Belk Employee Reviews

Found 1,656 reviews matching the search
Managerial problems.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXJanuary 28, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. When I was first hired, the management was partial to employees who were hired when the store was first opened. Where I was stationed, there were two employees who received the best hours to work (those hours were the busiest, so you could make your sales). To qualify for awards you had to make the sales goals. Even though I qualified on every level, I did not make the sales goals, therefore no award.
Loved my counter, couldn't stand the store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAFebruary 3, 2017
This is the first job I've ever worked for that had Very little to no training on floor and in the job position, they relied solely on the computer training even though I'd never held a position in that expertise before. Upper management needs to work on better communication and possibly being open to he rest of the teams ideas and opinions, it's painfully clear that none of the management is on the same page. There is rarely any coverage in areas causing the employees that are there two work 5x's harder. Overall, not a very supportive team.
Pros
Great job position, great clients
Cons
Scheduling, few hours, poor training
Lack Organization
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCJanuary 28, 2017
Belk's Policies are not to support the managerial team. It lacks alot of balance and authority to manage and maintain productive employees.A typical day was always off balance never knew what your day would be like with the inconsistency and high turnover rates.Management was unskilled, and lack the sense of responsibility, Most enjoyable part of the job was it was 3 miles from my home; it was convenient.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack Organization
Decent entry customer service job
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Americus, GAJanuary 20, 2017
I have been employed with Belk for over two years and even though there are a few moments and customers that make me not like my job, generally I love coming to work. My co-workers are amazing and the only gripe I have is that my management could use a bit of work ( some favoritism in the management). It would be hard to advance in my area unless you are apart of the inner crowd.Also as with retail the schedules are constantly changing so if having a set schedule is more your style I would suggest not applying.
Pros
Great environment, Great Co-workers, benefits, job culture, Flexible schedule
Cons
work/life balance is more work over life
Everyone is cool and nice
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MS 39157February 20, 2017
Its very sweet at belk everybody is cool nice speaks to you. They ask you how you are doing. All the mangers at my belk are cool cant speak for other belk stores . They make the schedule 3 weeks ahead that can be good for people who have a second job. They work around your schedule. When you work nine hour shifts you get an hour break plus two paid fifteen minute breaks
Pros
Free Catering on special days, Double Discount Days, 1 hour breaks on 9 hr shifts plus two 15 minute paid breaks
Cons
Short Hours
belks was a relaxed place to work. very fair company and working with upper management was a pleasure
Store Planner (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2017
worked on the planning and design of belk interior stores
enjoyed traveling to stores
increased knowledge of planning
working with senior merchandiser laying out store was great
typical day at work was reviewing job with team discussing schedule and status of all our projects, merchandise depts

working directly with the belks was a great experience and was very rewarding
Totally unorganized
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Jonesville, SCFebruary 13, 2017
Terrible management. Completely unorganized and way too many troubleshooting issues. No structure or motivational tools whatsoever. Major confusion between two different temp agencies that are not in anyway on the same page. No advancement opportunities available. Basically just putting bodies in place. Work is only seasonal. Huge amount of layoffs.
Pros
Great pay with lots of overtime during peak season
Cons
Absolutely no future and very stressful
A driven Human Resource Manager.
Division Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALFebruary 12, 2017
.A driven Human Resource Business Partner and Advisor reporting to the Division Human Resource Director managing the strategic
Day-to-day administration of HR for 7,000+ associates. Skilled in monitoring the pulse of the organization utilizing available systems including scorecards, reports and other key measures to deliver people strategies that support business needs while working closely with the HR Director and store teams to create workable solutions designed to influence and sustain high levels of associate engagement and productivity.
An enjoyable place to work
OTA (Current Employee) –  Brooksville, FLJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day at work consists of loading and unloading trucks, making cardboard bails, and organizing the stockroom. Helping customers on the sales floor and making price changes in accordance with the sales ad are routine. I've learned quite a bit since working for Belk and also brought some of my previous knowledge in retail to the table. The workplace culture is a bit laid back but everyone is very friendly and cooperative. The hardest part of the job is the early shifts which start at 5 or 6 am most days.
The most enjoyable part of this position is working with friendly co-workers and knowing my daily tasks each day.
Pros
Nice compliments from co-workers.
Cons
Not compensated very well and hours are very few.
What my passion/love is?
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day at work is working with the general public all day no age limit set. I have learned more people skills, problem solving, and multi-tasking. I have no management skills but willing to learn. My workplace culture does not affect me. The hardest part of my job is not being able to solve a problem. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers and making them happy to where they are satisfied with my service.
Pros
Raises and Bounuses
Cons
No benefits
customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 19, 2017
Developed stellar customer service skills by addressing the need of each and every customer that I interacted with on a daily basis
Maintained a list of dedicated customers so that I could notify them about sales and other upcoming events
Completed all assigned tasks as directed and/or instructed by the retail sales manager
Worked with a cohesive team of retail professionals who met the diverse needs of our customer base
Flexible hours
Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJanuary 22, 2017
You can go in and set our availability day by day and even week to week. For the most part, all employees are super friendly with each other (cashiers can get a little cut throat). There are limited benefits for part time employees (dental & vision) which is a great help. Not only do you get 20% off, usually 1x a month there is a double employee discount. Big break room with vending machines, refrigerators and microwaves.
Cons
pt workers get zero hours in Jan./Feb.
Hard Work- Little Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 12, 2017
I worked here for two years, and I can say that I've had better experiences. The management refuse to work with you on your schedule, there was favortism so bad some of my co-workers quit because of it. When I first began working my coworkers, my direct manager and my manager's manager tried to make me quit. It was pretty bad. The turn over rate is awful and the company doesn't even make the trouble worth while by giving raises! I would not, and have not recommended to anyone that they apply to work for this company.
Pros
During the holidays they buy lunch for the entire store, lunch breaks are ab hour
Cons
Company was sold so management is terrible
If you don't mind working your vacation around the store needs its a great place to work.
COUNTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 4, 2017
Creating a great team and teaching them that great customer service and Building every day clients is number 1. It's all about sales and finding ways to acomplish your goals through events,etc. Also understanding as a manager that you can't please everyone when it come to making the schedule. Lead by example. Stocking,flexibility and inventory just to name a few is also part of the job. Multi tasking is very important In Retail. Overall a great experience!
Pros
Incentives for getting customers to purchase store credit card.
Cons
sales count while on vacation, personal day or sick. Reviews are based on sales, credit card sale, item locator, phone and email capture.
No career growth, no concern to retain top talent
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2017
New management has no concern of retaining top talent or offering opportunities for career growth if you are less than a VP. Belk's culture has a funny & frustrating characteristic that the good people never stay. Even under Tim Belk's leadership, all the good people get fed up and leave and sadly, this hasn't changed with our new management. Unless you are a VP or higher, the current management treats you like nothing more than a pawn... but they remind us that we're getting better coffee at the office! (Fail). For those reasons and so much more, this top performer is on Indeed to move on and find an employer that appreciates top talent.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Management's treatment of associates, career growth
Easy
Operations (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXDecember 26, 2016
It was easy to work, a very basic job. Would start at 5 am and immediately start unloading the truck. Co-workers were easy to get along with, management was good until the new manager came then everything became stressful. Hardest part was unloading and stacking boxes on racks to go out to departments because we would run out of room or boxes would topple over.
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks, sometimes being alone to get your job done
Cons
Health of operation staff, boxes with substances on them
Belk
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1581 rio rd charlottesville, VAJanuary 13, 2017
A typical work day at belk was busy sometimes slow, depending on what shift you worked. I learned a lot about how to open credit cards and earn some points. My coworkers were asweome. Some had their moments. The hardest part about the job was when the customers got irritated but the most enjoyable part of the job was the team work and the positivity i received for other employees even if it wasn't from the managers, but the employees!!
The my coworkers were very nice friendly people
Cashier/Sales Associate temporary (Former Employee) –  Farmville, VAJanuary 6, 2017
The my coworkers were very nice friendly people typical day was I got there at 4:30 in the morning we unload the trucks put stock out on the floor tagged and price every item put them in their sections then when I was done with that a clean clean the whole store beverages included then change clothes and got ready for the sales floor
Pros
Christmas holidays we got lunches
Loss Prevention is Unorganized and Management is clueless
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  West Town Mall Knoxville, TennesseeDecember 14, 2016
Starting pay isn't much more than a regular sales associate but they expect you to take on a lot more responsibility. The City Manager was new and tried to micromanage everyone. The regional isn't much better and both were in way over their heads. They just react to everything and have no plan in place. Just about everyone has quit and they don't know how to keep employees. Bad experience for me overall.
Pros
Can't think of any other than the 20% Employee Discount
Cons
Managers are clueless, low pay, Obamacare
Not very well known
Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 10, 2017
Think of your average department store but with a tinge more class.

Worked in only one department and was never trained or worked in other departments

Management individuals had no gumption or any sense of urgency

Co-workers had a big "all about me" attitude and rarely helped out others. Somewhat of an unhealthy competitive environment.

Hardest part hands down was opening credit as obligated to.