Bell Nursery Employee Reviews

Intresting and busy.
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCNovember 21, 2017
This position follows a daily routine which will keep you busy but enough variables to make it fun. I really enjoyed the countless opportunities to learn about horticulture and landscaping. I also gained experience conducting inventories and receiving product. It really added to my skill set. The management was pretty good. The hardest part of the job was managing my time and workflow between tasks and customer interaction. You''ll become quite knowledgeable on horticulture and what shopper doesn't want an expert's opinion?
Pros
Fun, intresting, expand skill set
Cons
Seasonal positions, part time
Great job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Milford, OHNovember 7, 2017
Very fast pace and stressful all in one. I enjoyed the job working with all the flowers and meeting new people. Especially enjoyed helping customers and learning new things about plants and flowers.
Pros
working with people and flowers
Cons
lack of hours.
Rewarding place to work. Helping customers with their garden needs & returning to tell their success.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDOctober 29, 2017
A typical day was checking in merchandise, make the area visually pleasing, water if necessary, place new product out and place signage accordingly. The most enjoyable part of the job was the beautiful display and customers complimenting the way the plants were taken care of. They could tell I loved my job.
Pros
Kept busy
Cons
Some carts could be heavy to push.
Great management
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHOctober 15, 2017
The overall work is easy, just follow the orders and you will get through the day pretty easy, The hardest part of the job is the bending, The straining on your back, But after a week you'll get used to it
Fast Paced
Plant Vendor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 5, 2017
A job where one has to always be moving and tending to the plants. They have high expectations, they always need everything in place. It requires a lot of team effort.
Pros
Plants.
Cons
High heat because of the summer.
bad management
Sales Merchandiser-Stock tables and displays (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCAugust 19, 2017
when i was working for this company there was bad management. I worked there two seasons and had bad experiences.the management would favor others and bad talk.
its pretty fun
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 12, 2017
The job itself is loads of fun- if you dont mind working outdoors. Ive learned a lot and enjoy the atmosphere greatly. I wish the company cared a bit more about the environment. They do try in some aspects (tries to avoid neonicotinoids), but dont try at all in others (we use A LOT of plastic). Otherwise, relaxing environment, fun and consistent work, a really fun job for someone with little experience
Pros
flexible schedule, pleasant environment
Cons
seasonal, throwing away plants
You were pretty much on your own
Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHAugust 10, 2017
I work for this place for three seasons in the first two seasons are really good I worked all the way from March till October but the last season I was cut short by two months it wasn't all that bad if you like being on your own you might see the boss Once a week if that
Pros
You're on your own
Cons
Not that much guidance
Cultural Diversity
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 8, 2017
Very interesting place with diverse cultures. People from all over the world. Its fun to meet, work and play with employees and learn from teammates each day. Very intensive work area, with a lot of interesting details to take care of and lots of customers to talk to makes you look like a congressman. It's very rewarding helping customers and this unique experience can only be achieved at BELL NURSERY. Its a good place for beginners, professionals and students because of flexible working schedules.
Pros
Excellent work place, Minimum wage for a starter is encouraging, Possibilities to work at different location especially for someone who is outgoing.
Cons
fluctuating hours especially when in-store traffic is slow.
good part time job
Merchandiser/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  VAJuly 23, 2017
get to be outdoors, work with plants, friendly coworkers, relaxed environment, hardest part getting home depot to water plants, plenty of hours early in the season
Incredibly long hours during peak season.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDJuly 20, 2017
It is a good company, however since the vast majority of sales are concentrated into 3 - 4 months, it is very taxing physically and did not allow for any work life balance. I was a salaried person at the time which changed shortly after I left.
Five Years with Bell
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  ElkMay 26, 2017
Experience was overall great, as I worked there for half a decade. Some questionable decisions from upper management, but the job is what you make of it. Long hours in the Spring and Fall, short in the summer and winter.
Great Co-workers - Horrible Managment
Distribution Picker (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 6, 2017
Co-workers are great to work with for the most part. When the work is fairly given out it is not bad. There are plenty of hour during the busy season (spring and summer). There are a lot of family members that work there and they are permitted to talk down to employees. The warehouse manager John is horrible he talks down to employees, demeans them in front of other employees, and feels that such behavior is acceptable. Even when you try and go to upper management they do nothing. If an employee becomes the "chosen one" they are given the most difficult work and treated very poorly regardless of how hard they work. If the warehouse manager was replaced this would be a great place to work for seasonal work.
Pros
Co-workers and hours
Fun Place to Work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 3, 2017
Fun place to work that always keeps you on your feet. Great people to work with. Learned a lot about horticulture. Hardest part was the hot days, but overall great!
Bell Nursery
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Montgomery County, PAFebruary 2, 2017
working outdoors in the springtime when the flowers just come up is a dream job for me...customer coming around all in good moods and meeting new people. I didn't get hired back. Bell is a good temporary place to work
Pros
meeting interesting people that want help with their Gardens
Cons
way too many people at one time wanting my attention with help with their Gardens
Decent Summer Job
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 23, 2017
While not a horrible place to work by any means, there is a bit of a learning curve involved. Most people are hired for seasonal spots, usually meaning from March or April through maybe October.

There is a lot of lifting involved, as plants arrive on 5-foot tall rolling racks. Some of the larger pots may weigh close to 40 pounds.

The pay isn't the best, but good enough for a supplemental source of income or a first job environment.

Management varied in terms of their involvement. Some days they were hands-off, letting you tidy up the Garden Center on your own. Other days, like when new product arrived, the supervisors would be right there with you, getting their hands dirty and moving plants.

Possibly the worst thing was the lack of a set schedule. Sometimes I had to call my supervisor and ask what days I needed to come to work the next week.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No set schedule
OK place to work if you're only looking for a seasonal job
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 7, 2016
Full-time picker/packer in distribution warehouse. As far as a job goes, the work was not difficult and all of the pickers and drivers were enjoyable people to work with. That said, management and year-round workflow were nightmares. The busy season (spring and summer) there were plenty of hours to be had and overtime was largely encouraged. During the off season, I'm not even really sure how this place kept the lights on. I would not recommend making this your full-time, year-round job. To put it nicely, the warehouse manager was an irritating person to work for. Very uneven distribution of duties among the workers. Drama and childlike behavior was rampant. The two corporate staff that were situated in their office were non-existant and unresponsive to employee complaints.
Pros
Free lunches on occasion, good benefits package
Cons
Management in all its forms, juvenile behavior from superiors
Bell Nursery
REGINONAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 28, 2016
Working for this company was like working in a family environment. The teams you worked with were very helpful in all instances. You had great support in all you did, day in and day out. A good company to work for.
Pros
flexible, outdoor work
Cons
pay rate
working in heat of day all day every day
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sudlersville, MD 21668July 21, 2016
bell nursery is a good job for anybody who is in need of an easy job. you work out in the sun but most duties are easy
seasonal
SEASONAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 17, 2016
A typical day at work was serving customers, laying out merchandise, and pushing carts full of product out to the sales floor.

I learned a lot about plants

Management was alright. She didnt like to communicate, she was childish

my coworkers were all immature

The hardest part of the job was the insecurity of it. ( seaonal)

the most enjoyable part of the job was working with plants outside.
Pros
sunshine and plants
Cons
immature management and coworkers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bell Nursery. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7