WHO WE ARE
Benchmark Brands, through its FootSmart and Comfort-ology catalogs and FootSmart.com website, is the nation’s leading direct response marketer of foot and lower body health care products and stylish, comfortable footwear.
Mailing close to 60,000,000 catalogs annually, FootSmart is one of the 50 largest consumer catalog titles in the U.S., and FootSmart.com currently ranks 176 on the Internet Retailer 500. The company stocks over 70,000 SKU’s in our 220,000 sq. foot fulfillment center in Memphis, and our as internal customer care center handles over 1,000,000 calls per year. We strive to offer great customer service that enhances our Brand and promotes customer lifetime value.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Reporting to the VP, Creative the Copy Director will be responsible for the development of direct response copy that supports the brand’s mission as the Comfort Footwear and Foot Health authority. You will manage a current team of 4 (copywriters, editor, and proofreader), writing brand, promotional copy as well as benefit-oriented product copy for catalogs (27 books per year), website and weekly email campaigns. Product copy must be compelling and embody strong direct marketing fundamentals while effectively communicating the brand story and voice as well as product features and benefits. You will be considered a “brand steward” by maintaining the integrity of the brand voice while developing creative concepts and leading the copy direction in collaboration with Catalog Marketing, Internet Marketing, and Merchandising teams in Footwear, Hosiery, Socks and Health Products.
- Direct and manage a high volume catalog and website direct response product copy process, while adhering to multiple and strict schedules in two office locations
- Collaborate with print and digital design teams on creative concepts and presentation of seasonal and brand campaign themes
- Apply marketing communications best practices to ensure effective copy, crafted to motivate customers, build relationship and loyalty, inspire confidence, and drive sales
- Collaborate with both catalog and web marketing teams in order to understand the requirements particular promotions, and translate into compelling copy for the customer
- Ensure copy integrity through extensive editing and proofreading
- Interpret, define and develop best selling approach for items, assortments and categories and all media channels
- Other duties as assigned by the VP, Creative
- Bachelor’s Degree in Creative Writing, Marketing, Journalism, English or related field
- 10+ years of marketing communications experience with strong working knowledge of direct response marketing fundamentals, minimum of 4 years working for a direct response marketer, direct response agency, or catalog/web retailer where copy is integral to the products’ success
- Ability to successfully lead and manage a team of copy professionals (writing, editing and proofreading)
- Broad copy skill set that includes fact finding, conceptual work, editorial content development, promotional copy development and video and rich media copy development across a wide range of media
- Ability to take information and transform it into informative, compelling copy
- Experience working closely with art direction and graphic design teams and their processes
- Must be proficient on Mac OSX with ability to write/edit in Adobe InDesign
- Strong verbal/written communication and organizational skills
- Strong team player with enthusiasm, positive attitude and the willingness to do what it takes to get the job done, which may include extended hours when necessary to meet deadlines
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU
We offer a competitive salary and bonus program as well as a strong benefits package including Medical/Dental, Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance and 401 (k).