BEST FITNESS

BEST FITNESS Employer Reviews

Unprofessional, Incompetent corporate staff bleeds into very poor working environment
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee), Tonawanda, NYFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: fellow employees
Cons: everything else - from pay to work/life balance to poor leadership, you name it
Corporate leadership is a group of old friends who run this business like a backyard flag football team. They make all the money and leave employees working 10-12 hours per day, 6 (or more) days a week for less than minimum wage, and depending on falsified time sheets to cover them from lawsuits. "Commission" structure is very weak, and the commitment – more... to helping employees succeed (or be satisfied with their job) is nonexistent.
I was fortunate to work with some great people, which is what kept me going for the months I was there - otherwise it would have been even worse.
Corporate sales structure depends on pressuring people into very misleading contracts that are purposely confusing and near impossible to get out of. The vast majority of "members" (probably over 80%) haven't been to the gym in over 6months, yet continue to get charged due to the contract that they were not properly explained. Additional fees are tacked on like candy and I was forced to send countless accounts to collections due to mistakes on our part. I truly felt bad for our members... I personally would never join a gym that is run like Best Fitness.
You ask why I took this position? The Vice President of Sales lied to me in my interview (much like they taught us to lie to prospects to sell memberships), and pumped up the position with falsified facts.
After being told there was an open door policy, I went to this same VP of Sales with some possible suggestions and ideas on how we might improve. I was put on the chopping block and told to quit since I "didn't agree with anything we are doing here." This is a perfect example of the corporate mentality and treatment of employees at Best Fitness.
We were trained to reciprocate this behavior and to be purposefully rude and unconcerned towards members when dealing with their problems. I stayed away from these encounters as much as possible and when forced to confront an issue, many times went against company protocol for my better judgment and helped the customer in ways we were trained not to - only to have to carefully cover my tracks so as not to get disciplined by the power-hungry corporate leadership team. My co-workers would get weekly calls from corporate managers using obscene and degrading language, cursing and the like. This forced a few employees to quit. I was lucky enough to avoid those calls somehow.
Best Fitness also posts ONLY positive reviews on their website and on Facebook... the negative ones are deleted, much like complaints and Better Business Bureau suits.

I will also say that this is a painfully honest review - I am not reviewing out of anger or malice or spite. I just think it is important that potential employees and potential gym members alike know the truth.

I know this was a long review, so thank you for taking the time to read it. Hopefully it helps someone. – less
Fast paced, high energy environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Erie, PAJanuary 5, 2014
The workplace had very high energy which made each day a fun experience. Although there was not much balance between life and work, the workdays did go by quickly. Corporate managment needs to do a better job with employee satisfaction and give back to the employee. This will promote a more positive attitude and decrease the amount of turnover.
State of the art fitness facility offering group exercise, personal training and a wide array of fitness equipment
Yoga Instructor/Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), Nashua, NHSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: fun, steady place to work
Cons: few raises
A great place to work, advancement for those who embrace training opportunities and keep up with new class formats
High Energy,Productive,
Maintaince (Current Employee), Lowell, MAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: positive work enviroment, free gym membership
Cons: repetitive.
Typical day at best fitness starts with coming in at 4 and leaving at 8. I start my routine cleaning,trash, bathrooms, mirrors,windows, vacuuming the floors and cardio deck. Haven't really learned that much about cleaning maybe learned about different cleaning products. As goes management my manager Joe is easy going Ive known him for a couple years – more... before because of being a member of the gym since 2007. My co-workers are really positive, laid back, productive people.Hardest part of the job is working during rush hours and trying to keep the place maintained. Id say the most enjoyable part of the job is getting a free membership. – less
not a good place for long term career
Fitness Specialist (Former Employee), nashua, nhJuly 18, 2013
All about the money. Their motto is your only good as your last month.
Fun fast paced company. Required to work extended hours,
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee), Schenectady, NYOctober 3, 2012
Call and confirm appointments, Tour, Pitch and sell potential members the fitness facility.

About BEST FITNESS

BestFit Solutions - A small business consulting firm to help you grow and prosper. BestFit Solutions is a proven small business – Read more