Bellingham Technical College Employee Reviews

Get paid while you study
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 14, 2016
I would open an available computer lab for students for a few hours per day. I would do my own homework until someone else needed assistance.
Great benefits through the state, difficult work culture to navigate
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 12, 2016
Pros: There are a lot of very passionate people working at BTC who put the students first which can make it a great place to work. The benefits are pretty good and through the state (BTC is a WA state community college)

Conts: The pay is low for union positions. There can be a bit interdepartmental tension as well as intradepartmental tension that is overlooked and sometimes provoked by management. There is definite tension between union and non-union upper management.
Administration does not give incentive for good workers to stay
Lead Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 7, 2016
The Tutor Center Coordinator, Maryn Gunning, is phenomenal boss and is truly amazing at her job. She stated that due to how strong I was at my job, she wanted to utilize me in more areas around the college. However, administration was strongly against bringing people above a certain numbers of hours per week due to the added so she was unable to do so. My demand on campus was rather high from different tutoring services there but I was denied the opportunity to work more because the college would need to pay me benefits. The administration dictating where funding goes do not give people much incentive to want to stay around for the long haul.
Aside from the administration, there are very few negatives about BTC. Everyone I had the pleasure of interacting with was extremely friendly and welcoming. My boss was also accommodating for me needing to take time off with reasonable notice in advance.
Pros
Great boss, friendly and welcoming work environment
Cons
Little incentive to stay for full time employment or additional hour
"Temporary" positions
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJuly 2, 2016
Be aware of (not necessarily "beware of") positions with "temporary" tacked onto job titles. Despite the otherwise unionized campus, temps lack representation and, in turn, elevation into non-temporary, unionized positions. Temp positions fill budget constraints. An academic year's commitment has very minimal quarterly hours, with possibly additional on-call but unguaranteed. Quarterly schedules can change. Full-time work processes/knowledge are expected yet little continued training and access to department info non-temp peers receive. Good experience, however, to obtain some work and to network toward stabler employment elsewhere. Offers credibility for next potential employer.
Pros
academic setting, 9-12 month commitment, friendly campus environment
Cons
non-union, limited hours, scheduling changes, limited communications
Great industrial exposure and technical experience.
Instructional Technician (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 25, 2015
The Bellingham Technical College provides a great opportunity to gain technical experience while in school.

Building projects for lab use per specifications. As well as calibrating and rebuilding donated equipment.
Great place to work for.
Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Bellingham WaSeptember 26, 2014
Sales, I made popcorn almost every weekend. I really didn't like making popcorn all the time.
Great tech college
Student (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAJanuary 14, 2014
Had a wonderful time at this shcool, the teachers the classrooms the up to date eguipment it was worth the wait
Pros
Excelent teachers
Cons
Long wait to get in
A great learning experience
cook (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WASeptember 7, 2012
Typical day of work began with making sure all food stations were stocked and ready. I learned how to prepare different types of food, how to work the grill and deep-fryer, and how to multi-task. Chef and my co-workers were the best to work for. Hardest part of the job was , cleaning the deep-fryer. Most enjoyable part of job was cooking and service to my fellow student customers.
Pros
great learning enviroment.
Cons
cleaning the deep-fryer.