Best Buy
4,727 reviews

Best Buy Employer Reviews

Great people and great atmosphere
Specialty Sales Manager- Connections (Current Employee), Woodbridge, NJAugust 22, 2014
Sales driven culture of hard working individuals that strive to provide a world class retailing experience for every client.
Consultation Agent (Current Employee), San Luis Obispo, CAAugust 22, 2014
I really enjoy working with technology and this job gave me the experience and skills necessary to move up in the company.
Everyday Life At Best Buy
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Pearland, TXAugust 22, 2014
Coming into work at Best Buy is fun for me, because I know that I can count on my co-workers and managers to make me laugh and have a good time when I'm not in the best mood. The hardest part of working part is not being able to help some of the customers out, when they are outside of the return policy, or when we cant price match something.
Fun Job
Team Leader (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NJAugust 22, 2014
Pros: various work
Cons: heavy lifting
Best part is working as a team to get multiple tasks done throughout the day.
Good opportunity and welcoming environment
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
Other than days when the truck comes in, it is laid back and time ti train and understand the job.On truck days it is fast paced and long days but it goes fast. Management is flexible and will work with you.
Fun place to work
Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee), White Marsh, MDAugust 22, 2014
I had a lot of fun working at Best Buy. I am very electronic savvy. With this being said, I was only part time and needed to leave for a full time job elsewhere.
productive and fun place to work with gadgets.
Computer and Digital Imaging Sales Associate (Current Employee), Charleston,SCAugust 22, 2014
i have enjoyed working with Best Buy and learning on a daily basis about current technology.
Not a bad place to work but no the best.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good pay, great discount, flexible schedule.
Cons: ever changing rules, frustrated management, no benefits at all for part time workers.
Working at Best Buy is not a bad job. They pay is better than at most places and the discount is great. However, the company can't seem to decide on a business model. A company has to change and adapt to grow but at Best Buy the changes are much too frequent.
Fun place to work on selling skills
Helped Supervisor/ Magnolia Sales Professional (Former Employee), Norwalk, CTAugust 21, 2014
Pros: nice hours
Awesome place to show how well you can sell products to customers who want the latest and greatest. Coworkers always helped eachother succeed by helping train and answer questions. Enjoyable part was getting everything a customer needed and having them tell family and friends to shop there as well.
First job
Supervisor (Former Employee), INAugust 21, 2014
This was my first job in high school. This is where I started my sales path. Helping customers with anything that they needed. Management was good as far as I knew. CO-workers were great. Hardest part was the hours during the holidays. Helping customers was the most enjoyable part.
The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Cashier (Former Employee), North TexasAugust 21, 2014
Pros: benefits, discounts, cell phone use, lax environment
Cons: sales expectations, terrible management, bad ethics, poor customer service
The Good:
The store does a fairly good job of training you - almost to an annoying extent, because you have to take monthly "e-learning" programs. Both stores were good about cell phones - as long as you don't abuse it or use it in front of the customers. The benefits are great - especially the pay and, oh gosh, the employee discount! You can now use – more... it online, which is pretty amazing. Overall, the environment is pretty lax and you feel more independence than with other companies. Also, Best Buy employees are NOT commissioned, so that's pretty awesome.

The Bad:
There are a couple annoying things about the environment of Best Buy: such as the "clique" feeling and amount of drama floating behind the scenes. After all, a lot of young people are attracted to working there, so that sort of comes with the territory. If you end up in Customer Service, be aware of the terrible return policy (15 days) that Best Buy has picked up - it will make your life difficult. The company is generally in favor of not making return exceptions, though some Managers will out of kindness.

The Ugly:
Probably the worst thing about Best Buy is their sales ethics. It seems like the company will do almost anything to have you sell to someone. The second worse thing would be the Management behind said sales. I've had supervisors off-handedly threaten to lower your hours (or change your department) if you don't sell as well. That's something I was warned about before I started working there, and it turned out to be true. Probably about half of my Managers were total jerkwads.

We had a particular supervisor that threatened to write someone up for refusing to clean the bathrooms, destroyed displays in order to make the employees "do it better this time", and was even pretty rude to customers, too. I know that's just one supervisor, but there were a few other selections that didn't treat their employees too kindly, either.

Overall:
It can be a very thankless job if you aren't good at sales. If you don't have issues with your selling skills, Best Buy may just be the place for you. The company overall took good care of me, but their ethics and selection of management is something that I question. – less
Great place to work, with always changing products!
Specialty Sales Manager-Connections (Former Employee), Barboursville, WvAugust 21, 2014
Pros: fun, fast-paced, newest technology!
Cons: inconsistent leadership.
Loved working for Best Buy, after several General managers, the latest one decided that he would let go of all current management staff. That part wasn't great but prior to that I was promoted twice in two years and had a fun and exciting day every time I came to work.
productive fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oldsmar, FLAugust 21, 2014
Pros: discounts, free food on occasions, great staff
Cons: not consistant hours
Typical day at work was at the customer service desk helping with returns and questions the customers had and work in check out if needed. Down time we would organize products to look neat and orderly. My co-works and managers were like family we all got alone and everyone helped out each other if needed to keep things running smoothly in the store.
Hard work but worth it
SALES SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), East BrunswickAugust 21, 2014
A typical day at work varied by which department I was working in. When i worked in the appliance department, I was involved with training employees to work with Best Buy's delivery order system. I am currently working in the inventory department which involves merchandising, functionality, and pricing.
Not a bad place
Customer Service (Former Employee), West Mifflin, PAAugust 21, 2014
Good for college students or someone who needs a part time job
Exciting job with ever changing management
SALES LEADER (Former Employee), League City, TXAugust 21, 2014
Pros: team environment with fun people
Cons: meager benefits, high turnaround
The job itself is straight forward. It can be a fun and enjoyable experience, but the turnaround rate is pretty high for both employees and management. I could say that I enjoyed myself with my coworkers and managers, but that would only be at three month intervals. With people coming and going so often, you tend to just focus on your assignments and – more... nothing else. – less
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee), West Nyack, NYAugust 20, 2014
Great job . Great management & co-workers. Learned a little bit from there.
Fun job in retail
Geek Squad - Home Theater Installs (Former Employee), Enfield, CTAugust 20, 2014
I bounced all over the store and worked in many different departments. My main job was Geek Squad - Home theater installs. I loved going out to customers homes and setting up their home theater systems even when the hours were long. The company definitely makes you feel appreciated. One store meeting we had a Guitar Hero contest for a prize. The coworkers – more... and management were always down to earth and friendly. The General Manager that I had when I worked there was strict but fair. If you did not know how to do something, he would take the time out to show you how to. Great guy. One of those jobs where they feel more like family than coworkers. – less
Great learning experience and start in job market
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: high turnover with supervisors and management
Learned to handle cash, help customers, process credit card applications, and process returns of merchandise.
What Can I Say It's Retail
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Westminster, CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: employees
I worked as a cashier/sales consultant in the front lanes of the store. There was a lot of training provided which I liked. After a week I had the registers down and was slowly given other responsibilities such as closing shift.

Closing shift is making sure the front lanes are presentable. Clean all the counter tops, stock all the snacks and food in – more... front lanes, inventory check on Sunday mornings, and putting all the items customers left in the right place. Doesn't seem like much, but when the store closes at 10 and you need to be out by 10:30 it is like a race.

Best part of the job were the other employees. They made it enjoyable after a tough day with an argumentative customer. The hardest part was selling credit cards. The store has a quota to make with the Best Buy Credit Cards, and I am not a great sales person. When someone says no I drop the subject. – less

About Best Buy

Best Buy Co., Inc. (Best Buy) is a specialty retailer of consumer electronics, home office products, entertainment software, appliances – Read more