Bethpage Federal Credit Union

Bethpage Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Career Starter only
N/A (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYFebruary 21, 2016
Bethpage is a great place to start your career, but no longer provides a mid-career individual room for growth. Due to corporate changes over the past few years they now have more "chiefs" than support staff.
While they do have a comparably good benefits package, they sincerely lack in annual compensation. As a non-for-profit, they are very focused on a strict budget. HR says that they advocate for a healthy life/work balance, but they should consider increasing their compensation for veteran employees so that they don't need to work multiple jobs in order to afford living in NY. (Top 5 highest cost of living in the US).
benefits
Cons
annual compensation and lack of growth
Great benefits, difficult culture to adapt to.
BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Massapequa, NY 11758March 7, 2016
I was excited to work for the Credit Union and looking forward to the experience after working for Commercial Banks. I found that the culture was very different and the support I had received from other employers was reduced considerably at BFCU. The training was good, however, the person I reported to was going through a rough time and was unable to provide the direction and time to help me adapt. I discovered that there were many departments that were working excessively long hours and this caused considerable discontent. The CEO was not interested in having middle management express their perspective of the market and what their staff needed or what the competition had to offer. I found the environment was not conducive for a manager to run their store without constant oversight and micro management. In addition, some staff that were written up due to poor performance or repeated absences would complain to HR. In return, I would be scrutinized for my decision rather than the employee who was unable to meet the duties of the job role they accepted. The authority that I had at J.P. Morgan Chase and at North Fork Bank enabled be to create a team that was professional and knowledgeable. We won many contests for performance in a variety of areas of service. At BFCU, the mentality was very different. They were not honest about the location where I would be working. They moved managers at a whim, which in turn made our members upset. Relationships were formed. Often this was disregarded. I felt it was in my best interest to move on to an organization that was a better match  more... for my standards and experience.  less
Pros
Benefits, pension, 401K
Cons
Heavy work load, long hours, lack of support from upper management
Part-time Teller (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMarch 12, 2016
Amazing place to work. School schedule caused me to have to resign. They offer tuition reimbursement and have great benefits. Wonderful staff and management.
Benefits
Cons
Not flexible with college schedules
productive and efficient office
Teller (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJune 22, 2016
Working at this office I was able to grow with knowledge. This is why I decided to go back into the medical field. It was very productive and efficient office. At first it was a lot to learn but over the time period I was able to multi task and be able to help assist in bringing the patient heating pads and making sure they were comfortable.Co workers were a joy to work with and willing to teach. The hardest part of my day was leaving to go home after a hard working day. Most enjoyable part was seeing patients feeling better about there day leaving the office with such a welcoming feeling.
Excellent company to work for!
Home Lending Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 28, 2016
I am proud to say that I work for such a great company. Since I started 8 years ago, a lot has changed for the better and it keeps on getting better. I’m glad that I was able to be here through all the positive changes that took place. I started with the company as a full time teller and I was quickly promoted to a head teller. I opened two new branches and worked with many great employees. I then returned to the main branch in Bethpage as a loan and service representative (LMS). I was then quickly promoted to a LMS II representative. In my newest role, as a Home Lending Specialist, I can honestly say this is where I belong. I have learned so much over the years and I have finally found my passion. I look forward to experiencing many more opportunities here at Bethpage Federal Credit Union.
Pros
Excellent 401K plan, compensations, bonus (power pay)
Cons
nothing other than the usual, everyone wishes for more pay :)
Great Place to Work
Head Teller (Current Employee) –  Massapequa, NYApril 23, 2016
I have worked for Bethpage FCU for 2 years now and I can honestly say that Bethpage truly cares about its employees. I came from a smaller credit union that did not really have room for advancement and when I came to Bethpage they reassured me that there would be so much room for advancement and growth within the company. Bethpage makes you feel like you are part of their family. I enjoy helping the members and I enjoy the teamwork between employees. The management is very supportive with learning new tasks and preparing you for any new opportunities that may arise.
Pros
Benefits, Growth, Bonus
Amazing Company to Work For!
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMarch 3, 2016
Working at BFCU was the best working experience I had! Lots of training in a class environment and also otj training to ready you for your job. Lots of promotion from within. Small home grown company, great company.
Great Culutre
teller (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYDecember 18, 2015
Bethpage is a great place to work with excellent values. The executives are personable and take time to talk with employees. The biggest challenge is competing with big banks and keeping salaries competitive.
Great place to work!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYApril 22, 2016
I have worked here for almost 9 years, and I can honestly say I love my job. I have worked in several different branches and have had the pleasure of working with dozens of different employees, almost all of which are a pleasure to work with. I enjoy helping the members that come in, and I love the teamwork between employees here. The days can be challenging, especially when you have those tough issues to figure out for a member, but at the end of the day, the member leaving with a smile makes it worth it!
Pros
Great teammates, good benefits
Career Starter
N/A (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 27, 2016
The corporate environment has changed drastically over the past decade. Through expansion there is more opportunity, especially on the front line in branches.

If you want to have a career in the financial industry, Bethpage is a great starting point. The benefits are above average and they do make an effort to be employee friendly. They just don't move quickly with their promises, you have to be patient.
Benefits
Cons
As a non profit the salaries are lower than the larger financial institutions
A fast growing company with a good work atmosphere.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYSeptember 6, 2016
Completed all customer transactions including withdrawals, deposits, transfers, payments, check cashing, etc.

Recorded night and mail deposits

Sold cashier's checks, travelers checks and series E Bonds

Received loan payments
Proud To Work For Bethpage
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 22, 2016
Bethpage truly cares about their employees. I come to work and feel valued, which in turn allows me to be the best version of myself and provide great service to our members as well as our fellow co-workers. I feel accomplished when I leave for the day and excited to come to work the next. I am proud to say I work for Bethpage Federal Credit Union.
Pros
Caring Staff, Involved in the Community, Growing Organization
Fast growing company
Administrative Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYMay 30, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with a great group of people. Excellent benefits! The hardest part of the job is sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours -- too hard on the eyes, arms, hands and shoulders.
Care A Lot About Their Members
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYSeptember 10, 2015
I learned so many great customer service and supervisory skills while working for Bethpage. The hardest part of my job was dealing with management who were not supportive and very unprofessional. I enjoyed the company as a whole. Great benefits.
Pros
Reimbursements, Salary, Benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Fantastic Place to Work!!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, New YorkApril 22, 2016
Bethpage is great place to work. There is great growth opportunity and managers support continuous learning. There are so many great teams and clubs to keep employees engaged and their benefits are phenomenal!
Pros
Benefits, Growth, Bowling Team, Book Club
Cons
None!!
Great Company that Promotes Growth from Within
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington, NYApril 25, 2016
This is a family oriented company that promotes Internal development and growth. it's a service oriented company that will give you self satisfaction in what you do.
Pros
service oriented, community oriented
Just my opinion
Loan Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Roosevelt, NYApril 20, 2015
A typicla day in the branches is all about providing excellent customer service
You learn a lot about finances, investments, consumer loans, product knowledge
Management is all about politics
Co-workers change a lot, but all are good
The hardest part of the job is knowing you must resolve every single issue a member has
The most enjoyable part is having a job
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Great environment to work in!
Loan and Member Services Representative II (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYApril 2, 2015
This is a really great company to work for. Management does really care about their employees, and will go far to demonstrate that outlook. Have nothing negative to say about workplace culture.
I have gained a wealth of information in regards to financial practices and skills that are needed and required in order to perform duties at a high level. Their learning center does a thorough job in preparing its employees. This company also offers many opportunities to advance and grow within.

There has been a recent restructuring within that has led to some uncertainty amongst its back office employees. However, with all fairness management have given individuals that have been affected opportunity to succeed.This is the the only negative aside that I can add here.
Pros
Employees are treated very well
Cons
No set scheduling for its branches
Amazing place to work
Loan & Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYApril 26, 2016
Great company to work for with a lot of opportunity for advancement. They spend a lot of time and money to train and develop employees.
Pros
Training & benefits
Great job, terrible management and operations unless you're a favorite
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Bethpage, NYAugust 27, 2015
When I first started as a PT teller, I had great intentions and accomplishments in order to grow within the company as they promise they do.... However that is false advertisement. I was told that 'I was young and had time to grow within the company' for one of the 5 FT teller positions I had went on. Through all of this I stayed..., However it only got worse with the constant demeaning belittlement that only grew worse. Micromanagement is a big thing here as expectations grow with what were supposed to know yet upper level doesn't know how to accomplish teller duties but gives us more work then were actually supposed to do... If you're the worker that everyone loves, go for it... if you're the hard worker that doesn't stand out in the crowd because you're working too hard to become a favorite (personally) then skip them.
Pros
Power Pay (yearly bonus), light goals
Cons
Micromanagement, favoritism, lack of growth, no professional feedback on interviews

Bethpage Federal Credit Union Reviews by Location