Bergner's Employee Reviews

I've only worked there for a couple of months
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 19, 2017
They started me off on one of the busiest days of the year which was around thanksgiving and Christmas since I was seasonal. That was my first job so I had no work experience but it was easy to learn how to do stuff around there.
I enjoyed my job
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 22, 2017
I liked my job an the people I worked with. I loved the time I worked an the details of my job. I liked the experience it gave me.
No room for advancement and low pay
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Low paying positions with no room for advancement. You will learn to do everything within the store but it will never be good enough.
Easy workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 18, 2017
I worked as a a sales associate and i was mostly on the cash register. some of my responsibilities included making returns, organizing clothes, changing out and hanging up sale signs, opening and closing the registers. Sometimes it can be fast paced, especially during the holiday season. I liked all of my co workers and managers for the most part.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 23, 2016
Nobody understands how to run a business. The business is a joke. Possibly the worst run company not only in America but possibly the world.Do Not Apply
Pros
Cons
To many to list
not a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 23, 2016
boring most the daily duties are the same throughout the weeks and the pay is horrible, unless if its during the holiday time.
Pros
10% off within the food court
Cons
no hours
fun but low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 21, 2016
It was great place to start working but not a great place to stay. Advancement is limited and the pay is not great. Though a person has to remember it is retail and pay scales are not large within that working category
Pros
people are a blast
Cons
pay is low
Not to great
Cosmetics Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockford cherrvaleJune 26, 2016
I spent several years working for this company which with a decline in payroll and a reduction in staff with having the same demands makes it impossible to be very productive.
To many mgrs and no support . Store mgmt never helped but would take your sales
Pros
Mall
Cons
Turn over negative mgmt impact. Bad moral . Mgmt sucks
A Challenging and Fast Paced Environment!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 6, 2016
My typical day at work included running both the Home and Intimates Departments. Assuring the employees knew the tasks they were to finish for the day and handling any problems they may have with accomplishing those tasks. Also during each shift I was Manager on Duty for half the shift which included handling both customer and employee issues throughout the entire store, opening or closing the store. If opening holding the opening meeting making sure each department had notes from that meeting so they may pass on to other employees relieving them of there shifts. I learned many things from this position probably the most beneficial was the ability to organize, determine importance and delegate tasks. During my time at Bergner's we went through 3 Managers so I didn't get to work closely with them for long but one of those managers was very available and believed in coaching not just supposing you knew what was being said. I got along very well with all my co-workers, we all had similar issues and were able to work with each other as a team. The hardest part of the job, like most retail businesses today, our staff was usually shorthanded because of budgets, and it was difficult to get all the things done that needed to be done and also give great customer service. The most enjoyable part was helping and meeting customers and having them walk away happy. Working with the associates and co-workers was also a delight.
Pros
Being able to accomplish things and look back at the work my team and I did
Cons
Not enough employees to get the amount of work done
Typical large retail organization
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 6, 2016
Overall it was an okay place to work. A typical day consisted of always building new customer base for a cosmetic company by approaching people while they shop to come and try a sample of make-up. I learned how to build customer profiles and customer service. Management was always watching you. Co-workers where a good group of people. Hardest part of job was keeping track of 100's of products, heavy lifting on occasion, and the very best part of the job was the great customers I was able to work with..
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long working hours always standing, extended hours and late nights

Want to know more about Bergner's?

Ask a question
Worst Job EVER!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILApril 27, 2016
Horrible management, raises based on how many credit accounts you open, no respect or acknowledgement for your hard work.
Pros
Some nice co-workers.
Cons
Basically everything else.
retail is difficult
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 31, 2015
Balance cash drawers. Process tickets on Ticket Master. Multi-task with too many job responsibilities. Deal with the public. Wrap presents. Many duties and very little compensation.
Pros
Liked people I worked with.
Culture of Fear
FINE JEWELRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 15, 2015
Working at Bergner's was a mixed bag. On one hand most of the people I worked with were great. The majority of the management team on the other hand was a different story. Most managers were not qualified for their position and because of this they often praised those who were the least productive and ignore or put down their best workers in my opinion out of fear of someone taking their position. I worked for the company for just over ten years and witnessed this culture slowly increase over the years. I'm sure some locations are better than others. If you are aware of a store with high turnover of associates I highly recommend steering clear.
Pros
Employee discount, Clean stores
Very unprofessional, non chalant
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 13, 2015
I feel like the managers don't support us and keep positive attitudes like they should, and that's why they are losing a lot of workers. They expect so much from us with little effort of concern. The hardest part of working there is when there are no customers, my job is very dry during week days and my job is always expecting for us to be doing things when the tasks are already finished. As far as the co-workers, I haven't had any problems with any of them, I can't speak for everyone else but I think all of them are nice and easy to get along with and the ones that aren't I don't really have to worry about because it's all about who I'm surrounding myself with. I enjoy working with all of my customers and I think that's the best part of my job because they are also very nice.
Pros
Extra money for credit apps
Cons
Unprofessional
Nice environment to work in
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 28, 2015
Co-workers were great and friendly as well as most of the managers. My counter manager was amazing. There was a ton of responsibility working with real jewels. I had to come in an hour early to put everything from the safes back into the showcases and stay 30 minutes later than everyone else to put the jewelry back into all of the safes and make sure everything was secured.
Pros
My counter manager was great making sure I got off specific days for events and appointments.
Cons
Can't go to the bathroom without a manager taking over, no breaks except for lunch.
Good Company
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  bloomington, IllinoisJuly 16, 2015
Good company. Fun to work with. Co workers are fun to work with. Very enjoyable job. Managment is great. Learned alot about customer service.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 10, 2015
When I opened for the day, I open the register I will be working at. I count the drawer to make sure the right amount is in, sometimes I request for change to make the day go easier. I clean fitting rooms, put new merchandise on the racks. Help customers with needs such as purchases, returns, orders and payments. When I close at night, I recover the area that has been messed up throughout the day. I make tickets for clothes, and sometimes set a sale for the next day. I do it at a fast past but efficient. I help customers also that come in. As I close the register, I count how much is supposed to be in the register for the next day, and remove the money that was made during the day and take it to the back to the cash office.
Pros
Customers, Acknowledged when I succeed, friendly co-workers and managers
Cons
Not enough hours. I live on my own so it is hard to work these shifts and pay bills.
Ok. Great place to begin.
Shoes Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 3, 2015
It was a well rounded area where you can learn customer service skills very well. It was a great way to learn fast. It was hard scheduling since I have a 3 year old and going to school full-time. They were great for a little while then they were getting agitated about it. Even after filling out the proper paperwork to ensure it would work
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not very flexible with schedules during schools
bergners
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 29, 2015
It was a great company to work for overall. i was young when I had this positions and they were extremely resonable with pay and scheduling.
Great co-workers
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 21, 2015
Very nice employees to work with. Love learning jewelry. Customers are friendly and it has brought some new challenges into my life which I enjoy!
Pros
good people
Cons
pay/ commission

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bergner's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6