Best Friends Animal Society Employee Reviews

Fun work enviornment
VETERINARY TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJuly 19, 2017
Working with animals is a great experience. As an assistant I learn something new every day. Its a very hands on job. Great co-workers! Very helpful team to be a part of.
Pros
free lunch and learns
Cons
none!
Stressful unorganized work environment
Pet Caregiver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
Loved working with the animals, but it was very frustrating as it became clear that the look of the facility and animals was priority and not the animals themselves or making sure they went to a good home. After only being there a month, many of the doors and locks and other random parts of the building were falling apart and unsafe for staff and animals. We never had all the things we needed to do our jobs, and upper level management often came in and changed things that worked and left all the things that were huge problems. There was little to no guidance and management on how to do the day to day job. Although in our contracts we were told we'd have time off, none of us were actually able to get time off approved from upper level management. The ideas behind the organization are wonderful but the execution is flawed.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
No break room, no time off, no management or direction, subpar facility
Need to be more transparent
Animal Care Specialist/Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTApril 28, 2017
Good goals, etc. Employees needed to hear right away if there was something that they did wrong; many employees terminated without explanation and/or accused of doing something without facts to back up.
Great place to work if you love animals
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTApril 8, 2017
BFAS is a terrific place to work if you love animals and working in a laid back environment. You end up working with people who become like family. If you're considering relocating to Kanab be aware the housing market is very tight - it has become hard for people to find rentals.
Extremely knowledgeable
Volunteer Adoption Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2017
Best Friends Animal Society is the top rescue in the country and there is a reason for that. Educating the public and potential adopters about animal behavior is key to saving them all and the staff and volunteers do an outstanding job of it.
Fun place to volunteer at, and to adopt if looking to adopt!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sugar House, UTJanuary 25, 2017
What I like to sign up to help volunteer with is the cat care. I help brush them, give them attention, and clean their living areas. By that, I scoop the litter boxes, give them fresh food and water, and sweep the floors. Before any of this, I had to take some Cat Care classes. What I learned in those classes was how to care for a cat.
I also volunteer doing packet assembly. I get packets ready for future adopters by putting in papers, the business card, etc.

The management also helps out when you need help with anything!

The hardest part of the job was when I volunteered with the dogs. With the big dogs, it was a little hard walking them because they wanted to pull.

The most enjoyable part would be to see the animals get adopted while I'm there!
Fun environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Fernando, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Really great place to volunteer your time if that is something you're looking for. The people are very welcoming and you get to help animals in need. I don't think there is much else you can ask for.
Fun place to work
Volunteer Unlimited (Current Employee) –  Mission Hills, CADecember 6, 2016
Best Friends Animal Society is the best animal shelter in the US, they are the no-kill shelter, they saved animals from the death row, give them a home-like experience before they find their loving families.
Pros
lots of love in the air
Exciting place, with friendly animals and employers
Dog Team Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Mission Hills, CA 91345September 6, 2016
Best Friends Animal Society has many friendly workers and along with plenty of sweet animals. Everyone in the animal shelter is fairly sweet and generous.
Pros
Safe and Friendly environment
Cons
Not all animals get adopted or get chosen to be taken home
Unresponsive
Volunteer; Job Applicant [NOT A FORMER EMPLOYEE] (Former Employee) –  Kanab [vol]; Mission Hills [job app]April 21, 2016
I have volunteered in Kanab many times. While I enjoy working with the animals, mostly you just get to clean. I understand cleaning is important, but it is not the only thing I want to do. You get fussed at if you don't help "right".

As for working there, I don't know. I have applied, but never get any response other than the robot email saying they received my application. I realize they are busy, but common courtesy requires letting someone know, one way or another, about their job prospects. They certainly seem to have enough personnel to mail out requests for money.

In the beginning, these guys had the right idea. They had a dream. Now, it seems, they have only a business.

Want to know more about Best Friends Animal Society?

Ask a question
Rewarding company to volunteer with
Voluteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2016
I interview possible pet adopters. Animal care and handler at different adoption events. Give information on pets that are up for adoption.
Pros
helping pets and people
Dog Play group
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mission Hills CASeptember 18, 2015
I am in charge of watching little dogs interact. Human interaction helps dogs get adopted much faster.
I really enjoy the happy look on their face when taken out of the kennels and placed in the playgroup.
The hardest part of my job is going home and not being able to take them all home.
At times I work alone or work side by side with two other individuals. We normally split the responsibility since we have to take care of up to 12 little dogs.
Pros
Giving the dogs a bit of love and attention.
Cons
Having to go home.
Very fun, hard and meaningful work.
Best Friends Animal Society Internship (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTSeptember 1, 2015
I cannot stress enough how much my internship at Best Friends has affected my overall work ethic and worldview. With a dedicated staff of almost 300 animal lovers, Best Friends continues to be one of the leading animal welfare organizations in the US.
Awsome internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTMay 4, 2015
The few is fantastic and the people are amazing to work with. You are generally busy cleaning and exercising animals. The hardest part of the job is all the cleaning, but the joy of watching animals finding their forever homes out weighs all the negatives.
Pros
Helping animals, awsome people to work with
Cons
Great benefits, poor place to work
caregiver (Former Employee) –  KanabApril 3, 2015
This is not at all what it is advertised to be, anyone thinking about working at Best Friends should wonder why they have to replace 1/4 to 1/3 of the staff each year, Management of HR department is dishonest and deceiving, just know that encouraging employees to report inappropriate behavior of Department managers is only so they can terminate anyone who will tell on them for their horrible behavior.
Pros
good benefits, working with animals
Cons
dishonest management
Always a new experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAMarch 29, 2015
As a volunteer, I had many opportunities available to me.
Handling animals, being able to interact with them and know the personalities each individual has was the second most rewarding.
The first being able to assist with adoptions and finding a cat or dog his/her new forever home.
Pros
Interacting with animals, assisting adoptions and paperwork
Unethical and Immoral "Friends"
Staff (Current Employee) –  SanctuaryOctober 1, 2014
Do not be fooled by your experience as a volunteer at Best Friends. Many people believe that employment will be similar and it is absolutely not. Employees are paid insultingly low wages, management is inept and usually less qualified than those they oversee and nepotism and favoritism determine everything that happens there. There is a lot of extremely unethical and possibly illegal behavior at Best Friends and it's unclear how they even hold a 501 (c)(3) status since their board has no autonomy whatsoever. Go visit, volunteer, etc., but whatever you do don't make the mistake that so many have and believe it's a good organization to work for. There are countless reasons why it's not.
Pros
Beautiful canyon, animals
Cons
Extremely low pay, no sick time, unqualified management, favoritism, I could go on and on.
Productive and easy going workplace
Medical Housekeeper/Patient Care (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTJune 27, 2014
I really like a stress free work environment that usually has culturally diverse people working there. For instance, at Best Friends Animal Society people were from all over the world and really loved their jobs and put heart into it. A typical day there consisted of things like cleaning up dog deification and urine, doing dirty surgery laundry, and cleaning all of the floors in the Vet clinic. Even though the job was dirty and really hands on, everyone was very work oriented but could have fun while doing so.
Pros
able to listen to music while doing my job
Cons
breaks were short
Sub-Par Friends
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTJanuary 3, 2014
As another review pointed out, Best Friends' name applies to animals only; don't expect any warm, friendly, meaningful human interaction.

The culture at Best Friends is one built and maintained with a generous supply of narcissism holding it up at the foundation. Best Friends is the be-all, end-all when it comes to the industry standard... and they'll tell you where to go and how to get there if you disagree.

Many highly qualified, animal-loving people have passed through their doors, only to be cycled back out of them within a 2 year period after they've given all they can offer. People can and have donated days, weeks, moths, years of their life to the organization, even without pay, only to be chewed up and spit out once they made one too many suggestions or corrections.

A valuable lesson anyone can learn about an animal shelter when they look at Best Friends, is to ask the community in which they exists, what the locals' opinions of them are. If you ask around the small town of Kanab, you'll find an overwhelming number of people who use the term "Best Friender" with a sneer on their face. The shelter, despite its international reach and millions of dollars in its budget, provides almost no support for any animals or people in their local community; their doors are closed to any local strays or families facing a crisis.

They'll laugh off these criticisms as just saying "they're locals" with that same level of disgust the locals use to describe them. Not everyone locally, however, is the close-minded red neck Best Friends would like you to believe they are.
  more... Many people in the town have moved from far and wide to live in the area and aren't just the local cowboys people think of when they see the red rocks.

With the passive-aggressive stance they take in the community, the lack of any real job security, shady HR practices (creating and enforcing policies that have never been documented before people get "written up" for them), high turn-over and lack of solid, objective leadership, Best Friends is a highly volatile organization to bet on... err... I mean work for.

The employees that have managed to keep their jobs for several years are the ones that either A) Keep their mouths shut and offer no opinions about anything, B) Have been in/gotten into trouble that Best Friends can use as leverage if they do start to make waves, or C) "Know where the bodies are buried" and can create a huge headache for the company if they were ever to be fired.

Best Friends is an example of a group of people who came to the realization that rescuing animals was a more lucrative business than The Process Church (semi-popular cult from the late 60's-70's) they were founded as. If you're seeking employment here, consider yourselves warned!
Pros
on-site cafeteria, working with animals
Cons
Management's apathy and narcissism towards their employees and local community
What a sad disaster this organization is...
Executive Producer/ Media Messaging (Former Employee) –  Kanab, UTDecember 6, 2013
I'm sad to say that this organization, despite its grand goals, is "a miracle that exists despite its founders" ~ that quote came from one of its Founders. The rapid hire & fire policy here is appalling, management is completely lacking in ethics regarding HR policies (a nearly 90% fire policy of higher level employees after their two years of employment is abnormal, unhealthy ). Over the past five years hundreds of capable, ethical and idealistic employees have been dismissed without cause (Utah, unfortunately, is a work-for-hire state so employees do not need to present reason for dismissal). HR Directors here come and go, upper level Management decisions regarding employment are irresponsible and even whimsical. The Core Management, consisting of the original Founders, seems incapable of facing this problem, if even willing to do so. My final analysis, well-supported by many, many others who fled Best Friends is this; Best Friends for animals only, a worst of friends to employees. Only recommended to those wishing to abuse their personal and professional careers.
Pros
Working with needy animals, a beautiful location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Best Friends Animal Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Best Friends Animal Society Reviews by Location