Best Buy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,856 reviews matching the search
Great Workplace, Horrible Management
Home Theater Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 22, 2016
Only cared about sales, not what was right for customers needs. Most coworkers worked as if they were on commission and many customers left with wrong product because associates were not properly trained.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 22, 2016
Best buy was a laid back job, it wasn't too demanding, I have no complaints. If you love gaming or tech stuff it's a nice place to work.
Sales/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 22, 2016
I made good money, nice friends, and learned alot from this company. It was the best job I've probably ever had thus far. They taught us more than how to be good employees.
Pros
We were a team
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Best Buy is ok
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2016
It is at least better than Marshalls... That place was just completely unfair and made me miserable. Best Buy at least offers many benefits for their employees. They really do care... Unlike Marshalls.
Pros
Awesome discounts
Cons
They want you to sell as if you were on commission... but dont reward you at all.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 21, 2016
Best Buy is in a fight to stay relevant in the big box arena. With the growth of the on line business the company is forced to put the pressure on the store teams to drive the business and forget the human side of the equation
Pros
Technology
Cons
Lack of care for the employees
Great company, terrible managers
expert product knowledge (Current Employee) –  Deptford, NJJuly 21, 2016
Worked for 3 years as a Lead Sales professional for audio video control unit
Worked on day to day tasks
Met sales quotas
Expert product knowledge in home consults
Excellent place to work throughout college
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 20, 2016
Enjoyed the culture and my teammates
Electronics!! Big discounts for employees
Not enough opportunities for advancement
Pros
Culture- Coworkers- Discount
Cons
Advancement Opportunities
Great work environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 20, 2016
When I worked there I enjoyed going to work each shift. The morning meetings were fun, and the management staff were very friendly and approachable.
Good at first
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 20, 2016
I can't speak for Best Buy as a company, but the one that I work at on Broadway in Tucson is slowly going downhill. When I first started, I was told that it was a non-commissioned sales position that had an emphasis on helping people learn about technology and find the best solution to their problems. It may not always be the most expensive, but it would be the one that would keep them satisfied. I was told that I would never be fired for my numbers.

During my first couple of months, I tried to stick to that mentality of helping people and not so much worrying about upselling or numbers. The management was careful to correct my usage of "push" and other such words that might sound like commissioned salesman talk and instead encouraged words like "offer" to describe telling people about the credit cards or moving people to more expensive options.

I then found out that the entire thing was a sham. They grade employees harshly on the amount of products they can push out per sale including how many accessories they can add on; all the while promoting it as "building the complete package". Employees are trained in commission sales tactics that are disguised in fluff to give better customer reception.

To top it all off, I hope you're not looking for job security. They'll tell you that advancement is quick but only if you do well with numbers and are in a full time position to begin with. Lord help you if you're a part-timer. Part-timers are constantly overturned when they reach the end of the first year. If you're not overturned, don't hold your breath on making full time.
  more... They will cut hours and do whatever they can to keep you out of it. On top of that, we are told quite frequently that our jobs are not permanent. One manager was telling us about some store closures in Phoenix where Best Buy just decided to not renew the lease on the store and left all its employees (including the General Manager) out to dry. No warning, no help finding new jobs, nothing. That is definitely not how you treat your employees.

The skinny of it is, the discount is great, but the management is terrible.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Great people and great company if you do your job
Mobile Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Opelika, ALJuly 20, 2016
I love the store that I am in now. Auburn AL store management are great people to work with. The rule is DO YOUR JOB. Everyone is considered equal and our opinions count. We had a lot of turnover in the store because we had a lot of lazy people that did not care about anyone else or their jobs....... The managers are the best in the business and opportunities are great. This is a high performing store with high performing managers and employees. I can say if you work there you will be a master of sales very soon after and any Best Buy in the country will pick you up!!!!!!
Pros
Great people
Cons
Retail
Cashier
Sales Associate /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 19, 2016
fun work place. not a permanent job or career. very good work experience and liked working part time there most of the time, but not for the long term solution.
Company Culture
Operations Senior & Back Office HR Lead (Former Employee) –  Bowling, TNJuly 19, 2016
Company culture is key to success. The company is good with change management and handles its successes and failures well.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Benefits, Culture
Great company to work for
Home Theater Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 19, 2016
Best Buy is a great place to work if you love changing technology and people. Best Buy gives you the proper training you need to keep up with all of the new and exciting products that come out. They are flexible with your schedule and their pay out isn't too much to complain about. You get paid well over minimum wage with no commission so it works out!
Pros
Employee Discounts, Good Pay and Fun
Was a very good company
Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PA 17112July 19, 2016
a lot of benefits and discounts
good managment. The manager was a good person that want to help to everyone wants everyone with a positive attituded
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
fun place to work theres always a chance to get promoted
Appliance Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJuly 19, 2016
the day startes for me at 9:45 am iam the opener i ll prepare morning paperwork ,bring out the cash tills and also reboot the system for opening .i enjoyed workim
ng there i worked there for almost 12yrs
great place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTJuly 19, 2016
working in best buy has taught me a lot. I have grown in customer service and in technology knowledge. It is a fun place to work at and if you work hard you will get everything you want from the company.
Pros
great place to learn about technology and sales
Cons
when you work less than 7:30 hours you wont get a break if the management thinks it is busy
It is a fun workplace with a go get them attitude, and always working towards that perfect customer experience.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MIJuly 18, 2016
Best Buy is a fun place to work if you have few bills to pay and you still live with your parents. They do not schedule you very consistent hours unless you are full time and even then they do not want to schedule you a minute of overtime. It is very hard to move up in the ranks at best buy. they only look at sales numbers and do not take into account any actual leadership potential. I have a lot of leadership potential but I do not get a chance to show it very often as I have no authority to do so. I am fine with most of my coworkers, it is the leadership that I have a problem with. I work at the best buy in south land mall and a lot of our traffic is only passing through to go to the main part of the mall. Which means our store may look busy but the customers are not there for best buy. But we are still getting yelled at when are numbers are not up to par even though we have not had the right kind of customers in the store to sell things too. I did learn valuable selling skills as a result, and know how to pitch a product even if I do not know much about it.
Fun place to work at as well as educational.
Multi-Channel Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COJuly 18, 2016
Fun and educational place to work at. Co-workers were great fun people to work with. Also very educational with technology and programs. There had been a lot of changes as well as a closed store with three years.
Only good for a first job.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 18, 2016
Good for a first job, favoritism rules here. can't do anything about that. Management benefits from everything that sales.
Pros
Great and humble people as co workers
Cons
corrupt management
Great Place to work
Back Office Leader (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 18, 2016
Best Buy has been a great place to work while in school. I have enjoyed working for this company. They worked around my school schedule and provided me with tools I will take when entering my career field.