Berea College Employee Reviews in United States

It was my school and my employer, so there wasn't a life part in work/life balance
Spanish Department Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYApril 9, 2016
It's an environment I hold with nostalgia. I loved the academics, and my jobs there were constant and typically not very stressful. I worked in the library and the Foreign Languages department and I would shelve books, help customers, grade papers. It was all very nice. There are a few political hitches here and there, but it was an overall good experience.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Poor pay
Very friendly atomsphere
Economics and Business Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYFebruary 15, 2016
I worked and learned a lot from fellow coworkers and students, as well as from professors. It's a very interesting job. I was able to study and work at the same time. The college accommodated my class schedule.
Wonderful place, stay motivated!
STAFF MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 27, 2016
Being a Berea College Staff member was great in many ways. But the reality is that you don't make much. If you love the community, then the low living cost makes things easier, but be wary of this penny-pinching $1.2 Billion endowed organization.
Pros
Great people and incredible mission
Cons
Non-Profit pay.
Excellent
Guest Lecturer for Health and Human Performance (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 4, 2016
Fantastic experience working with students and staff. Great programs that assist students beyond the classroom. Excellent educational programs along with many other degrees offered,
Cracker Barrel
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 15, 2015
It was a good place to work especially as a young adult where the culture was built for people just like me. Some nights were long but for the most part it was worth it.
Great for students, a lousy option for full time employees
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYOctober 23, 2015
This is a great opportunity for students with no way out. I respect the work of the talent they attract to the school who actually believe what the college markets.

But it's hard to extend patience to any organization who does not display

integrity (a willingness to connect their actions and resources with their organizational mission),

a willingness to create a safe, healthy professional organization (stress related medical costs are an institutional norm and often cost full time employees more than what they actually make, and they've had several employee deaths in the past 3 years whose conditions originated and worsened with no accountability shown from the administration),

or any willingness to improve the situation through their practices.
They often hire grads with little to no experience outside to staff their operating functions. The college just hired an HR director (in 2015) due to a series of unfortunate incidents which called for an increase in oversight into their labor relations practices.

I would not recommend this job to any employee who wants to improve their professional reputation.

There was also no onboarding for legal compliance issues, mostly because they hire administrators who either don't have or actively choose to ignore the health and safety of their faculty, staff and students. I couldn't even courteously ask to discuss how those needs could be addressed without a senior administrator forcing me to choose between silence and the risk of termination. They just continuously shuffle positions around when they find themselves in
  more... legal trouble and shift liability to inexperienced people who have never filled the roles before while allowing the offenders to get off scott-free.

Anyone who values their health and integrity would do well to steer clear of this organization.
Great enviornment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 27, 2015
I only worked as a student leader there so I can only speak from that perspective. The job i had was enjoyable I just wish I would have had better contact with leadership above me and the team that helped me to perform my job so I could understand the operations a little better.
Pros
Friendly working enviornment
Cons
Not much networking
Berea Colllege review
Student support (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 18, 2015
I work in the student life area and right now there is a lot of uncertainty and confusion. Flexible and the students are wonderful. Lacking direction and leadership tho.
Great place to build skills and confidence for a registered nurse
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KyJune 17, 2015
Berea College helped me to build on my skills as a registered nurse by allowing me to teach lowerclassmen in the Nurse Skills Lab.
Great workplace where you also rest your head
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 17, 2015
A typical day at work would be me creating something for the dorm, that will gain the interest of the residents. Talking to the residents in my suite when I wake up, and answering any questions they have, are a typical day.
Great Environment
Digital imaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Berea, KentuckyMay 1, 2015
Truly teaches students to be self-reliant and for the rigors of the working world. A great institution that has a storied history.
Good experience
USDA Campus Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 10, 2015
Work to improve college health and nutrition. I have to opportunity to start new programs. It is fairly new, but has a great outlook.
Great
Chemistry Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 25, 2015
I love Berea College and will miss my time spent here. My supervisors were nice and my colleagues were amazing.
College Health Service
CMA (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 23, 2014
I loved working with the students, faculty and staff. Very nice people to work with. I enjoyed coming into work everyday. My co-workers and Doctors I worked with there were very friendly and became some of my closest friends. I hate that the practice was sold out cause I would have been there til retirement.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not keeping staff updated on upcoming events
Institution with high aims
Student Affairs Professional (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYSeptember 7, 2014
-institution committed to providing education to students of limited resources (great mission)
-able to take on new tasks/projects to expand your experience and advance your skills
Pros
mission centered, committed service to students, great place to get experience
Cons
expensive health care, small town, nepotism, no room for advancement, salary ranges
The Greatest Place on Earth
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYAugust 10, 2014
Berea College is one of the major reasons that hope still exists in this world. This college gives extraordinary opportunities to people who deserve from across the world, and preaches a living towards a better world.
work study program
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  berea, kyAugust 8, 2014
great place to work. students work minimum 10 hours a week. upto 20 hours
fun working with Berea
Educational Technology (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYMay 16, 2014
they are there for the students and want you to succeed. this is a student work type of college where the students work to pay for college. this college make it easy for students to to succeed and also treated their employees with great respect. the employees also get paid a lot more than similar colleges.
non exempt employee
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 20, 2014
hardest part of the job is the self-evaluation. i typically am harder on myself than my supervisor is
you are expected to do well and strive to achieve and do more than your job title although it is not required.
working with children is the best part
co-workers are usually helpful to each other although there is the gossip that infects all workplaces but we all tend to get past it
It is a very productive work environment that enables you to learn new skills that would be benificial in the work force
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Berea, KYMarch 11, 2014
A typical day at work would be me communicating with my residents. Planning campus wide and dorm events to ensure that my residents have a enriching college experience. My job is to also make sure that the cleanliness of the dorm is maintained as well as the well being of my residents. I place maintenance orders to have broken equipment in the dorm fixed so that it does not cause a safety hazard for my residents. I also work as part of a team to manage and maintain the dorm that I work for.

4.2