Best Buddies International Employee Reviews in United States

This company will change your life
IT Manager - Hands (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 4, 2016
Best Buddies has changed my life for the better. It has opened my eyes and mind to a world that very few people know exists. It has been very rewarding to work for Best Buddies for the last several years.
Rewarding Industry working with people with Disabilities
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 2, 2015
Best Buddies is a great organization that works with people with disabilities from high school, to college to adults looking for employment.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
low salary
Horrible Organization to Work For
PM (Former Employee) –  NevadaJune 11, 2014
While Best Buddies mission is amazing, the management is not. There is no room and limited access to advancement within the organization depending on your state office. If you are an ambitious hard working professional, do not work here. The average turn over rate for entry level employees is 12 months (if that). Management does not help you with professional growth and development. Many offices are understaffed and as a result are stretched thin and stressed out. You would be better off by having a great paying job that will foster your professional career and donating time and money to the program in lieu of working for them.
Pros
great mission
Cons
everything else
Wonderful Mission, Terrible Infrastructure
State Staff (Former Employee) –  State OfficeMarch 12, 2014
I worked at this organization for a few years and absolutely fell in love with the mission. It is truly impacting the lives of both people with and without disabilities. Unfortunately, the infrastracture at the company headquarters in Miami is completely dysfunctional and counterproductive to serving the mission. There are National events that are tied to the Founder and CEO that are in direct competition with the state and local events, which makes it extremely hard to be successful as a State Director responsible for generating income. There are two distinct staffs; one of which works soley and exclusively on the National events, many of whom are also supposed to provide support to the states. This happens only when their time isn't being spend supporting the National events, and that support is mostly grudgingly given. All of the state staff feel like second class citizens and it is a constant source of frustration and the reason BB has such an extremely high turnover. The organization needs a COO to come in with outside experience to help restructure the org so that it will function more smoothly and run more successfully, instead of the many, many "yes men" that currently exist kowtowing to the CEO. It is a shame, because the mission is truly important and the constituency is very underserved, but until they get their act together they will continue to lose good people who get frustrated with the idiocy and the disparity between the state staff and events, and the HQ staff and their events.
Pros
amazing mission that you get to see, feel and touch every day.
Cons
terrible leadership and management, and it is getting worse, not better.
Awesome Experience
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 15, 2014
Had an amazing, life altering time volunteering with Best Buddies.
Do Not Work Here
Program Manger (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 8, 2013
While the mission of this organization is great, it is a very challenging place to work. They will burn you out and take advantage of your time without compensation. There are a many, many reasons as to why there is a lot of turnover within the programs staff at Best Buddies. The upper management, especially the supervisor at the state level (in MD) just don't seem to know what they are doing. They treat the staff like children and aren't always the most respectful. If you want to get involved with an organization that works with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities, I suggest volunteering and looking for a job elsewhere.
Pros
summer hours
Cons
most everything
Do not get involved with this company
lead program manager (Former Employee) –  state officeAugust 7, 2013
This is my first review I have written on Indeed and I really felt it was necessary.

The mission of Best Buddies is great and I strongly believe in it. With that being said, the management in the Best Buddies headquarter office is terrible. They will claim that they care about all their employees and support the state offices- sadly this is not the case.

I was truly excited when I took the position of program manager. I thought I would love the organization and believed that there would be room to grow. However, the only room to grow in this organization is if you move to FL and work for the headquarter office... and even that is not likely.

No matter what state you live in- I would strongly recommend against applying to work for this organization. You will be inundated with reports, conference calls, and unnecessary requests that take away from the true mission!
Pros
summer hours
Cons
hq only cares about themselves and not the state offices, overworked at state level, low salaries
State Director (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 5, 2013
Hard to get things done
Great mission
The co-workers are young and there is a huge turnover.
Fair Warning- Don't work here!!!
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 22, 2013
The mission of Best Buddies International is great and the overall desire to help individuals with disabilities is a worthy cause; however, the company is difficult to work for. I worked for this company in the state of Utah for many years and saw the upper management mistreat and disrespect staff time and again. I agree with previous comments that state you are at the mercy of your state/regional director, and when you voice concerns to the headquarter office they fall on deaf ears. There is little value placed on employees, you are required to be available 24/7 with little notice (if any) when they expect you to work nights and weekends, and you are compensated poorly. Do not work here if you have a family or any other outside obligations; you will be expected to surrender all other responsibilities. Furthermore, my State Director was unprofessional, immature, dishonest, and unfair to work for. The Human Resource department knew about this problem and failed to do anything. Unfortunately, my situation was not unique. I saw this happen in other states as well and the headquarter office's solution was to look the other way. While there have been some who work here (mostly a short time) and have a positive experience, the large majority of past employees leave here with a bad taste in their mouth. I recommend not taking the chance, don't work for Best Buddies International....especially in the state of Utah.
Life Experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 29, 2013
Spending time with this service has brought me pure joy and happiness.
fun experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FlMarch 5, 2013
At this employer I worked with the mentally challenged and disabled. My position entailed placing mentally challenged candidates in jobs at local private businesses. This built independence and responsibility in these candidates. It was interesting, fun and added to my personal growth. There was nothing I didn't like about the job.
Pros
working outdoors, medical benefits, paid vacation
Assisted in all event areas for the Best Buddies Challenge in Hyannis Port
Special Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 1, 2012
Found, researched, negotiated auction items, created displays, designed auction catalogue and event program

Responsible for gift bags, awards, and reception gifts

Managed schedules, budgets, and confidential records for the special events department during the Hyannis Port friendship ride

Directed set-up of the event, managed contact with outside vendors including the logistics team, caterers, security, company, entertainment, and police department

Live Auction raised over $45,000
Pros
traveling
Cons
temp position
Challenging organization to work for
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 12, 2012
While the overall mission of this nonprofit organization is good, the managment is hard to work for and there is little value placed on employees. They do not allow for a work/home life balance, as you are required to work nights, weekends, holidays, (regularly) with little notice ahead of time. You're at the mercy of your state/regional director, and the headquarter office has little oversight. Additionally, the organization does not offer competative wages for program staff. I would not recommend this organization.
Cons
management is challenging to work for, no value placed on employees, low wages with extraordinary expectations.

Comment – April 16, 2012

I am also a previous employee/director here and I could not agree more with the previous review regarding the difficulty of working with Best Buddies Nevada. I wish I would have read that review before I accepted a job here. I agree the national BB org. and mission are great, but BB Nevada employees are extremely unusual people and unbelievably unprofessional to work with. I was very sorry I had associated my name with them every single day I worked there -for the same reasons and many more that were not stated by the other person. Don't apply for this position unless you have no personal life at all, no ethics, and you are willing to be forced spend lots of your own money on their events from day one.

Great organization fulfilling a wonderful mission.
Intern - State Development (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 29, 2012
Best Buddies International has provided an ideal internship. The experience has been more than informative, it's been rewarding. Powered by Friendship!
Pros
great people!
Cons
none.

2.8