Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Employer Reviews

begining job
EKG Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 17, 2014
pay not so good. but people are great. no micromanagement. The enviroment is a little dated but the patiens get all they need.
Great Hospital to work for. They are dedicated to training students and also in providing the best possible treatment and care for the patients.
Customer Service Ambassador (Former Employee), Boston, MAApril 5, 2014
Pros: earned time and employee discounts
Cons: no free parking
It was never the same day, each day was different based on the patients and their needs. Its was at times very difficult due to seeing individuals that are sick, but rewarding at the same time because I knew they were in the right place and that the help they needed was available to them. I worked with an amazing team that all had the same goal in mind. – more... We were there to Help the Patients. My manager was a wonderful team leader. He started the day with a department meeting that would inform us of what the day had in store for us and to give us a daily theme on how to better our services. – less
BIDMC is a great place to work
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 26, 2014
Pros: flexible and understanding colleagues.
Cons: there is no room for growth in my position
A typical day at work consists of emails, phone calls and follow-ups. I have worked with and learned from some of the smartest individuals here at BIDMC. I have learned to become a detailed oriented worker. I take pride in my work and the people I work with.
Management here is very felxible and understanding of their employees. Co-workers have been – more... really great to work with. The hardest part of the job is being able to please everyone. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the fruits of my labor. Its very rewarding to see the outcome of something you have worked months on come to completion. – less
typical workday
Patient Care Technician, Oncology/ Hematology (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 26, 2014
• Obtained patient’s vital signs, performed patient hygiene, made occupied and unoccupied beds
• Utilized proper methods to dispose of patient chemical waste
Management works with you to help balance work and life
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Boston, MaMarch 24, 2014
Awesome company to work for. Compensation is average is you are directly tied to health care, but that is off set but understanding and awesome management.
Nutrition Volunteer
Nutrition Volunteer (Former Employee), Boston, MAMarch 22, 2014
Communicated with registered dietitians, physicians, nurses and administrative staff. Analyzed and interpreted diet menus, orders and databases. Updated and managed BIDMC Nutrition webpage with current nutrition-related topics. Created and designed webpage for the Foodservice Department that includes general information about services offered, room – more... service for patients, diet orders and employee information. Researched nutrition-related topics for hospital education series and develop power-point presentation. Assisted dietitian with patient health screenings. – less
Admin Review
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 17, 2014
Pros: educational programs that promote growth
Cons: parking rates, cafeteria, pay
I have worked at BIDMC for 12+ years and its a great place to work and pending on the department its almost like being around family.
A typical day here in the ICU which is universal to all starts with giving report due to shift change and handling some clerical work as well as dealing with families and critical situations.
I think the hard part about – more... working within a critical care environment is dealing with death.

Cons
The price of parking here is ridiculous and there should be better rates because they go up every year. The price for daytime parking for an employee onsite is close 100 a week. They might want to work on it. Another problem is pay employees who are currently here are not on a market rate pay scale as to the rest of the hospital.
Another downside is that its hard to get an internal transfer inside of the hospital if you have been an employee over 10 years. Numerous people have complained about that.
Cafeteria food is horrible and closes at 7 pm which does not do any justice for the night crew who are coming in.

Pros
BIDMC does strive to implement programs of growth so that employees can grow into different health care fields. They do have scholarships if you are going into a program that will benefit BIDMC career wise. – less
Productive with gym facilities
Intern/graduate pharmacist (Former Employee), Needham, MAMarch 5, 2014
Pros: flexible with staff
Cons: short breaks
A work place conducive for human habitation that made the workplace productive especially with the provision of gym where staffs could work out.
Some areas great, others not so much
Surgical Trauma Registrar (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: opportunities to grow and learn
Cons: unfair policies, poor manageent
BIDMC is a hospital with tremendous potential. The greatest challenge for every employee is finding leadership that is consistent, supportive, sober, and fair. Favoritism and backstabbing abound at all levels. As time went on, unrealistic expectations, lack of fairness and a back stabbing environment was the hardest part of the job.
Officer
Officer/Dispatcher (Former Employee), BostonFebruary 20, 2014
The crew that works in the Public Safety Department is great. The officers are team players. The management is poorly run and not great on people skills. They do not have the department nor their officers' best interest at hand. Watch out for the Chief of the department. He will smile in your face and make your life a living hell after.
great company
Practice Assistant II (Former Employee), boston, maFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: clean offices & exam rooms
a great company, offices are clean work and great set of understanding doctors, leading edge hospital
MidLevel Provider
Midlevel (Current Employee), BostonFebruary 14, 2014
As a midlevel, you have no support from administration. They offer supposedly good benefits i.e. shift differential. Well they will take that away once you are hired. They say, "We will give you a "disrespectful" 2% raise, so that on paper you got a raise, but you actually loose money given the amount of outside shift you do. They practically don't – more... care and admit they are doing this. Just improving their numbers on paper. Nurses who have lots of support still have their shift differential.

Overtime is not discussed but it was time and a quarter. They say, "We already get paid enough".

You will have to pay more for medical benefits and it is likely the sign of the times.

You are not well respected even by your own attending physicians much less the other staff here at times.

Opportunities for career development, forget about it.

The positives are the midlevel colleagues you work with, fellow nurses and the patients who you take care of. I am surprised many aren't leaving with the others. Guess they are waiting for better opportunity

***Warning*** – less
Beth israel is a great place to work for with alot of room for growth
Unit Coordinator/Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2014
Beth Israel is a great company to work for. I really enjoyed working there
Collaborative work environment
Senior Practicum - OR Nurse (Former Employee), Milton, MAJanuary 28, 2014
I really enjoyed working at this hospital. Most collaborative hospital I have had the pleasure of working at. Doctors, pharmacists, nurse, and PCTs are equally respected in patient care. This is an excellent hospital for new grads and experienced nurse alike. As a teaching hospital, there is incredible diversity of students professionals, grads, and – more... veterans, making it an overall strong working environment with lots of different perspectives. – less
Fun staff
Internship (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 20, 2014
Fun staff with good work flexibility. Only worked on the inpatient side of things. Paperwork there is a little lengthy but may have already changed by now.
Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2014
Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Treated patients undergoing chemotherapy and stem cell transplant.
Desktop Analyst III
Desktop Analyst III (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: have a fun with all docter and doctor's staff
Cons: good health care, good life
Support all computers at Cardiac Department for both an Office personals and Dr. Laboratories
Fast Paced Environment
Medical Assisting (Current Employee), Milton, MAJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: drug reps bring free lunchs
Cons: per diem
I love working at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital. Great Staff, and awesome patients!
Learned most of what I know here
Certified Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 27, 2013
I learned a lot working at BIDMC. I came from MIT where I worked in a primarily optometric practice. This was a primarily ophthalmic practice.I was taught to refract here.. by Jerry Cavallerano. The brother of my teacher at MIT.
I was there at a time when people were more apt to die from AIDS than survive but unfortunately not before going deaf and/or – more... blind from CMV.
I was lucky enough to be involved in the DHPG trials that were immediately successful in halting the progression of CMV preserving normal vision for these patients who were living longer every day because of the emergence of better and better drugs to fight the virus... A very exciting time to work in the field... – less
My day in Labor Delivery
Practice Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
Pros: the various amount of desserts that are brought in by the staff
Cons: the news of a deceased baby or twins and the tears i see
My day starts off at the registration desk where I gather the charts of those arriving for induction,C-Sections or just for a regular visit. I set up my log and organize my working area just the way I like it. I get report from the co-worker before me so I am aware of what was going on and what is to come. I am often faced with many personalities while – more... at the desk from family members, fathers and, of course, the mother-to-be. I am kind of a lobor coach and a therapist as I hear how nervous he/she and/or family is and if she cannot seem to get her breathing under control while contracting. I also hear the happiness once the baby has been born. There are also times when I am confronted by the families of those who want to hear what is going on inside of the labor room, but I do not give any information out due to HIPPA. Yes, they can be harsh, but I do understand the anxiety of having a new edition come into the family. The hardest part of my job is the amount of family who refuses to leave the small waiting area and wait in the main lobby so the other patients can have room. The most enjoyable time is when the babies are born and the joy that shows on everyone's face.
I have learned how to have more patience since I have started this job. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of personalities I am faced with it and that can be tough, but I have been told, and I believe, I handle myself well.
My co-workers all have their own way of working. They know the rules, but put their own "twist" on them because however they choose to work, is the best way for him/her to work (doctors and nurses included). – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is a patient care, teaching and research affiliate of Harvard Medical School, and – Read more

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Photos