Bergner's Employee Reviews in United States

A Challenging and Fast Paced Environment!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 6, 2016
My typical day at work included running both the Home and Intimates Departments. Assuring the employees knew the tasks they were to finish for the day and handling any problems they may have with accomplishing those tasks. Also during each shift I was Manager on Duty for half the shift which included handling both customer and employee issues throughout the entire store, opening or closing the store. If opening holding the opening meeting making sure each department had notes from that meeting so they may pass on to other employees relieving them of there shifts. I learned many things from this position probably the most beneficial was the ability to organize, determine importance and delegate tasks. During my time at Bergner's we went through 3 Managers so I didn't get to work closely with them for long but one of those managers was very available and believed in coaching not just supposing you knew what was being said. I got along very well with all my co-workers, we all had similar issues and were able to work with each other as a team. The hardest part of the job, like most retail businesses today, our staff was usually shorthanded because of budgets, and it was difficult to get all the things done that needed to be done and also give great customer service. The most enjoyable part was helping and meeting customers and having them walk away happy. Working with the associates and co-workers was also a delight.
Pros
Being able to accomplish things and look back at the work my team and I did
Cons
Not enough employees to get the amount of work done
Typical large retail organization
Cosmetic Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 6, 2016
Overall it was an okay place to work. A typical day consisted of always building new customer base for a cosmetic company by approaching people while they shop to come and try a sample of make-up. I learned how to build customer profiles and customer service. Management was always watching you. Co-workers where a good group of people. Hardest part of job was keeping track of 100's of products, heavy lifting on occasion, and the very best part of the job was the great customers I was able to work with..
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long working hours always standing, extended hours and late nights
Worst Job EVER!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILApril 27, 2016
Horrible management, raises based on how many credit accounts you open, no respect or acknowledgement for your hard work.
Pros
Some nice co-workers.
Cons
Basically everything else.
retail is difficult
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 31, 2015
Balance cash drawers. Process tickets on Ticket Master. Multi-task with too many job responsibilities. Deal with the public. Wrap presents. Many duties and very little compensation.
Pros
Liked people I worked with.
Culture of Fear
FINE JEWELRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 15, 2015
Working at Bergner's was a mixed bag. On one hand most of the people I worked with were great. The majority of the management team on the other hand was a different story. Most managers were not qualified for their position and because of this they often praised those who were the least productive and ignore or put down their best workers in my opinion out of fear of someone taking their position. I worked for the company for just over ten years and witnessed this culture slowly increase over the years. I'm sure some locations are better than others. If you are aware of a store with high turnover of associates I highly recommend steering clear.
Pros
Employee discount, Clean stores
Very unprofessional, non chalant
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 13, 2015
I feel like the managers don't support us and keep positive attitudes like they should, and that's why they are losing a lot of workers. They expect so much from us with little effort of concern. The hardest part of working there is when there are no customers, my job is very dry during week days and my job is always expecting for us to be doing things when the tasks are already finished. As far as the co-workers, I haven't had any problems with any of them, I can't speak for everyone else but I think all of them are nice and easy to get along with and the ones that aren't I don't really have to worry about because it's all about who I'm surrounding myself with. I enjoy working with all of my customers and I think that's the best part of my job because they are also very nice.
Pros
Extra money for credit apps
Cons
Unprofessional
Nice environment to work in
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILAugust 28, 2015
Co-workers were great and friendly as well as most of the managers. My counter manager was amazing. There was a ton of responsibility working with real jewels. I had to come in an hour early to put everything from the safes back into the showcases and stay 30 minutes later than everyone else to put the jewelry back into all of the safes and make sure everything was secured.
Pros
My counter manager was great making sure I got off specific days for events and appointments.
Cons
Can't go to the bathroom without a manager taking over, no breaks except for lunch.
Good Company
Assist customers (Current Employee) –  bloomington, IllinoisJuly 16, 2015
Good company. Fun to work with. Co workers are fun to work with. Very enjoyable job. Managment is great. Learned alot about customer service.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 10, 2015
When I opened for the day, I open the register I will be working at. I count the drawer to make sure the right amount is in, sometimes I request for change to make the day go easier. I clean fitting rooms, put new merchandise on the racks. Help customers with needs such as purchases, returns, orders and payments. When I close at night, I recover the area that has been messed up throughout the day. I make tickets for clothes, and sometimes set a sale for the next day. I do it at a fast past but efficient. I help customers also that come in. As I close the register, I count how much is supposed to be in the register for the next day, and remove the money that was made during the day and take it to the back to the cash office.
Pros
Customers, Acknowledged when I succeed, friendly co-workers and managers
Cons
Not enough hours. I live on my own so it is hard to work these shifts and pay bills.
Ok. Great place to begin.
Shoes Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 3, 2015
It was a well rounded area where you can learn customer service skills very well. It was a great way to learn fast. It was hard scheduling since I have a 3 year old and going to school full-time. They were great for a little while then they were getting agitated about it. Even after filling out the proper paperwork to ensure it would work
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not very flexible with schedules during schools
bergners
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 29, 2015
It was a great company to work for overall. i was young when I had this positions and they were extremely resonable with pay and scheduling.
Great co-workers
Jewelry Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 21, 2015
Very nice employees to work with. Love learning jewelry. Customers are friendly and it has brought some new challenges into my life which I enjoy!
Pros
good people
Cons
pay/ commission
Don't expect much.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILApril 28, 2015
Been working here since the holidays and got hired on after. During the holidays it is great. Expect an overload of hours, but once the holidays are over expect nothing. First week after Christmas myself as well as most other employees were not the the schedule for about a week and a half. This is considered a "short hour" position. Short hour employees are NOT gaurenteed ANY hours. I believe the range is 0-20 per week, yet they call on all of your days off asking if you can come in and cover. At our store in Peru, IL there is one full time employee for each department that will get 30-40 hours per week and about 7-8 ALL short hour employees per department that do not get ANY hours yet they keep hiring people! Stop hiring people and give the employees that want to work hours and at least bump them up to part time where 25 hours is gaurenteed! I have been asking for more hours since I started and I may get a couple extra days at first and then NOTHING! It is not unusual to have a 3-4 hour shift for the entire week. They over employ during certain sales where they expect to be swamped and have every single employee from every department working and we are not all needed! Two registers tops open in each department with 5-6 workers at a time? Not good cost management. Two people at the registers with one wondering the floor/cleaning up is plenty of not even too many at times. We catch ourselves just getting in each other's way or with nothing to do because everything is done/clean and registers busy. It's a waste of our time and their money. They over budget and have to cut everyone's  more... hours because they can't afford to pay anyone. Don't try working here without a second job. I started in one department and got sent to another department that would "give me more hours" because they didn't need any extra help inn the department I was working.... They hired 4 people, fired 2, and another 2 quit after I left that department... Started in the the new department... Hired another 2 ppl, one quit and they "need" another. NO YOU DONT. YOU HAVE PEOPLE WANTING AND WILLING TO WORK FULL TIME AND YOUR GIVING 10 HOURS A WEEK TO 8 DIFFERENT PEOPLE! I am a business graduate and I understand there may be rules or regulations or tax breaks for a certain about of employees and what status they are but cut your losses and keep the people willing and wanting to work. Maybe people will stop leaving.  less
Pros
Good discount.
Cons
No hours. Low pay. Won't give extra hours but keep hiring. All employees are "short hour" (0-20)
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  bloomingtonApril 27, 2015
Fun place to work. It was a little unorganized. everyone did their own thing, but ot the job done. didn't really get to know the managers. however they kee a lot of seasonal employee for full time or part time.
my first job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  peoria,ilApril 16, 2015
i like it it had got me speed wheeirn i work.i work alot got a good pay.it was first cool job.i gain friends working their.also learing stuff staying late.
Nice place
Shoe Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILApril 8, 2015
Just bad hours and some not so nice employees. It was just a min. wage job at the end of the day. Fun environment though. Liked working the busy times because I was on commission, thus I made more.
Pros
Break Room and discounts
Cons
Bad hours
Bergner's was a great place to work until they cut my hours and then I was forced to quit.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 28, 2015
Bergner's was a great work environment because I enjoyed all my coworkers and found our teamwork to be like family. My managers were willing to listen and they genuinely cared about me and my coworkers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no insurance and low-pay
Low pay and not enough hours
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 17, 2015
Bergner's offers minimum wage, just like any other retailer, and that shows how much they appreciate their employees. There was constant stress because you have to ask for credits and emails, tell customers about the online survey, and talk about any promotions or sales when a customer made a purchase. Customers do not like this. I liked most of my coworkers, and even the managers; however, there is too much corporate pressure on the store for anyone to like working there. The pay is low, and the best workers would get a .25 raise a year. Hours would be cut for everyone, but new people would still be getting hired. Okay for a high school student or just as a first job, but avoid if you can.
Pros
potlucks, co-workers
Cons
corporate rules and regulations, pay, hours
I stayed busy and productive while working there.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 16, 2014
A typical day at Bergner's was me doing recovery,and that's straightening up the sales floor making sure everything looks nice and neat,and also ringed up merchandise at the cash register. From working at Bergner's I learned to work at a steady pace and I learned how to deal with rude and not so happy customers. My co-workers there at bergner's are friendly and very helpful.The hardest part of the job to me would be doing all that I can do but still not making a customer happy or satisfied, for example if a customer is looking for a certain jacket and they ask me if we have it and I try to help find it for them and I don't, It would be hard to me because as a sales associate we're suppose to make customers happy and I would not of been able to do that.The most enjoyable part of the job would putting a smile on customers faces.
Pros
employee discount, customer service experience
Cons
pay, short breaks.
Looking for a new job ASAP
Shoes Assc. (Current Employee) –  Sterling, IL.April 17, 2014
I started working at Bergners in Sterling, IL In September of 2012. Loved it!! The manager of my department was leaving and the store was hiring for a new one. Well, the one they brought in was fine at first. I don't judge, gave her the benefit without a doubt. After awhile things just kept getting worse. She was telling me to do things wrong and I would try and tell her it wasn't right without being rude or anything, and she woupd argue. Very passive aggressive. She would constantly talk bad about other co workers, especially when they would mess up on something. And of coarse, everyone told the other person what she said. Black friday came around this last year and she got super upset cause I told our manager od the store she wasn't letting us get our lunches and I got wrote up for basically bad mouthing her and disrepecting her when I never said a word to her! Ever since I've been getting wrote up for the craziest things. Love my co workers and most of management. But everyday its more drama and unprofessional. Even corperate has been called and nothing has been changed. Would NEVER work for that company again.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
very unprofessional.