Berry Plastics Employee Reviews

Expects too much from you and less compensation
worker (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJanuary 5, 2016
The Quad Cities plant is not a safe and pleasant environment to work in. The crew members lack team effort, management and corporate is only concerned about numbers not us! Poor communication and lack of acknowledgement from management and human resources. Unfair about our pay and benefits, does not look at increases. I've talked to people that worked there for many years and has not seen hardly any raises only cents not dollars. Work too hard for too little and they hire any one without thoroughly doing background checks so therefore we need to watch ourselves. Also human resources loves to fire good people and keep the bad ones that doesn't work or carry skills. This place overall has such an overturn in the company that I am shocked they are still open. Someone needs to get in there and really make a change. Oh, and the 12 hour shifts are stressful, point system is terrible. Any one looking for a good comfortable job environment, this isn't the one.... unless your desperate!
Pros
working
Cons
short breaks and lunches, underpaid, long hours, poor work ethics within team mates, benefits, human resources
productive and just a great place to work.
production (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 22, 2016
A typical day at berry plastics was great, I learned how to fix machines. Complete orders forms and also learn how the products was made. Management was great always walked around asking if you need help or if you understand it if not they had someone over there to help you or put you with a trainer. the hardest part of the job is just being in there when the weather is really hot. But what I enjoyed the most meeting and working with some of the greatest nicest people I have ever met.
Pros
Great healthcare, Great benefits, An good overtime pay, An good trainers.
Cons
Short breaks
Mostly pleased with Berry Plastics.
CDL Driver/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDMarch 14, 2016
No chance for advancement
12 hour shifts.
Night shift personnel under appreciated.
H.R. is strictly about company and not very accommodating to employees.
Pros
No labor involved.
Cons
No overtime and and raises are very unsatisfactory.
Demoralizing & Demotivating Environment
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Tolleson, AZJanuary 6, 2016
Management does not help new employees to succeed. Minimal training provided by a condescending person with a huge superiority attitude! Supervisor compares performance of someone who has been working for a year with that of a peer who has been there for over 12 years! Worse still, repeats the comments of that person.
Is that good leadership?
Long hours - aggressive goals.
Overall, not a great place which was very disappointing.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Little help provided to succeed
family orient and great opportunity to grow in the company
Lead Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILSeptember 11, 2016
Berry Plastics was a place where everyone knew why they came to work, and took their job serious. I learned how to be a great team player and then team leader. I learned the important of food productions and safety. the managers was great peoples and had more care about how we work and our safety.we had over millions of parts that we would get produces on a daily basic. the hardest part would come when a machine breakdown or an employee fail to pay attention to their ink. the enjoyable part of the job is when we all would have picnic and play game for prize and free raffle. .
Pros
free cookout, and holiday dinners.
Cons
free health screening to lower health plan payment and training in safety activities.
Horrible
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 26, 2016
I worked for Berry Plastics for 3 years in their QA department. It was the lowest paying QA job I've ever seen. They were always horribly understaffed and required mandatory 6 day work weeks to make up for it. They don't care about their employees at all. The bathrooms and break rooms are all in need of a remodel and were always filthy, half the toilets didn't work. I was mysteriously laid off only 3 months after having a baby. Terrible pay, measly benefits; steer clear.
Cons
Short breaks, underpaid, dirty break rooms
Factory setting with good workers, but poor management decisions.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYJuly 16, 2016
The workplace atmosphere was centered around safety, and product-quantity production. The workers were highly capable of performing the assigned tasks, but little incentive was given to exceed management expectations. The operators were expected to do common jobs, as well as many tasks the, higher-paid technicians, were required to perform. Due to issues ranging from quality, to possible over-hiring in expectation of increased demand, the company was forced to downsize one of its branches.

Though this is most likely not indicative of the company's performance as a whole, it was not encouraging to me, as an employee who was part of the downsizing.
Pros
Clean working environment, strict safety regulations, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Poor machine maintenance, poor hiring decisions, management did not act on suggestions of workers.
Busy work schedule throughout the day
Production Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJuly 24, 2016
Typical day consist of walking the floor prior to shift confirming the floor is acceptable for oncoming shift, put together the schedule, host pre-shift meeting, walk floor after confirming, gmp, san safety standards are met. Then check cycle times on each equipment. Monitor any changeovers and confirm line is ready once machines are ready for production. Make myself available for employees and help any processing, mechanical, warehouse issues that need addressed. end of day I collect production reports, warehouse tally sheets and input the performance of the day into webbeff for upper management. I manage 29 employees on my shift. Hardest part of the job is there is not enough time in the day sometimes when working with multiple issues while waiting on maintenance to take over. Most enjoyable part of my job are the people I work with. We have a good team on my shift.
Really secure company to work for
Printing Group Lead (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCAugust 10, 2016
Berry Plastics is a great company to work for....not the run of the mill mfg plant in the neighborhood, but a place where you can establish a career and stable work environment. The general level of the work force has it's normal turnover which makes it hard on long tenured employees constantly having to retrain new people when time permits. Training needs much attention for new hires as you can get lost in the midst of production at times which frustrates some new hires. The plant manager has some awesome ideas but meets constant resistants from employees and even some supervisors/managers which makes his mission and vision hard to achieve which ultimately led to my departure. The culture is slowly changing and I think it will with the consistent guidance and training provided by the current Plant, HR, and Continuous Improvement Manager..
Pros
semi- annual bonus, quarterly company recognition, great benefits, good starting pay for entry level candidates
Cons
work life balance( constant OT ) 1st line mgr support and appreciation
Horrible place for a family person!
Production Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 29, 2016
Imagine 12+ hours of no air conditioning in the summer, concrete flooring and having to forfeit your breaks. Half the time management was nowhere to be found and HR wants nothing to do with your problems. New management gives you attendance strikes for ANY and EVERYTHING whether it is your fault or not (i.e. vehicular accidents or family illness); doesn't allow overtime and kids? Forget it. They claim to be a faith-based company, but only if it's lining their pockets. I was given far more responsibility as a Cell Lead than others simply because I was younger. While they were on break, I was slaving away. People would literally stand by and watch things go wrong without a care. The culture was ghetto. I hated my time there and I'm glad it's over!
Pros
Okay insurance, pay
Cons
Everything else but the above
Productive, great pace to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, OHFebruary 1, 2016
Great place to work at a lot hours during the buy season and the pay was not to bad. The was fairly easy after I figured out the trick to the job and it really helped if your teammates was pulling there own weight and not out in the smoke hunt for an at a time, the hardest part of the job was getting caught back up when you get behind. As far as I am concerned the management team needed more training especially on there investigating skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day when you look back and see the floor clear of product and stocked of material for the operators.
Pros
great place to work, work with good people, good pay
Warehouse Productions
Warehouse Worker/ Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDJuly 13, 2016
I was working Monday thru Friday as a packer, packing plastic bottles on pellets in order. After six months I got promoted to the regrinding section where has regrind machines to recycle plastic. I also took a test for forklift operator. I was feeling great working there like a realistic gainful employee. But unfortunately, the job was a temp under Labor ready. I missed working there...It was a great experience and wish they kept me as a permanent employee. I was let go on the 4th of July in 2014.
Pros
free water and ice cause it be hot in there
Cons
We get three 15 mins breaks
Fun work
Printer Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 14, 2016
The work was often hard but it was always rewarding making a quality product that was going to be used by people. Management often demanded perfect product and a large amount of it, two things that don't go together very well. Forced overtime was mandatory from the start but they tacked more on without reason making spending time with loved ones impossible.

Overall the work was fun and rewarding but management set production goals to high.
Pros
Healthcare, pay
Cons
Hours, Management
Assistant Calendar Operator (Current Employee) –  Franklin, KYDecember 29, 2015
Very good compensation and benefits. Employees are valued and treated well by peers and management. Hours are intense but manageable. Extensive on-the-job training is available to the chosen applicant.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Extremely physical and sometimes cognitive challenging--very hot temperature in working areas
Low pay for the work that is done and hours you work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNAugust 2, 2016
You have to be into work 15 min early for a safety meeting, if you are late that is a 1/2 point. I was a Material Handler so I already knew my job placement. So I would talk to the day shift material handler and see what was going on for that day. I would rearrange the warehouse to were it is functional and in order. Also bringing in and out materials that the production assistants needed to do their job.
Pros
Good Benefits.
Cons
Poor supervisor skills in the workplace
Overall Berry is a great company to work for.
Molding Manufactures Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Princeton, INApril 17, 2016
Typical day at work in molding is about communication and knowing your machines.
Management is great, co-workers are more than willing to help you learn your job and what's expected.
The hardest part of the job is being intimidated by the molding machines because they are so big, and if you have the wrong setting on them then the mold could flash, which makes your workload a lot harder, and having more than 4 machines without extra help pulling Ropak when they are full, the machines alarming at once can be very stressful since we are about quality not quantity.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that everybody gets along, we work as a team, and management will come out on the floor to help with trouble shooting the machines.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Night shift with no senority, no work/life balance
High pace working environment but Great place to learn
Project Improvement Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 23, 2016
In the Thermoforming Engineering department you will learn how far you can push yourself. This department will force you to learn new things every week. It is a lot of work and the pay does not compete well for the Evansville area. However, if you spend 5 years at Berry in the Thermoforming department you will look like a rock star at any other company you work for. You will have long hours when working on projects and the deadlines are always tight but as long as you put in the time and manage them well they are achievable. The people are great, everyone gets hammered so when you have your bad days they are there to pick you up because they know they will need you when their bad day comes around. The hardest part of the job is staying afloat through all the projects and responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you are the best at what you do and if you become successful you will be a very valuable recourse. Unfortunately you won’t get paid for what you are worth unless you leave Berry. The projects that you get assigned are very interesting and push you as an engineer.
Pros
Great Projects, Great People
Cons
Low pay for the area, long hours
High turnover and incompitant management.
Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INMay 13, 2016
Employees and management look the other way when safety is the issue. Temp employees do not care and have dirty hands coming in contact of food containers. Management changes horses always in the middle of the stream. If you like working 21 days in a row with only 1 day off and start 21 more, this is the place for you. Berry Plastics in Evansville was one of the best places to work until they became a fortune 500 company. look what greed can do to upset a great company.
Pros
1 week vacation
Cons
Loud and disorganized, 21 days on 1 off, not seriuos about the well being of the employee
a good place to work if you stay on managements good side.
Assistant Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Macedon, NYAugust 24, 2016
A good place to work ,but has a lot of employee turnover due to the 12 hour shifts two days/nights on two off then three on .Works out to be every other weekend off, plus mandatory overtime a lot of people can not handle that shift.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
the hours, really busy and very fast paced, sometimes dont even get two breaks or even a lunch needs better training programs
productive workplace
Feeder/Packer (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCAugust 24, 2016
My job position was very interesting. The work that needed to be done was easy to learn. Co-workers were very helpful with teaching new material to new employees. The hardest part of the job for me was feeding lids to the lid print machines and keeping up with it. I liked the fact that the supervisor was very understanding and reasonable when it came to me making mistakes during my training process.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Berry Plastics. Our community is ready to answer.