Better World Books

Better World Books Employer Reviews

Unorganized, Not Managed, No Future
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INAugust 15, 2014
Cons: the business is not managed properly.
No one trained or even introduced me to the job. Self Taught. Co-workers are very negative and enjoy spending their days gossiping. Problems stay problems in the company even when they are pointed out repeatedly. Management is unfocused and never working towards the same goal.
Amazing breakroom and good benefits.
Scanning Associate, Shipping Specialist (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INJuly 6, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: poor management, no smoking on campus.
Great company, amazing work with organizations like Books for Africa. Great concept, Eco Friendly. But poor management.
No task to easy?
Scanning Clerk (Current Employee), Mishawaka, INJune 10, 2014
A typical day here consists of processing incoming boxes of books. Recycle any rejected books into bins. At end of day you have to clean your station and another task assigned by a team lead. Must process books at an hourly goal per day to meet performance standards.
Great opportunity to accrue books
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INJune 2, 2014
Pros: books
Cons: hot
The work was fairly easy, the environment was pretty hot in the summer, but you have the ability to buy books that are going to be recycled for 25 cents. Filled 2 bookshelves in about a month and a half.
Donation distribution warehouse
Scanner/Trainer (Former Employee), Mishawaka,INApril 2, 2014
A nice place to work. The most enjoyable part was giving new life to old books.
Fun, growing company.
Acquisitions Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJanuary 22, 2014
This was a small company that has really established itself and "grown-up". It was a great introduction into acquisitions and sales.
A great company to work that are positive and passionate about their product services and what they do.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INDecember 22, 2013
A typical day at Better World Books included me clocking in on time and then reporting to my team leader to see what my assigned tasks were for the day. This company taught me the actual importance and value of what a traditional book withholds. Furthermore, my co-workers and management were supportive and helpful when it came to applying myself to – more... my position as best as I possibly could. – less
Great mission and wonderful opportunities to learn
Inside Sales (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAOctober 26, 2012
Fun environment with a great mission. You'll connect with people from all over the U.S and Canada, lots of opportunity to travel and learn about the industry.
Not what they appear
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Alpharetta, Ga.October 18, 2012
The company has great intentions and does good work around the world. However, I don't think there is one person who works there that wouldn't quit tomorrow if they had the opportunity. Confusing comp plans and appear to change without notice month to month. Great potential but lack sales sophistication and professionalism.
Low Pay, Good friends
Book Scanner (Current Employee), Mishawaka, INOctober 2, 2012
Pros: i love reading, employees can buy the books for very very reasonable
Cons: over worked for the compensation, no advancement
Very low pay, great co workers, there is no advancement,employees are able to buy books for very reasonable, I have learned a lot of different authors,I have learned quite a lot about old books and art.
Fun and Productive Working Environment
Value Stream Associate (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INAugust 15, 2012
Pros: benefits, competition, the people, the corporation
I started off here as a picker/packer; picking books all over the warehouse from high places to low. The best part about that is we we aloud to listen to our headphones, and I love music so I had a lot of fun doing it all. After picking books according to the pick sheet we packed the books in either envelops,(depending on the size), or boxes. Put the – more... shipping label on the package and send it to shipping department. I moved from being a picker/packer to a Value Stream Associate. In that area we had to use pallet jacks to bring book freight from the drop off area to the scanning area. We scanned or typed in the UPC of the book stating the condition of the book, (Very Good, Good, Poor). Then, we put a scan and location label on the book, and placed the books on a cart. The "shelvers" take the full carts, find available space on shelves and place and locate them there. (I did some of that as well) The managers were very cool. Easy to get along with and very friendly. Everybody seemed so friendly and helpful there. The break-room consisted of first, the room where there's a pool table, fish tank, plenty of chairs and of course books. The other break-room was basically where you ate and watched television. They provided you with everything that you needed. The hardest part of the job was working in the warehouse on hot summer days, but they always brought popsicles to keep us cool. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that they had all of these programs and affiliates such as "Books for Africa", that books and money we're donated to. – less
The company valued safety.
Scanner/Forklift/Material Handler (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INApril 24, 2012
During my time with company t was a hard honest days work.
I learned the ins and outs of the daily operations.
I felt the management was employee friendly when it came to
suggestions production flow.
My co-workers aware of the need to do there job.
The hardest part of my job was completing tasks from the previous
shift while keeping up with my own.
Wonderful, fun, company to work for!
Campus Opperative (Former Employee), Elon, NCMarch 4, 2012
Pros: wonderful culture, managment, compensation
Cons: layed off my entire department
Loved working for this company, wish I could still be. Found the job and applied on a whim, after being hired I found myself and excelled. The job is what you make of it, give a little bit of time and make some nice spending cash, make it your life for a two week period and make some serious cash! Wonderful culture, loved my manager, and great compensation, – more... increases as your performance does. – less
Growing, Environmentally friendly
Scanning Supervisor (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INAugust 8, 2011
Pros: good benefits
Cons: extremely high employee turnover rate
Better World Books is a young, growing company with much potential recycling used books for resale and use in making insulation and other resources instead of letting them go to land fills. Books are given in efforts to eliminate illiteracy all over the world.
Laid back but structured workplace.
Value Stream Associate (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INMay 23, 2011
Pros: easy work, friendly staff, full time benefits
Cons: pay isnt merit based....and not that great
Warehouse work for the most part. Physical labor, yes, but nothing that anyone who is in somewhat decent shape couldn't handle.

I certainly didn't look forward to going to work every day....but I didn't dread it either.

I would (and have) recommended Better World Books to people in search of employment.

I'd rate them an Eight out of Ten
Productive, Team Work, Atmosphere
Acquistions Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: nice evenly paced schedule.
Cons: more hours would be greatly appreciated
Check any incoming inventory, sort, organize and prioritize assorted tasks. This is a part time job.
Great job
Warehouse Operative (Agency Worker) (Former Employee), DunfermlineJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: no job security as an agency worker.
Fantastic staff,great job.Whether it was picking the orders,packing the orders ready for shipping,you felt that regardless of your role for that particular day,it was all worthwhile.
two week assignment
Shipping Team Member (Former Employee), DunfermlineJuly 29, 2013
packing and shipping productions to all over the globe

learned how to work as part of a production team again

as this was such a short assignment i couldn't get an overall feel for this job