Best Buy Employee Reviews

Found 10,461 reviews matching the search
Glass Ceiling above everyone
Geek Squad Agent / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLOctober 1, 2016
There really isn't room for advancement in BestBuy. They work you long hours with just over minimum wage. They promise you raises that never come or are pennies on the dollar. Took me 2 years to get a lead position, and once it was time to sign the papers I was told I would have to wait another year. The work was not to difficult. Coworkers were fun and friendly, and most of management was kind and understanding. I enjoyed helping people learn about tech and help with their issues. I learned a lot about all tech, how to be a efficient manager. and how to rebuild cellphones and computers.
Pros
Great work / life balance, coworkers, work wasn't too challenging
Cons
standing for 10+ hours a day, no room for advancement, pay is less than desirable for the type of work.
Political and Toxic
ASSET PROTECTION LEADER (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 14, 2016
Typical day consists of attempting to do one's duties with little support from leadership or a lack of follow-up. Management gives lip service to career plans and advancement, but takes very little to no actual action or direction to helping achieve those goals. There is barley any positive reinforcement for desired behaviors but leadership is quick to point out and obsess over even the smallest mistakes or the smallest dip in performance. This creates a toxic culture where even associates are so beat down that they don't show respect to their peers outside of their own departments and constantly fight among themselves and blame each other when things don't run smoothly (and they usually don't). Rewards are only ever given to sales people and there are no reward and recognition programs for the sales-support/operations team(s).
Pros
Hard to get fired according to company policy
Cons
Difficult to advance, low pay compared to competitors, expensive benefits, poor benefit coverage
A business with unlimited potential limited by poor management
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 20, 2016
The store itself is amazing. It is a great place to start off in sales and it has so much potential but unfortunately it limits itself due to lack of advertising and lack of incentive for its salesmen. You will be harassed if you aren't meeting your revenue goal, and if you exceed your revenue goal you will get a pat on the back. I would recommend this place as a first step for any person aspiring to be a good salesman because you get the experience of a salesman career without the pressure of commission based pay. The hourly pay is better than the fast food business but if you are a talented salesman you will be making about 0.5% of the revenue you make for the store per hour. Once you learn how to sell find a place that pays you for the revenue you bring to the company and management that respects your competitive attitude.
Pros
Great starting point
Cons
No incentive to sell more than is required
Fun place to work with fun co-workers
Geek Squad Consultation Agent (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 28, 2016
My day starts off and ends with talking to client about their computer problems. I access the situation and make the best recommendation for the client if we are unable to fix the computer. I've learned sales skills and how to be very personable. Management for the most part is easy going, if you end up messing up they give good advice and constructive criticism. My co-workers are fun and easy going as well. They know how to stay on task while having fun. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the technology and all the new fixes for broken computers. What I enjoy the most about the job is the competitiveness of the employees. At geek squad we hold competitions to see who is the best and win prizes.
Pros
Winning vacations
Cons
Pay and advancement
Great Start for Tech Heads
Computer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 26, 2016
I have been working for Best Buy for almost 2 years now and I have worked my way from Part Time to Supervisor. The structure and management has to be the best that I have experienced since I started my IT career. They will aide your growth and development no matter what field you decide to go in. Hard work pays off, if you are willing to work harder than your peers then they will advance you, plain and simple. Treat any and every job like its your personal business and give it that level pf workmanship.
Pros
Manager support, coworkers, friendly work place, the new technology, meeting nice people, benefits
Cons
Customer attitudes
great job site to work at as a first job. great training and environment for outgoing people
Computer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJune 28, 2016
typically at work, we contact customers on a daily basis. I've learned to understand and recommend customers solutions. the management isn't to bad but sometimes they are bias towards employees. Our co workers are easy to get along with and are very competitive. the hardest part of the job is advancement. it is very difficult to advance because management doesn't like to lose good employees for certain positions without having replacements. also another part is pay, management isn't willing to work with you for pay raise. the most enjoyable part of the job is being around technology. you learn a lot about new technology.
Pros
amazing discount
Cons
short breaks, no benefits for part time, low pay for to much work
Horrible Experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 5, 2016
Worst place to work. Managers are allowed to cuss and yell at employees and not hold the right people accountable. As soon as they feel you are a threat they will find a way to get rid of you. The worst Best Buy to work is the Best Buy on Outer Loop in Louisville, KY. The culture in the place is horrible. The operations manager does not do his job and lets the warehouse get out of hand. The sales team can not sell things because all the product is either locked up in ridiculous places or in the warehouse. This company has become one of the worst places to work at.
Benefits
Cons
Terrible management staff
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALSeptember 5, 2016
Working here is sometimes stressful, but it is directly related to the customers. Management is mostly understanding on a personal level when needing time off for emergencies. However, while there is a yearly pay raise in place, current management refuse to give much advancement (more than 15 to 20 cents) and even if an employee is meeting goals, will find a way to rate you average to avoid a significant raise. Favoritism is also a problem in this work place.
Pros
Good discount, plenty of hours, paid training
Cons
short unpaid lunch, one break per shift, no smoke breaks, rude customers
Decent transition job
Samsung Experience Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 11, 2016
The people and culture at Best Buy are great to be around and most are fun to work for. The job itself is fairly simple and enjoyable while still being a professional place to work. The downside is the management at most stores is terrible. In each store there seems to be a clique of management and privileged employees that benefit from special treatment. I enjoyed working there for the first 6 months until everything became a popularity contest and then I decided to leave. I hope that the management of the company has gotten better since because it used to be a fun place to work.
Pros
Decent discount, friendly people, flexible hours
Cons
terrible benefits, management is awful, no room for upward movement
Best Buy is a great way to make fast money or advance in a career.
Geek Squad Agent (Current Employee) –  Victor, NY 14564June 10, 2016
You have to understand it is a retail environment. Most of what people know or remember is the bad side of retail. This company however stands above the rest as far and caring about their customers and especially their employees. It is a wonderful place to work, this is depending on the area. Many areas for advancement if you are willing to push for it. Their corporate views are unlike any I have experienced. They will admit when they have made a mistake and adopt to change quite well. I see this company going far in the future as long as they keep putting key personnel in the proper positions and using their talents to their fullest extent.
Pros
Employee discount(hands down), competitive 401k and health plans, career advancement
Cons
Retail
Bad management and office politics
Advanced Repair Agent (Former Employee) –  Salem, OROctober 10, 2016
I enjoyed most of my career at Best Buy. I was promoted to the high possible paid position in the store outside of management. Good job, good coworkers, bad managers. Best Buy's local management was notoriously apathetic, very much a "if it's not my problem" attitude. This sour stain on positive memories of teamwork with coworkers, that arose from unrealistic expectations from management, unwilling to address the specific problems in departments. Employees are afraid to bring up issues with management for fear of repercussion. Internal politics play a all too important role in the day to day, and bigger picture of the store that I worked at. Unfortunate considering that the companies SOP painted a working picture of the way in which the departments should run, was disregarded for selfish means. Major staffing problems and impressive employee turnover. So much so that multiple people I had worked with, continued to stay on the books until the next year, as not the raise the GM's turnover rate.
Pros
HR department at least had power to ensure some eployees had some defense, Employee discount, Good coworker relationships bred by comaradarie in the face of bad managemnt
Cons
Heavy internal Politics, Management not concerned about employee concerns or rights
Best company I've ever worked for.
Samsung Experience Consultant (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CASeptember 17, 2016
Best Buy was by far the best company I have ever worked for. They highly value not only their customers, but also their employees. There was plenty of opportunity for advancement and reward for those of us that show we worked hard. Not event he smallest of achievements would go unnoticed. They were always willing to teach you new things and would go above and beyond to help prepare you for advancement in the company. We were frequently sent out for training on new products and they made the learning experience fun and memorable. I loved working for this company and I will never forget what they have taught me. I have become a much better person as a whole.
Pros
Perfect management, plenty of training, rewards, plenty of opportunities.
Cons
None.
Excellent place to communicate and work
Team Lead/Computers & Electronic Devices (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2016
This is a great place to work at to meet with people, inform them about the new products and helping out in picking the correct product for them. '

This place is very competitive place to get raises and promotion within the company.

Management is very busy at times, but your always learning about something new when you step foot inside the store as a employee or client.
Pros
communication, active, multi-tasking
Cons
training is poor
Very rewarding with advancement opportunities.
Mobile Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHNovember 10, 2016
I enjoyed every minute of working for the best buy mobile department. I learned so much by watching my coworkers from greeting the customer to adding attachments and protection plans. Management was always there to encourage career growth and explain anything that we had encountered a problem with. The most enjoyable part about the job was there was very little downtime there was always something to do including lending a hand in other departments and expanding my knowledge beyond the mobile department. The hardest part I would say would I have to have been learning to work the Point OF Sale system and opening new customer accounts, But once I learned it was very easy to do.
Pros
advancement opportunites, scholorships, great work environment, diversity
Cons
minimul pay
Great place to gain experience, or move up in the company
Mobile Consultant, Activations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNSeptember 21, 2016
At first glance, I didn't see Best Buy as a corporation that you're able to succeed in. Yet, I see all of the management staff drive cars they enjoy and do a real good job of motivating the staff.

The staff is typically competent, which is a big plus because the company prides itself on the employees being knowledgeable.

Best Buy offers bonus pay, depending on the stores performance, and for my department special stackable bonuses for sales goals of my mobile department.

I really don't have too many negative things to say, however the pay is a bit low. For anyone else doing my job at a carrier store, the pay is base + commission, which the base pay is starting for a mobile associate. So Best Buy does not offer competitive wages in that regard.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks; management hires reliable, knowledgeable people, great discount
Cons
low wage
Dying markert
WIRELESS SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILJuly 5, 2016
My love for electronics led me to the doors of best buy, but I was met with an unappreciative management team whose soul goal were to make numbers on their nearly blank pages better. You may find amazing co-workers, but ultimately you will be disappointed in the company as most of its costumers are. Only by paying their employees fairly can they better, but a year has shown me that they will try to raise profits by selling as many over priced items as possible while cutting costs everywhere.
Pros
Some employee discounts were worth it.
Cons
Unpleasant customers and more unpleasant managers.
Sales Consultant
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TN.June 24, 2016
A total and complete waste of time to apply to this company. All they care about is credit cards or branded payments. They come up with all sorts of stupid games to get you to sell more credit cards.They also offer the famous Geek Squad Protection plan which needs to be added to each purchase in order to increase store profits for corporate. Best Buy is all about making money from credit card interest and geek squad protection plans that offer little or no value to the customer. The management is all about evaluating employees once a week with team leads telling you everything about your poor performance variables. Just another retail store with a different sign on the door...If you enjoy a part-time job with no benefits and no future this is the place for you. The culture is very important it is all about corporate/ management making lots of money and you making little or nothing. As soon as you start working immediately start applying for a new job this is a one way ticket to nowhere!
Pros
a Retail Job
Great Place to Work
Computing, Customer Service, Operations and HR (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 17, 2016
This is easily one of the best retail companies I have ever worked for. It is a family more than a job and everyone works to meet those numbers that always hang over our heads. I can't say enough positive about this place every since they "relaunched" under new management.
Pros
Family, Work Life Balance, Advancement Opportunities or ability to "Master" a position you love.
Cons
Retail - so hours can be difficult at times.
Fun place to work at, great environment
Customer Service Specialist/Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJuly 12, 2016
As Best Buy being my first workplace it definetely help me develop as a person and my professional career as a customer service and sales associate.
Learned ways to create solutions for customers, gained a lot of product knowledge about applicances
From the GM to the team leaders management is well organize and makes sure customers and employees are happy and well taken care of.
Extremely fun to work with co-workers
Keeping busy while the store is slow
Pros
benefits, competitions
Cons
short lunches
Decent pay, decent bonus potential, high turnover.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 11, 2016
High turnover, unrealistic expectations, poor work/life balance, decent compensation. Company claims to care about their employees development, training, work/life balance, but does not stand up for them.
Pros
Paid travel, training, team culture.
Cons
Long hours, poor work-life balance, poor communication from corporate, unfair treatment of employees.