BELL NURSERY Employee Reviews in United States

Seasonal Type job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  newark delaware 19711September 8, 2015
This job offered tons of hours during the warmer season. but dies off during colder times. When I worked there we were on call so it was extremely annoying trying to balance life and work.
Pros
overtime
Cons
no scheduel
Very enjoyable work place, fast paced,good fun loving poeple
Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 1, 2015
I loved my job working for this company there was always something to do, plenty of room for advancement , the people who run the company are absolutely wonderful they really get to know you on a personal level but also get straight to business when its time for that, the only thing I didn't like about the job was the weather at times and the bugs but I quickly got over that, the wide diversity of customers was really cool to and all the question they would ask at times they would be the ones teaching me more about my products then I thought I knew. all around bell nursery is an amazing employer
Pros
free lunches at times, comfortable enviroment
Cons
weather and bugs
Fun work place with good people
Vendor at Towson Home Depot (Current Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 17, 2015
A typical work day involves putting out product, organizing and straightening the product on tables, and answering customer questions. I have learned better organization skills, and better customer interaction techniques. Management is very good, and are very helpful. My coworkers are interesting and very amiable. The hardest part of the job is the heat, being outside and doing physical labor in the sometimes extreme weather. The best parts of the job are the people, the constant motion of the job, and the flexibility of the hours.
Bell
Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJuly 10, 2015
Seasonal, but they will lie to you and say that they will be keeping people around till September, just to find yourself without a job in when middle of June. While there you'll make all the time you want. I've walked away with $1,000 checks before.
Worked out of Home Depot.
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Falsom, PAOctober 10, 2014
Setting up plant displays, refilling tables, helping customers, cleaning up the plants, and watering plants.

I learned about different plants, and how to take care of them.
Enjoyable work place
Store Supervisor/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 2, 2014
I love working with plants and learning the biology of life. Great company to work with.
Pros
full time hours
Cons
getting dirty
Awesome Company
Supervisor/Vendor (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MD.August 29, 2014
Love working @ Bell, I had fun, and got my workload completed and had no issues!
Pros
shorter hours in the winter
Cons
no cons
customer service with detailed knowledge of product
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  timonium mdAugust 14, 2014
Exciting fast paced work environment, Customer service as well as interacting with home store employees respectfully. Bell provides live goods to Home Depot stores. Duties included ordering and receiving product as well as merchandising and maintaining product to meet customer needs. Gaining and exchanging customer needs to learn and teach new employees as well as home depot partners.
Pros
customer interaction, outdoor and indoor duties to maintain live good products
Cons
poor weather conditions and obtaining help with watering, minimal cons
Really great company
Plant Vendor (Current Employee) –  Corporate office in MarylandAugust 4, 2014
Bell is a great company in my opinion. The only issue is that this is a seasonal position and I do not foresee any chance for advancement or benefits. My position is physical but rewarding. Stocking plants exclusively for Home Depot daily and one on one interaction with customers is satisfying. The hours are not set and as the season winds down the hours are unpredictable as well as the weather being a hen-durance to a possible full day of work. My supervisor and co-workers are exceptional.
Pros
nice people and management
Cons
low pay, no benefits and no foreseeable promotional opportunities.
WELL surprise, surprise...this is a fortune 500 company, really
Truck Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJuly 21, 2014
Sooooooooo un-organized that your child could do better planning. SAFETY is the last thing on their mind, just get the items on the truck, to the stores and back here fast as possible to get the truck fueled prior to the next shift.(average truck goes 3-4 hours away for 1 trip) On the daily, walk in to 35-40 trips to deliver with 6-7 drivers on hand, 8-10 hour shift. Bring your own lunch, outdated items in the fridge date back to 7 months and when asked to clean it out for them, "NO, WE MIGHT NEED A SNACK LATER AND SOMEONE MIGHT GO LOOKING FOR IT LATER." WOW...REALLY!
Pros
get to meet new faces on the regular, never expect to be full time
Cons
just be there, no one watches over your shoulder, work will be finished by the next shift...supervisor
Great work environment
LEAD MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 14, 2014
The work environment was fun and also challenging at times. My co-workers were of the best to work with. The hardest part of the job was the fast pace and time constraints put forth by limited scheduling. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with plants.
Pros
working outside
Cons
seasonal work
Hard work, long hours, but fair compensation for salaried employee
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJanuary 13, 2014
As a salaried employee I was expected to work 6 days per week from March thru June (peak season). That never ended until Dec. Often worked 10-12 hour days in the heat of the season, and picked up the slack when seasonal employee hours were cut drastically. Despite giving lip service to developing employees and rewarding those that were A+ players a massive layoff fired many middle managers that had been with the company for many years and had shown great committment and loyalty. Not sure where this company is headed but I would be hesitant to get on that boat again if I was looking for a career as I was when I started.
Pros
great relationships with home depot and other bell employees
Cons
no real committment to employees and no real reward for those that go above and beyond.
a fun place to work 90% of your day is spent outside
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDNovember 15, 2013
maintaining and merchandising plants,accepting deliveries,answering customer questions regarding plants,trees,shrubs...I learned everything there is to know about plant,shrub and tree care,certain diseases they can get and how to take care of them..The hardest part of my job was working outside in the summer on really hot days,really long hours,not knowing when my day will end..I really enjoyed the flexiability of my schedule and being able to make important decisions on my own..
Pros
salary manager, company picnics, monetary contests
Cons
no set break/lunch, working outside on really hot days and really cold days
Great, If not seasonal.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHSeptember 20, 2013
Make your own hours. Pay was not the best (9.50), but for the work you do, it is pretty nice. Work within stores, but not bossed by the stores. You can't move up really though, and it is a seasonal position.
good job during season
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDSeptember 15, 2013
A typical day would be organizing the store getting new product in and old product out, and water the product.
I learned basic green house and garden knowledge such as what is necessary sun light and watering for certain plants.
Management was very hands on with trianing process.
Co-workers pulled their own weight.
this job was very easy and not difficult in any way.
Pros
not a difficult job
Cons
season is to short
Nursery Center
Area/ Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 14, 2013
Nursery Supplier with Home Depot as major client along the East Coast
Not In Ohio!
Lead Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 8, 2013
I made the mistake of working for Bell in Ohio. After many years as a professional in the Green Industry I can tell you that the management practices in the Ohio market are poor at best. Stores are not supplied on the basis of what each store needs but on how much of the greenhouse ranges in Springfield need to be cleared out...so we often got racks and racks of product that no one wanted.

There is little, if any, cooperation with the supposed Home Depot "partners" in many of the stores.

Plant quality is subpar. It was not uncommon to receive plants with disease or pest issues. At Bell Ohio they either do not know the law regarding such issues...or they simply do not care whether they get inspected by the Ohio Department of Agriculture or not. It is also not uncommon to have annuals shipped which are actually marked as "perennials".

If you do not care about being a plant professional and only want a part-time job watering plants for a few months this may work for you. But if you care about plants, customers, and quality Bell Ohio will be a disappointment, at best.
Pros
you do receive a paycheck
Cons
too many to list them all. they need a major change in management!
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Mid atlanticMarch 16, 2013
Very good company to work for. Upper management
Cares about their people. Some of the most passionate
People work in the stores at the store level. These people
In the stores deserve more recognition for their wonderful
Work
Horrible company to work for
supervisor (Former Employee) –  paMarch 8, 2013
You get little training. The manager does not care if there is room for the tons of plants that come in on a daily basis and just runs in like a maniac while she is visiting stores and screaming you for not putting the plants in proper sections. Well you find out much later that you are supposed to be destroying and throwing away perfect healthy plants just so she looks good by her manager and gets them out. some stores provide such little space for all of the hundreds of flowers. The manager does not care. And then leaves. And you are stuck with trying to figure it out on your own. I also find it very sad that this wasteful company does not use the perfect healthy flowers to do community service or donate them to places that could do so much good for people. Do not work for them! I also was fired for a small disability I had shared with my manager. She took me in the back room like a high school student and raged on at me flinging the exact words that I shared about me disability like she was some evil person off of the streets trying to make fun of me. I could have sued them and still might pursue it. I got fired for a disability.
Excellent company to work for
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDDecember 9, 2012
Bell Nursery has been the best at supporting associates with the knowledge to complete their work day.