Better Business Bureau Employee Reviews in United States

Improving my Business Traits
Charity Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
The Better Business Bureau is a great opportunity for me to improve my business skills ranging from communication, financials, and management. They have various speakers come and talk to the interns regarding the professional world, which is great knowledge and very inspiring. My day is very productive and involves hands on communication, verbally and written.
Great company luncheons and parties!
Accreditation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2016
I come into the office to contact owners to receive accreditation for their company,I learn a lot about different businesses, my manager is a very understanding person and tries to resolve any issues that may come about. My co-workers are my away from home family.The hardest part about my job is being on commission only.Most enjoyable part is contacting possible customers to be part of the Better Business Bureau.
Pros
Great Company to work for
Cons
Commission based
Management Needs Professional Training
Dispute Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
**This review is applicable only to the dispute resolutions department**

It could potentially be a great place to work if not for the poor training, inconsistent expectations, and the poor management and team development.

You're expected to kiss up a lot and never, ever point out discrepancies in policies, procedures of the way the department is run. If ever an issue arises, you can expected to be address rudely and unprofessionally with a smile and a thank you. The excuse for this behavior is "not being politically correct."
Difficult place to work
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 14, 2016
In my three years in business development, 97% of the staff left as managed changed hands. When I was hired the business development manager said I'd have the potential to earn $60,000 annually. The last year I was there I was the top rep and didn't make $40,000. Hopefully it's better now.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Cannot keep employees
See below
Manager for the Quad Cities (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMarch 11, 2016
Reports are outdated.Any company can join by paying. I worked 14 years doing not only my required job, but others work just to keep the data base up to date.

CEO allowed companies to join as long as they paid, no matter what the staff let him know about the company.
Pros
Nice work hours
Cons
backstabbing employees
Independent Contractor
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDMay 23, 2016
I worked with them for a very short about of time and was treated well. I worked as a writer from home, so I am not an authority on the office life but my supervisor was kind and quick to respond.
Signed companies up to the Better Business Bureau. Leadership, Discipline and Integrity.
S&S Marketing (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 2, 2015
It was a fun place to work and the management team was second to none. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers, we all learned from each other. I especially liked sharing my my knowledge/wisdom to help someone else be successful. This was the type of job where you needed to stay positive or you wouldn't be successful.

The economy crashed and was very difficult to make money in the end.
Pros
I worked with the best team
Cons
100% Commision
Good place to work,
Bureau Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAOctober 26, 2015
Hectic. On phone with customer service. Really enjoy assisting consumers and business. I have learned what happens and how things really do affect business and consumers. Management could be better. Very young crew. Made good friend there. Dealing sometimes with management. Communicating and assisting consumers and businesses.
Pros
assisting consumers and being able to help
Cons
A little more support from management staff
Wonderful Job Opportunity!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Better Business Bureau with assisting clients in filling out their census applications. It was fun translating for different people from a variety of cultural backgrounds different than my own. The atmosphere where I was placed was a wonderful environment.
Pros
Everything was great!
Cons
no complaints!
Accreditation Sales to Businesses
Business Relation Representative (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 1, 2015
Advised companies of their invitation to apply for the Accreditation
Explain BBB Accreditations, answer questions and concerns and procure their application along with their yearly investment.
excellent
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 16, 2015
the hardest part of the day was handling very irate customer complaints in a professional manner. I worked very well with my co workers as a team, and the most rewarding part of my job was solving the complaints.
Pros
solving customer complaints
Cons
knowing that each call someone was going to have a complaint
Support?
Sales (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CADecember 14, 2015
Didn't get a lot of support from our President, tough sales environment. However my Supervisor, VP of Sales and all the great people there made it bearable.
Loved to work and over excel goals
Business Development (Current Employee) –  SacramentoJuly 14, 2015
Love to go to work and thrive around intelligent people daily and participate with the daily world around me. This is a ideal non-profit to get to know small businesses in the entire Sacramento area, and help them as well as consumers who utilize them.
Pros
Non-profit, helps companies, work is ethical & moral, love to help companies, satisfaction
Cons
Large turnover, no hr services at all, no room for growth, need more employees
Okay place to work
Dispute Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 4, 2015
You will spend the day talking. To businesses, consumers, etc. Dealing with the public is hard; they are demanding and think BBB can do all these things BBB cannot do as a non profit. Businesses get mad at BBB when a consumer files a complaint. They say BBB always sides with the consumer. When consumers don't get what they want they say BBB always sides with the business. Hard part is that the consumers who really need help you can't do anything for.
Pros
Paid Healthcare, work life balance, entry level opportunities
Cons
Low pay, little room for advancement, Clique-ish office politics
Accredited Business Retention Administrator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYJuly 2, 2015
Great sales manager. Great coworkers. Great atmosphere. They celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries and individual accomplishments. By far the best work environment that I have ever experienced. Not a perfect HR system, but truly a nice place to go everyday.
Pros
Caring coworkers who make the work day enjoyable
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Old school approach to sales
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 24, 2015
Limited in creative sales approach. One call close approach. Robo calls. Scripted presentations. Cold call approach to sales. Tight and crowded working environment.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Pay is limited
Culture of the office was wonderful
DIRECTOR OF SALES (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 27, 2015
Director over 8 sales staff for the entire Southern Nevada Region working 9-11 hours a day. Hardest part of the job was convincing employees to stay as the pay wasn't that great and cold calling is difficult day after day. The most enjoyable part of this job was my coworkers.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
Great talking with business owners
Accreditation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2015
A typical day of work was cold calling businesses. Average number of calls was 200-250 outbound calls. Our boss would micro-manage causing some to feel as if they were in grade school. This was a commission only job so everyone was aware of the pressure and what it took to get the job done! The hardest part of the job was going a day without a sale but then the most enjoyable and memorable part was making 3-4 sales the next day!!
Pros
Great company outings
Cons
Micro Management
A laid back and very nice work environment.
Dispute Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 16, 2016
I have been handling complaints for 22 years at the BBB, it takes extreme patience and compassion toward the consumer and business.
A typical day is to work what is called a tickler this shows all of your complaints and what step they are in at the time to know what the next procedure is. I usually have between 150 and 200 complaints n my tickler.
There is always new complaints to work which are done first so they go out the same day. I make phone calls to both the consumer and business when needed to move the complaint along.The ideal timeline to close a complaint is 30days but there are always situations that don't always allow this.
The hardest part of the job is when either consumer or company is not happy with a closure and trying to explain why the complaint was closed that way.
My most enjoyable part of my work is when I can close a complaint as Resolved and everyone is happy. I also try to have a good relationship with both consumer and company and have found that if you smile when on the phone and tell your self to have a positive attitude, this goes a long ways to having a good day.
Every complaint is a new experience and I do learn about the companies and how they conduct business when confronted with the negative.
Pros
Time off with pay before a holiday starts our CEO does this as he appreciates his whole staff.
Cons
The negative attitudes of consumers and businnesses at times.
Competetive workplace but never a dull moment. Great fitness room and kitchen.
Dispute Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 15, 2015
The new building was beautiful and very spacious. My manager was great. The CEO was always finding new ways to update our systems and machines.
Pros
Exercise room, free pizza, great Christmas parties, great 401k plan, and raises
Cons
Rude consumer calls

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Better Business Bureau. Our community is ready to answer.