Berea College Employee Reviews

No place on Earth like BC
General Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, KYDecember 31, 2017
I love BC! I did not want to leave. Everyone is loved and accepted there. Diverse and open minded. I felt like I was at home there and hope to go back one day.
Pros
Everyone welcome
Cons
you will not want to leave
productive place to work and very worth while
Community Literacy Navigator (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYDecember 26, 2017
I received back more from my work than I could have ever given. I met the most giving people with real stories to tell about their life experiences. The workplace culture was very positive and teamwork was very important. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the families in the community.
Pros
The work environment
Cons
It is on a grant which is temporary
Only worked there because i was a student. Hated it.
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 3, 2017
I really hated working here but the managers dont do anything so its not that bad. Was only getting on average 10-12 hours a week. Didn't pay well at all either.
Family Friendly Department
Budget Analyst - Job Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 6, 2017
Working in a fast paced deadline driven grant writing department within an tuition free liberal arts college. The missions are personally a perfect match for me.
Pros
Awesome Work Family
Cons
Compensation is low
Very Stable workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 6, 2017
Berea College is a very stable work environment. It has one of the best benefit packages in the field. I highly recommend them for employment seekers.
Stressful workplace and low income.
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYNovember 3, 2017
Berea College is a work-study organization which pays its students $5 an hour at a contracted 10 hours a week. It is not enough for me to maintain a family and continue my education; therefore, I’ve decided to leave.
Pros
Free meals, Free housing
Cons
No breaks, 10 hours a week, $5 an hour, pay period every 4 weeks.
Fast-paced, independent thinking and manual requirement, wide ranging opportunity for personal growth
Gifts & Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 11, 2017
As a continuous learning environment built upon Berea’s Great Commitments and Common Learning Goals, Berea College expects all workers “to be active learners, workers and servers,” and seeks to be a place where the Christian values of human compassion, dignity, and equity are expressed and lived.
Therefore, workers are expected to:
Exhibit enthusiasm for learning
Act with integrity and caring
Value all people
Work as a team
Serve others
Encourage plain and sustainable living
Celebrate work well done
Pros
Paid breaks, hour lunch, many staff cross-training opportunities
Cons
Not enough staff for demands of team area.
Student Worker
Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 11, 2017
While working here part time as a student, we gained many skills and experience that would be useful after graduation. None of the rest of this really matters.
College style working enviorment
Grounds Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 27, 2017
You work the hours needed to be enrolled at the college. That being said, the hours are flexible, your supervisors are understanding, and everyone else is in the same boat. the pay is low, but the rest is going towards your degree, so no complaints. As for benefits, well its part time really so none expected. Finding the job you want here can be difficult, and some are better than others, but in the long run it all works itself out.
This institution is wonderful
Social Media Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJuly 13, 2017
I think this school is a great place and provides excellent work experience for their students. I would highly recommend people to apply at Berea as it opens the doors to many opportunities.
Pros
Calm and cooperative staff
Cons
No cons
Good energy, friendly, and good coworkers.
Art Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 23, 2017
The work is demanding but not hard, good atmosphere and people make work less taxing. Pay is decent and hours are good, you do need to have a valid driver's license.
Pros
environment, people, low stress
Cons
not always the best management
Great School with a Great Mission
PAYROLL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 23, 2017
I was proud to be a part of the mission of Berea. I saw many students leave with their lives changed during my tenure there. I had the opportunity to learn a great deal about my time there.
Great Development Experience
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 19, 2017
Berea College provided great hands on software development experience while I worked for a degree in computer and information science. I would recommend Anyone who was interested in this line of work to start here.
Pros
Plenty of exposure and opportunity to hone your skill set ( oh, and there is coffee)
Cons
coffee may be too available
Loved it
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJune 14, 2017
It was one truly amazing place to work and live. Every employee was a joy to work with, and they were very supportive of my choice to move on with my future endeavors.
Great college!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 28, 2017
This is a wonderful college. I had this job as work study while I was a student there, every student admitted to Berea gets free tuition and this is due to the students having a few hours of work study for the college every day.
Easy hours and good people.
Athletic Events Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 12, 2017
The hours here are very easy to get. Every student has a job with the college. Hence the work study program. Many jobs are available and I'm glad I worked where I did with them for the past four years.
Great environment.
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 11, 2017
The work environment is amazing. The switchboard was in the Public Safety office when I was working there and all of the people were easy to talk to and would go out of their way to help you.
Great place for a career
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 22, 2017
I enjoy the commitment to service. It's an environment that values its students and employees. I feel appreciated and treated well. I've had excellent supervisors.
Very nice place to work
Special Collections Worker (Former Employee) –  101 Chestnut StApril 10, 2017
A typical workday involved customer service, and office type work. The best part of the job was the people I worked with. The culture there was very team oriented.
student
Seamstress (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 14, 2017
i was just a student worker, not a full time employee. so everyone who went there had to work for them. free tuition was cool, the jobs were average...