Benjamin Moore Employee Reviews

Summary
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  MAOctober 11, 2017
On a typical day at work I would run machines to fill gallons of paint, make sure the machine ran properly and that all inventory was appropriately examined. Nothing new was learned unless a machine broke down, in which I knew how to take care of and fix.
this is a great company but it could had been better with better management
Bilingual Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Flanders, NJSeptember 19, 2017
It is a great company to work for but in my department you can talk until your throat is on the floor. S far I kind of like it. the food is great, and we have free lunch
Pros
benefit, food, lunch and break
Cons
talking a lot
It was a temp job
Project manager (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJAugust 30, 2017
This was a temporary job, but the company is small, and a relaxed work environment. If you are looking for a small niche market company, them BM is for you
A great place to work
Protect Line (Former Employee) –  Pell City, ALAugust 9, 2017
I came to work everyday. It was a very quick paced job. It was a good atmosphere to work in. My fellow employees were great to work with.I wish the job was more than temporary.
A place were most people are good to work with
mixer/forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Make paint in 6000gal - 150gal tanks and portables
Gather materials needed to make paint
Restock materials
Transfer batches
Management was the second worst that I ever worked
Workplace culture was some people can do whatever they want
Doing work that people did not want to do for over 5yrs
Started my career as a BO developer in Software Limited
SAP BO Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moore, NJJanuary 16, 2017
Started my career as a BO developer in Sonata Software. for about an year learned many new things and developed few of the reports based on the client requirement.
Productive and fast pace work enviornment
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 31, 2016
Start the day making coffee for the customers who come in early.
Fill colorant in all the machines, check stock is in designated area, inspect all company vehicles, open ware house bay doors, check inventory, and make sure no debris is on the floor.
I enjoy working for this company because I keep myself steadily busy; I also enjoy helping the customers with their questions/concerns. The hardest part of this job is when days are hectic and customers tend to become inpatient, but we do our best to strive for excellence with each and every customer.
Pros
Every other Friday we are treated for lunch.
Cons
One break throughout the entire day.
Stifling. No opportunity for advancement.
Minion (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 9, 2016
Stick in the past. Legacy employees throughout. Entire staff is middle-aged to old. Senior Management is dishonest. HR is useless. Middle managers are scapegoats. No loyalty or appreciation shown towards employees.
Pros
Free lunch.
excellent job
Mixer (Former Employee) –  Pell City, ALSeptember 14, 2016
typical day at work go in pull formulas to make the paint management was awesome really loved this job the best part of the job was learning how to make paint and what all was actually in paint
Benjamin Moore
Customs Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJAugust 13, 2016
Awesome place to work. Looking for a change right now. The ability to use the talents I have. Manager doesn't challenge me and I feel as though I am stuck.
Pros
Ceo
Cons
Being hourly instead of salary
Good job, poor management
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Landover, MDAugust 13, 2016
The work is easy & simple to process, the management is unstable, all over the place, can't stick to a routine that works, insists on changing things daily.
A wolf in sheeps clothing
Shader (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, NYAugust 4, 2016
Everything seems great when you start. Good benefits, good pay, not bad hrs. Very dependent on new hires to work very hard, yet shows a lot of favoritism to select individuals. Honestly, seems more like high school in the way its managed by shift leads, upper management is excellent though. There is too much of the blame game between all shifts. In actuality only the shift leads are unprofessional with the exception of the first shift lead. Co workers are very friendly and knowledgeable and most work as a team with others. I enjoyed my job as a shader. The job duties, depending on what your hired as, are challenging with a very strong attention to detail and very little room for error, which I loved. If the shift leads were more professional and adult like, it would be an excellent place to work.
Pros
excellent benefits and pay rate
Cons
Shift leads need to be more educated, and act a lot more professional
We call it Modern Slavery.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 25, 2016
Newark plant the worst place to work, new, youngs and inexperienced management run a modern slavery factory.
They only care about the daily numbers.
People worth nothing, easy replacements.
Pros
Still good people there.
Productive Fun Place to work
Customer Service Rep/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Flanders, NJMay 23, 2016
I started as a temp to hire worked for 3-4 moths and moved up quickly. Hire Full-Time and almost immediately moved up taking over fax distribution team. Was selected to participate in new Sap system debugging program due to company integrating SAP from infinium (an ancient data entry program). After most of the bugs were clear I was nominated do to my knowledge of SAP, to take over training position. I trained current representatives that had been there from 2-20 years as well as 15 new employees retaining 12. Personally every day was less then typical because my hours would be changed to meet company needs. I've learned a lot about paint and its distributers. My co-workers were very helpful at 1st after while I was doing most of the helping. Hardest part of the job, to me was keeping everyone up beat to meet specific cut off times for order to be entered and warehouse to receive it in time to have it on truck for next day delivery( which is a Benjamin Moore pledge. Most enjoyable were also co-workers and the 2 managers. they were very knowledgeable and have great personalities.
Pros
Always changes, Great benefits, Great Bonuses, Great Pay, Helpful Co-workers Kelly Pardo and Kim O'brien the Best
Cons
Team leader can be unprofessional at times
Highly political environment, poor culture has developed, much discord in many departments, lots of back stabbing
Mid Level Manager (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJMay 1, 2016
The CEO is never seen in the halls, but he's actually a good guy who most would like to work for. The VP's create a sometimes nasty working environment, many worked their way up from other positions and have know it all attitudes or condescending behaviors, they play favorites and cause a culture of back stabbing. Many mid level people keep to themselves and try to stay out of the politics and they wind up falling out of favor and being killed off.

The company lacks a 360 degree culture that holds the VP's more accountable for their pieces. VP's protect their own vested interests and create a silo effect. They are very skilled at schmoozing the CEO team as well, but they treat their people poorly, except the ones they really get along with.

Benjamin Moore is a tough company to come into and succeed in. Priorities change frequently, none of the data systems talk to each other and the VP's run their areas poorly. There is no commitment to modeling the company's Foundational Beliefs. As a result, the atmosphere is downright dreary and negative at times. Core values should drive an organization. Benjamin Moore has them. They don't walk the talk. Bottom Line Here.

The company's outlook is kind of gloomy. They continue to sell to the Independent Channel but they don't truly listen to the Dealers. People that have been there many years always say things like, "We tried that 20 years ago" or, "There is no shortage of ideas, everyone has lots of ideas."

What this company needs is a team that visits Dealers and truly takes their feedback to the Leadership team and then,
  more... all the VP's are held accountable for following though and really getting things that matter done.

The Dealers are also closing shop or adding competitive lines and one by one, the points of distribution shrink. Recent commercials reflect an Ad campaign that talks about what's in the can and a tiny bit about the Dealers who sell the product.

Shoppers don't care about the technical attributes of the paint that much. Shoppers want color. That's it. Yet, the ads are driven by a Manufacturer who is too focused on what they make and how they make it.

Shoppers also don't really get why Independent Dealers are better. They perceive the Benjamin Moore Paint to be similar to other paint. All things being equal, price is the deciding factor and Benjamin Moore is expensive.

The only thing that would work would be to market and drive the Benjmain Moore colors & educate customers on how these colors can't be copied.

The ads should have a Pintrest, Design Oriented feel. They don't. They stink. Its shocking to see how bad the Marketing Leadership is. One by one the CMO's drive the future of Benjamin Moore further away from that Designer Feel they should gravitate towards.

Meanwhile, competitors focus on what in their ads? Color. And their colors do NOT compare to what Benjamin Moore has to offer.

Females and Couples see neat things on Pintrest and they want to make their homes look like this. But the retail experience at many Dealers is nothing like what they need to experience.

The real problem with Benjamin Moore's future is that Silo's fight each other instead of creating continuity and synergy. Instead of striving to achieve a customer experience driven by look, feel, positive experience, brand standards and above all - a strong color experience, Benjamin Moore's focus on Retail and Marketing is AWFUL and the customer experience is just not consistent.

Some of the stores get this and they create AWESOME. Benjamin Moore needs to shoot commercials in these stores and listen to what these types of Dealers have to say. But they don't get it. Seems like they never will.
Pros
12 Paid Holidays a Year
Cons
Cut-Throat Culture Created by VP's Not Concerned with 360 Feedback, Poor High Level Marketing and Retail Strategy
fun place
Selector/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJApril 1, 2016
good place to work. nice and friendly people, hard work. Had to make sure the work was completed before leaving. supervisor were nice and friendly, a little to serious but fair to everyone.
Best spot i ever worked
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Flanders, NJFebruary 12, 2016
Came in prep up substrates. Worked on Chemist work orders. Went outside to 5 acre Test Field to rate exposures.Learn how to deal openly with others and to tours when needed.
Pros
everything was a plus
Not ready for the I/M market
specialty Coatings Rep. (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 10, 2016
Products and pricing is out of line with market requirements. No technical service to attend jobs while coating. Plus distribution points are out of date. while wait times are unrealistic for market.
Productive and fun place to work.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJFebruary 1, 2016
There have been many changes over the years at this company. Change is good but change is also difficult. New systems, new people and new challenges. The team is now ready to move forward and seeks growth.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Organizational restructure
Company trying hard to reinvent itself
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJJanuary 7, 2016
Family run company that had a culture shock when a corporate CEO was hired. Many people lost their jobs and morale was terrible. There have been changes since and is getting better, but still seems like a company without an identity.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Management, dying business model

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benjamin Moore. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9