Benefitfocus.com Employee Reviews

Not Worth Your Time
Customer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 9, 2017
If you are not pursuing full time employment, do not try to get that foot in the door with a temporary or contract job.

Even then. Listings: these are not REAL jobs available. They fish for possible candidates so don’t count on this actually going through.
Sr. Manager, Data Integration (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 5, 2017
There is nothing that I would like to report related to the employer that I currently work for. I find this information to be not necessary related to my current job search
Don't leave your permanent job
Benefits Administrator - Contractor (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCDecember 4, 2017
It's an ok place to work if you need something temporarily. The only disadvantage to working as a contractor is you're laid off with no notice. Whoever your agency is Aerotek or JSG will call or email you at home on a Saturday to tell you the assignment is over.
Low Salary. Incompetent Management. Two friends quit due to management being intimidated
Integration Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 4, 2017
Two friends quit because management was intimidated by their production and refused to reward hard work. I began to experience the same pushback and left for a similar position elsewhere for a salary 150% of what Benefitfocus was paying me. They use to be a decent company and now they're struggling. Not listed by any state rankings as an enjoyable place to work. Person that hired me quit within a month of me jointing. Recruiting Team phone-interviewed me in a bathroom!

But they have free coffee!
Pros
Ok for a first job.
Cons
Incompetent Management. Low Salaries. No growth potential/advancement.
Nice Job
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCNovember 28, 2017
I feel like i never got a chance to prove myself. They let me go within 1 month and i was doing really well! I loved the job but it is what it is i wish i could’ve stayed
Pros
Great Pay, Great People, Free Food sometimes
Cons
If you are on that 11-8 shift it sucks
Nice place
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 28, 2017
Place is OK but there is no job security. They teach you a lot of information just to lay you off in five months. The volume of calls coming into Benefitfocus it is expected of you to maintain a 90% adherents or your out. I think that is a little excessive.
Pros
Free luches
Cons
Job security
Don't Bother!
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 27, 2017
received call on Saturday morning to say contract has ended and last night (Friday) was my last night working at Benefitfocus; didn't receive 2 weeks notice
Pros
Cons
free meals
Good job right out of college
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 25, 2017
Good entry-level opportunity for new graduates looking to enter the corporate workforce. Work/life balance could be improved, but opportunity is there to advance and be apart of an ever changing company.
Fun workplace
Contract Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 21, 2017
I really enjoyed working here but it was only a temporary position. They laid us off after open enrollment. But they gave us a $25 Fandango gift card.
Pros
Great benefits if you're hired on
Cons
Temporary position
Decent place to work depending on which department
Microsoft Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 17, 2017
Decent place to work depending on which department. Some departrments are good to work in and others are terrible. Be carefull you may get walked all over
Pros
Modern Facilties
Cons
Terrible team work between departments
nice place to work but misleading
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 16, 2017
I was hired on as a temp for Open Enrollment help to enroll state employees into benefits. It was under the understanding that this most likely would be a temp to hire position. Never were we led to believe our jobs would abruptly end even though several of us temps asked repeatedly if we would be let go soon ( so we could look for other employment). Instead of giving us ANY notice we left on a Friday and were called on that sunday and told don't come back your assignment is over. leaving none of us time to have another job lined up. That was quite a shock and very disappointing.

On the positive side it is a good place to work. our desks were huge. The computers are nice and programs are up to date. The phone system works well. Most calls were friendly not many upset state employees. The mgmt. for the most part were knowledgable and on the same page. They had snacks for us often and occasionally catered all free. the snack machines are very affordable as are the drink machines and you get free starbucks from the machine at work. everyone is mostly friendly there.

We all worked very hard to learn this job and do it well. Again, extremely disappointed in how they let us go.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
don't bother to work there as a temp because they won't hire you
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 16, 2017
Benefitfocus is the best employer in Charleston in my opinion. I would only caution against taking "any" role to get in the door as you could end up stuck in that position if the powers at be do not support your desire to move around the company. There are people that have switched jobs and had growth and those that cannot move at all, it really all depends.

The culture, the balance, the love for family is unsurpassed. There is really nothing negative to say. A truly great opportunity and fantastic senior leadership for those that are looking. The hiring process can take a little bit, but that is because they are thorough.

I would only leave for advancement opportunities, but when I came through the door my intention was to never leave!
Pros
culture, great PTO, flexibility and ability to work remotely on occasion
Cons
lack of advancement
typical day at work
Application Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 5, 2017
The Culture team is always hosting something for the employee whether it is a massage team that come on site or treats. You don't have to leave for lunch. There are a variety of food trucks and caterers that come. The environment relies heavy on team work, which I love. But, if you are not eager to learn and be a part of a group setting, than I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.
Management is struggling
Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 2, 2017
The most employable part of the job is the team but the general environment feels young and unprofessional with inexperienced management and insecurity for positions to be outsourced.
Relaxed Atmosphere
Benefits Administrator - Contractor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 23, 2017
The Benefits Administrator position at Benefit Focus was a temporary (contract) position. The agency that assigned the job stated that they were going to hire some of the temps on permanently, but this was just a dangling carrot. The only permanent positions were either engineering or design in the Greenville office. Any benefit administrators would need to relocate to Charleston. Temps were brought in specifically for Open Enrollment only. This lasted a little over a month.

The training was beneficial and the job itself was enjoyable. But since it is a call center, breaks are kept at a minimum, under the OSHA standard.

It was a very casual atmosphere, but because so much time was spent on the phones, there is no time for work relationships. Plus the traffic into and out of Greenville is the worst anywhere. Plan on spending at least an hour drive each way because of I-85.
Pros
Free snacks & lunch is someimes provided. Very casual dress.
Cons
Limited breaks, traffic into/out of Greenville, job is temporary
Good experience
Salesforce Administrator/ Product Owner (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 5, 2017
Benefitfocus was a great experience and I was able to work with some amazing people. I learned a lot in almost every aspect of the business. The people are really the reason that the culture was so great.
Pros
No one looking over your shoulder
Cons
Pay
Bad place
Test Manager, Delivery (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 3, 2017
rough place. smart people but no advancement or plans. no career paths. insane amount of work and no pay. I would NOT apply here ever. save yourself.
Pros
Cons
everything
Competitive, fun, but no job security
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCSeptember 28, 2017
It was a nice environment, with lovely "amenities". The catch, however, was that they would raise competition by saying 10 of 45 people would make the cut and transition onto the team from the temp agency. This was misleading in most cases, being that they would end the open enrollment and cut the entire team. The selected few were picked based upon who they knew and not what was learned.
Pros
complimentary coffee/drinks
Cons
Incompetent Trainer, but you learned better together, as a team.
Mediocre
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 27, 2017
Great place to start a career, not necessarily where a developer would want to end up. There is constant uncertainty on whether a specific job is safe.
Would make a perfect full time position (but not short term-temporary)
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCSeptember 21, 2017
Outstanding training, great managers and employees as. Benefitfocus training is very tedious and their is a wealth of knowledge that must be obtained in order to perform your work accurately and correct. Benefitfocus has the best team of trainers (teachers for there company). Upon leaving training and going to your perspective duties you are fully prepared for the job. Once training is over you are definitely on another level and you are treated by managers and employees on personal and professional level as if you have been working years.If any new implications should arise with your work assignment that you are not familiar with you are properly trained. My motto for benefitfocus benefits administrator would be "no employee left behind"
Pros
Professional and personal oriented work atmosphere
Cons
Lunch should be at 1 hour and 15 minutes