Benihana Employee Reviews

Great place to work and flexible with schedule.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2017
Love working at Benihana!! Managers are really flexible with my schedule availability and front of the house and back of the house are very friendly and work good as a team.
busy atmosphere with fun co workers
hostess, waitress (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 14, 2017
I did several positions, i was a waitress, hostess and a bartender. So I didn't have a typical day but every day consisted of dealing with various customers, keeping a good pace throughout the day and keeping a cool head. I enjoyed all my co workers they made the job easier and the day go by faster and the hardest part would have to be the customers, some of the demands are too much
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Orderly with clear expectations, make friends and socialize
Bartender (Current Employee) –  City Industry, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Bartender bulk work is servicing "servers" with sake, beer, cocktails, specialty drinks, tea, ice, and stock work at 4 percent compensation. So, create $100.00 of drinks while stocking the service station, receive $4.00 compensation, "servers" presumably make $16.00 on the drinks you made based on simplified 20% tip scenario.

At the bar, minimum wage days are more common than $100.00 days, due to sedate bar environment, such as no-volume TV game day, and sake-shots, for example, not really encouraged. More of a casual-enjoyable family environment than a loud-party environment.

Successful bartenders are of two types: the young millenial getting a start in mixed drinks while having fun and making friends, and the second-chance mature bartender that thrives in routine with minimal compensation expectations. Bartenders that serve tables increase income.
Pros
Expectations are clear, orderly work environment, make friends.
Cons
Minimal compensation, always stocking, no television volume.
Lots of diversity within company, but awful management
Teppanyaki Chef (Current Employee) –  Fashion Show MallJanuary 9, 2017
Throughout my time working here, many people have been laid off and the management has been unbearable. It is very unorganized as a restaurant and being a corporate chain made it so nothing of use got done. There are many problems that could easily be fixed, but corporate doesn't listen to the people actually working at the location, all they go off of is numbers.
Pros
free lunches, decent tips
Cons
long days, overexertion, lack of breaks, awful management
host/waiters
Waiter/Host (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 5, 2017
benihana is a very family restaurant in which, any person will be forced to deal with all different type of people and ages, very good place to work as a first restaurant job.
Good Comapany
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 4, 2017
I was Responsible for the overall cleanliness of the restaurant. My responsibilities included, but were not limited to; setting and cleaning up tables, replenishing the supply of clean dishes to the kitchen and wait staff, ensuring that all prep work was completed for the next work day.
Like any job, its what you make of it!!
GM (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 3, 2017
Worked as management for many years and had more good experiences than bad. Salary is in line with most other chain restaurants, however their was basically no bonus plan to speak of when I worked for them I'm not sure as to the current offerings.
Satisfactory work environment
Hostess/ Server (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CADecember 31, 2016
I would delegate specific tables that are sectioned off to me and would be serving the customers accordingly. Some of the daily duties of this position included taking orders and delivering the meals to customers, replenishing items that are needed, taking care of daily total charges by taking care of payment, issuing bills, and delivering changes or credit card to customers.
One of the main things I learned working at a fast-paced restaurant, such as Benihana, was to know how to multi-task efficiently during the job. Being able to manage the work progression helped in terms of keeping things steady and consistent.
Working with management and co-workers were satisfactory. Everybody was hardworking, enjoyable to work with and worked together as a team effort.
Productive work place
Busser/server (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Arrive to work on time , clock in and find out what tables I'm assigned too wait for my tables to be seated, greet guests with a smile , and keep a clean work area. I've learned to use the ALOHA System as well as a new credit/ debit payment method to prevent fraud. My co-workers were polite espeically during training and when i asked for help . Hardest part of the job was to work in tight spaces in a fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was providing excellent service for guests and getting a good review for the restaurant.
Pros
Free meals, and employee discounts
Cons
management was not very good, unorganized managers
Fast paced work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 16, 2016
Fast paced environment and must be able to work efficiently under pressure. Multi-tasking is a needed skill as you will have multiple guests and co-workers requesting help.
Fun workplace with ability to work under pressure.
Lead Server (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CANovember 7, 2016
Head server for the restaurant and got to able to work with a variety of people you can learn stuff from. On my own, got to see what I was capable of with whatever was given to me. Learned more about myself that I didn't even know.
great ambience
Busser/dishwasher, kitchen tool organizer (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 31, 2016
At Benihana there is no lack of management, everybody is taken care of. The food is phenomenal and not too expensive. Last but not least, great dining choice.
Sushi chef (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2016
A typical day starts about eight thirty with fried rice prep, i learned how to prepare different dishes from places i have only dreamed of visiting. The management started of great they have their ups and downs with the co-workers but above all the staff was wonderingful. Its not a part of the job that i really found hard i enjoyed mingleing the guest and cooking great food.
Pros
Free lunch and great discounts when im off.
Cons
No breaks really
management and benifits
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 24, 2016
this corporation over works their employees and cheats them off their hard earned money by making them take 2 hr breaks just so the company doesn't get overtime. they also don't work with their employees when it comes to other jobs school and personal issues that can not be controlled. they also dont notify employees of their benefits. lastly they pay below minimum wage.
Pros
employee meals, 50% discount when you dine in
Cons
favoritism, never really a set schedule
A productive place to work with. People are very nice to each other always help each other. The management understands your situation all the time.
Server (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 23, 2016
Ive develop my skills in my serving career its time for me to move up
and try another journey. Typical day at work is singing happy birthday
on table after table also sings a japanese happy song. Very lively place to work at. Co-workers are funny and hold no negative feelings. Everybody is always positive. Most enjoyable part is free food lol.
Pros
free food. great discounts
Cons
no healthcare. no benefits. expensive parking.
Love Benihana
Assistant General Manager / Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 14, 2016
Excellent place to work.....my GM was amazing....The culture and overall Benihana experience was very good for my career. I would embrace an opportunity to work there again once the dust has settled.
Pros
Quality of life
Cons
Company is in a state unstable flux
Fun, productive new experience
Host and Server (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 9, 2016
I love working with different cultures, meeting new people everyday very excellent work environment sometimes we get regular customers that come back for more and bring friends and family.
Family Setting With a Paycheck
Sushi Chef (Former Employee) –  Pennsauken, NJSeptember 20, 2016
Absolutely loved working there. Unfortunately, I had to relocate but it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. The employees are all so loving , management shows concerns, also shows appreciation for their employees. Meals are cooked for all employees at around 3:00 where employees are able to intermingle with co workers and discuss any issues that may arise during the days workload.
Pros
Family oriented location, Flexible scheduling
Cons
Healthcare
worked 21 years it was the best time of my working life.
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 17, 2016
Worked as an assistant manager for two years and got promoted to be General manager and worked 19 years as General Manager.The company was sold out to a holding company they brought in their people and let me and some other General Manager with the same length of employment history like I with Benihana were let go with 20 weeks compensation pay.
Pros
FREE MEALS GOOD BENEFITS
Cons
Long hours open and close for five days plus monthly inventory hours
Horrible tip out
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAAugust 24, 2016
Percentage of tip out is excessively high. The chefs get 9% of total sales alone, so if somebody hands them money they get to keep that money or if someone tips 5% then the remaining 4% comes out of the tips from the other tables. Walked with $9 on multiple occasions when I had $1700 sales

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benihana. Our community is ready to answer.