Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Bidmc
Women's Health Nurse Practitioner/RN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 19, 2013
It has been a rewarding medical center to work in during my extensive career as an NP and RN. There is a sense of community and connection and respect for all members of the team. These members are all valued from house keeping, to medical assistants, scrub technicians, nurses, NP's, PA'S, MD's of all specialties, SW, administration. In all my roles, the teamwork is primary! If a provider of colleague appears overwhelmed or frustrated, I have seen over and over the community in OBGYN help each other out. It is a privilege to work with all members. Management is very respectful, supportive of the community and focuses on supporting and listening to the needs of the units/outpatient setting, which helps the main goal, to deliver the excellent care in a happy environment.

As an NP at BIDMC in OB/GYN , I see patients in an outpatient setting, and round on delivered patient's on the postpartum floor. The patients in the outpatient office range in all ages from young teen to 90's for various OBGYN issues or seen for healthy visits. There is a large OB population of women in this private hospital practice who are healthy or high risk. As an NP, I provide for the initial prenatal visit and return prenatal visits, and postpartum visits. I refer them to be evaluated with specialty providers or U/S or NST as needed, to evaluate and assess the maternal/fetal wellness. The GYN patients are seen for well visits, contraception or problem visits ranging from abnormal uterine bleeding, pelvic pain, menopausal issues, postmenopausal bleeding, Sexually Transmitted Infections and vulvovaginal
  more... issues. I usually see 18-22 patients daily. During this time, I am also responsible for assisting the office RN in triaging complicated OBGYN patients with issues; reviewing labs and reports; and sending letters to patients and referring MD's/APN.

As an NP in MFM with Dr Tamara Takoudes, I saw all types of high risk OB patients, with a specialty in the Type 1 Diabetic patient, in collaboration with the Joslin Diabetes Center. I saw patients in the outpatient setting for their prenatal care; Dr Takoudes and I alternated visits. This framework provided the best collaborative care for these complicated pregnancies.
I also rounded on the delivered patients on postpartum, and discharged them to home. This practice was an intense practice and rewarding following patients who had intensely complicated pregnancies, and emotionally needed excellent support.

As an RN in Labor and Delivery, I work as a primary care nurse at the bedside of the various laboring patients. As a tertiary care center, I do see a lot of high risk patients in our center for various high risk situations. In addition to providing care to the families at the bedside or in the OR for emergent or scheduled C/S's , I also work as an RN in the OB/GYN Triage units on the floor. In these settings , I am collaborating with the NP/PA/Residents in evaluating patients for preterm labor, ruptured membranes, decreased FM, Preeclampsia; bleeding with pregnancy, early pregnancy loss, tubal pregnancy as well as postpartum issues of fever, preeclampsia, and GYN issues of abnormal uterine bleeding,pelvic pain , and pelvic masses. I have remained per diem in this unit since 1990, as it is also my passion to be a part of labor and delivery.

The hardest part of my job is always caring for the patient and her family who had endured a fetal demise/loss. As a professional I want to provide them with the most sensitive, compassionate and excellent care to take them through this place of deep grief.
Pros
professionalism, excellent compensation, benefits, supportive and respectful environment
Cons
no real cons, honestly.
My day in Labor Delivery
Practice Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
My day starts off at the registration desk where I gather the charts of those arriving for induction,C-Sections or just for a regular visit. I set up my log and organize my working area just the way I like it. I get report from the co-worker before me so I am aware of what was going on and what is to come. I am often faced with many personalities while at the desk from family members, fathers and, of course, the mother-to-be. I am kind of a lobor coach and a therapist as I hear how nervous he/she and/or family is and if she cannot seem to get her breathing under control while contracting. I also hear the happiness once the baby has been born. There are also times when I am confronted by the families of those who want to hear what is going on inside of the labor room, but I do not give any information out due to HIPPA. Yes, they can be harsh, but I do understand the anxiety of having a new edition come into the family. The hardest part of my job is the amount of family who refuses to leave the small waiting area and wait in the main lobby so the other patients can have room. The most enjoyable time is when the babies are born and the joy that shows on everyone's face.
I have learned how to have more patience since I have started this job. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of personalities I am faced with it and that can be tough, but I have been told, and I believe, I handle myself well.
My co-workers all have their own way of working. They know the rules, but put their own "twist" on them because however they choose to work, is the best way for him/her to work (doctors and
  more... nurses included).  less
Pros
the various amount of desserts that are brought in by the staff
Cons
the news of a deceased baby or twins and the tears i see
Good place to get initial experience however salary is not competitive and many, on the research side, do not plan to stay for the long-term
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2013
This is my first full-time job after graduating with a Bachelor's degree and I was fortunate enough to join a great lab but know quite a few people who were not as lucky. I learned many new techniques and my PI was very flexible in allowing his employees to take classes and often encouraged it. However, while it is a sufficient environment to gain initial experience and grow in knowledge, the longer you stay in a lab at BIDMC, the more you realize you need to leave in order to progress.

Also, the salary and benefits are not competitive with other surrounding institutions and BIDMC is very secretive with pay grade and job descriptions, making it very difficult to prepare for performance evaluations and to know what you can and cannot ask for, in terms of promotions and salary increase. BIDMC is also terrible with vacation time; every week, employees earn about 4 hours of "earned time" which comes out to about 24 days per year. This bank includes your vacation time, the NATIONAL HOLIDAYS (i.e. Christmas, New Years, etc) holidays AND sick time (if one is sick for three consecutive days or less, the time is taken from this bank...if one is sick for more than three consecutive days, the first three days are still taken from this bank and the remainder is taken from his/her "earned illness" bank which accumulates at a ridiculously slow rate).
Pros
great educational location and environment (hospitals and universities galore), good food, right in the heart of the city
Cons
unpaid half hour lunch break, traffic from red sox games and all of the students during the school year, not a place to stay for the long term if you're a research assistant
No Management or HR Support
EKG - Cardiology Technician (Former Employee) –  BostonMarch 29, 2013
Management and HR Department absolutely NOT supportive, which has resulted in the loss of many excellent and dedicated employees. The manager of the EKG Department is an 85 y/o (YES, you read that correct...85 y/o) woman who is there 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week (again, correct, 7 days a week). She repeatedly falls asleep throughout the day and when department issues or concerns are brought by her employees, it must be repeated several times for her comprehension...until which time, she is abusive and insulting. She manipulates her hard-working, dedicated people by unnecessary reminders that they are lucky to have a job and could be replaced at any moment on her whim...all while ignoring that not only is it her employees that make the EKG Dept run smoothly, but also that they are covering for her mistakes and the hours asleep at her desk. The department has lost 5 employees in less than 1 year because of her verbal abuse and various manipulations. On more than one occasion, both HR and her managers have been made aware of incidences, issues and reasons for employees quitting. However, she continues to be allowed to run the department both unchecked and unreprimanded for her unprofessional behavior because the hospital is more afraid of her filing an age discrimination suit against them than they are having to repeatedly advertise for positions and install a revolving door for the enterance and exit of its employees. It's an honest shame that you sit through an entire orientation day hearing how proud the hospital is that things like this do not occur there and how they take  more... seriously the concerns of its employees, only to experience first hand how untrue that really is.  less
Pros
sadly, none found
Cons
no management or hr support to employees
Admin Review
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 17, 2014
I have worked at BIDMC for 12+ years and its a great place to work and pending on the department its almost like being around family.
A typical day here in the ICU which is universal to all starts with giving report due to shift change and handling some clerical work as well as dealing with families and critical situations.
I think the hard part about working within a critical care environment is dealing with death.

Cons
The price of parking here is ridiculous and there should be better rates because they go up every year. The price for daytime parking for an employee onsite is close 100 a week. They might want to work on it. Another problem is pay employees who are currently here are not on a market rate pay scale as to the rest of the hospital.
Another downside is that its hard to get an internal transfer inside of the hospital if you have been an employee over 10 years. Numerous people have complained about that.
Cafeteria food is horrible and closes at 7 pm which does not do any justice for the night crew who are coming in.

Pros
BIDMC does strive to implement programs of growth so that employees can grow into different health care fields. They do have scholarships if you are going into a program that will benefit BIDMC career wise.
Pros
educational programs that promote growth
Cons
parking rates, cafeteria, pay
A very busy and challanging place to work that requires skill
Senior Help Desk / On-Site Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brookline, MAJune 1, 2014
•A typical day at work
Replacing or setting up a complete workstation(S) for new hires
setting up scanners for HIM, (Health Information Management)
Reconfigure workstations that start to print information into
another department when the IP of the workstation changes.

•What you learned
To resolve an incident in a timely manner to keep the Client
up and running to be able to provide care for patients coming
in for healthcare.

•Management
Management is always aware of processes going on to assure that all
work performed is in compliance to hospital policies.

•Your co-workers
All of the co-workers are very friendly, have knowledge of system
setup and all share information as a team when new resolutions to new issues arise.

•The hardest part of the job
Providing the fastest help to all in a timely manner. The Tech
staff is very under staffed so sometimes there is a long waiting
period before a Client can get the help that is needed.

•The most enjoyable part of the job
Working with the Directors, Managers, Doctors and the employed staff at Beth Israel. Everyone is so friendly and easy to work with.
It's nice to see a smile on their face after I've resolved their issue
with their workstation.
Pros
challenging work place
Cons
no cons
Productive work place
Store Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Needham, MAMarch 16, 2015
I open the store at 9:30am. I answer any emails or voice mails. Emails and voice mails may be about billing, insurances or appointments with clients. While helping any customers that come in the store to buy a gift for someone they know with cancer or a client witch cancer looking for a wig or anything else they need to help get through the difficult time.
I have learned that it is very hard for me to work in an environment where I work alone. I have gained experience in running and managing a store. I learned a lot about the health care community.
My co-workers do not work directly with me day to day. They are nurses, medical, assistants and receptionist who have there on busy day. It is all woman who focused on the well being of the care of patients. All very friendly.
The hardest part is not working with anyone on a slow day I am alone with no customers. Also not getting positve feed back from my boss who manages the whole center.
Most enjoyable part is making woman feel so incredibly beautiful during such a hard time in their life. Being a part of the process with everything that is going on, And learning about the medical community.
Excellent workplace with skilled and knowledgeable staff and employees, great employee benefits
Patient Transport Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 17, 2013
A typical day would start at 7:00 am. Many patients would still be sleeping so there would be time to conduct other preliminary work before transportation would be needed for different tests and procedures. I learned a lot about different medical terminology and different tests that were preformed on the patients daily. I also worked in many different areas of the hospital including the ER, EKG, OR, and Hemo-Dialysis department. The management was very helpful with any questions or concerns I had during my employment, the same applied for my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was leaving at the end of the day, because I enjoyed working there so much and really enjoyed working with the patients and other co-workers within both hospital campuses. It was also very difficult to see young children having to go through very difficult and painful procedures, but I would always try to make my patients feel comfortable and reassure them during transportation. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with people of all different ages and cultures and to make the patients feel as safe and comfortable as possible during transportation to and from different procedures.
Very productive and exciting workplace
Radiologgy Call Center Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 1, 2015
BIDMC is a great place to work. The balance of culture is amazing. One has the chance to learn a lot from as well as teach a lot to another. A typical day at work runs fairly smoothly. Everyone has their phones ready to go and paperwork in hand. We work together so that everything runs smoothly. My manager Deolinda Depina is very easy to talk to. She keeps me up and aware of everything that is happening within the company. She does not treat me as an intern, but as a valued worker, and that is great for my self esteem. My coworkers are all very nice, and are always open to answer any questions I may have. We are a team. The hardest part of my job is being behind the scenes. With my bubbly personality and training in customer service, I am very eager to communicate face to face with patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to say that I am a part of the BIDMC Team.
Pros
The new things I am able to learn and build on, Having my foot in the door at BIDMC, Being able to help
Cons
Being in a Cubicle office all day with no patient engagement
The environment is very stable
Unit Coordinator OB (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2013
Usually when I come in to work, I put the non-select meals on the computer system for the patients that is unable to talk or order for themselves
Make sure all the meals are put in for clear liquids or full liquids diets
Take calls and assist patients when they are ready to order either their breakfast, lunch and dinner
I've learned a lot in this job and still learning new things, I was not very familiar with different kinds of diets until I began working here and became familiar with what kinds of foods are on those specific dietary restrictions
The hardest part of the job is sometimes deal with patients that is having a hard time dealing with the fact they have a restricted dietary order from their doctors and they tend to blame it on the food service since we have very limited options on what they can have or not have on that specific diet order
One thing that I enjoy about this job is the fact since I've been here for the longest of all of the jobs I had it's because they work very well with my school schedule and pay reasonable
benefits
MidLevel Provider
Midlevel (Current Employee) –  BostonFebruary 14, 2014
As a midlevel, you have no support from administration. They offer supposedly good benefits i.e. shift differential. Well they will take that away once you are hired. They say, "We will give you a "disrespectful" 2% raise, so that on paper you got a raise, but you actually loose money given the amount of outside shift you do. They practically don't care and admit they are doing this. Just improving their numbers on paper. Nurses who have lots of support still have their shift differential.

Overtime is not discussed but it was time and a quarter. They say, "We already get paid enough".

You will have to pay more for medical benefits and it is likely the sign of the times.

You are not well respected even by your own attending physicians much less the other staff here at times.

Opportunities for career development, forget about it.

The positives are the midlevel colleagues you work with, fellow nurses and the patients who you take care of. I am surprised many aren't leaving with the others. Guess they are waiting for better opportunity

***Warning***
Highly intelligent and fun work place
Biomedical Technician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2013
A typical day at BethIsreal is about 95% busy. I have learned to work with engineers , nurses, medical doctors in a unique manner. That is, we share mutuall and proffessional starndards in the overall provision of health care to our patients. The management is great, and very concern about the welfare and safety of its entire workforce and the way patient care is provided. In addition, my co-workers and I are team players. Our goal always, is to get our job done in a highly professional and timely manner. The hardest part of the job is, I make sure that my responsiblities be executed in a way that meets precise standards of BIDMC. The most enjoyable part of this job is, the level of friendliness of the workforce and how careful everyone is, when it comes to dealing with issues concerning patient care.
Pros
reduced parking fees, reduce tickets price and reduce price on red sox games tickets, etc.
Cons
distance from home, parking garage very expensive and no department vehicle for outstation services, etc.
Center for Maternal Fetal Medicine
Practice Coordinator level III (Current Employee) –  Boston, MaFebruary 27, 2013
• Answers and screens telephone calls. Takes accurate messages or directs call to appropriate person.
• Greets and directs patients, families, visitors and staff.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner and provides clear, accurate information within scope of knowledge and authority.
• Updates patient demographic and insurance information as necessary and obtains specialist referrals for all patient appointments.
• Schedules patient appointments utilizing scheduling tools and resources.
• Coordinates and communicates ancillary appointments and procedures working with other hospital staff as needed.
• Obtains patient information and materials as needed from referral sources.
• Prepares patient records for clinical activities and maintains patient records for physicians.
• Acts as liaison with other departments and external customers in a calm and supportive manner.
• Handles confidential information appropriately and explains policies and procedures when necessary.
• Maintains physician's administrative and clinical calendars.
• Type correspondence, manuscripts and documents that may require complex formatting.
• Composes routine correspondence. Transcribes letters and patient notes as needed for physicians and/or facilitates notes and letters in CCC system.
• Composes routine correspondence. Prepares and distributes materials for meetings and committees.
Coworkers are great and and are team players. It is satisfying to help people who are uncomfortable being in the Emergency Room.
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Needham, MANovember 19, 2015
Nice place to work. You learn that treating a patient and their family the way you would want to be treated is essential for good relations and customer satisfaction. There is a lot of paper work that goes into the job, but this is a hospital and everything has to be accurate and procedures followed.
The people I work with are great.
Management needs to be more helpful when needed.
There is really no hard part to the job. I have been doing it for so long it comes naturally.
The part of the job I find most enjoyable is when patients tell you that their medical care was good and they feel much better.
Pros
coworkers, location, feeling respected
Cons
Short lunch, no real breaks, can't leave the desk for any reason. If the facilities need to be used, I need to find staff to sit at my desk. It has to be manned 24/7.
Amazing learning environment, good team atmosphere, top medical care facility,
Clinical Level I/II RN (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 20, 2014
Typical day at work was 1:4 nurse patient ratio on Days. Medications reconciliation and rounding on each patient, collaborating with CNA, case management, Doctors, PT, OT's for care plan. Fast paced environment of Medical surgical patient population. Management and nurse educators available as resources. Organized floor to work on. I learned a lot about caring for post surgical patients in Orthopedics, GU, GI, GYN and plastics. We also took care of pregnancy loss patients. Primary nurse implementation for continuity of care as long as patient was in the hospital, even for multiple visits we could pair same RN to patient. Hardest part of the job was when the floor was really busy or the patient load got multiple complex patient situations going on. Stress could elevate and missing breaks was common. Loved the people I worked with, all the staff and residents were such great people, and was team centered.
Fun team to work with
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 27, 2015
Beth Israel is a great place to work. My typical work day is filled with laughter and fun while keeping our patients healthy. I have learned that everyone has a skill, no matter how big or small it helps to build a phenominal team. My boss is the best boss there is. He is understanding, he listens, and he portrays great leadership skills across the board. I work in OB/GYN and the hardest part about my job is hearing that my patient's baby did not make it, or my patient's biopsy results show cancerous cells. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the little babies we spend so much time taking care of in thier mommies tummy for a visit or getting back negative biopsy results on my patients. I also really enjoy my coworkers. We work great as a team and we look out for each other, and this is all done with the best boss there is.
Fun workplace to work and the people are friendly there.
Internships (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2012
I was doing my internship there and served as a student associate working in the primary care division of BIDMC's, Healthcare Associate practice.
I have learn and carry a number of different tasks directly related to the various functions of clinics. I did learning how to sorting the patient labs by putting it in their physician's mailboxes. I also organized a numerous of faxes that comes in for physicians, nurse practitioners,clinical nurses,and social workers.
I also did some shadow to. For example I shadow the front desks by seeing the staff on how to handle patients when they coming in for their appointment.I also learn on how to do telephone calling for their online services called patientsite.
The most enjoyable part of the jobs is to make feel welcome when they arrive for their appointment.
I have learn a lot and have done many tasks for it and found that healthcare management for challenging profressions to do !
surgical operating room.
nurse (RN). (Current Employee) –  operating room staffOctober 28, 2012
This hospital operating room has become the worse nightmare. 98% of staff are unhappy. It is so painful to see how management treat the staff.and Human resource is not during nothing about it, I never knew brutal/slavery treatment was legal in a work place wow. This operating room needs help. the staffs are crying out for help and they received none from Human Resource. This organization needs to come up with an emergency plan on how to retain staff and hiring better managers. The Hospital is a great hospital, but when you have a Manager who treat a person like???? there is a BIG problem. Even the surgeons feel the same way. VERY STRESSFUL Operating Room to work in. sorry to say this management needs to be replace ASAP.
Cons
management, heavy work load, short of staff always, treat workers like??, staff are always resign, no steady schedule, slavery, benefit.
Great Hospital to work for. They are dedicated to training students and also in providing the best possible treatment and care for the patients.
Customer Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 5, 2014
It was never the same day, each day was different based on the patients and their needs. Its was at times very difficult due to seeing individuals that are sick, but rewarding at the same time because I knew they were in the right place and that the help they needed was available to them. I worked with an amazing team that all had the same goal in mind. We were there to Help the Patients. My manager was a wonderful team leader. He started the day with a department meeting that would inform us of what the day had in store for us and to give us a daily theme on how to better our services.
Pros
earned time and employee discounts
Cons
no free parking
Productive day at work
Medical and Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 27, 2015
A productive day at work is seeing about 50-55 patients in eight hours. All type of patients, whether it's a two weeks follow-up, six weeks, wound care dressings, minor wound care procedures, such as applegraft, sclerotherapy, veinwaves, and etc.. I love to say I's a master when it comes to a wound care dressings. I work with some great co-workers. We all get along and work as team to make sure there is a good patients flow within the vascular department.. My most enjoyable moment in my department is seeing how happy the patients leaves our department satisfying with some great Surgeon, Nurse Practitioner, Administrators, Medical Assistants that really cares about their health and safety.
Pros
Team oriented, patient friendly, hard workers
Cons
short breaks