Bell Nursery Employee Reviews

OK place to work if you're only looking for a seasonal job
Picker (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEDecember 7, 2016
Full-time picker/packer in distribution warehouse. As far as a job goes, the work was not difficult and all of the pickers and drivers were enjoyable people to work with. That said, management and year-round workflow were nightmares. The busy season (spring and summer) there were plenty of hours to be had and overtime was largely encouraged. During the off season, I'm not even really sure how this place kept the lights on. I would not recommend making this your full-time, year-round job. To put it nicely, the warehouse manager was an irritating person to work for. Very uneven distribution of duties among the workers. Drama and childlike behavior was rampant. The two corporate staff that were situated in their office were non-existant and unresponsive to employee complaints.
Pros
Free lunches on occasion, good benefits package
Cons
Management in all its forms, juvenile behavior from superiors
Decent Summer Job
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 23, 2017
While not a horrible place to work by any means, there is a bit of a learning curve involved. Most people are hired for seasonal spots, usually meaning from March or April through maybe October.

There is a lot of lifting involved, as plants arrive on 5-foot tall rolling racks. Some of the larger pots may weigh close to 40 pounds.

The pay isn't the best, but good enough for a supplemental source of income or a first job environment.

Management varied in terms of their involvement. Some days they were hands-off, letting you tidy up the Garden Center on your own. Other days, like when new product arrived, the supervisors would be right there with you, getting their hands dirty and moving plants.

Possibly the worst thing was the lack of a set schedule. Sometimes I had to call my supervisor and ask what days I needed to come to work the next week.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
No set schedule
Fun Place to Work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 3, 2017
Fun place to work that always keeps you on your feet. Great people to work with. Learned a lot about horticulture. Hardest part was the hot days, but overall great!
Bell Nursery
REGINONAL MERCHANDISING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 28, 2016
Working for this company was like working in a family environment. The teams you worked with were very helpful in all instances. You had great support in all you did, day in and day out. A good company to work for.
Pros
flexible, outdoor work
Cons
pay rate
a fun place to work 90% of your day is spent outside
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDNovember 15, 2013
maintaining and merchandising plants,accepting deliveries,answering customer questions regarding plants,trees,shrubs...I learned everything there is to know about plant,shrub and tree care,certain diseases they can get and how to take care of them..The hardest part of my job was working outside in the summer on really hot days,really long hours,not knowing when my day will end..I really enjoyed the flexiability of my schedule and being able to make important decisions on my own..
Pros
salary manager, company picnics, monetary contests
Cons
no set break/lunch, working outside on really hot days and really cold days
Really great company
Plant Vendor (Current Employee) –  Corporate office in MarylandAugust 4, 2014
Bell is a great company in my opinion. The only issue is that this is a seasonal position and I do not foresee any chance for advancement or benefits. My position is physical but rewarding. Stocking plants exclusively for Home Depot daily and one on one interaction with customers is satisfying. The hours are not set and as the season winds down the hours are unpredictable as well as the weather being a hen-durance to a possible full day of work. My supervisor and co-workers are exceptional.
Pros
Nice people and management
Cons
Low pay, no benefits and no foreseeable promotional opportunities.
seasonal
SEASONAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 17, 2016
A typical day at work was serving customers, laying out merchandise, and pushing carts full of product out to the sales floor.

I learned a lot about plants

Management was alright. She didnt like to communicate, she was childish

my coworkers were all immature

The hardest part of the job was the insecurity of it. ( seaonal)

the most enjoyable part of the job was working with plants outside.
Pros
sunshine and plants
Cons
immature management and coworkers
Don't look to be promoted from within
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Reisterstown, MDMarch 21, 2016
Poor quality management on all levels. The best part is working with the Home Depot associates.

I attended several meetings discussing associate engagement and how to create a positive work environment. Unfortunately, follow through and accountability on the management level, is non existent.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
for some, working outside in all conditions. Not a job for the lazy person!
working in heat of day all day every day
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sudlersville, MD 21668July 21, 2016
bell nursery is a good job for anybody who is in need of an easy job. you work out in the sun but most duties are easy
Very enjoyable work place, fast paced,good fun loving poeple
Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2015
I loved my job working for this company there was always something to do, plenty of room for advancement , the people who run the company are absolutely wonderful they really get to know you on a personal level but also get straight to business when its time for that, the only thing I didn't like about the job was the weather at times and the bugs but I quickly got over that, the wide diversity of customers was really cool to and all the question they would ask at times they would be the ones teaching me more about my products then I thought I knew. all around bell nursery is an amazing employer
Pros
free lunches at times, comfortable enviroment
Cons
weather and bugs
Hard work, long hours, but fair compensation for salaried employee
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJanuary 13, 2014
As a salaried employee I was expected to work 6 days per week from March thru June (peak season). That never ended until Dec. Often worked 10-12 hour days in the heat of the season, and picked up the slack when seasonal employee hours were cut drastically. Despite giving lip service to developing employees and rewarding those that were A+ players a massive layoff fired many middle managers that had been with the company for many years and had shown great committment and loyalty. Not sure where this company is headed but I would be hesitant to get on that boat again if I was looking for a career as I was when I started.
Pros
Great relationships with Home Depot and other Bell employees
Cons
No real committment to employees and no real reward for those that go above and beyond.
Fun work place with good people
Vendor at Towson Home Depot (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 17, 2015
A typical work day involves putting out product, organizing and straightening the product on tables, and answering customer questions. I have learned better organization skills, and better customer interaction techniques. Management is very good, and are very helpful. My coworkers are interesting and very amiable. The hardest part of the job is the heat, being outside and doing physical labor in the sometimes extreme weather. The best parts of the job are the people, the constant motion of the job, and the flexibility of the hours.
Not In Ohio!
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2013
I made the mistake of working for Bell in Ohio. After many years as a professional in the Green Industry I can tell you that the management practices in the Ohio market are poor at best. Stores are not supplied on the basis of what each store needs but on how much of the greenhouse ranges in Springfield need to be cleared out...so we often got racks and racks of product that no one wanted.

There is little, if any, cooperation with the supposed Home Depot "partners" in many of the stores.

Plant quality is subpar. It was not uncommon to receive plants with disease or pest issues. At Bell Ohio they either do not know the law regarding such issues...or they simply do not care whether they get inspected by the Ohio Department of Agriculture or not. It is also not uncommon to have annuals shipped which are actually marked as "perennials".

If you do not care about being a plant professional and only want a part-time job watering plants for a few months this may work for you. But if you care about plants, customers, and quality Bell Ohio will be a disappointment, at best.
Pros
you do receive a paycheck
Cons
too many to list them all. they need a major change in management!
Horrible company to work for
supervisor (Former Employee) –  paMarch 8, 2013
You get little training. The manager does not care if there is room for the tons of plants that come in on a daily basis and just runs in like a maniac while she is visiting stores and screaming you for not putting the plants in proper sections. Well you find out much later that you are supposed to be destroying and throwing away perfect healthy plants just so she looks good by her manager and gets them out. some stores provide such little space for all of the hundreds of flowers. The manager does not care. And then leaves. And you are stuck with trying to figure it out on your own. I also find it very sad that this wasteful company does not use the perfect healthy flowers to do community service or donate them to places that could do so much good for people. Do not work for them! I also was fired for a small disability I had shared with my manager. She took me in the back room like a high school student and raged on at me flinging the exact words that I shared about me disability like she was some evil person off of the streets trying to make fun of me. I could have sued them and still might pursue it. I got fired for a disability.
WELL surprise, surprise...this is a fortune 500 company, really
Truck Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 21, 2014
Sooooooooo un-organized that your child could do better planning. SAFETY is the last thing on their mind, just get the items on the truck, to the stores and back here fast as possible to get the truck fueled prior to the next shift.(average truck goes 3-4 hours away for 1 trip) On the daily, walk in to 35-40 trips to deliver with 6-7 drivers on hand, 8-10 hour shift. Bring your own lunch, outdated items in the fridge date back to 7 months and when asked to clean it out for them, "NO, WE MIGHT NEED A SNACK LATER AND SOMEONE MIGHT GO LOOKING FOR IT LATER." WOW...REALLY!
Pros
get to meet new faces on the regular, never expect to be full time
Cons
just be there, no one watches over your shoulder, work will be finished by the next shift...supervisor
good job during season
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDSeptember 15, 2013
A typical day would be organizing the store getting new product in and old product out, and water the product.
I learned basic green house and garden knowledge such as what is necessary sun light and watering for certain plants.
Management was very hands on with trianing process.
Co-workers pulled their own weight.
this job was very easy and not difficult in any way.
Pros
not a difficult job
Cons
season is to short
customer service with detailed knowledge of product
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  timonium mdAugust 14, 2014
Exciting fast paced work environment, Customer service as well as interacting with home store employees respectfully. Bell provides live goods to Home Depot stores. Duties included ordering and receiving product as well as merchandising and maintaining product to meet customer needs. Gaining and exchanging customer needs to learn and teach new employees as well as home depot partners.
Pros
customer interaction, outdoor and indoor duties to maintain live good products
Cons
Poor weather conditions and obtaining help with watering, minimal cons
Very productive work place
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDAugust 29, 2012
Very fun place to work if you like working outisde. Management is alright buy keep things in the dark. Love working along side the home depot.
Pros
being retail you never work nights, get atleast 1 weekend day off aweek
Cons
little to no breaks, the summer heat, never know if you will have a job during the summer
Seasonal Type job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  newark delaware 19711September 8, 2015
This job offered tons of hours during the warmer season. but dies off during colder times. When I worked there we were on call so it was extremely annoying trying to balance life and work.
Pros
overtime
Cons
no scheduel
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Mid atlanticMarch 16, 2013
Very good company to work for. Upper management
Cares about their people. Some of the most passionate
People work in the stores at the store level. These people
In the stores deserve more recognition for their wonderful
Work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bell Nursery. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7