Benjamin Moore Employee Reviews

A place were most people are good to work with
mixer/forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Make paint in 6000gal - 150gal tanks and portables
Gather materials needed to make paint
Restock materials
Transfer batches
Management was the second worst that I ever worked
Workplace culture was some people can do whatever they want
Doing work that people did not want to do for over 5yrs
A wolf in sheeps clothing
Shader (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, NYAugust 4, 2016
Everything seems great when you start. Good benefits, good pay, not bad hrs. Very dependent on new hires to work very hard, yet shows a lot of favoritism to select individuals. Honestly, seems more like high school in the way its managed by shift leads, upper management is excellent though. There is too much of the blame game between all shifts. In actuality only the shift leads are unprofessional with the exception of the first shift lead. Co workers are very friendly and knowledgeable and most work as a team with others. I enjoyed my job as a shader. The job duties, depending on what your hired as, are challenging with a very strong attention to detail and very little room for error, which I loved. If the shift leads were more professional and adult like, it would be an excellent place to work.
Pros
excellent benefits and pay rate
Cons
Shift leads need to be more educated, and act a lot more professional
Productive and fast pace work enviornment
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 31, 2016
Start the day making coffee for the customers who come in early.
Fill colorant in all the machines, check stock is in designated area, inspect all company vehicles, open ware house bay doors, check inventory, and make sure no debris is on the floor.
I enjoy working for this company because I keep myself steadily busy; I also enjoy helping the customers with their questions/concerns. The hardest part of this job is when days are hectic and customers tend to become inpatient, but we do our best to strive for excellence with each and every customer.
Pros
Every other Friday we are treated for lunch.
Cons
One break throughout the entire day.
Stifling. No opportunity for advancement.
Minion (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 9, 2016
Stick in the past. Legacy employees throughout. Entire staff is middle-aged to old. Senior Management is dishonest. HR is useless. Middle managers are scapegoats. No loyalty or appreciation shown towards employees.
Pros
Free lunch.
excellent job
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Pell City, ALSeptember 14, 2016
typical day at work go in pull formulas to make the paint management was awesome really loved this job the best part of the job was learning how to make paint and what all was actually in paint
Benjamin Moore
Customs Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJAugust 13, 2016
Awesome place to work. Looking for a change right now. The ability to use the talents I have. Manager doesn't challenge me and I feel as though I am stuck.
Pros
CEO
Cons
Being hourly instead of salary
Good job, poor management
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 13, 2016
The work is easy & simple to process, the management is unstable, all over the place, can't stick to a routine that works, insists on changing things daily.
We call it Modern Slavery.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 25, 2016
Newark plant the worst place to work, new, youngs and inexperienced management run a modern slavery factory.
They only care about the daily numbers.
People worth nothing, easy replacements.
Pros
Still good people there.
Productive Fun Place to work
Customer Service Rep/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Flanders, NJMay 23, 2016
I started as a temp to hire worked for 3-4 moths and moved up quickly. Hire Full-Time and almost immediately moved up taking over fax distribution team. Was selected to participate in new Sap system debugging program due to company integrating SAP from infinium (an ancient data entry program). After most of the bugs were clear I was nominated do to my knowledge of SAP, to take over training position. I trained current representatives that had been there from 2-20 years as well as 15 new employees retaining 12. Personally every day was less then typical because my hours would be changed to meet company needs. I've learned a lot about paint and its distributers. My co-workers were very helpful at 1st after while I was doing most of the helping. Hardest part of the job, to me was keeping everyone up beat to meet specific cut off times for order to be entered and warehouse to receive it in time to have it on truck for next day delivery( which is a Benjamin Moore pledge. Most enjoyable were also co-workers and the 2 managers. they were very knowledgeable and have great personalities.
Pros
Always changes, Great benefits, Great Bonuses, Great Pay, Helpful Co-workers Kelly Pardo and Kim O'brien the Best
Cons
Team leader can be unprofessional at times
Company trying hard to reinvent itself
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJJanuary 7, 2016
Family run company that had a culture shock when a corporate CEO was hired. Many people lost their jobs and morale was terrible. There have been changes since and is getting better, but still seems like a company without an identity.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Management, dying business model
Highly political environment, poor culture has developed, much discord in many departments, lots of back stabbing
Mid Level Manager (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJMay 1, 2016
The CEO is never seen in the halls, but he's actually a good guy who most would like to work for. The VP's create a sometimes nasty working environment, many worked their way up from other positions and have know it all attitudes or condescending behaviors, they play favorites and cause a culture of back stabbing. Many mid level people keep to themselves and try to stay out of the politics and they wind up falling out of favor and being killed off.

The company lacks a 360 degree culture that holds the VP's more accountable for their pieces. VP's protect their own vested interests and create a silo effect. They are very skilled at schmoozing the CEO team as well, but they treat their people poorly, except the ones they really get along with.

Benjamin Moore is a tough company to come into and succeed in. Priorities change frequently, none of the data systems talk to each other and the VP's run their areas poorly. There is no commitment to modeling the company's Foundational Beliefs. As a result, the atmosphere is downright dreary and negative at times. Core values should drive an organization. Benjamin Moore has them. They don't walk the talk. Bottom Line Here.

The company's outlook is kind of gloomy. They continue to sell to the Independent Channel but they don't truly listen to the Dealers. People that have been there many years always say things like, "We tried that 20 years ago" or, "There is no shortage of ideas, everyone has lots of ideas."

What this company needs is a team that visits Dealers and truly takes their feedback to the Leadership team and then,
  more... all the VP's are held accountable for following though and really getting things that matter done.

The Dealers are also closing shop or adding competitive lines and one by one, the points of distribution shrink. Recent commercials reflect an Ad campaign that talks about what's in the can and a tiny bit about the Dealers who sell the product.

Shoppers don't care about the technical attributes of the paint that much. Shoppers want color. That's it. Yet, the ads are driven by a Manufacturer who is too focused on what they make and how they make it.

Shoppers also don't really get why Independent Dealers are better. They perceive the Benjamin Moore Paint to be similar to other paint. All things being equal, price is the deciding factor and Benjamin Moore is expensive.

The only thing that would work would be to market and drive the Benjmain Moore colors & educate customers on how these colors can't be copied.

The ads should have a Pintrest, Design Oriented feel. They don't. They stink. Its shocking to see how bad the Marketing Leadership is. One by one the CMO's drive the future of Benjamin Moore further away from that Designer Feel they should gravitate towards.

Meanwhile, competitors focus on what in their ads? Color. And their colors do NOT compare to what Benjamin Moore has to offer.

Females and Couples see neat things on Pintrest and they want to make their homes look like this. But the retail experience at many Dealers is nothing like what they need to experience.

The real problem with Benjamin Moore's future is that Silo's fight each other instead of creating continuity and synergy. Instead of striving to achieve a customer experience driven by look, feel, positive experience, brand standards and above all - a strong color experience, Benjamin Moore's focus on Retail and Marketing is AWFUL and the customer experience is just not consistent.

Some of the stores get this and they create AWESOME. Benjamin Moore needs to shoot commercials in these stores and listen to what these types of Dealers have to say. But they don't get it. Seems like they never will.
Pros
12 Paid Holidays a Year
Cons
Cut-Throat Culture Created by VP's Not Concerned with 360 Feedback, Poor High Level Marketing and Retail Strategy
Not the best place anymore
Accountant (Former Employee) –  MontvaleJuly 7, 2013
New Management is replacing all employees, yet managers who guided the employees remain. Co-workers are so nice although with all new staff it will be different. Work life/family balance is a thing of the past. Overtime is huge as workload is overwhelming.
It's terrible that great talent is let go instead of rearranging their responsibilities while they are supportive to the company and products. Hope things look up for this company.
Pros
Free lunch, good benfits, & casual dress; good bonuses
Cons
work life/family balance; great product
No longer a company to plan your future around
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  MidwestJanuary 29, 2014
This was once a family owned company known for its culture and brand. Now it is a corporate entity whose only function is to generate profits for the owner. Current top management has no regard for the human side of business. Lower management has to follow those principals or move on.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No direction or long term plans
Great Experience
Technical Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJNovember 12, 2013
I had great experience working for Benjamin Moore & Co. Company has good work culture and have technical challenging projects.
Pros
Good Work Culture, Free Lunch
Cons
Change in management, outsourcing of IT
Low Stress Environment
Retail Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJOctober 7, 2014
Not much room for mobility, upward movement. Changing senior management lead to a lot of changes and loss of job security
Pros
Free Lunch, great hours
Cons
not much ability for Flex time or working from home
Antiquated Systems, Does Not Progress
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJOctober 20, 2013
I worked at Benjamin Moore over ten years ago. Like many, I was let go. In my department many got let go at their 6 month anniversary after leaving excellent positions to join BM. HR would say "we know there is a problem with that department" yet fail to make any changes in the management where the true problem lies. I see the position I held appearing over and over again with virtually no changes to the job description. When I worked there BM was still using large scale green bar paper!
Pros
Free lunch, good discount on paint, most people are very pleasant.
Cons
Turnover, antiquated systems, awful cubicles
Was a great compnay, too many changes going on all at once. They have lost focus on what is important " the customer."
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond VANovember 11, 2013
With all the changes, the customers have lost confindence in Benjamin Moore. The leadership has made choices, that effect the customers and the people in the field. But the leadership continues to keep their job, and everyone else suffers. 3 CEO's in 2 years. They keep doing the same thing expecting the end result to change.
Pros
salaries, and benefits are great. The associates and customers are great.
Cons
The leadership hasn't changed, only the people in the field.
Easy to be the smartest person in the room
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJJune 16, 2014
This company is successful despite itself. The products are great, but the people working at the company seem to be trying to ruin it. Direction changes every few months. Everyone is embroiled in power struggles to save themselves from being in the next round of layoffs. People talk about the great hours and free lunch... That's nice, but is that a reason to work somewhere??
Pros
decent hours
Cons
lower pay than other companies, nutty corporate politics at all levels, leadership changes direction every few months. LAYOFFS every few weeks.
fun place
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJApril 1, 2016
good place to work. nice and friendly people, hard work. Had to make sure the work was completed before leaving. supervisor were nice and friendly, a little to serious but fair to everyone.
unhealthy work environment
filling (Former Employee) –  johnstownSeptember 23, 2015
Very stressful place to work some of management were bullies to get there numbers out. If you were temporary it took forever to get full-time unless you were in their click. Very few women worked there and thats how they wanted it and it was obvious.And the free lunches were only on occasion not every day or week!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benjamin Moore. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8