Bergner's

Bergner's Employee Reviews

Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Galesburg, ILJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Customers, Acknowledged when I succeed, friendly co-workers and managers
Cons: Not enough hours. I live on my own so it is hard to work these shifts and pay bills.
When I opened for the day, I open the register I will be working at. I count the drawer to make sure the right amount is in, sometimes I request for change to make the day go easier. I clean fitting rooms, put new merchandise on the racks. Help customers with needs such as purchases, returns, orders and payments. When I close at night, I recover the area that has been messed up throughout the day. I make tickets for clothes, and sometimes set a sale for the next day. I do it at a fast past but efficient. I help customers also that come in. As I close the register, I count how much is supposed to be in the register for the next day, and remove the money that was made during the day and take it to the back to the cash office.
Ok. Great place to begin.
Shoes Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJune 3, 2015
Pros: Great management
Cons: Not very flexible with schedules during schools
It was a well rounded area where you can learn customer service skills very well. It was a great way to learn fast. It was hard scheduling since I have a 3 year old and going to school full-time. They were great for a little while then they were getting agitated about it. Even after filling out the proper paperwork to ensure it would work
bergners
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, ILMay 29, 2015
It was a great company to work for overall. i was young when I had this positions and they were extremely resonable with pay and scheduling.
Great co-workers
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee), Peoria, ILMay 21, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: pay/ commission
Very nice employees to work with. Love learning jewelry. Customers are friendly and it has brought some new challenges into my life which I enjoy!
Don't expect much.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Peru, ILApril 28, 2015
Pros: Good discount.
Cons: No hours. Low pay. Won't give extra hours but keep hiring. All employees are "short hour" (0-20)
Been working here since the holidays and got hired on after. During the holidays it is great. Expect an overload of hours, but once the holidays are over expect nothing. First week after Christmas myself as well as most other employees were not the the schedule for about a week and a half. This is considered a "short hour" position. Short hour employees are NOT gaurenteed ANY hours. I believe the range is 0-20 per week, yet they call on all of your days off asking if you can come in and cover. At our store in Peru, IL there is one full time employee for each department that will get 30-40 hours per week and about 7-8 ALL short hour employees per department that do not get ANY hours yet they keep hiring people! Stop hiring people and give the employees that want to work hours and at least bump them up to part time where 25 hours is gaurenteed! I have been asking for more hours since I started and I may get a couple extra days at first and then NOTHING! It is not unusual to have a 3-4 hour shift for the entire week. They over employ during certain sales where they expect to be swamped and have every single employee from every department working and we are not all needed! Two registers tops open in each department with 5-6 workers at a time? Not good cost management. Two people at the registers with one wondering the floor/cleaning up is plenty of not even too many at times. We catch ourselves just getting in each other's way or with nothing to do because everything is done/clean and registers busy. It's a waste of our time and their money. They over budget and have to cut everyone's – more... hours because they can't afford to pay anyone. Don't try working here without a second job. I started in one department and got sent to another department that would "give me more hours" because they didn't need any extra help inn the department I was working.... They hired 4 people, fired 2, and another 2 quit after I left that department... Started in the the new department... Hired another 2 ppl, one quit and they "need" another. NO YOU DONT. YOU HAVE PEOPLE WANTING AND WILLING TO WORK FULL TIME AND YOUR GIVING 10 HOURS A WEEK TO 8 DIFFERENT PEOPLE! I am a business graduate and I understand there may be rules or regulations or tax breaks for a certain about of employees and what status they are but cut your losses and keep the people willing and wanting to work. Maybe people will stop leaving. – less
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), bloomingtonApril 27, 2015
Fun place to work. It was a little unorganized. everyone did their own thing, but ot the job done. didn't really get to know the managers. however they kee a lot of seasonal employee for full time or part time.
my first job
Retail Associate (Former Employee), peoria,ilApril 16, 2015
i like it it had got me speed wheeirn i work.i work alot got a good pay.it was first cool job.i gain friends working their.also learing stuff staying late.
Nice place
Shoe Consultant (Former Employee), Bloomington, ILApril 8, 2015
Pros: Break Room and discounts
Cons: Bad hours
Just bad hours and some not so nice employees. It was just a min. wage job at the end of the day. Fun environment though. Liked working the busy times because I was on commission, thus I made more.
Bergner's was a great place to work until they cut my hours and then I was forced to quit.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peoria, ILMarch 28, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: no insurance and low-pay
Bergner's was a great work environment because I enjoyed all my coworkers and found our teamwork to be like family. My managers were willing to listen and they genuinely cared about me and my coworkers.
Low pay and not enough hours
Sales associate (Former Employee), Peoria, ILFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: potlucks, co-workers
Cons: corporate rules and regulations, pay, hours
Bergner's offers minimum wage, just like any other retailer, and that shows how much they appreciate their employees. There was constant stress because you have to ask for credits and emails, tell customers about the online survey, and talk about any promotions or sales when a customer made a purchase. Customers do not like this. I liked most of my coworkers, and even the managers; however, there is too much corporate pressure on the store for anyone to like working there. The pay is low, and the best workers would get a .25 raise a year. Hours would be cut for everyone, but new people would still be getting hired. Okay for a high school student or just as a first job, but avoid if you can.
I stayed busy and productive while working there.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Springfield, ILDecember 16, 2014
Pros: employee discount, customer service experience
Cons: pay, short breaks.
A typical day at Bergner's was me doing recovery,and that's straightening up the sales floor making sure everything looks nice and neat,and also ringed up merchandise at the cash register. From working at Bergner's I learned to work at a steady pace and I learned how to deal with rude and not so happy customers. My co-workers there at bergner's are friendly and very helpful.The hardest part of the job to me would be doing all that I can do but still not making a customer happy or satisfied, for example if a customer is looking for a certain jacket and they ask me if we have it and I try to help find it for them and I don't, It would be hard to me because as a sales associate we're suppose to make customers happy and I would not of been able to do that.The most enjoyable part of the job would putting a smile on customers faces.
Looking for a new job ASAP
Shoes Assc. (Current Employee), Sterling, IL.April 17, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: very unprofessional.
I started working at Bergners in Sterling, IL In September of 2012. Loved it!! The manager of my department was leaving and the store was hiring for a new one. Well, the one they brought in was fine at first. I don't judge, gave her the benefit without a doubt. After awhile things just kept getting worse. She was telling me to do things wrong and I would try and tell her it wasn't right without being rude or anything, and she woupd argue. Very passive aggressive. She would constantly talk bad about other co workers, especially when they would mess up on something. And of coarse, everyone told the other person what she said. Black friday came around this last year and she got super upset cause I told our manager od the store she wasn't letting us get our lunches and I got wrote up for basically bad mouthing her and disrepecting her when I never said a word to her! Ever since I've been getting wrote up for the craziest things. Love my co workers and most of management. But everyday its more drama and unprofessional. Even corperate has been called and nothing has been changed. Would NEVER work for that company again.
Great place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Forsyth, IlDecember 21, 2013
Pros: discounts, friendly co-workers
I was part-time for a few months then was offered a job in cosmetics. Everyone was duper freindly.
Good job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Forsyth, ILAugust 14, 2013
I worked here a couple times seasonal and then got hired on the summer before my senior year. I enjoyed this job, the pay wasn't anything special, at the time I did not look into benefits, but they were always willing to work with my availability while I was in school.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sterling, ILAugust 12, 2013
Pros: customer service
Cons: hard to advance from within, lack of communication from management
I would try to sell merchandise in my department, either to people in the store shopping or by building my clientelle by making phone calls to let people know about special events in the department.
I learned to enhance my customer service skills working in a specialty department.
My co-workers were always there for each other and became great friends.
The most enjoyable part was helping someone find that special piece that was exactly what they were looking for to make a statement.
Productive and provides flexible hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Peoria, IllinoisAugust 7, 2013
I enjoyed working there. A typical day in the home department was simple. Ring up customers, keep the area clean, place delivery orders if needed by a customer, and go to other departments if needed. Management kept everything in order and were flexible. My co-workers were nice and loved helping any way the could.
The hardest part of the job was doing management orders when it was a big order. The most enjoyable part was helping the customers.
Dock, carry outs,painting,general maintenance etc....
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Springfield, ILFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: added greatly to versatility
Everything from unloading trucks to cleaning baby diapers out of dressing rooms and lighting
Sold fine jewelry over holiday season
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Machesney Park, ILFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: enjoyed helping people find just what they were looking for.
Cons: had to come in at 5 am to get the department set up the day's sale.
I worked over the Christmas season and enjoyed helping customers find the gift they had in mind. I frequently opened this section of the store, including removing jewelry from the safes and stocking the displays. Did regular jewelry counts and inventory. After the holidays, I did well that enough the company, which was actually Finley Fine Jewelry, said they order some business cards for me, however I was offered a job in Medical Records and decided to leave. I work well independently and don't mind this type of responsibility, but after the holiday sales season and year-end inventory, there were almost customers.. I straightened and organized all the drawers and cleaned all the jewelry displays and eventually there was nothing to do, but stand around and wait for customers to come. I like to be busy and wished I could leave the jewelry counter and help the Bergner's employees stock the selves.
Min wage pay, few hours, good discount
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sterling, ILJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: flexible
Cons: pay, hours
I like my co-workers. They schedule around things very well but require requests off 30 days in advance. They pay min. wage and don't give raises. I've been there for 2 years and I'm still making min. wage.
Productive work environment with too many downsides
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Pekin, ILOctober 6, 2012
Pros: potlucks, payment for each credit received over credit goal, easy to request days off
Cons: poor employee appreciation, 12-14 hour black friday shifts, small window for advancement or raises
I worked at my local Bergner's for almost three years and received a total of $.20 in raises for my whole employment period, even after being recognized as one of the hardest workers the store had. A typical work day consists of being aware and helping customers who are shopping through your department, running registers and handling cash, keeping up with try-ons (if your department requires), prepare and put out truck from the previous shipment, set sales and move fixtures. The management is not the best at my particular store and offer minimal help to their employees. Each employee is required to open 4-8 credit cards per month and it is stressed every day to reach that goal. The hardest part of the job is attempting to complete as many task as possible by the end of the day with a clean fitting room and well kept department. The people who work there are nice, but it's nothing extraordinary.

About Bergner's

Bergner's traditional department stores have been in business for over 100 years. We are a member of The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc., – Read more

Bergner's Salaries