Berkshire Bank Employee Reviews

Great Small Bank
AVP (Current Employee) –  Burlington, MAJanuary 15, 2017
Berkshire provides a good work life balance and a laid back atmosphere. It is the exact opposite of a "Big Bank" atmosphere. However the salary and benefits are nothing special.
Very nice workplace
Teller (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, MAJanuary 9, 2017
A lot of information is given to you through classes before you start, then when u start you learn on the job. Very great company to work for. Other employees at the Sheffield branch are very nice and knowledgeable.
Lack of integrity
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MADecember 10, 2016
Management will take every opportunity to reduce benefits and take away things that were promised upon hiring. Incredibly low moral and a generally depressing work environment as a result. I would recommend that no one work here.
Pros
It's exciting!
Cons
Not exciting in a good way.
Productive place to work
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTNovember 20, 2016
Berkshire Bank is America's Most Exciting Bank. They focus on their customers and go above and beyond in servicing their needs. They continue to separate themselves from other banks with their high rates and friendly staff.
Pros
Excitement Rallies
Very poor management
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2016
This company was not very well run. It was like a prison. You could not speak to anyone, cross-training was horrible, they changed your hours numerous times. There was no room for advancement. You also could not speak to management about any concerns.
Pros
Just having a job.
Cons
No room for advancement, Poor management. Not a friendly work environment.
Too clicky
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MASeptember 29, 2016
I was super excited about a new place of employment. Unfortunately when I got to Berkshire bank, it was extremely hard for me to work there. I'm an extremely easy person to get along with, but the people that worked in the branch I was in made it IMPOSSIBLE. Everyone was drama and made everyone that was new, uncomfortable.

When I started, I just found out I was pregnant and I was very proactive about letting people know and figuring out what I needed to do. I contacted Human Resources to find out everything that I needed and what to expect. They were not clear on it at ALL. I was prepared to not get paid for 3 weeks, I completely understood that I would not be paid. But what they decided NOT to tell me was that they were going to backtrack my insurance payments for my daughter when I started after my maturity leave and took it out of my first paycheck back, leaving me with $6 to my name for 2 weeks. Not sure who can support themselves on $6 and I certainly don't know anyone who can support an 8 week old baby on $6. I knew at that point it was time to look for something new.

Within the first month I was there, the manager switched branches. Only ONE internal manager applied for the position because the office because of such a bad rep. I'd never recommend working for Berkshire bank to anyone. The environment just isn't what a bank environment should be. The other employees would talk about going out to the bar and how drunk they were all weekend while other employees had customers and they would even talk about it to their customers. Completely unprofessional. Some
  more... customers would even question a relationship between two of the employees. They weren't dating but the way they acted, you'd think otherwise. If customers notice that, that's an issue.

The only two good things that I can say about the bank:

1. I loved that they worked with me with all of my appointments for my pregnancy.

2. They encouraged you to volunteer for community/local activities and it seemed to really help out. From local street fairs to the helping out the local schools to the minor league baseball games.
Pros
Flexible with appointments & encouraged volunteering
Cons
Clicky, impossible to work for, unprofessional.
Berkshire Bank
Universal Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Whitesboro, NYSeptember 28, 2016
Berkshire Bank is a good place to work if you're single and or in college. It can be very tough to enjoy when you don't receive any raises. Also Berkshire Bank is not very professional on how they handle customers and it's employees.
Pros
Set Hours, Fun Coworkers, Federal Holidays Off, Sick Pay, Vacation Days.
Cons
NO Pay Raises, Hard To Advance, Lack Of Communication.
basic teller job
Teller (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 17, 2016
apparently americas most exciting bank.......big joke. dull people, middle of no where type bank. managers- some of them can't do basic teller duties. need to get in younger management that aren't stuck In the 60's way of life.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
working there
Exciting enviroment and co workers
Bank Teller I (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 28, 2016
Is a perfect job to growth professionally and personally and is nice to have fun with co workers, activities outside the bank helping the community.
Not a nice place to work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany MarketJune 8, 2016
Terrible work conditions and ethics. Senior Management only wants to hear what they want to hear. They hide behind their phony slogan "America's Most Exciting Bank". I guess it's exciting if you like to be on the chopping block every other quarter if your struggling with your unrealistic sales goals. The bank is out of touch and gives no support to its Management Team. It likes to criticize, but doesn't give solutions or support. Terrible Team environment. Great people, but Senior Management (EVP's) are really out of touch. I wonder if the CEO knows how his employees really feel, considering we're coached to be phony and put a smile on.
Pros
Customers are great and so are the employees
Cons
Senior Management
Great concept but all talk
Branch Officer (Former Employee) –  VermontApril 29, 2016
Berkshire Bank brands itself as "America's Most Exciting Bank," however they do not follow it through. Most employees are overworked and criminally underpaid. There is no room for advancement. CEO is great, but has lost touch with those below the executive level, making him unable to see how unhappy his employees are. Senior Management forces employees to look happy to the CEO, and opinions are unwelcome and unwanted unless they agree with senior management.
Pros
Retail dress code is casual, many great employees
Cons
Poor pay, no room for advancement, input by employees is regularly suppressed and even disciplined
Great people and hours
Teller (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAApril 24, 2016
Berkshire bank is a great place to work. the hours are great and the job keeps you busy and on your toes. the staff are great at giving you a hand with anything you may need.
Pros
hours are great
Cons
pay is very low
Retail Management Shoes
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJanuary 2, 2016
It was fun and energetic. Great sales and helping customers. We had great sales potential and contests. We were number one at sales goals comparative to other stores in our district
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
OK place to work. Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Special Assets Officer, AVP (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYNovember 24, 2015
My review is a work in process, as I'm currently working at the company. Management is helpful - gives detailed and useful reviews and provide not only useful insight.
Great company to work and grow
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAOctober 16, 2015
Berkshire Bank is a truly great company that values its employees, it is not all talk! I worked in their call center and my managers and supervisors were always attentive to my needs and always took into account any input or ideas i had regarding bettering our service or myself. They encouraged growth and development.
Pros
Recognition, attentive to needs, always available
Cons
Not a great place to work if you want to move up. Senior Management is all about themselves.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 10, 2015
Liked my manager and Regional manager and people I worked with. My manager left and then my regional. Both I thought represented the company well. No direction after that just big staffing issues. Want you to do your job with no staffing. No direction for promotions. Same people get promoted time and time again. Lack of training and development.
Cons
Senior Management, turn over, lack of staffing
"Americas Most Exciting Bank"
Universal Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYMay 30, 2015
Berkshire bank is a small community bank based out of Massachusetts that has locations through out the Capital Region area, Central New York, Vermont and Connecticut. Medium volume bank focused on the customer. From a personal experience, I have had good management and co-workers working as a team to achieve our goals. The hardest part of the job was trying to help customers with financial needs but sometimes restricted to do so. The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with regular customers and seeking new customers that could benefit from products and services.
Poor Management
Teller (Former Employee) –  Albany AreaApril 7, 2015
Capital region management is terrible. They don't allow growth and you need to fend for yourself majority of the time. They do not appreciate their employees.
America's Most Exciting Bank
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Glenville, NYFebruary 27, 2015
Enjoy coming here everyday to give it my all and learn new things everyday to help advance my career as well as help the bank in any way possible.
Fun Place to work
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  NYFebruary 24, 2015
Berkshire is a great company in that they want you to have time with your family. Keep work and home life in balance. I like the many benefits such as 401k they have. My biggest issue is some of the management in house, isn't always great. There is too much lax for the managers and some take advantage of that. Not supportive and degrading or belittling toward associates. the company itself is decent but if you get a horrible manager or supervisor, forget about it.
Pros
Fun Rallies, Great Benefits
Cons
Poor management, outdated technology, Too Lax with managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berkshire Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9