Berkeley College Employee Reviews

Supportive chairman
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2016
I enjoyed the opportunity to teach art history and film.

At Berkeley my students are diverse, multi-cultural, sometimes from foreign countries. The students range in ages from 18 to middle aged, and I have had many mature students on the GI Bill.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Only a week between quarters, but that is changing.
Great Company, Benefits and Structure
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJDecember 21, 2015
I worked as the Executive Assistant to the CIO. It was a very fast paced environment but had a great process to it. Very organized and stable. Co-workers were all very nice. I learned alot about the IT world. The CIO was a very pleasant man to work with.
Pros
Great benefits, Organized, Stable, Grounded, Friendly, Educational, Educational Benefits, Health Benefits, Vacation and Sick Time, Holidays Off
Cons
Productive environment and great staffs.
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJDecember 7, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job is working with students and helping them as much as possible throughout the course of the time they attend the school. Seeing their progress from when they apply until they graduate. It is a very welcoming work place for students with great well rounded staff that I am always learning from.
Fulfilling job for college students
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 13, 2015
Fulfilling and supportive place to work. You will always be kept busy, so don't plan on completing any assignments on the clock. Once you're recognized as a tutor, don't expect to be able to do work on your own time without being interrupted for assistance. Either way, it is a very fulfilling position.
management
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJOctober 13, 2015
THis was a great place to learn and work. The staff were very warm and teaching. I also completed my studies there while working.
Bad Management, Low Pay
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJSeptember 28, 2015
I worked at Berkeley College, on the corporate side, for a number of years. In my time there, I was able to get a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the company. Starting with the good points, Berkeley has a great workforce comprised of some really superb individuals (management not included in this statement). My coworkers were all considerate and friendly, and I found it easy to fit in and and develop relationships. Berkeley also seems to care about their employees, often organizing events in which everyone is encouraged to participate.

This would seem like a great place to work, until one witnesses the other side of the things. While Berkeley College seems to care about their employees, in practice this is not typically the case. To start, the pay scale is low (almost insultingly so) and raises are weak (usually 2%) regardless of performance. It seems most of the profits go to supporting the top-heavy management, who are not shy about flaunting their status and increased earnings. The corporate side of Berkeley College is more akin to a club, with the inner circle taking care of each other, while everyone else is taken for granted. Though this is not all that abnormal in a typical corporate environment.

To summarize, I would say Berkeley College is behind the times, and now paying for it. While this type of organization and management may have flourished at one time, it now has trouble keeping up, and Berkeley struggles to retain talented employees because of this. In my time there, I noticed that the smart ones often left once they saw the way things
  more... really ran in the organization. Also, it is worth mentioning that the college is currently under investigation by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs. Anyone who keeps tabs on the for-profit education industry can see where this is headed. For these reasons, one might want to think twice before joining the Berkeley Family.  less
Pros
Occasional free food, coworkers are friendly
Cons
Management is clueless, dying business model, low pay, low raises, company has no real future
Great work environment with substantial room for growth within the company!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJSeptember 9, 2015
Great place to work with support from fellow co-workers. They care about the educational growth of their instructors. They care about the success of their students not only in school but also in their personal lives. The most enjoyable thing about my job is watching the student graduate and start their careers in life.
adjunct professor
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Dover, NJSeptember 2, 2015
I enjoy working with young people . i hasve many years of experience and enjoy interacting with the students from a practical perspective....I enjoy the structure of the university.
Work together as a team to provide the best service to our students.
Administrative Assistant, Advisement Department (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJAugust 15, 2015
I handle most of the incoming calls in the Advisement Department/Operating and handle student issues as best as possible. If there is something that I cannot assist with I will warm transfer to correct Advisor or department that can assist the student best. Our overall goal is to assist the student and make their experience as smooth as possible. The hardest part is handling multiple calls and reports at once, but I have learned to take it one step at a time and it's okay to ask for assistance with the phones if a report is time sensitive.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
short breaks
professional work environment, great staff,
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJAugust 13, 2015
An excellent work environment,the highly professional faculty, strive to provide the highest quality preparation for all students, focusing on a well rounded education so that each student can succeed.
Fun atmosphere
Enrollment Services / Telecounselor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 31, 2015
A typical day includes calling and receiving calls from students or individuals seeking information. This information could be about the school, or where to find individuals from all 9 campuses.

It's a fast pace environment and one must concentrate on what they are doing in order to give the correct information. the monotony is often broken with games or other forms of interaction between coworkers. This I find brings staff much closer together.
Pros
Comfortable work environment
Cons
It's Part-time
Everyone works together to get the job done
Student Accounts (Former Employee) –  Dover, NJJuly 28, 2015
People from all departments work together putting students first in order to meet objectives. Upper management is responsive to workload variations and help to meet all deadlines.
very busy and fun enviroment kept me on my toes
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJJuly 3, 2015
a typical day at Berkley college would be answering a high volume of tickets giving end user support to school staff and other offices such as the career and Berkeley online. I learned working at Berkeley college how to disassemble and reassemble desktop, laptops, tablets, phones etcs. Also how to keep stock of inventory of hardware components, rewiring the server room , troubleshooting from Microsoft outlook to lotus notes. The hardest part of my job at Berkeley was keeping up with the fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part of my job I gain a lot of experience at Berkeley for the time that I work there.
Not friendly to single parents
FT Student (Former Employee) –  woodland park campusJune 16, 2015
I was a student, not an employee therefore there isn't much I can say except for the fact that it's not parent-friendly. The executives treat children as if they are a bother even when a student is unaware of policies
Productive and fun workplace
Student Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2015
This is a great environment; Work and school all in one building. The staff and faculty are outstanding and attentive. They assist me with everything I need to know on the job and in the real world.
I give Berkeley College the highest reviews.
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  West Paterson, NJMay 10, 2015
My typical day at work consisted of interviewing prospective students
and in-school students at the financial aid office at Berkeley College. I loved my job because I had a chance to help them join Berkeley or
package them so they could continue their education. I processed
the Pell Grants, New Jersey State Grants, student guaranteed
loans and private loans and cash plans.

I enjoyed working with my co-workers. We would help each other
if the office got very busy with students and worked very well as a
team. I learned very much from the managers as I managed to work their for about three years.

The most difficult part of the job was when the next semester was about to start and the students were lined up all the way down the
stairs to the first floor and we packaged every student until closing
time. I still remember the director buying us pizza while we continued
to work. It was challenging but we managed to succeed.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when the company would throw us an end of the year party during the holidays.
Pros
free lunches when we were extremely busy
Great atmosphere
TeleCounselor (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 4, 2015
It was a very relaxed atmosphere. The staff and supervisors were very helpful. The office conducted games so the day would not seem so tedious midst all those phone calls. They are very motivating.
fun place to work
Senior Enrollment Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJApril 17, 2015
job was interesting since I was able to help potential students further their career. co-workers were team players and supervisors were very helpful.
Pros
free lunches and out of work place partys occasionally
Cons
no benefits re:paid vacation, sick days, health coverage
something to do
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 28, 2015
This was a job that I had while attend high school. It was a easy job that involved cleaning up the hallways between classes, I did it to earn some extra cash for my prom. I was something to do between class and after school practice.
Customer Service
Telecounselor (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJMarch 19, 2015
• Telecounselor
• Inbound/Outboud
• Answer high volume phone calls
• Provide clients with customer service
• Filter phone calls and transfer clients to appropriate department
• Register new clients to CRM