Benihana

Benihana United States Employee Reviews

Fast Paced
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIMarch 26, 2015
Working in this environment was very fast paced. Tables had to be set up within a certain time frame from when the guest left. I had to lift trays that were at least 10 pounds of dirty dishes. my coworkers were easy to get along with and understanding.
Productive, professional, entertaining, relaxed, and fun workplace
A, Front-Desk Host / To-Go Server (Former Employee), Concord, CAMarch 20, 2015
Pros: free food, company party, lively party atmosphere
Cons: short breaks, limited health/dental benefits (need 40 hrs of work), less time to work (only 5 days), customers complaint a lot waiting for tables...
Long-hours standing, answers telephone, chatting with customers, using the PC for official business only, cleaning restrooms, and being polite to the customers / staff

I've learned strong work-ethic, hard-work, and excellent customer service.

The management can sometimes be a pain in the neck. Telling us what to do all the time, but it is for our best interest or just following the company policy (or what the company thinks best for us).

My co-workers come from all walks of life. Some of them are bad, and most of them are really friendly people too.

The hardest part of my former job, was getting yelled or being scorned both by impatient customers / managers-in-duty who wanted to sit at the hibachi tables with long-list of waiting time for table reservations. Sometimes, the blame games gets passed onto us--the Front-Desk Host. I think there should be a time-limit set for the customers to use the table, and the chef is cooking really fast. Also, it's hard in my job to keep an eye on minors trying to buy a drink at the bar..That's a big NO NO!

The most enjoyable part of my job at Benihana, is to watch live big HD screen TV football games or other sports. Also, the best part of this job is I have an opportunity to eat authentic Japanese dishes, and it's all free food & free drinks (except wine / beer)...

I will definitely see you again, Benihana! I will be back, that's for sure, for lunch & dinner with my family, soon! Arigatogozaimazu! I feel that I'm at home. This is like my second home now :-)

Thanks for everything Benihana. I'm sure our paths will cross again in near future!
Great job for a young person.
Host- Greet (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2015
Benihana really does become a second family, this job is great for a younger person because of the flexible work schedules.
Wonderful Boss
Guest Relations Operations (Former Employee), Doral, FLFebruary 4, 2015
I learned so much and my boss was so open to teaching me and very patient, I loved every minute of my job there. I was a temp so I couldnt stay but if i could have i would have.
Overall, working for Benihana was fun and I loved the interaction with the customers.
Server (Former Employee), Beachwood, OHJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: working with the other servers and staff, and interacting with the customers.
Cons: poor management.
Each day, I would setup work stations and prepare soup bowls, salads, drink stations, silverware, and clean areas for the beginning of the shift. Once the restaurant opened, I would greet customers, take and fill orders, serve beverages, refill beverages, box remaining food to go, deliver checks, and receive payment, all while giving quality customer service to each customer.
All Work, and No Pay
Chef (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZOctober 28, 2014
I'll start with the best part of the job: cooking for the customers and making them happy after they were unsatisfied with the front, servers, and management. The day starts with getting to work at 11am, prepping and being interrupted to go out and cook tables for the lunch period, which ends at 2pm; at which time, we put away the food, and clean the kitchen. When all is said and done, break starts around 2:45pm until we have to return at 4:30pm. I live about 30 minutes away, so driving home isn't a great option. No lunch is provided, so we have to either bring our own or go to one of the other local restaurants to eat. When we get back to work at 4:30pm, we resume the prep and try to finish everything before about 5:30 when people start showing up for dinner. If we do not finish the prep, we put it away and bring it out after the restaurant is closed and finish it then. Between 5:30pm and about 9:30pm it's non stop cooking and entertaining 8-12 people at a time within 45 minutes. Other chefs couldn't live up to that standard, so the one's who could would end up cooking more tables and doing more work for the essentially the same money. When the night is over, we clean the kitchen once more and head out to clean the grills, finishing up the night by cleaning our carts and utensils. This means we end up leaving around 11pm. A 12 hour day. All of this for $8.00/hr plus 9% of the total food sales for the night in the form of cash pooled together by the servers to split between the chefs. This is corporate policy, and essentially means that the servers earn about as much as the chefs every pay period, for doing half the work and being there half the time.
long hours but fun
Assistant Manager/GM (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 27, 2014
Pros: sky is the limit for sales
Cons: high turn over rate with employees in restaurant industry
This job required me to run all FOH and BOH operations. I managed over 50 employees, hired and scheduled them as well. I made sure the restaruant was 110% daily.
Bad management
Teppanyaki Server/ Sushi Bar Server (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIOctober 21, 2014
Bad management communication. Long hours and day shifts. Lots of customer complaints.
Benihana Inc.
Corporate (Current Employee), Miami, FLOctober 7, 2014
running reports numbers and corresponding with guests. my coworkers have always played an extremely important role to why I have remained within this organization.
Great Place to Work
Server (Current Employee), Denver, COOctober 4, 2014
Benihana is a great place to work at. I learned a lot about customer service from Benihana.
Fun
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee), Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2014
Pros: 50% off friends and family
Cons: nothing
It was a great job i was able to meet people from all over the world t wass great job great people
Great summer job experience
Summer Hostess (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 25, 2014
I worked here for a sumer as a hostess and gained valuable customer service experience!
Fun busy work environment
Teppan Server (Former Employee), Ontario, CAAugust 18, 2014
Co workers are easy to get along with and management is fair. Hardest part of the job was dealing with the high volume during busy nights.
Fun staff, employees who are willing to help eachother
Server (Former Employee), Golden Valley, MNJuly 13, 2014
A typical day at work consists of constant singing for birthdays. Although the menu is expensive, the customers usually come with coupons and don't tip on the original price.
nice establishment
Server/bartender (Former Employee), Miami, FLJuly 5, 2014
very fun and nice establishment. its enjoyable watching the chefs cook.
great place to work for students
Busser (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNMay 3, 2014
i had fun working there. the people were nice and friendly. the managers were always there for you when you needed them.the hardest part was the long hours.everyday working there was enjoyable.
Hectic workplace, but what else do you expect from a restaurant
Server (Former Employee), Edison, NJMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free lunches, decent pay
Cons: dead end
Working consists of running food out to chefs cooking at grills, bringing customers drinks/foods, and other typical waitering jobs.
FUN, great company to be a part with
SENIOR GM (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: great benefits/yearly appraisals
learned several important aspects of the hospitality business, all GMs had to generate your yearly budgets, great work culture all about the Japanese hospitality and attention to details, a bit challenging for new managers are the seating arrangements(communal dinning). It is great to belong to an impressive company that has continuous growth yearly.
Not the easiest place to work but it might be worth it.
Manager (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: free food. friendly work atmospherre. opportunity to make money.
Cons: difficult customers. inconsistant work load
Depending on location, your days can be easy or very difficult.
You learn a lot of great traits and skills in what it takes to run a success restaurant. Not to mention, plenty of information on Japanese Culture.
Good co-workers help make the work environment more enjoyable. But like any restaurant, you hope that they don't make the job more difficult for you.
Hardest part of the job is dealing with poor clientele while knowing in most cases, management's hands are tied when it come to what they can do for you.
The most enjoyable part is the environment, being around good food, and good people
Benihana You Say?
Bus Boy (Former Employee), Cupertino, CAJanuary 21, 2014
hey there benihana i miss working with you guys so i'm gonna make this short. work was hard everyday but very great for the mind, body, and soul. i learned that it takes guts and stamina for this job. management was stupid really. co-workers were mean. hard thing about this job was showing up on time. yet an enjoyable part of this job was you get to smoke cigarettes on break in front of the old benihana not the new but the old.

About Benihana

The main course at Benihana comes with an appetizer of culinary entertainment. A leader in full-service restaurants, the company's – Read more

Benihana Salaries