Bethesda Lutheran Communities Employee Reviews

No work life balance and very stressful.
Area Director (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 18, 2017
This is a toxic working environment. This place has no work life balance at all. The management is very much micromanaging and very negative. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Great individuals needing help
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  WisconsinSeptember 16, 2017
Helping individuals with developmental disabilities. Transporting the to and from appointments, work, shopping, movies, ect. Helping with other daily activities such as showering, cooking, cleaning.
Pros
Trips with individuals on outings you wouldnt be able to go on on your own.
Cons
Insurance is over priced and not very good.
What to expect
Lead Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WISeptember 14, 2017
Providing personal cares to assist people with activities of daily living is the focus. CBRF setting, so people are in a home, but not their own. Definitely tries to provide the best care, but lack of staffing make it difficult on the staff they have.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
No breaks
They only value senior managers
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WISeptember 14, 2017
The organization is one that lacks diversity. They are not forward thinkers and do the minimum. Many of the leaders come from other backgrounds outside of the disability community. Bethesda's senior managers are paid very well, nearly all of them make six figures while the direct care staff make very little. The company mostly takes care of seniors with severe intellectual disabilities and do not offer programs where they are able to enhance their lives to the fullest. Bethesda's day habilitation program involves mediocre activities such as coloring and watching outdated movies. The company does little to invest in development and research including not giving the appropriate funds needed back into the facilities that house their constituents. The staff are overall decent but participate in office politics that primary ignores the minority workers and celebrate the non minority colleagues successes.
Pros
It's a job, working with people with intellectual disabilities
Cons
No career growth for minorities, Poor leadership, Low wages
This company does not support the Christian values it professes.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CASeptember 12, 2017
Very stressful work environment. I was on call 24/7 while not on PTO but continued to receive calls from families and corporate while on PTO and required to input payroll every other Sunday without pay.

There was frequent turnover at upper management level.
Pros
Worked with very nice people.
Cons
Expectations constantly changed requiring more unpaid hours and time away from family.
Okay place to work with management hands off
PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Watertown, WISeptember 6, 2017
Wrote and distributed press releases to media outlets to gain favorable news coverage. Involved in day to day meetings to discuss strategy for the organization as it related to marketing.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor Management
This job asked me my hours they agreed but I never worked the hours I asked for due to me having a smalll child I needed a 7am to 3pm
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILSeptember 5, 2017
Overall I ouldnt recommend this facility to anyone unless you don't have kids. I'd say go ahead but if you have small kids I would not recommend the facility to anyone
Pros
Eating with the residents getting to know the residents
Cons
Staying over late because the next person wouldn't come in
Assist individuals (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAAugust 29, 2017
My manager in the house was very rude. It was not a surprise if he made inappropriate comments towards other workers. I left this company strictly because of him and not the clients I cared for.
Pros
The clients
Productive.
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2017
Bethesda was a great place to work. I had no issues when I was there and I could have moved up there. However I moved to another State after being on the job past six months, maybe eight months there.
fun and fast-paced
Direct Support Professional II (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 23, 2017
it was always fast-paced, enjoyable, and rewarding. I learned multiple techniques in supporting people with IDD. I was able to work in a large group setting
Pros
overtime
Great work place
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 20, 2017
Home like setting, with individuals that are special needs. Help them with activities of daily living. Teach them every day live skills. Family oriented and religious based.
mission looks good on paper....but not in practice
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIAugust 18, 2017
For a faith based organization, they simply miss the mark on living out their mission. the most recent downsizing was announced in the coldest way possible.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
no transparency, huge disconnect between the corporate staff and operations
Bethesda
Lead Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAAugust 17, 2017
I loved my Job with Bethesda, I worked there for 27+ years. I would have loved a few more years but sadly the Apple Valley Programs are shutting down in September 2017.
Pros
Geoo benifits and friendly staff.
Cons
Its closed
normal day
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 16, 2017
I would have to clean, pass medication, transport individuals to appointments and outings, documentation. I learned how to deal with individuals with dangerous and high risk behaviors what to do and what not to do, I learned how changes in medications can change an individuals behaviors.
Pros
watching my indvidual achieve a daily goal or long term goal
Cons
not being able to get in touch with mangment when serious events occured
Fun and gratifying place to work
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 15, 2017
My direct manager, and co workers are amazing! The people supported are fantastic individuals. The opportunity to spend time with them and get to do activities and go to events with in the community is enlightening.
Pros
working with and assisting awesome individuals
Cons
hourly wage is not enough
good company
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, ILAugust 14, 2017
this is a good company to work for management is very nice. I would say the only thing that they need to work on is ow much they pay their employees. other than that everything is good here
Pros
free lunch
This company needs an over-haul
QIDP (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAAugust 12, 2017
What happened to all the bad reviews? A typical day at work is people working overtime because others wont come in to cover their shifts. I didn't really learn much. The workplace culture is "every man for himself". The hardest part of the job is that management does not help and they are not honest. The best part of the job is working with the clients.
Pros
Pay is okay
Cons
Bad management, too many changes
Productive, and fun work place
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 10, 2017
They are a very nice company and willing to listen to your concerns. They treat all staff fairly and with respect. They are willing to work with your schedule.
very compassionate but kinda stressful
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Fairview Park, OHAugust 1, 2017
Working with MR/DD adults can be challenging at times. You have to have a certain kind of compassion to deal with them individuals, whiles I loved what I do there were stressful times.
Pros
getting to know individuals
Cons
pay suck
I loved it
Lead Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 1, 2017
such an awesome place to work at. I love the people in which I worked with. The clients were so unique and I loved giving them the care that they deserved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bethesda Lutheran Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9