Best Buy Employee Reviews in United States

Found 9,867 reviews matching the search
Fun place to work with excellent benefits.
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 2, 2015
My daily job description was to generate daily inventory on hand audit counts. I also was required to on a rotation shifts to be acting manager on duty for the store. I also managed the loss prevention department. The great aspect of this job was the opportunity for consent growth in product knowledge and available training. My co-workers were always fun to work with because there were common department goals on a daily basis. The hardest parts of the job was getting in early morning to ready the store and staying late on the same day to receive trucks.
Pros
Great pay, excellent employee discount, and exceptional benefits
Cons
Corporation growth to fast not enough training for the new incoming management trainees.
Great Entry Point
Geek Squad In-Store Agent (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOJanuary 24, 2016
If you're still in school, looking for a part time job, Best Buy is a great place to start. You'll learn a lot about basic customer service and following rules that are passed down from management.

The pay isn't the best, but it is usually a lot of fun. The employees are all great people who are fun to spend time with, so you'll probably make some life-long friends.
Pros
Great culture, great discount, and fun to work.
Cons
Low pay, and the corporate overhead sometimes feels disconnected.
Great Place to Work!
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milford, MAMarch 16, 2016
This is truly a great place to get a head start on pursuing a career in anything technology related. I work with great hardworking people who take what they do seriously even though we are in a retail environment. My management is great and I truly have no complaints.
Pros
Great Leadership, Extremely Understanding
Cons
N/A
Challenging, but rewarding place of work
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 4, 2016
The store really did feel like it belonged to everyone. Everyone had a job and it was expected that they pull their weight. The management I had here was the absolute best I've ever experienced. Feedback was always constructive and if he had an issue with you, you knew about it. The hardest part of the job was when we'd get slammed, but because of the management things rarely got out of hand.
Pros
Excellent management, fun culture
A good company with a can-do attitude
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PASeptember 21, 2015
I loved my time at Best Buy. Even at its worst, it was one of the best jobs I ever had. To this day, I am saddened by the corporate restructure that eliminated my position.

Best Buy cares about its employees, makes an effort to compete with online retailers.

It gets hectic and high-pressure during Christmas time, but that's to be expected. Daily tasks are typically enjoyable and the culture around trying out new products is crazy fun. There's nothing more awesome than unboxing a brand new product to learn about it and then setting up an awesome demonstration to wow your customers. Best Buy encourages individuality and innovation. And the stuff they sell is awesome.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Fun Work Environment, you can play video games and listen to music at work, Team culture is unmatched
Cons
Benefits weren't great, Sales goals were often unrealistic, Bonus structure often not attainable
Boring workplace with little to do.
Operations Consultant (Geek Squad) (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 28, 2016
The only real challenge comes on black friday. Your job then is to go around and help customers find what they need. I was instructed to keep doing this past that holiday then got complained about by other employees because I was doing so. The first day I got there, I was told that I should quit and find a different job. When I approached management, they stated that the employee would be dealt with. That employee received no consequences and repeated in telling me that I should quit often.
Pros
Work with a lot of friendly customers and share your knowledge with them
Cons
Employees only care about themselves.
Pretty good job
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 25, 2015
My typical day at work helping costumers purchase products currently meet their needs and other benefits of the product. typical day of work is selling electronics, helping costumers, and cleaning up my stations not saying anything wrong with way of life I was pretty happy.
My management is pretty assume gave me a idea how sales consultant life is. I pretty much learned the hard way to be independent and do my homework before selling electronics. I cant think hardest part of the job because enjoy the entire job even though it was challenge at the beginning. Showing up doing a good job and leaving with a good product. I enjoyed the job and the new challenges came with the job at best buy. I would encourage any starting out in retail work Best Buy. I think they would let you know if your retail metareal
Pros
Work with costumers and quick learning curve
Cons
slow parts of the day
Great Work Place
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHApril 1, 2016
I think best buy is a great company to work for. A typical day at work depends on the department you are in but they train you very well and always do role playing to make sure you know what is needed to do your job. I learned a lot of not just product knowledge here but customer service and computer skills. The management is pretty friendly. I loved the co workers that I had we had so much fun. The hardest part of the job some days is to meet your quota for the day if theres a slow day or sometimes morning shifts are a little bit harder. The most enjoyable part of my job was having fun with the people i worked with and still getting my job done by finding just what my customers needed.
Pros
fun environment, good pay, good hours
Cons
quotas, lots of testing
Not bad, not great, but very stable
Geek Squad Agent, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 15, 2016
I've worked for this company for many years in many capacities, and I can say that it's not a bad place to work (experiences vary greatly on locations).
The company in general does indeed care about the employees and their experiences (which is enforced by reviews, boards, contact with corporate leaders etc.). Management is where the line becomes fuzzy as some managers work their way up in the company, and some are just placed there because of experiences. Much management does not know anything at all about the culture, procedures of experiences (nor respects them) when they let outsiders work in upper positions within the company.
The discount is pretty nice, and full-time employees get a nice benefits package that includes sick, PTO, TAP, dental, vision and medical.
The pay isn't bad, but you WILL have to work to achieve decent pay. The average associate makes around $10 an hour unless they're in leadership. General managers in the companies make triple digits most of the time.

Overall a decent place to work; however, do NOT seek to work here long-term unless you are DETERMINED to advance within the company. If retail is a career aspiration, the company can be very lucritive and a great place. For high school and college students, it's a great way to earn a little extra cash and get some toys for cheap.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement program, stability, bonuses, advancements, HR support, benefits, employee discounts, job opportunities, connections, work culture
Cons
Inexperienced management, bad work/home life, sporadic scheduling, late hours, bad politics, unprofessional environment, dress code, obnoxious music
It's retail... So yeah.
Multi-channel Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXDecember 20, 2015
A typical day at work for me consisted of having everything ready for "opening up shop", and that more or less consisted of a mindset more so than anything tangible. I worked at the Customer Service desk, so I had to be poised to expect any disgruntled or unruly customers at a moment's notice. I learned to multi-task efficiently during this time, meanwhile channeling my patience. I had to accept working by myself when someone disappeared, so it helped me become independent in a sense. Some management will be there to have your back, and some will just be bodies that are nowhere to be seen. It really depends on the store, but from my experience, out of the six or seven managers, about three or four helped out diligently. My co-workers, on the other hand, are very helpful. They will usually make or break your experience at a retail establishment. My co-workers come together and understand how to take care of business efficiently, which made for better operations.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Low work/life balance, the crazy environment (it's NOT for everyone)
How employees are treated
Merchandise and Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WINovember 17, 2015
There is very little room for advancement working for Best Buy. The employees that do work hard and try to make an improvement at Best Buy are the employees that are taken advantage of. There is little to no recognition to the employees behind the scenes. Members of management can not be trusted, and the managers that can be trusted are ridiculed by upper management.
Pros
Employee discount
Fun, but underpaid
Computers and Digital Imaging Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 14, 2015
The job is fun, and I work with a great team! My leaders are great, my hours are flexible and there is plenty of advancement available if you put forth the effort. The only downside is the sales floor is very numbers driven. It's basically like a commission based environment, without the commission. The pay isn't great either, but thats why you'd want to advance. The higher up you go, the better you get compensated for your work. GMs and supervisors are well-paid.
Pros
Fun, Great Benefits, Employee Discount
Cons
Working Thanksgiving and other holidays, Pay for Sales Consultants
Productive Place Very nice to interact with employees/customers
Computer Sales (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILMarch 29, 2016
I started working at Best Buy at Sixteen, I was the youngest person to work on the sales floor before starting on register. I loved learning about the different parts in a computer, i also loved explaining to customers which computer / product would benefit them the most. Hardest part about the job was the management it was very unclear what the managers were asking from the employees sometime they would ask us to help customers in different departments. Ex. Home theater but then would get agitated that we were not in our departments they were lots of managers at best buy who did not communicate with themselves. The most enjoyable part about my job was talking to customers. Not every customer was fun to talk to but often customers like to talk about whats going on in their life or the reason that they are shopping for a new laptop / tv.
Great place to work, fun environment, great benefits, little room to move up
MOBILE SALES LEAD (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VAMarch 26, 2016
Best Buy has been a fantastic place to work. Great discount, fun work environment and friendly co workers. I have worked incredibly hard to make myself valuable to the company, which seems to provide me with unique and amazing opportunities. Unfortunately, I have been promised advancement for some time now and I have yet to see any change. Although considering what is provided to me, its hard to complain. Its an awesome job and stepping stone to bigger and better things, but I have a hard time seeing a career being made.
Working in the store provides more advancement and experience to open doors. The corporate level jobs are more limited to your starting position.
Project Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 17, 2015
I worked in both the store and on corporate level merchandising (Project Team). Working in store gave more experience and more possibility to move up in the company. Project team on the other hand, did not have as many opportunities, there is no set schedule, and the management I had, did not have employees best interests in mind.

Overall Best Buy is a great place to work, working inside a store however is a much better place to be than in lower corporate positions.

*all areas are very different and all jobs have their ups and downs, Best Buy does have more ups than downs
Pros
Enjoyable environment, experience, discounts
Cons
HR, scheduling, benefits
Generally Positive
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I genuinely enjoy the environment and the people. The commercial branch, BBFB, operates a bit outside of the core operations which makes for some frustrations and seemingly unneccesary challenges. Management is hit and miss. Inspirational VP. There are some incredible people that will continue to rise through the ranks and then there are a few questionable leaders that are probably holding some talent down. The compensation structure is pretty poor but manageable.
Fun environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, CAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work involves selling products to meet an hourly goal. I learned how to interact with people of all sorts and overcome objections. Management takes turns floor leading to motivate sales force and connect employees with customers. Co-workers are a very diverse segment of the job as they all come from different backgrounds and interact on the same team because nobody works for commission. The hardest part of the job is trying to overcome objections because people keep giving more and more when you come up with a solution instead of saying "I'm not really buying a product today". The most enjoyable part of a job is that you can interact with many people.
Productive and Fast Paced work environment
Project Team Specialist, Corporate Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2016
Best Buy is a wonderful place to work. The positions I have taken have helped me advance and taught me a lot about myself and have taught me very useful skills for my future. The management is very flexible and fair. My co-workers worked just as hard as me to help get our goals accomplished. There were times we worked as a team and or times we worked by ourselves which gave us the chance to be responsible for our own work and making sure it got done. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the people. The employees are nice and you make many new friends being part of this company. The customers are great too!!!
Fun job
Sales Lead Home Entertainment (Former Employee) –  West Nyack, NYDecember 16, 2015
If you know your technology, it can be a fun job to work.
Working with others because you have the same goals is what made it fun. The pay wasn't great. It's impossible to live on $10/hour.
Best Buy does give you plenty of opportunity to advance in the company which was a great benefit of working for them. Their health care for full time workers was also an amazing plus for the job.
I unfortunately had to leave because the store GM at the time told me i didn't deserve a raise though my supervisor fought her hardest to try change their minds.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Very low pay
will take you for what you're worth
Computer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MINovember 20, 2015
I worked there for quite a while. And for the most part, it was a great place to work. How ever, they worked me 50 hours a week, which I did not mind. They would not advance me to full time even though I had been working these hours for quite a few months. It was super frustrating to work as a full time employee but not be a full time employee. I missed out on a lot of benefits because they would not give me full time status. This was very demoralizing as well. I did not like how management would encourage us to take full advantage of the customers. To push all of our products on them. This ended up frustrating the customers and as a result a loss of sale.
Pros
awesome co-workers
Cons
Very pushy managment