Bell Helicopter Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Bell did not provide proper training when BSM was implemented. However the lack of training did promote the need for all to share information. This environment enabled those who really wanted to understand the new Business Systems the avenue to learn as much as they could from other co-workers in different departments. Co-workers were willing to share information and I was more than happy to share information I had knowledge of.
The hardest part of the Job was no process or procedure for jobs that BSM forgot to include upon implementation. It seemed as no one including management knew how to close the gaps.
The most enjoyable part of the job was analyzing the gaps and presenting proposals on how to close gaps.
Pros
Management allows individuals to ask question and learn from co-workers
Cons
No Job security
Great job, culture leaves something to be desired.
Dynamic Gearbox Assembler (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 2, 2015
While I enjoyed the actual work and duties I had at Bell, the union culture leaves quite a bit to be desired. Work ethic cannot be rewarded because of seniority, and a self motivated individual is often frowned upon by more senior co-workers. The Management that I dealt with was excellent though, and did their best with what they had. Senior leadership leaves something to be desired, as they were distant and didn't always seem to understand what was going on. Pay and benefits were excellent, but I could have justified raises to my salary based on my work, no need for the union.
Pros
Rewarding work, excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Union
Ready to leave
Manager III (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 10, 2016
Just tired of the long hours, limited opportunity for promotion, and good-old-boys club. Highly political environment in a small company and if you aren't in the club, then you have no chance of moving up.
great place to work
NC Programming Engineer (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 3, 2016
love to work at Bell again.
Great Work environment and the equipment you need to perform your job.
• Programmed NC machine centers that produced new and legacy military/civilian products from released or preliminary drawings. Programmed, modeled and vericut using CATIA v5/v6 and Unigraphics. Edit and create ICAM and custom post-processing agents for multi-axis machine centers. Programmed lathes, mills (vertical and horizontal), mill-turn centers with axis from 2.5 to 6 axis. I have extensive modeling, contouring, surfacing from solid to wireframe. Worked with the operators until 1st part was bought off from quality. Worked with titanium, Magnesium,1029 hot-rolled hardened steel, 4300 series with up to 52HRc, maraging steel, D4 and 300 series stainless steels.
Pros
Great technical support
Company is in a substatial transition period
Staff Engineer - Airworthiness & Civil Cert. (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Company is in a substantial transition period. New CEO recently established. Workforce is being reduced and hiring personnel with lesser experience. Recovery will take some time.
Great benefits
General Machinist (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 2, 2016
Bell is a great place to work. There are many thing that can be learned while you are there. I really enjoyed working there. Bell had given me a good living for the last 10 years. I can not cast stones at an employer that has given me the opportunity to do many things in life. I made good money while I was employed there and because of this I was able to do things that would not of been possible other wise. Thank You Bell Helicopter.
Pros
Paid amount per hour
Cons
No job security
Felt used after giving so much to the company then got laid off
Mfg Resource Analyst - Prod Control (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJanuary 24, 2016
I learned a lot during my time at Bell, my co-workers were (for the most part) awesome, and the pay was great.

Unfortunately that's where the 'Pros' end. I had a new manager and supervisor every year and they all had their way of doing things. Which resulted in a lot of unnecessary work (completing a task and then having to redo the task because there wasn't enough direction given on how they wanted the information presented)

At one point we were asked to work every day, seven days a week, for months, to help with the unions slow down. Additionally, we were asked to put any school/classes on hold so we could work everyday, only to get laid off for lack of degree!
Pros
Learned a lot, great co-workers, and the pay was great
Cons
Lack of stability within the company
Great place to work, took a lot of pride in this job
Router Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 17, 2016
I loved working at Bell Helicopter, building components for helicopters that our military men and women used was a huge point of pride for me.

I took great care each day in guaranteeing the products I made were as accurate and high quality as possible.

The team was very tight knit and helpful.
Pros
Great pay, benefits and work enviornment
Cons
Seniority based layoff program
Bell has good benefits and pays very well. Management should listen more to the employees
Procurement Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 14, 2016
Always issues and stressful environment. Management directly above Procurement are great to work with. Higher Management doesn't seem to want to be bothered. This is one of the most stressful jobs I have worked.
Pros
10 day paid shutdown during Christmas break
Cons
Management needs to listen more
Aerospace and Defense
Material Sorter (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXFebruary 6, 2016
Good company to work for. Union base company. Really liked working there, always a challenge every day, but union company . So last hired , first one fired .
Union based aerospace company
Gear Cut/Grind (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 2, 2015
My job at Bell Helicopter was to set up, program, and operate gear cut/grind machines. Work with engineering to create new programs for developmental parts and management to adhere to schedules and deadlines.
Management was great when we worked with management that had experience in machining work and understood the processes that we dealt with on a daily basis.
Working in a union based shop had its ups and downs. Some workers cared deeply for the job and trade while others used the union as a crutch.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with management being pressured to be hard on union workers.
The most enjoyable part of my job, though we were a production company, was being able to use my skills to develop new programs and help with processes of new parts.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Union
Tech IV (Former Employee) –  Plant 1October 11, 2015
..Great place to work. Great people and room for advancement.I learned many needed skill for working in the Aerospace Industry.
Pros
Great place to work. Good people and benefits. Leader in Aerospace.
Cons
Many layoffs
Positive workforce with challenging work
Supervisor, SAP Group (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 19, 2016
The best part of Bell Helicopter were my coworkers. The staff was very committed and knowledgable. However, I found the work to be in silos so it was very hard to move from one business unit to another. I had spent nine years in cost accounting in different roles and finally reached a point where I needed a change to advance in my career. Therefore, I decided I needed to leave Bell in order to gain a broader variety of experience.

The best part of working at Bell was working with other subject matter experts to address issues. This experience broadened my understanding of the business and systems.

The hardest thing I had to do at Bell was stay inside my silo, or not get overly involved in helping others fix problems in their business units. Having worked in cost accounting so long, I found enjoyment in educating others in how the costing system worked and how they could use system tools the implementation team developed to help these business users do their job more proactively.

On a typical day, I usually addressed auditors or supported production business units understand the system. Bell undergoes DCMA and DCAA governmental audits in addition to internal and external audits from the big four accounting firms. As such, I spent at least some time every day prepping for an audit or answering specific audit questions. Outside of audits, I spent the remainder of my time educating various business representatives on how costing in SAP works. I wrote documentation on system tools program managements could use to proactively identify cost issues and explain what
  more... the system is telling them. This information is useful in identifying issues or at least explain variances. I gained much insight into audit requirements and reasoning as well as program management during this time.

One other major skill I gained at Bell worth mentioning is an understanding of how SAP works. I had to understand how the different SAP modules (FI, CO, MM, and SD) work together and recognize certain processes that do not work well or translate well into one of the other modules. Examples of this include inter-company transfers and material repair work. These processes have somewhat intuitive process steps in the MM or SD modules that do not translate well into FI. Additionally, I gained a great appreciation for the CO module when writing the business rules for business object creation and maintenance. This process proved as an example where errors in the CO module can create significant problems in FI.

It was a difficult decision to leave Bell, but in the end I felt I was growing stagnant and felt I could make more of a difference to my employer if I was employed somewhere else.
Good Company
Sr. Staff Industrial Engineer / Chief, I. E. Core (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 27, 2016
It is a good company. There is a feeling of "Bell Family". I worked there for 28 years. If it weren't for Sequestration Cuts, I would still be working there.
Benefits
Cons
Declining Business
Great place to work.
Assembler Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 29, 2015
Really enjoyed working at Bell. Great work environment, they provide great training, co-workers were really cool people. Management was down to earth and respect their employees.
Pros
4/10 schedule
Cons
Starting pay without experience
decent place to work.
material bonder / plastic former (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Was a good place to work. most co-workers were helpful.
management was satisfactory. hardest part was adjusting to shift changes
Pros
Inside work
Cons
not to stable leadership at times.
10 hour days drilling composite and metal parts, noisy and dirty
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 29, 2016
No room for advancement without a 4 year degree, being an aviation job cannot be considered a stable job, lots of layoffs, and parts shortages but they never stopped pushing employees over budget and schedule. Just want to try something different.
Pros
fair pay
Cons
dirty hard work
Good Company
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 11, 2015
My position is a remotely based sales manager position. Bell Helicopter's benefits and corporate culture seem to be very good (sometimes hard to tell since I am remote). They have a very generous benefits including tuition assistance. The only reason I rated job security with only 2 stars is the frequent threat of layoffs, but most of those are in the manufacturing realm.
Benefits
Cons
Difficult industry for job security
Great salary
Gear Box Assembler (Current Employee) –  Grand Parie TXMay 2, 2015
Since day one, I was told that my job security at Bell was no that secure seven years later I am still there. The job it self is great but the lacks overall professionalism from workers that have been there for a while. Management is fair but does have its flaws. Overall I enjoyed my time at Bell. The culture needs a total overhaul.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Enjoyed my job, co-workers, stessful at times but always worked through any problems.
INSPECTOR, MACHINED PARTS (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXJuly 23, 2015
Was a great place to work, first line supervision trusted me to take care of any problems, I would see my supervisor only when he needed my help. Upper management was clueless as to the problems on the production floor, seemed all they cared about was bottom line getting product out the door, not quality, and the shareholders profits.
Pros
wages, benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bell Helicopter. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8