Berea College Employee Reviews

student
Seamstress (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 14, 2017
i was just a student worker, not a full time employee. so everyone who went there had to work for them. free tuition was cool, the jobs were average...
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 12, 2017
The values that this place promotes is a gift for humanity. Berea College grants free tuition for all accepted students.
great
Labor office student trainer, Department of Labor (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 17, 2017
The president of Berea College is a great person and I really enjoyed studying at Berea College. I was very fortunate to complete my education there as I got to learn a lot.
Diverse place to be. Friendly people. I worked there because I was going to school there. It's the labor program there. But anyone can work there.
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 3, 2017
I loved working at Berea. Everyone is friendly, and it's a very diverse place. All types of people are there, and everyone accepts everyone. Berea is a very liberal college. I don't know much about a real day working there, I only worked 15 hours a week. I didn't actually WORK there, just worked there. I was a student at Berea, and every student has to have a job on campus to attend Berea College. I was only making 6.25 an hour because I was a student. Students don't make minimum wage, so taxes aren't a thing. I'm sure if you have a actual job at berea because you aren't going there as a student, you would actually make real money.
Productive and intensive workplace with lots of people-interaction
Educational Technology Assistant, Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 26, 2016
This job has offered me many opportunities for advancement in positions and pay over the past four years, moving from Educational Technology Assistant to Student Manager at Berea College. I have had the ability to work on several specific jobs in this department, interact with a large part of the student body, and learn how to better navigate problem solving and interpersonal interactions each day. I have greatly appreciated my fellow co-workers and the opportunities we all have had to improve and gain skills through our work here.
good...but
Caterer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time well enough but they neglected almost all of the schools regulations.The students would get blamed if they were worked too much. But it was a good enough job. enjoyed the events we would partake in and my coworkers were nice enough at times.
Pros
free food
Cons
neglect school guidlines
Work Study Program
Manager of Convocations (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 10, 2016
Berea College provided me with the opportunity to graduate with almost no student debt through their work study program. I absolutely loved being able to focus on my administrative skills while also studying.
Pros
Tuition
Education: Behind the Scenes
UPWARD BOUND TUTOR/COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 15, 2016
Working with the Berea College Upward Bound program was one of my work study positions while in college. At the time, I was my intended major was Math Education, and this job kind of allowed to get some work experience in the education field.

I was familiar with the Upward Bound program having been a participant in the program myself. This program was a lot smaller than the one I was in and the students came from multiple different counties across Kentucky.

I had the pleasure of working with some of the kids individually, some in group sessions, and I did a lot of lesson and activity planning as well as filing, documenting, and reviewing their work in their personal files.

The staff I worked with was incredibly supportive and tried to make as many moments as possible teachable. There were some times when there was miscommunication, but that happens to everyone.
Usually Great Work Environment But Can Be Demanding With Course Load
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 8, 2016
*I worked in the Berea College Library

-The work environment was great. All the staff were wonderful and kind

-The hardest part of the job is that it can be monotonous

-Greatest perk is that there were lots of office parties and chances to get a free meal (usually lunch) and the was always a cuppa coffee
Pros
Free food, great staff
Cons
work can be monotonus
Berea College is a unique place.
Curator Aid (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYSeptember 8, 2016
Berea College is a private work/study program, so all students had to work for the college. Depending on the contract students are only allowed to work 10 hours a week, which was majority average. Berea college is unique because it pays their students unlike other work/study programs, but it was very much below minimum wages, but the institution pays for most of the education. It is a "free" college, so that is how it works. But after a year of working food service during freshman year I landed a job in the art galleries, and I love it! my boss was fantastic, co workers were amazing, and I loved my job. Everyone was kind and respectful, and it was a wonderful community. I handled art works, transportation, installation, de-installing, and making sure the gallery was safe, on top of other responsibilities not mentioned in the job description. But, as stated earlier, I loved it.
Work study at institution
Assistant Housekeeping Student Manager (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 25, 2016
This is a school I currently attend that requires every student on campus to have a labor position. I have been working as a facilities assistant since I started school. I have been promoted to student manager, which doesn't require me to do as much as other students in the department. I just over see the building that the department clean everyday. It is not an hard job at all. Just require a few hours taking out of my busy schedule everyday, which includes classes, homework, studying, etc.
It was my school and my employer, so there wasn't a life part in work/life balance
Spanish Department Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 9, 2016
It's an environment I hold with nostalgia. I loved the academics, and my jobs there were constant and typically not very stressful. I worked in the library and the Foreign Languages department and I would shelve books, help customers, grade papers. It was all very nice. There are a few political hitches here and there, but it was an overall good experience.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Poor pay
Very friendly atomsphere
Economics and Business Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 15, 2016
I worked and learned a lot from fellow coworkers and students, as well as from professors. It's a very interesting job. I was able to study and work at the same time. The college accommodated my class schedule.
Wonderful place, stay motivated!
STAFF MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 27, 2016
Being a Berea College Staff member was great in many ways. But the reality is that you don't make much. If you love the community, then the low living cost makes things easier, but be wary of this penny-pinching $1.2 Billion endowed organization.
Pros
Great people and incredible mission
Cons
Non-Profit pay.
Excellent
Guest Lecturer for Health and Human Performance (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 4, 2016
Fantastic experience working with students and staff. Great programs that assist students beyond the classroom. Excellent educational programs along with many other degrees offered,
Cracker Barrel
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 15, 2015
It was a good place to work especially as a young adult where the culture was built for people just like me. Some nights were long but for the most part it was worth it.
Great for students, a lousy option for full time employees
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 23, 2015
This is a great opportunity for students with no way out. I respect the work of the talent they attract to the school who actually believe what the college markets.

But it's hard to extend patience to any organization who does not display

integrity (a willingness to connect their actions and resources with their organizational mission),

a willingness to create a safe, healthy professional organization (stress related medical costs are an institutional norm and often cost full time employees more than what they actually make, and they've had several employee deaths in the past 3 years whose conditions originated and worsened with no accountability shown from the administration),

or any willingness to improve the situation through their practices.
They often hire grads with little to no experience outside to staff their operating functions. The college just hired an HR director (in 2015) due to a series of unfortunate incidents which called for an increase in oversight into their labor relations practices.

I would not recommend this job to any employee who wants to improve their professional reputation.

There was also no onboarding for legal compliance issues, mostly because they hire administrators who either don't have or actively choose to ignore the health and safety of their faculty, staff and students. I couldn't even courteously ask to discuss how those needs could be addressed without a senior administrator forcing me to choose between silence and the risk of termination. They just continuously shuffle positions around when they find themselves in
  more... legal trouble and shift liability to inexperienced people who have never filled the roles before while allowing the offenders to get off scott-free.

Anyone who values their health and integrity would do well to steer clear of this organization.
Great enviornment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 27, 2015
I only worked as a student leader there so I can only speak from that perspective. The job i had was enjoyable I just wish I would have had better contact with leadership above me and the team that helped me to perform my job so I could understand the operations a little better.
Pros
Friendly working enviornment
Cons
Not much networking
Berea Colllege review
Student support (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 18, 2015
I work in the student life area and right now there is a lot of uncertainty and confusion. Flexible and the students are wonderful. Lacking direction and leadership tho.
Great place to build skills and confidence for a registered nurse
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KyJune 17, 2015
Berea College helped me to build on my skills as a registered nurse by allowing me to teach lowerclassmen in the Nurse Skills Lab.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berea College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2