BEST FITNESS Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Daycare Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 24, 2017
Worked there while going to school, great job with flexible hours, low stress, and great coworkers. Management has high turn over which causes procedures and rules to change often, but overall would recommend the job if you enjoy being around children of all ages.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
Short shifts
Fun Place to Work
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMay 20, 2017
If you enjoy personal fitness and what to learn what its like working in the world of personal fitness then any position at best fitness will gewt you that. Fun first Job and mangment treats you like family.
Pros
Fun, free membership included
Cons
hours
Maintenance Staff (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHMay 17, 2017
I would clean the bathroom then move on to the some of the work out equipment and wrap the day up cleaning a workout room. I learned how to clean efficiently and how to spot grim from a mile away. The management seemed to be very thankful of my time at there. The workplace became a very personal place, as much as I tried to keep to myself it seemed like people really wanted to become closer to me. The hardest part of the job was definitely the bathrooms. The most enjoyable part was getting to clean the Group-X room while listening to music.
Pros
Break room with refridgerator, Free Gym Membership
Cons
Work days become Double Shower Days
Left Because I Did Not Agree With Everything
Group Exercise Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 8, 2017
I left this job because I was not comfortable with the management and how the gym was run. I did not feel comfortable in my position, and wanted to leave before things got worse.
Great Company
Kids Club Attendant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMay 2, 2017
Great place to work everyone is very welcoming and friendly is a nice place to work the hours are flexible and is very easy work my experience working at best fitness has been great
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Not a good Management
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 6, 2017
Management was lacking and did not care about their employees. Very disorganized with the time scheduling and other employees did not meet the qualifications to be working in this atmosphere
Learning experience
Communication Intern, Independent Study (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Great trainer, would like to have been more helpful to her mission but believe I set her up for success. it was a good time working with her.
Good place to work if you dont have any out of work responsibility.
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee) –  67 Parkhurst rdJanuary 13, 2017
Started off as front desk and got a promotion to fitness counselor. The job was very fun and life changing then management changed and it all went down hill. It was a good way to learn how to help people build confidence and a game plan to change their lives. Hardest part about the job was xalling at least 150 a day from 8 am to 9 pm regardless if they had interest or not.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Poor management and terrible hours.
Okay to work for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYNovember 22, 2016
Very demanding. No work life balance. Best Fitness you do create good relationships with co-workers. The company does pay their employees well, but no work life balance.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
no work life balance
Passionate culture, and room for growth
Fitness Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, MASeptember 24, 2016
The company is innovative in its approach to the fitness industry. Great work/life balance with upward mobility, a great bonus structure, and opportunity for overtime.
Challenging position.
Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 5, 2016
Got to the point where I was doing the same thing every day calling the same people over and over again trying to get them to join. Company also did not allow me to share certain crucial information which I believe hurt business because it made us seem sneaky.
Productive fun learning work environment
November, Fitness Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 2, 2016
A typical day at work consist of the day to day tasks of a fitness councilor. Best Fitness is a wonderful company and place to work at with a constant learning experience every single day.
Pros
Management, atmosphere
Cons
time
Productive and Fun environment with bright personalities
Fitness Professional (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Servicing appointments and helping clients achieve all their fitness goals. Going out on the floor and speaking with members helping them with whatever questions they may have.
Fun Place to work
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJuly 28, 2015
This job was fast paced and pretty much stress free. I love people so I was able to interact with members quite easily and had no problem making my sales goals. I also learned a ton about fitness training which went right along with my background in Aquatics. The management however was very lacking of proper ethics or consistency.
No time for life
Manager of Sales (Former Employee) –  Buffalo New YorkJuly 27, 2015
With Best Fitness there was no job security and the y expected you to work all day and night. They did not care much about your life outside of work.
Not a great company to work for
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 29, 2015
The pay was significantly less than what I was told in my interview. Terrible commission and bonus structure. 5 day work weeks typically became 6 or 7 day work weeks. Extremely high turnover rate.
Pros
Working in a gym
Cons
Everything else
After 5 years they toss you aside like you did not matter
Gym (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 11, 2015
no one should work for them and everyone that does should quit the owners screw over ever member they have and all the employes they should go out of business.
Great place to work as a personal trainer.
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Working for Best Fitness was a great experience. The company puts a lot of emphasis on building and supporting the personal training department which is a breath of fresh air in an industry where there is such a heavy focus on the membership sales side. This company gets it right.
Pros
Great co workers, you can move up and grow with this company
Cons
health insurance very hard to achieve as a trainer
Great Company to work for.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAMarch 19, 2014
Excel, Word, Outlook, Data Entry, Payroll, Switchboard Operator, Customer Service, Dispatching.
Unprofessional, Incompetent corporate staff bleeds into very poor working environment
Fitness Counselor (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYFebruary 23, 2014
Corporate leadership is a group of old friends who run this business like a backyard flag football team. They make all the money and leave employees working 10-12 hours per day, 6 (or more) days a week for less than minimum wage, and depending on falsified time sheets to cover them from lawsuits. "Commission" structure is very weak, and the commitment to helping employees succeed (or be satisfied with their job) is nonexistent.
I was fortunate to work with some great people, which is what kept me going for the months I was there - otherwise it would have been even worse.
Corporate sales structure depends on pressuring people into very misleading contracts that are purposely confusing and near impossible to get out of. The vast majority of "members" (probably over 80%) haven't been to the gym in over 6months, yet continue to get charged due to the contract that they were not properly explained. Additional fees are tacked on like candy and I was forced to send countless accounts to collections due to mistakes on our part. I truly felt bad for our members... I personally would never join a gym that is run like Best Fitness.
You ask why I took this position? The Vice President of Sales lied to me in my interview (much like they taught us to lie to prospects to sell memberships), and pumped up the position with falsified facts.
After being told there was an open door policy, I went to this same VP of Sales with some possible suggestions and ideas on how we might improve. I was put on the chopping block and told to quit since I "didn't agree with anything we are doing here."
  more... This is a perfect example of the corporate mentality and treatment of employees at Best Fitness.
We were trained to reciprocate this behavior and to be purposefully rude and unconcerned towards members when dealing with their problems. I stayed away from these encounters as much as possible and when forced to confront an issue, many times went against company protocol for my better judgment and helped the customer in ways we were trained not to - only to have to carefully cover my tracks so as not to get disciplined by the power-hungry corporate leadership team. My co-workers would get weekly calls from corporate managers using obscene and degrading language, cursing and the like. This forced a few employees to quit. I was lucky enough to avoid those calls somehow.
Best Fitness also posts ONLY positive reviews on their website and on Facebook... the negative ones are deleted, much like complaints and Better Business Bureau suits.

I will also say that this is a painfully honest review - I am not reviewing out of anger or malice or spite. I just think it is important that potential employees and potential gym members alike know the truth.

I know this was a long review, so thank you for taking the time to read it. Hopefully it helps someone.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Everything else - from pay to work/life balance to poor leadership, you name it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BEST FITNESS. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval