Best Friends Animal Society

Best Friends Animal Society Employer Reviews

Sub-Par Friends
Caregiver (Former Employee), Kanab, UTJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: on-site cafeteria, working with animals
Cons: management's apathy and narcissism towards their employees and local community
As another review pointed out, Best Friends' name applies to animals only; don't expect any warm, friendly, meaningful human interaction.

The culture at Best Friends is one built and maintained with a generous supply of narcissism holding it up at the foundation. Best Friends is the be-all, end-all when it comes to the industry standard... and they'll – more... tell you where to go and how to get there if you disagree.

Many highly qualified, animal-loving people have passed through their doors, only to be cycled back out of them within a 2 year period after they've given all they can offer. People can and have donated days, weeks, moths, years of their life to the organization, even without pay, only to be chewed up and spit out once they made one too many suggestions or corrections.

A valuable lesson anyone can learn about an animal shelter when they look at Best Friends, is to ask the community in which they exists, what the locals' opinions of them are. If you ask around the small town of Kanab, you'll find an overwhelming number of people who use the term "Best Friender" with a sneer on their face. The shelter, despite its international reach and millions of dollars in its budget, provides almost no support for any animals or people in their local community; their doors are closed to any local strays or families facing a crisis.

They'll laugh off these criticisms as just saying "they're locals" with that same level of disgust the locals use to describe them. Not everyone locally, however, is the close-minded red neck Best Friends would like you to believe they are. Many people in the town have moved from far and wide to live in the area and aren't just the local cowboys people think of when they see the red rocks.

With the passive-aggressive stance they take in the community, the lack of any real job security, shady HR practices (creating and enforcing policies that have never been documented before people get "written up" for them), high turn-over and lack of solid, objective leadership, Best Friends is a highly volatile organization to bet on... err... I mean work for.

The employees that have managed to keep their jobs for several years are the ones that either A) Keep their mouths shut and offer no opinions about anything, B) Have been in/gotten into trouble that Best Friends can use as leverage if they do start to make waves, or C) "Know where the bodies are buried" and can create a huge headache for the company if they were ever to be fired.

Best Friends is an example of a group of people who came to the realization that rescuing animals was a more lucrative business than The Process Church (semi-popular cult from the late 60's-70's) they were founded as. If you're seeking employment here, consider yourselves warned! – less
What a sad disaster this organization is...
Executive Producer/ Media Messaging (Former Employee), Kanab, UTDecember 6, 2013
Pros: working with needy animals, a beautiful location
I'm sad to say that this organization, despite its grand goals, is "a miracle that exists despite its founders" ~ that quote came from one of its Founders. The rapid hire & fire policy here is appalling, management is completely lacking in ethics regarding HR policies (a nearly 90% fire policy of higher level employees after their two years of employment – more... is abnormal, unhealthy ). Over the past five years hundreds of capable, ethical and idealistic employees have been dismissed without cause (Utah, unfortunately, is a work-for-hire state so employees do not need to present reason for dismissal). HR Directors here come and go, upper level Management decisions regarding employment are irresponsible and even whimsical. The Core Management, consisting of the original Founders, seems incapable of facing this problem, if even willing to do so. My final analysis, well-supported by many, many others who fled Best Friends is this; Best Friends for animals only, a worst of friends to employees. Only recommended to those wishing to abuse their personal and professional careers. – less
Please read below
Volunteer assistant / greeter (Current Employee), Mission Hills, CAOctober 24, 2013
Pros: get to see happy endings
I currently volunteer at Best Friends Animal Society. I enjoy coming in and meeting new people who share the same love of animals that I do. I also assistant the Stewardship Officer at the center by helping her set up & host the special events held for the people who donate to the center.

The most rewarding part of volunteering is knowing that I'm – more... making a difference in saving the lives of hundreds of animals. It's very fulfilling to watch them walk out with their "forever homes".

The hardest part is when it might not work out with a family and they have to bring the animal back to us. But because this is a no-kill facility I know the animals will find the right home.

I love being here because everyone who works here has the same passion as I do. – less
Excellent and rewarding organization
Donor Relations Specialist/Web Monitor (Former Employee), Kanab, UTSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: brought my dogs to work with me.
Cons: three and a half hours from the airport.
Loved the entire experience and the versatility in this organization.