Benedictine University

balanced school and life
anananan
nananan
Student Ambassador (Current Employee), Lisle, ILJune 8, 2014
A typical day at work is stocking merchandise, working fitting rooms, operating cash register, cleaning show department, running put-backs, and cleaning the entire store.
Don't Drink the Kool-Aid
Anonymous (Former Employee), Lisle, ILJune 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: people, hostile environment, never-ending silos, gossip, favoritism
I was excited to work with Benedictine but didn't realize that I would be walking into a high school environment all over again. You would think that others in the office would be too busy to watch and analyze the new hire, then gossip.

You also have to worry about stepping on other department's toes rather than working together. The 'stepping on toes' – more... is a result of conflicts that date back before most current employees were hired. This hinders in taking initiative which seems to be in every job description. It's quite laughable.

Don't dare to have a mind of your own or your own opinion, you'll be looking for another job in no time. Smile, nod and tell others what they'd like to hear if you cannot find a job anywhere else. Don't dare to have a personality of your own. Meetings on how to change your personality will be scheduled. My best advice is to leave your brain and who you really are at home. You won't need it! Also, get use to having your ideas stolen, it's the norm.

Benedictine promotes subject matters and not good quality managers. It is common for employees at Benedictine to be a victim of an inexperienced manager. This may result in being let go or punished by being ignored and finger pointing.

Being a university, you would think that proper office protocols are put into place. New hires shouldn't have to create them.

There are also too many cooks in the kitchen. I don't see how several departments get anywhere.

The best thing about Benedictine are the benefits. If you decide to apply, good luck! The corporate world is easier than this place! – less
Excellent School
Communication Arts Intern (Current Employee), Springfield, ILApril 12, 2014
I am currently a senior at BenU, but as an intern for the Communication Arts department, I love being able to learn through this course. It has increased my experience in different areas of my major, as well as get to know other professors, staff, and faculty who are apart of the campus.
Intimate setting with fun and fast-paced atmosphere.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Lisle, ILApril 3, 2014
Being detail oriented, punctual, and incredibly accurate is extremely important as a administrative assistant. There are multiple things to do at once, quickly and independently. This job taught me how to multitask and communicate effectively.

My coworkers had their individual jobs to do but we all worked efficiently without much distraction. Getting – more... to speak to incoming students and giving them tours around a university they were interested in was exciting. – less
I am an adjunct. I've worked here & on committees 7 years.
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee), SpringfieldFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: attitudes & care of individual
Cons: have no campus elevators
I am well received. All doors are open. They live the Benedictine Hallmarks in treatment of all.
We have great additional teaching instruction & much campus life. Fun!
Fun place
student (Former Employee), springfield ilJanuary 23, 2014
The professors are very knowledgeable and make school interesting. A great place to receive a four year degree. Hardest part is the class schedule, sometimes the times are not convenient.
A good part-time job
Grounds Worker (Former Employee), Lisle, ILDecember 21, 2013
A simple grounds job gave me the good experience of work outside of sitting in a chair. My co-workers were a mix of students like myself and full time workers who were always friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my time there and only left because the pay was not enough.
easy job, very rewarding
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Lisle, ILNovember 11, 2013
Pros: easy job, flexible hours
Cons: sometimes monotonous
assist undergrads with assignments and labs, held tutoring sessions, grade papers
Very enjoyable workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Lisle, ILSeptember 17, 2013
I liked working at Benedictine University because of the other University employees. I formed a lot of great relationships here with people of all different areas of interest. People collaborate and work hard to make sure all stakeholders are pleased in what decisions are made. It's a very nice place to work.
Adjuncting work is slavery
Adjunct Faculty - Philosophy (Former Employee), Lisle, ILAugust 27, 2013
The pay is awful. The base pay for a MA is 1800 a course which would not have covered my gas. Since I was a short notice emergency hire they gave me the PhD pay of 2200 a course.

Some of the students are good, but many are spoiled and expect special treatment. There are better adjuncting options out there but really the best adjuncting option is not – more... to adjunct. – less
Great Personnel
Assistant Baseball Coach (Current Employee), Lisle, IlJuly 22, 2013
Great to work with the coaches and players, just looking for more competitive atmosphere.
I enjoy working for Benedictine as it offers flexibility.
Adjunct Nursing Instructor (Current Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 8, 2013
Great university to be a part of. The faculty members are helpful and truly a team.
Not the place for anyone with a mind of there own
Contractor (Former Employee), Lisle, IlMay 13, 2013
Cons: management
A typical day at BU is sucking up to management, then sucking up to privilaged and disprespectful children.

Voice an opinion different then management and you'll be looking for a new job. There are 2 types of people who work at BU,

1: People that can't think for themselves.
2: People who can't find a job anywhere else.

BU is a toxic enviornment, – more... I'd suggest staying far away from there. – less
Great benefits, but will test your morals and values
Student Life (Current Employee), Lisle, ILApril 16, 2013
Pros: free tuition, great benefit packages
Cons: very bad management, lack of student centered attitude, very numbers driven.
Benedictine can be a great place to work, it has a lot of rich history and prestige. They are really focused on having a great work life balance and provide generous benefit packages. The issues comes from the hierarchy structure and the many politics that are played that seem to have very negative affects on the students. Top management is not student – more... focus and that mindset trickles down to the rest of the staff and faculty. Sometimes Benedictine operates more like a for profit school then a Catholic non-profit school. We have values but we don't live up to the true Benedictine and Catholic values. – less
Student-focused and enjoyable
Career Development Coordinator (Current Employee), Springfield, ILMarch 1, 2013
The University is student-focused not only in the classroom but outside of the classroom as well. Including campus life and professional development.
Very Productive work place and great work enviroment
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee), Lisle, ILJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: got to work with a lot of great kids
Cons: lot of hours 70 plus a week
A typical day for me would consist of reviews things from the previous day. Getting a plan ready for the current day and making sure that my players where all doing what they needed to do in the class room and on the field.
Stadium Operations (Former Employee), Lisle, ILApril 9, 2012
Pros: management
Cons: low amounts of hours
Working in the BU stadium is nice. Fun athletic job. Staff is friendly and overall its a nice atmosphere to be apart of