Ben and Jerry's Employee Reviews

Great work environment with friendly people.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 17, 2016
Ben and Jerry's was a very positive and energy filled experience. A day at work usually ran pretty smooth and I learned a lot about a fast paced environment and managing everything around me. The best part of this job was the friendly environment and the hardest part was working in such a small space.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not much ability to move up in the company
Great Place!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, VTApril 20, 2016
Ben and Jerry's is a great place to work at. Always fun and enjoyable. You meet many people from all around the world. My job was to restock floors, customer service and running the register. The hardest part of my job where the calories.
Pros
3 Free pints a shift.
Cons
Usually temporary summer job, calories
Fun
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDJune 13, 2016
This was my first job and although it got busy at times it was great! I loved everyone of my coworkers as they made each and every day worth working. Great first job.
Fun and creative work environment
Shift Leader, Customer Service, and Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 13, 2016
A typical day at the shop would be manipulated by the season. The colder seasons were extremely slow. In the warmer seasons, work is very fast paced where you work with many people at your side and have many customers to please. Time management was very important, balancing customer service at the front and creating customized cake orders in the back. I learned how to host birthday parties for children, catering to their parents needs as well as their own. Being granted the position of shift leader forced me to learn many management skills, learning how to be completely accountable for my work and the work of my team. The most difficult part of the position was learning how to communicate with a supervisor who disliked direct communication, rather using written messages to transfer information, criticism, or opinions. This gave me the opportunity to communicate in ways I was not used to. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the environment that was conducted by the staff and the work itself. I enjoy working with people, and the opportunity to put my creative mind to work.
Pros
Freely decorating cakes, the ability to contribute ideas
Cons
The winter season means extremely slow business with little to perform.
Great experience
Internship (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 18, 2016
Great place to work! I would enjoy working there again. Hopefully someday this will happen soon. They treat their employees really well.
Pros
Fun work place
Cons
Slow in the winter
best job ever
shift leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 9, 2016
I loved everything about this job. from my boss all the way down to the trains. friendly, happy, funny, lovable people. who doesn't like ice cream? it was a great and awesome job. will go backany day.
First job experience, fun loose working enviroment
Ice Cream Freezer Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2013
Working for a popular company like Ben & Jerry's had its benefits.

Very busy environment but the team work and great working relationships helped us thrive.
Pros
decent pay, great experience overall
Cons
questionable management choices
Fast paced but fun
Maintenance Coordinator/1st Shift (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, VTApril 1, 2015
The day at Ben & Jerry's starts with production meeting for all. I learned much about safety and quality moments. Management is on the same level as all employees, no suits just shorts and flip flops.
Co-workers are great and fun to work with.
The daily 3 hour drive can get to ya after a while and is the hardest part of the job. Best part is the company pays well and gives it's employees 3 pints per day in which we give to family and friends. " They Love It"
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long drive
Do. Not. Work. At. This. Location.
Scooper (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
I love Ben and Jerry's so much, but the location I worked at was not properly managed AT ALL. A typical day was scooping ice cream, making shakes, smoothies, sundaes, checking out customers, then cleaning up at the end of the day. My co-workers were the best part of the job and were always fun to work with. Minimum wage with tips was nice for part-time. The only problem with this location is the management. If you want to be the one to take the heat for the small amount of ice cream you are instructed to give out at insanely high prices- work here. The hardest part of the job is when there aren't enough people to work that shift and you have to work a weekend shift BY YOURSELF. Lines out the door BY YOURSELF. Sweating and running back and forth, back and forth, BY YOURSELF. Easily it is a three to four people job you have to accomplish by yourself. Then add another hour onto that for closing duties which you have to do all by yourself. They will also change your schedule very last minute so you have a surprise shift the next day for a day you might have specifically asked off. You wanna listen to the same old 60 tracks for however long you work there? It doesn't sound like it's a big deal but believe me, it becomes the worst thing after time. Do you want to not know when your next paycheck is coming in? Work here. Do you want your paychecks to sometimes be miscalculated, resulting in LOST HOURS? Work here! There's no employee discount so if you love looking at expensive ice-cream all day and not be allowed to eat any of it (even sample it!), work here. So many other cons I could  more... add to the list, but I'm worried my fingers might fall off from typing too hard, too fast, and too much. Save yourself from working here and don't apply. At this point, I'm begging you not to. I will never step foot into that dumpster of an establishment again.  less
Pros
tips, flexible schedule
Cons
no breaks, no employee discount, very last minute schedule changes, very dirty location in constant need of repairs, the management is the worst in the entire world
Very busy and fun place of business
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 17, 2012
Doing my job, interacting with my co-workers and customers, and offering outstnading customer service was a typical day at work for me. I learned how to use different machines needed to make all of our prducts properly. I also learned how to control my attitude and not let everything get to me. Management was great! There were no hard parts of my job everything came easy to me and if it didn't I kept pushing until it did. What i enjoyed most about this job was satisfying my customers and interacting with my co-workers when the time was right.
Pros
discounted ice cream and a new learning experience for me
Cons
no lunch break, pay was not good
Great place to be! :)
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glenview, ILJuly 15, 2013
I loved working here. The people and management where just wonderful! It was great to be able to sneak a spoon of ice cream here and there to try the new flavors! But honestly, its just a job for the kids in high school or college to get some money, but I absolutely loved it!
Pros
great people, ice cream tastings, fun environment
Cons
no advancement
It is wonderful working for a locally owned shop dedicated to excellent customer service as well as community outreach.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work really depends on the day of the week and the season, with weekends and summer months being the busiest. I learned a great deal about how to manage people and their responsibilities while keeping track of my own responsibilities and sales goals. The hardest part of the job is keeping track of our sales goals in order to achieve our goals on time. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I am in charge of making sure everyone is enjoying themselves, from staff or customers. We strive to keep our staff productive and happy so that they can provide the very best customer service.
First Job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 15, 2015
It was my first job and it taught me how to work as a team. The shift leaders were nice for the most part and showed equal treatment.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay
easy going environment
cashier (Former Employee) –  valencia, caJanuary 27, 2015
typical day at work consisted of baking, scooping ice cream, making waffle cones, help build ice cream cakes, interacting with customers, making sure the store stayed clean. management wasnt as flexible as i had hoped, but were very friendly. most of my co-workers were very welcoming and helpful.
Great workplace and positive learning experience
Scooper (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 15, 2015
A typical day at Ben & Jerry's included helping customers with all of their purchases and questions, restocking the coolers when the ice cream was running low, opening/closing the store, keeping the store clean, and preparing everything for the next shift. I learned a lot about ice cream, much to the satisfaction of the customers. I also learned about handling tough situations such as what to do when a customer is not happy about their product or service, and even how to deal with less than pleasant customers effectively. The manager was great, he would teach you how to do your duties at the start, offering some leniency as you adjusted and learned everything, and when you were good enough to be let out on your own, he didn't micromanage you. The coworkers were just fine, even on a bad day. It's hard to stay mad when you're surrounded by ice cream! I would say the hardest part of the job would be cleaning thoroughly, but even that wasn't so bad. And the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers in a way that made them feel welcome and not like they were at any other store. Also, the free samples of ice cream didn't hurt either.
Pros
free ice cream, a relaxed environment, friendly people
Cons
the not-so-frequent mean customer
Fast moving environment with great tips
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJuly 7, 2013
It was a fast moving environment that taught me how to work toward goals. Management was great and my co-workers were nice people to work with for the most part. The hardest part of the job was making sure that all employers were on task and doing their job. The most enjoyable part of the job was taking home tips at the end of the day.
Pros
great tips
Cons
employees had to pay for everything
lots of work to do, time goes by quickly
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJMarch 22, 2014
managed total store, hired and fired, cleaned, made the pretzels and delivered the pretzels. Nine to five. everyone gets along and is friendly
Pros
close to home, use of company car
Cons
just so high you can go
being on top
Manger (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg,VaDecember 15, 2013
i enjoyed working at ben and jerrys cause i was in charge..i learned how to running a business at a very young age..i was manganement so it was very easy to cope at work.the co-worker were wonderful the one above and below me..the hardest part of the day would have to be when the icecream orders were delivered..going into the freezer was very cold..theeasy part was making cones.
Pros
eating new flavors
Cons
gettin no tips
It was okay.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kahului, HIJuly 25, 2012
As much as I loved there product, there is no chance of advancement there. I didn't feel good in that work environment.
Productive work space, fun environment, friendly coworkers and area
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, VTApril 8, 2014
Most enjoyable part of the job: Meeting new people (coworkers, customers, etc), working the tie dye tent, and trying new flavors.
Hardest part of the job: in the summer it is very busy and can be hard to keep up with restocking inventory.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ben and Jerry's. Our community is ready to answer.