Berklee College of Music

Berklee College of Music Employer Reviews

Great working and studying environment!
Student Ambassador Year (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 11, 2014
I have had a wonderful time learning music, while collaborating and networking with people from all around the world. Its location in the heart of the city makes it easily accessible, and I have loved begin a part of its culture.
Best staff I've ever worked with
Resident Director (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 4, 2014
Fun environment where I learned a lot about management as well as music
A fun, high energy atmosphere that is hands on.
Box Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Boston, MAJuly 20, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, free concerts
Cons: bi-weekly pay, dealing with unsatisfiable customers
As a supervisor for the BPC box office via The Red Room @ Cafe 939, I was required to work office hours as well as venue hours. During office hours I was required to build shows via Vendini Ticketing Software, respond to customer e-mails and phone calls, sell tickets, financial reconciling, and many other tasks. While working the venue, I was required – more... to operate Ticket Agent to sell tickets and concessions at face value, handle will call, and complete end of show reports. I was partly responsible for creating a weekly schedule, guiding employees and assisting them with any questions they may have, and completing any tasks my manager asked me to do. A very pleasant environment; it was a job I very much enjoyed without ever dealing with co-worker conflict. I went into this job with no knowledge of operating ticketing systems or how to properly supervise employees. Being a fast learner, I picked things up quickly. I only sometimes struggled with financial reconciliation, when reports didn't properly add up; that had to be the most frustrating part of my job. With that being said, I enjoyed that I was able to create my own schedule with flexible hours, and that fact that I was immersed in a musical atmosphere. A job is always so much more enjoyable when it involves something you're passionate about. – less
exciting, creative atmosphere
Professor (Former Employee), Boston MAJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great networking with talented faculty, 24-hour it assistance, assigned pianists for all performance classes - nice!
Cons: long commute; healthcare and parking were pricey.
Each day I'd teach electives: Voice Class for Instrumentalists or American Diction and at least 1 Sight Reading (aka solfeggi or sight singing) class. There were rooms where faculty had computer, telephone and copier access as well as offices where we could work and meet with students.

Downstairs was a cafeteria and we were located in a neighborhood – more... with bookstores as well as a Computer Center where faculty could work with IT folks on any project desired.

The commute was between 30 and 45 minutes to my home in the suburbs - and there was MBTA access also.

Musically, Berklee is on the forefront of non-classical music. It also has a student body of greater than 40% non-American students. These days, the percentage may be even greater. I learned more in my 36 years at Berklee than I did at all the other education venues combined! – less
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2014
My duties consisted of answering students’ campus related questions, reception, handling phone calls, and supporting the office administrative staff. The most valuable skill I learned as an administrative assistant was the ability to multitask effectively.
Topic educational institution for contemporary music
Associate Director of Admissions (Former Employee), Boston, MAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: if you like all different types of music and want to be part of a very dynamic institution, berklee is it!
Cons: no parking, public transportation is a must!
fabulous place to work. Great people, talented students, fantastic area of Boston. right near great restaurants, shops, Boston common and gardens. Lots of fun neighborhoods to live all around Boston.
Productive, great learning experience, fun and recreative.
Live Sound-Mixer Engineer/Lighting Operator (Current Employee), Boston, MAJuly 16, 2013
Pros: get to watch concerts, free lunch sometimes, friendly staff, meet great artists.
Cons: sometimes long down-times.
The work-style at Berklee College of Music is really good because it is fun and laid back but always being serious. My co-workers and managers were friendly and always willing to help. Being there helped me a lot in many areas, such as working in team, getting a lot of knowledge about concerts, stage management, live sound, mixing for a cd and how to – more... approach the different genres and styles of music.
The hardest part was to make everything fast when big set ups were presented, because someone, always, has to take the lead to organize everyone to do the work efficiently.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when operating the console and getting a really good and satisfactory sound, realizing that the audience is enjoying the show after working hard on make in it happen and still working on the live sound or lighting.
Also is really enjoyable at the moment of learning. – less
Pro: incredible music talent, decent pay grades, benefit. Con: Stressful, political, long academic year, no downtime, tough commute, not appreciated.
Director of Networks and Telecommunications (Current Employee), Boston, MA.June 20, 2013
Pros: can be fun, exciting, musical talent galore
Cons: work effort unappreciated
Work environment can be stressful and unrewarding. However, the good surpasses the bad most of the time.
Division: Institutional Advancement
Institutional Advancement Intern (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 13, 2013
• Lead a benchmarking study of peer institutions focused on development and engagement strategies
A hard working learning environment with constant repairs
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee), Boston MADecember 28, 2012
Pros: a lot of students and staff were greatful to me for fixing their computers, and i was constantly learning about new software development
Cons: arriving at the end of a 6 month apprenticeship
Berklee College of Music was a 6 month unpaid apprenticeship awarded to me through Year Up inc. Every morning I checked the ticket system that was provided through Apple, to learn about new repairs to user Imac's. I collected the equipment from various buildings around the college, ran several tests to troubleshot and diagnose each problem. Each machine – more... was a new mystery to solve, some were software issues, some are hardware issues. I had a great time taking apart so many computers, to replace broken parts. Mostly every customer had experienced some form of aggravation while their machine malfunctioned, then experienced relief when I returned it to them in working condition. – less
Drum room Supervisor
Supervisor of the drum facilities (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 13, 2012
I would sit at a desk and take student's IDs when they went into a room to practice. It was an easy job which allowed me to do my homework. There wasn't anything too hard about it.
Productive work environment.
Scoring Stage and Recording Studio Assistant (Former Employee), Valencia, Spain.September 12, 2013
Pros: meet a lot of professional musicians.
Cons: long work hours.
Film scoring and live recording studio sessions. Incredible staff and incredible equipment.