by day and even week to week. For the most part, all employees are super friendly with each other (cashiers can get a little cut throat). There are limited benefits for part time employees (dental & vision) which is a great help. Not only do you get 20% off, usually 1x a month there is a double employee discount. Big break room with vending machines, refrigerators and microwaves.
Cons
pt workers get zero hours in Jan./Feb.
Fun and Productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 24, 2016
Pros

I loved getting to help people. Their success and happiness was my reward, and it was something I really, really strived for. On the sales end, it was fun interacting with different people everyday. This is a decent place for an extrovert.

Cons

The raises are not realistic and the pay scale fluctuates. Hard work isn't always rewarded. Promises can be empty or misleading.
Greedy company coupled with incompetent management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAJuly 13, 2016
The best of the job is definitely the freedom that you have. Also, the employees are friendly... they just have a tendency to not pull their weight during their shifts. Management is a toss up. One second everything is great (usually just in time for when the big bosses are coming which they never actually do) but then other times (most of the time) the managers don't care about anything but running their mouths. The discount for employees is a joke and the way that the store manager allows the employees to be ridiculed just to honor the that the customer is right is just ridiculous.
Pros
Minimal supervision, adequate lunch break, the job is pretty easy
Cons
No real benefits, the pay sucks, bad work/life balance, management
Amazing Supervisors and co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCFebruary 18, 2017
Loved working with this Company. Merchandise was outstanding, benefits were generous and hours slipped by as we all worked hard.

Holidays were fun as well.
Pros
Benefits, co workers
Cons
LONG hours during Christmas . Hours were cut after holidays which were not sufficient to pay rent
Love my coworkers, company not so much
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 14, 2016
Like other reviews I've seen, company solely bases your review on credit applications and item locate. You can do nothing else but if you are getting credit, your fine. Never enough supplies or help in our department. They expect you to do the work of 3 people. Management is cold and threating. Job searching as this is written...7 years, the thrill is gone. All beaten down.
Benefits
Cons
Management style, never encouraged.
Not a bad to place to work. I need to relocate to Charlotte in order to be close to my family
Shoe Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 8, 2017
Its great company and they care about you like you family. Management is good and they show they care. I would tell anybody to apply, the benefits are okay, but you get insurance when they hire ypu. I love the 401K plan.
Pros
Feels like family
Cons
Need more hours
Good Company with lots of Good people
Regional Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 24, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Belk. I was on Operations side where there is little room for advancement. There is much more room on store side but It was a good company with good benefits and job security.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Belk. Our community is ready to answer.