Berklee College of Music Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Studio operations assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2016
Great job to gain recording studio experience. I had the opportunity to assist world renown recording engineers and producers during the two years I worked this job. I also became very tech savvy with Mac OS systems and on Recording consoles. The staff is very knowledable with music and audio gear and created an excellent place to work.
Pros
Flexable schedules and a lot of recording studio experience
Cons
Low pay
Great place to learn teach and work...
Teaching Artist – Voice (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 11, 2016
The work is the reward. There are some infrastructure issues and communication between those who administrate versus those who teach is often at the root. The students are gems. And, for the most part, they are motivated to learn and thus inspiring.
Great place but nowhere to go
Student Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2016
It was a good place to work because the people were very nice and the work kept you busy, but i felt like there was no upward mobility.
Fun and Creative work with great people
Stage Crew Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 3, 2015
I have been doing this job for 5 years, I had it while i was a student at Berklee and excelled. I was promoted to become a part-time manager at the end of the summer of 2015. I can say that my time on Berklee's stage crew was the best thing I did as a student and am very gracious to be a manager. I get to work with professionals who have seen everything this business has to offer and only want to educate and engage both student workers and colleagues.
Pros
Educating students
vocal department accompanist
Vocal accompanist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 1, 2016
It is great . It was so fun. and I really enjoy it. I've learn music. and.
woking hour is very flexible. Co- worker is also good and nice.
It doesn't have special problem.
to much to handle a only
Dining Room Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2015
love the job, but to much heavy lifting. Setting up two full dinner areas by yourself, that to much for one person to handle, chairs and tables.
Pros
no free lunch, pay with money, or with school money
Cons
breaks sometimes they forgey about you, on your breaks. I did fill oiut for benefits.
Selling the dream
N/A (Current Employee) –  N/AFebruary 10, 2016
As long you realize that Berklee sells an antiquated dream, it's easy to clock in and clock out. Senior leadership is top-heavy for this small school.
Answering phones, answering clients questions, scheduling/renting rooms overseeing special events basic cleaning and organizing
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 23, 2015
I was responsible for renting out equipment and rooms to different bands that would come in to the practice space. I had to organize rooms manage the schedule and on occasion oversee special events such as private concerts and music video filming.
Like a family
Work Study Supervisor at Bursar's Office (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 16, 2015
Typical day at work: answering phone calls and emails and assisting students.
What I learned: How to work with difficult customers (they have reason to be because it's all about money).
Hardest part: Telling students that they can't come to school because they haven't paid their bill.
Enjoyable part: It's a lot of fun with the people there. Almost everyone has some type of musical inclination.
Na
Temp at GI (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 2, 2015
Working at berklee has been a good experience since my job has allowed me enhance my management skills since I have gained sound knowledge on all of the software systems used by the school (Google Drive, FileMaker Pro, and Excel work-books) to support the division’s operations.

Want to know more about Berklee College of Music?

Ask a question
Topic educational institution for contemporary music
Associate Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2013
fabulous place to work. Great people, talented students, fantastic area of Boston. right near great restaurants, shops, Boston common and gardens. Lots of fun neighborhoods to live all around Boston.
Pros
If you like all different types of music and want to be part of a very dynamic institution, Berklee is it!
Cons
No parking, public transportation is a must!
The best school of music in the world
Peer Tutoring Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2015
Berklee recently was named the best school of music in the world.
more than 4,000 students per academic year attend to Berklee.
Having the privilege of been Berklee alumni and also having the honor of have being teaching there is somethig that I am really proud of.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Tuition Price
Pro: incredible music talent, decent pay grades, benefit. Con: Stressful, political, long academic year, no downtime, tough commute, not appreciated.
Director of Networks and Telecommunications (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA.June 20, 2013
Work environment can be stressful and unrewarding. However, the good surpasses the bad most of the time.
Pros
can be fun, exciting, musical talent galore
Cons
work effort unappreciated
A hard working learning environment with constant repairs
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston MADecember 28, 2012
Berklee College of Music was a 6 month unpaid apprenticeship awarded to me through Year Up inc. Every morning I checked the ticket system that was provided through Apple, to learn about new repairs to user Imac's. I collected the equipment from various buildings around the college, ran several tests to troubleshot and diagnose each problem. Each machine was a new mystery to solve, some were software issues, some are hardware issues. I had a great time taking apart so many computers, to replace broken parts. Mostly every customer had experienced some form of aggravation while their machine malfunctioned, then experienced relief when I returned it to them in working condition.
Pros
a lot of students and staff were greatful to me for fixing their computers, and i was constantly learning about new software development
Cons
arriving at the end of a 6 month apprenticeship
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2014
My duties consisted of answering students’ campus related questions, reception, handling phone calls, and supporting the office administrative staff. The most valuable skill I learned as an administrative assistant was the ability to multitask effectively.
Earned experience in live production and gear handling
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  ValenciaSeptember 11, 2015
Take care and checking out equipment, communicate with people, stage management, live music production, the best team
Great working and studying environment!
Student Ambassador Year (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 11, 2014
I have had a wonderful time learning music, while collaborating and networking with people from all around the world. Its location in the heart of the city makes it easily accessible, and I have loved begin a part of its culture.
Great people and environment
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2014
My responsibilities were to aid foreign students with their english skills. I enjoyed working one-on-one with them and seeing them improve with time. My colleagues were very professional and the job wasn't too stressful.
Substitute teacher during an intensive 5 week program
Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 5, 2014
I had the opportunity to substitute teach and work in the 5 week office for Berklee. I taught music composition, and performance.
Pros
Great experience to meet new musicians
Cons
Short program
exciting, creative atmosphere
Professor (Former Employee) –  Boston MAJuly 2, 2014
Each day I'd teach electives: Voice Class for Instrumentalists or American Diction and at least 1 Sight Reading (aka solfeggi or sight singing) class. There were rooms where faculty had computer, telephone and copier access as well as offices where we could work and meet with students.

Downstairs was a cafeteria and we were located in a neighborhood with bookstores as well as a Computer Center where faculty could work with IT folks on any project desired.

The commute was between 30 and 45 minutes to my home in the suburbs - and there was MBTA access also.

Musically, Berklee is on the forefront of non-classical music. It also has a student body of greater than 40% non-American students. These days, the percentage may be even greater. I learned more in my 36 years at Berklee than I did at all the other education venues combined!
Pros
great networking with talented faculty, 24-hour IT assistance, assigned pianists for all performance classes - nice!
Cons
Long commute; healthcare and parking were pricey.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berklee College of Music. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3