Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews

productive and educational
Intern (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 16, 2017
Christian atmosphere with inspiring and supportive staff. Diverse culture. The hardest part of the job is subjective as well as the most enjoyable part of the job
Great company
Independent Living Plus Coach (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 13, 2017
Great staff to work with. Everybody is friendly and go out their way to help achieve the organization mission. The most enjoyable part of the job is the clients.
Pros
culture
Cons
management
Large Non-profit organization
Counselor (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 26, 2017
Great learning opportunity if you are a "self-starter" and need minimal training or support. The mission of Bethany Christian Services is to provided a loving home for every child
Pros
Full Time
Cons
Long driving distances
Inspiring
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 21, 2017
Great place to work while serving the Lord. Respectful friendly employees and work that benefits others. Perfect job for someone who wants there work to reflect there spiritual beliefs.
Life changing organization
Medical Case Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 20, 2017
No matter what position you hold within this organization, you are guaranteed to make an impact on SOMEONE positively! Bethany is a world changing organization that you want to be a part of!
Pros
Great work environment, generally flexible hours, rewarding work, competetive pay
Cons
Can be emotionally demanding
Busy place to work
FOSTER CARE SUPERVISOR FOR CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 12, 2017
Overall, this was a great place to work. The benefits could have been greater. There were a lot of positive people to work with but with any social service organization there are always downfalls.
Pros
wonderful people to work with
Cons
under paid
Some nice people there.
Domestic Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 10, 2017
I love what they do for others. It is great to volunteer there, and help with the work they do. I wish them well and I hope they can grow and expand in the areas they desire to.
Bethany Christian Services
Home-Based Mental Health Clinician (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 23, 2017
Bethany Christian Services offered me an opportunity to grow not as just a Supervisor of Home-Based Services. But it allowed me an opportunity to grow as a leader and cultivate with such a diverse population.
Great experience doing many different task
Case support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 16, 2017
Worked with refugee children in the process of reunification with family in the United States. Got hands on expierience doing group therapy with the children, medical apointments, etc.
Great environment
Adoption Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAFebruary 12, 2017
Great environment, Christian environment and very supportive and dependable staff. Great learning opportunities and opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Christian environment
Cons
Pay is not very good
An active and dynamic work environment with lots of activities.
Youth Specialist/Residential (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 7, 2017
A typical day on the unit consists of transitioning from school to the unit. The boys get their snack and get ready for group therapy/group work time (packets/assignments related to treatment). After group work/group therapy there is an activity of some kind before dinner. After we eat the boys take care of assigned after dinner jobs, they take their showers, write in journals, and eventually get ready for bed. During summer break, holidays, and school days the boys enjoy a lot more free time/planned recreational activities.
I have learned true meanings of compassion, empathy, and developed a great appreciation for new perspectives. This job has developed my sense of creativity and how to apply it towards helping others.
The management at Bethany is dependable and flexible, something that is greatly appreciated in residential facilities.
The hardest part of my job is helping kids that are truly hurting/struggling with various issues. Seeing their disappointment in themselves or their loved ones is pretty tough. The best part of my job ranges from just interacting and playing games with boys without paying attention to their struggles, to physically watch them overcome milestones in treatment.
Pros
Food, no official uniform, great co workers, great experience (personal and professional)
Cons
Varied hours, low pay, less time with family and friends
Toxic Work Place
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 2, 2017
This agency does not behave professionally. Management is very judgmental, do not value quality of work, but rather employees that suck up. Management discriminates against majority employees as well as people with outspoken personalities. Many occasion in which supervisor displayed favoritism towards white employees. Agency at times turned a blind eye to complaints from clients instead of reporting it to CPS.
Pros
Flexiable work hours
Cons
Management discriminates
great job
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2017
the supervisors are very helpful and responsive. They will contact you back within the same day. They are personable and willing to do anything so that you will succeed.
Pros
they are friendly and always willing to help
Cons
compensation is low
Great place
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIDecember 2, 2016
This place has amazing people and an amazing work environment. You have monthly staff meetings to learn updates on each department. You have monthly team meetings to update on cases.
supervisors are unsupportive
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MINovember 26, 2016
The over all staff is great but the supervisors are no good for new worker. The level of exceptions can be overwhelming for new workers. The supervisors feel it's their way or no way.
Foster Care Case Manager
Foster Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 16, 2016
-While it is not stated, adheres to CRC doctrine (anti-homosexual, anti-abortion, anti-single parents, etc)
-High turnover rate in department
-Flexible scheduling
-On call is volunteer/sign up based (assigned if weeks are not taken); on call a week at a time
-Frequent raises
Unprofessional environment, unprofessional upper management, lack of job security
UAC Refugee Worker (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDMarch 22, 2016
This organization carries the name of being a Christian organization, but is quite honestly a poorly organized business hiding behind a religious guise. My experience as an employee was not positive and I would not suggest anyone else work here. I was with Bethany for about 4 months and this particular office had a very high employee turnover rate, as there were constantly people leaving after a few months, and new people being hired. I myself was let go without a two weeks notice, and without a reason for why I was being let go. According to Bethany's Employee Handbook the company can only not give you a 2 week notice if they have a reasonable explanation. The company did not give me an explanation. Even worse, when calling HR in Michigan to explain the situation HR basically said it was my word against theirs and that I had claimed to be bilingual for the position, and because I am not, they had reason to let me go. I never claimed to be bilingual and had in fact only agreed to be interviewed for the position after my then supervisor told me that I did not need to be bilingual for the position. My supervisors LIED in an effort to justify why they had completely mismanaged finances and had to let me go last minute without a notice, although it is required according to the Employee Handbook. It seemed obvious to me that management did not have a solid grasp of this particular office's finances, had not foreseen necessary budget cuts until last minute, and had to let me go. This was confirmed to me by another employee who was let go months after me who worked in the finance department.  more... Other issues, lunch breaks were abused to the point where it was common for many employees to take 2 hour lunch breaks and leave the office early. Working hours were never 9-5. Because I was a case worker and often had to wait until families were out of work, my hours were more like 11-8. Between management there was a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your's" sort of relationship so it was not a good idea to question if your supervisor wasn't in the office half the time and took really long lunch breaks. Honestly this is a shady, unorganized, unprofessional organization to work for and I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere.  less
Pros
Semi-annual and Annual Events, opportunity to work with families
Cons
Unprofessional management, lack of job security, abuse of lunch breaks, inconsistent hours, little opportunity for advancement
Foster parent
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 8, 2015
As a foster parent we cared for children along with our own. They lived in our home and we became there parents. Because of the different environments they came from, some not so pleasant they received a little more attention. We also, provided respite care for families for the weekend or during vacation giving the foster child a place to stay.
Pros
Making a positive impact on the client
Cons
Having children returned to the same poor, abuse environment they came from.
Terrible, hard, emotionally draining
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Traverse City MichiganAugust 4, 2015
Foster care case managing for a non profit organization is an impossible job. The staff at Traverse City Bethany Christian Services was positively amazing. The job itself is awful. The salary is a joke especially when factoring in the amount of hours one is expected to work 60+
Intern
Intern, Internship (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJune 8, 2015
Wonderful company to intern at. Very good learning experience, the work environment is amazing as well. Could not have asked for a better opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethany Christian Services. Our community is ready to answer.