Bethany Christian Services

Bethany Christian Services Employee Reviews in United States

Unprofessional environment, unprofessional upper management, lack of job security
UAC Refugee Worker (Former Employee) –  Crofton, MDMarch 22, 2016
This organization carries the name of being a Christian organization, but is quite honestly a poorly organized business hiding behind a religious guise. My experience as an employee was not positive and I would not suggest anyone else work here. I was with Bethany for about 4 months and this particular office had a very high employee turnover rate, as there were constantly people leaving after a few months, and new people being hired. I myself was let go without a two weeks notice, and without a reason for why I was being let go. According to Bethany's Employee Handbook the company can only not give you a 2 week notice if they have a reasonable explanation. The company did not give me an explanation. Even worse, when calling HR in Michigan to explain the situation HR basically said it was my word against theirs and that I had claimed to be bilingual for the position, and because I am not, they had reason to let me go. I never claimed to be bilingual and had in fact only agreed to be interviewed for the position after my then supervisor told me that I did not need to be bilingual for the position. My supervisors LIED in an effort to justify why they had completely mismanaged finances and had to let me go last minute without a notice, although it is required according to the Employee Handbook. It seemed obvious to me that management did not have a solid grasp of this particular office's finances, had not foreseen necessary budget cuts until last minute, and had to let me go. This was confirmed to me by another employee who was let go months after me who worked in the finance department.  more... Other issues, lunch breaks were abused to the point where it was common for many employees to take 2 hour lunch breaks and leave the office early. Working hours were never 9-5. Because I was a case worker and often had to wait until families were out of work, my hours were more like 11-8. Between management there was a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch your's" sort of relationship so it was not a good idea to question if your supervisor wasn't in the office half the time and took really long lunch breaks. Honestly this is a shady, unorganized, unprofessional organization to work for and I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere.  less
Pros
Semi-annual and Annual Events, opportunity to work with families
Cons
Unprofessional management, lack of job security, abuse of lunch breaks, inconsistent hours, little opportunity for advancement
Foster parent
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 8, 2015
As a foster parent we cared for children along with our own. They lived in our home and we became there parents. Because of the different environments they came from, some not so pleasant they received a little more attention. We also, provided respite care for families for the weekend or during vacation giving the foster child a place to stay.
Pros
Making a positive impact on the client
Cons
Having children returned to the same poor, abuse environment they came from.
Terrible, hard, emotionally draining
FOSTER CARE CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Traverse City MichiganAugust 4, 2015
Foster care case managing for a non profit organization is an impossible job. The staff at Traverse City Bethany Christian Services was positively amazing. The job itself is awful. The salary is a joke especially when factoring in the amount of hours one is expected to work 60+
Great Place to Work
case aid (Former Employee) –  Madison Heights, MIMay 30, 2015
The agency is wonderful. The staff are awesome. Hours are flexible. Pay was okay. Management sometimes can be overwhelming if stressful day. Pay was okay. Client interaction was appropriate. No complaints :)
Pros
everything
Cons
Pay
Little balance of work and personal life
Adoption worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Delaware ValleySeptember 30, 2012
Bethany as a whole, amazing agency. However, you need to look at each individual branch separately. They are not all created equally. The Branch Directory has very little sense of work and life balance and it trickles down to those she supervises, which in turn makes the staff suffer. There is no understanding of this is "my" time and I am not at your whim. The coworkers are phenomenal. Great support and encouragement. Great supervisors. The work that is being done is great. However, be prepared to be spend more time than is healthy working at a place that is filled with over worked staff members that are constantly being asked to do more.
Pros
staff is supportive, christ centered, benefits
Cons
salary, your time is not honored
Wonderful place to work and serve!
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2015
I have worked for Bethany Christian Services for over 10 year since graduating with my Masters in Professional Counseling and it has been one of the best employment experiences of my life. Working for an agency with this type of spiritual culture and personal and professional caring and excellence is VERY rare indeed! It has been a tremendous blessing to be able to work alongside people who love to serve others and to make a difference in the lives of children and their families.
A humble workplace
Case Manager/Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids MISeptember 28, 2012
A typical workday was hectic; between resource connecting clients clients, advocacy, interpretation and documentation; it was often a full day. I that learned team work, communication, patience and time management are important virtues. Good quality management is key to an organizations success and good teammates make the workplace warm and friendly. The hardest part of the job was managing the high number of clientele and their expectations while the most enjoyable part was seeing the results of the hard work that we put in as a team.
Pros
flexible hours, good health care, very good colleagues.
Cons
a little rigid when it came to religious matters.
Overall experience was positive...
Administrative Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 20, 2013
Very much stand behind the service this company provides... Finding forever families for orphans... God's command to care for the widow's and orphaned.

Typical day - project management, front desk coverage (breaks/lunch)
What I learned - all levels are equal, and each plays an important role in order to get the job done.
Co-worker's - very positive and enjoyable experience.
Hardest part of my job - working w/for a manager who was hyper "stressed" over her "workload", which made for a negative work environment when she was present.
Working as a team, making things happen for something we all believed in, seeing children united with forever families.
Pros
workout facilities, flexible schedule
Procductive and exciting place to work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Elkins Park, PAJune 1, 2014
My typical day at work was opening up. Preparing coffee for staff. I learned so much about the needs and the importance of proper paper work for our foster children. Management was really nice. Held meetings monthly and received rewards for your work. Well Done. My co-workers and I were like family. Even thou we all hade different jobs, the jobs went together with one other. Work together as a team. The hardest park of the job was seeing so many children in need of foster care or placement. then most enjoyable thing was seeing the children faces at holiday times when we were able to give them gifts, hugs and love.
Don't waste you time
Life Skills Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 28, 2014
Bethany Christian services does not stand behind its employees. The management is impersonal and not considerate of the employee. The hours are very long and the expectations unrealistic. The pay and benefits are terrible.

Want to know more about Bethany Christian Services?

Ask a question
enjoyed the work, but worked every weekend and most holidays, had to work 6 months full time until I received benefits
Residential (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 14, 2014
Most people were enjoyable to work with and I enjoyed the work, however managers do not take into account people's lives outside of work. I worked in residential and worked every weekend (often 16 hour shifts) and almost every holiday. I often worked 50+ hour weeks, and worked over 40 hours a week for six months before I received any benefits.
Pros
enjoyed the work most of the time
Cons
no weekends off in residential, 50+ hour work weeks
Wonderful workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbia, ILOctober 15, 2013
At Bethany Christian Services, there is no such this as a typical day. One day could be spent making house calls and others attending to cold calls at the hospital. I learned about adoption laws in Missouri and Illinois. My co-workers and management were very informative and made sure I was included in every aspect of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing couples who had been denied a child for so long be approved to adopt. The hardest part was going on cold calls to the hospital and comforting mothers who have decided to give their children up.
Amazing Non-Profit Social Services Agency
Website Marketing Manager/Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 12, 2012
Bethany was one of the best companies that I could have worked for after graduating college. I was promoted a few times over the six years I worked there, and I was given the freedom to grow into positions (a few were newly created positions). My supervisor at Bethany was one of the best I have ever had. The corporate office is a great and fun place to work with wonderful people that care deeply about their careers and the needs of others.
Are you searching for quality and productivity?
Foster Care Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Elkins Park, PAJuly 24, 2012
Ineffective leadership, intense work load and lack of time to balance, lack of job security and advancement. High turn-over, no structured new employee orientation. You complete most of your training online. Lack of consistency,regarding policy and practice.
Pros
love the families and the kids
Cons
ineffective leadership managers and supervisors
Intern
Intern, Internship (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJune 8, 2015
Wonderful company to intern at. Very good learning experience, the work environment is amazing as well. Could not have asked for a better opportunity.
Regional Director Donor Engagement (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 7, 2015
Great non profit that does outstanding work to better the lives of children. The global work they do is outstanding and they should be recognized for their work in other countries.
excellent work environment-both locations; spiritually uplifting; rewarding career
Adoptions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 13, 2012
My experience at Bethany Christian Services was enlightening, enjoyable, and rewarding! As a first time Adoptions coordinator, I thought it would more difficult than it actually was. Working closely with the Birth-mother counselor helped to dove tail our services, and make them more benficial to all prospective parents as well as borth parents.
Unfortunately, my time there was cut short due to an injury sustained by my 18 month old son. I had to leave and be a full-time parent to both he and his sister. I long to rejoin forces with a respected adoptions company in the near future.
Pros
positive work environment; great team to co-labor with
Cons
two locations both in the springs and denver made it difficult to integrate staff!
Faith-based private agency with world-wide locations
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 27, 2014
Bethany Christian Services is dedicated to helping children and families through a variety of services, including adoption, foster care, refugee services, a counseling center and in-home counseling services. I was in the Family Preservation program. A typical day at work consisted of therapy sessions with families in their homes, phone contacts with other professional persons and paperwork. My coworkers maintained high professional standards. The most difficult part of my job was seeing first-hand the great needs that many people have. The most enjoyable part of the job was my work with the families.
Pros
able to set my own daily schedule
Cons
dealing with budgetary issues
Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 29, 2015
Bethany Christian Services is a great Christian atmosphere. All of the employees really care for one another and it shows in everything they do. All of the workers care and advocate for their clients.
Working at Bethany is emotional and satisfying because we are helping people deal with their personal issues and life in general.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Holland MIJuly 7, 2014
I come in every day and sort the mail from the previous day, distribute mail to the staff mailboxes for 3 buildings. I pass out files for the counseling staff for the day. I check the voice mail from overnight and assist the client or caller. I work in the client files sending records when requested, closing files for clients completed therapy, answer all incoming calls and direct them to the appropriate staff. I take minutes at the all staff meetings and distribute to all staff. I have learned how to assist clients and help staff to complete tasks. The hardest part of this job is to see the emotional side of families and work with abused and neglected children. The most enjoyable part is seeing clients adjust to their situations and grow as individuals and be able to adjust to living as a family member not just as themselves.
Pros
staff gets along very well. clients are glad to see me.
Cons
no lunch time, we sit at our desks and eat.

Bethany Christian Services Reviews by Location