Benton Harbor Area Schools Employee Reviews in United States

enjoyed seeing the aha moment on children's faces.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MINovember 9, 2015
Good work place with friendly staff. The rewarding moments are with student aha learning moments. It was my childhood dream to be a teacher and I lived it for 28 years.
Pros
serving children for 28 years.
Cons
loss of pay and benefits.
productive place to work. meet lots of positive people
CSM, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 26, 2015
I love my job. It allow me to meet positive people. I always give 100% to ensure my customer have a great experience and good customer service.
Great co-workers & students
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 7, 2015
The best things about working there were the students and the many co-worker. Being in Technology and management, I was not with students on a regular basis. On my stressful days, you might just find me standing outside a 2nd grade classroom, listening the the students learn, reminding myself the reasons I was there.
Pros
Being able to see the students.
Cons
Wasn't my choice to leave - I was put on layoff
Love working with the staff and students
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMay 19, 2015
A typical day at work would be instructing students. My students were a joy to work with, I taught students reading, math, social studies and science. My co-workers were amazing and a joy to work with as well.
There is room for improvement.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 23, 2015
There is room for improvement with supervisory and superintendent objectives. Health insurance is too high for a single person. Training need to be offered on a yearly basis and there needs to be room for advancement.
I have had good and bad experiences at this place of employment, like any other employee.
Teacher Secondary Levels (Current Employee) –  1421 Pipestone rd Benton Harbor Area SchoolsApril 10, 2015
I typically work an eight hour day. I have taught summer school for several years. I really think the community and economy have suffered so severely in the last fifteen years that the possibilities for improvement and progressive have been stifled. When charter schools proliferated, the public schools funding and student population was decimated leaving a mountain of debt and loss of funding that has diminished the public schools ability to maintain a level of stability. There has been a depression in the district that has moral at all time lows and leadership struggling to find positive starting points. I don't blame anyone particularly, but I will say that the district is not what it was when I was first hired in 2006. The district does the best that it can.
Pros
Working with students can be very rewarding intrinsically
Cons
Salary and Contract are not effectively upheld
Very Unstable and Stressful Work Environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJanuary 24, 2015
This school system is one step away from being taken over by the State of Michigan and teachers are currently stuck at 2009 wages plus a 10% pay cut.
Cons
pay, work environment, instablility
The Leadership Challenge
Dean/Principal (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MichiganAugust 17, 2014
The Benton Harbor Area School district was a challenging yet rewarding place to work. As school principal, my typical day was providing interventions for students and teacher, conducting classroom observations to ensure academic success and meeting with parents and other staff. The most difficult part of the work was "raising student achievement levels." The most enjoyable part of the work was helping students resolve problems and other issues.
Pros
having my summers and holiday off.
Cons
not being able to positively impact the lives of all students.
computer
Computer Proctor (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMarch 27, 2013
working with children was challenging but rewarding. In the computer class we would help the students to improve in areas that they where having problems.
Pros
children
Cons
layed off
Background experience
Second grade Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMarch 3, 2013
On a typical day classes would start off with saying pledge to the flag collecting homework and then reviewing what was done the day before. Then we would have a block schedule where phonics took place. Phonics included reading, spelling writing and grammar. Students would then begin silent readng where they will complete mini book reports to show their level of understanding for the book. Lunch would be next, then break time where students would play outside or in a designated area where adult supervision was there. When students arrive back to class they would participate in Social Studies/Science, then Math. On certain days students would have music and art.
Pros
were challenged in being a student teacher. it made me more confident.
Cons
it was only student teaching

Want to know more about Benton Harbor Area Schools?

Ask a question
Fun and loving environment
Crossing Guard/Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIOctober 28, 2012
A typical day would include working with several students that you grow to love. I learned the art of patience and sharing valuable knowledge with my coworkers and friends. The management at the school was friendly but efficient.My coworkers were hard-working individuals that also loved the job that we were charged to do. The hardest part of the job was learning to handle all the different personalities of the youth attending the schools. However, this was also the most enjoyable part of the job as well.
Pros
flexible work schedule/ split shift
Cons
only part time work
There are good people but my experience was that those were not the people in charge.
Assistant Director - Band (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 28, 2012
Management, when I was there, was unethical and prejudicial. Students are a huge range from wonderful to needy & self destructive. A very frustrating place to work because you can see the potential but the "powers that be" are so blind by their own greed and power struggles that the best people are not chosen for teaching or administrative positions. A big effort is made to make things look good when they are not. I took my position with the naive belief that I could do some good. To individual students I was able to make a difference. The negative culture of the school district itself was to huge for me to impact.
Pros
assorted good people to work with
Cons
leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Benton Harbor Area Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5