Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Employee Reviews

Officer
Officer/Dispatcher (Former Employee), BostonFebruary 20, 2014
The crew that works in the Public Safety Department is great. The officers are team players. The management is poorly run and not great on people skills. They do not have the department nor their officers' best interest at hand. Watch out for the Chief of the department. He will smile in your face and make your life a living hell after.
great company
Practice Assistant II (Former Employee), boston, maFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: clean offices & exam rooms
a great company, offices are clean work and great set of understanding doctors, leading edge hospital
MidLevel Provider
Midlevel (Current Employee), BostonFebruary 14, 2014
As a midlevel, you have no support from administration. They offer supposedly good benefits i.e. shift differential. Well they will take that away once you are hired. They say, "We will give you a "disrespectful" 2% raise, so that on paper you got a raise, but you actually loose money given the amount of outside shift you do. They practically don't care and admit they are doing this. Just improving their numbers on paper. Nurses who have lots of support still have their shift differential.

Overtime is not discussed but it was time and a quarter. They say, "We already get paid enough".

You will have to pay more for medical benefits and it is likely the sign of the times.

You are not well respected even by your own attending physicians much less the other staff here at times.

Opportunities for career development, forget about it.

The positives are the midlevel colleagues you work with, fellow nurses and the patients who you take care of. I am surprised many aren't leaving with the others. Guess they are waiting for better opportunity

***Warning***
Beth israel is a great place to work for with alot of room for growth
Unit Coordinator/Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2014
Beth Israel is a great company to work for. I really enjoyed working there
Collaborative work environment
Senior Practicum - OR Nurse (Former Employee), Milton, MAJanuary 28, 2014
I really enjoyed working at this hospital. Most collaborative hospital I have had the pleasure of working at. Doctors, pharmacists, nurse, and PCTs are equally respected in patient care. This is an excellent hospital for new grads and experienced nurse alike. As a teaching hospital, there is incredible diversity of students professionals, grads, and veterans, making it an overall strong working environment with lots of different perspectives.
Fun staff
Internship (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 20, 2014
Fun staff with good work flexibility. Only worked on the inpatient side of things. Paperwork there is a little lengthy but may have already changed by now.
Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 14, 2014
Oncology Nurse Practitioner
Treated patients undergoing chemotherapy and stem cell transplant.
Desktop Analyst III
Desktop Analyst III (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: have a fun with all docter and doctor's staff
Cons: good health care, good life
Support all computers at Cardiac Department for both an Office personals and Dr. Laboratories
Fast Paced Environment
Medical Assisting (Current Employee), Milton, MAJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: drug reps bring free lunchs
Cons: per diem
I love working at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital. Great Staff, and awesome patients!
Learned most of what I know here
Certified Ophthalmic Technician (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 27, 2013
I learned a lot working at BIDMC. I came from MIT where I worked in a primarily optometric practice. This was a primarily ophthalmic practice.I was taught to refract here.. by Jerry Cavallerano. The brother of my teacher at MIT.
I was there at a time when people were more apt to die from AIDS than survive but unfortunately not before going deaf and/or blind from CMV.
I was lucky enough to be involved in the DHPG trials that were immediately successful in halting the progression of CMV preserving normal vision for these patients who were living longer every day because of the emergence of better and better drugs to fight the virus... A very exciting time to work in the field...
My day in Labor Delivery
Practice Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 24, 2013
Pros: the various amount of desserts that are brought in by the staff
Cons: the news of a deceased baby or twins and the tears i see
My day starts off at the registration desk where I gather the charts of those arriving for induction,C-Sections or just for a regular visit. I set up my log and organize my working area just the way I like it. I get report from the co-worker before me so I am aware of what was going on and what is to come. I am often faced with many personalities while at the desk from family members, fathers and, of course, the mother-to-be. I am kind of a lobor coach and a therapist as I hear how nervous he/she and/or family is and if she cannot seem to get her breathing under control while contracting. I also hear the happiness once the baby has been born. There are also times when I am confronted by the families of those who want to hear what is going on inside of the labor room, but I do not give any information out due to HIPPA. Yes, they can be harsh, but I do understand the anxiety of having a new edition come into the family. The hardest part of my job is the amount of family who refuses to leave the small waiting area and wait in the main lobby so the other patients can have room. The most enjoyable time is when the babies are born and the joy that shows on everyone's face.
I have learned how to have more patience since I have started this job. As mentioned earlier, there are a lot of personalities I am faced with it and that can be tough, but I have been told, and I believe, I handle myself well.
My co-workers all have their own way of working. They know the rules, but put their own "twist" on them because however they choose to work, is the best way for him/her to work (doctors and nurses included).
Taking care of elderly people
Phlebotomy (Externship) (Current Employee), Lexington, MADecember 20, 2013
Make sure the elderly people are clean and neat, i have good co-workers, theres no good or bad day.
Fun, up beat place to work!!
Medical Administrative Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 20, 2013
Great and busy atmosphere.
During this internship, I was 7 months pregnant, so I was not able to do much other than file the medical records and answer a few calls. However, The employees there were friendly and had a great relationship with their patients.
Hardest part of this job was being on my feet... and the most enjoyable part was finally getting the experience I Know I would need further down the road.
i love working in a hospital enviroment
Medical Assistant (Externship) (Former Employee), Boston, MADecember 9, 2013
My typical day at Beth Israel would be getting the patient charts from the waiting room, bringing the chart to my work station making sure all the progress notes, x-rays, MRI's are in the chart for the doctor, after placing everything in the chart, I call the patient in check the vitals then place them into the exam room. If some patients had stiches or staples that are ready to be removed I would take them out.
Supervisor IS Field Service/On-site Support
Supervisor IS Field Service/On-site Support (Current Employee), Boston, MaDecember 9, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Supervisor IS Field Service/On-site Support

Responsible for the day-to-day support operations of the On-Site (Desktop) Technical Support Team and the services that are provided to BIDMC users.

Position Summary:
Responsible for the day-to-day operational and support activities, assignments and technical competencies of the staff, ensuring that activities and assignments are performed with accuracy, completeness and timeliness. Providing and delivering technical support services in an enterprise environment and possess strong problem management skills and the ability to perform root cause analysis while working toward problem resolution and positive outcome.

Responsible for providing backup coverage for the IS Support Manager, providing 7x24 On-Call coverage and may be expected to be recalled to the Medical Center during off-duty hours in the event of a major outage.
productive
Volunteer office (Current Employee), Boston,MaDecember 3, 2013
Pros: talk to people
when you go in to do the work and they like to talk when they aren't busy.
Optimal work environment for any healthcare worker
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 30, 2013
Pros: superb health insurance, understanding and effective coworkers
Cons: the food in the cafeteria is too enticing to ignore.
BIDMC is a productive and healthy workplace that instills an optimal work environment for its employees.
Coworkers were great to work with as well as management
Cash Application Specialist & Patient Accounts Rep (Former Employee), Needham, MANovember 25, 2013
Pros: long lunches and gift give aways
Cons: pay didn't fit the amount of things you did.
Post payments to patient accounts, learning how to process a correted claim. Managemen was great work with if you had a question you could go to them and they would help you with anything.
Great Place to work
Perioperative Supply Technician (Current Employee), Boston, MANovember 23, 2013
Pros: great experience, fulfilling work
Cons: parking, longwood and brookline intersection is packed all
Every day is different at my workplace. Being able to work in Boston is not for everybody but BIDMC is well worth the commute for me. I get the opportunity to work with great people and patients who inspire me to become a better person everyday.
Productive and friendly environment
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 21, 2013
My externship at BIDMC Healthcare Associates Internal Medicine Department was unforgettable. I learned how important it is, as a Medical Assistant, to work both independently and in a team when taking vital signs and rooming patients. I learned how to obtain vital signs both manually and electronically, perform urinalysis tests, pregnancy tests, strep tests and got to practice EKGs. This experience contributed to my confidence in my patient intake skills as I gained valuable experience assisting doctors.

About Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is a patient care, teaching and research affiliate of Harvard Medical School, and – Read more