BevMo Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Job Low Pay and no benefits
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Bevmo is a job where you can expect flexible hours and management that is willing to work around your schedule
Below I will provide some pros and cons.

Pros: Easy job and if your young you will like the job culture because the average employee is young
Wine and beer. tasting for employees every Friday and Saturday.

Cons : Low pay
No holiday pay
No benefits
No overtime
Low Hours of work
High Expectations from customers ( mostly elderly people who shop for wine) and zero to minimum training
No Holiday Parties
Really Early Holiday meetings
Static Job can be really boring as your routine can be the same every day.
fun working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZDecember 6, 2015
Typical day starts at 9 and ends at 4. Working hours are not very long which if it is just a part time job is very good. Advancement opportunities are good. The employees and management are very nice and make working there fun. The pay is not the best but once again if it is only part time it is not much of a problem. The benefits are only offered to full time employees. Management will work with you if you have another job or have to leave town. However the job does get a little boring on slow days when you are just standing around but just ask and they will find you something to do. Overall fun working environment.
Pros
management, breaks are good, environment
Cons
pay, benefits, can be boring on slow days
No corporate focus, training and education of product is a joke.
Wine specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2015
Bevmo is not a good company to work for (it used to be). Management is bottom line focused and product knowledge is not a priority, which makes it very difficult at first to describe wine and beer.
Equipment and cash handling are outdated and backwards.
Pros
If you are a self starter it can be great, but extremely demanding.
Cons
Pay and benefits are sub standard, management has little focus, product knowledge has no priority.
A fast paced job that required knowledge of product, aggressive sales tactics, and time management.
Head Clerk (Former Employee) –  Upland, CAJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work involved stocking and rotating product as needed. I learned a lot about alcohol in general but as a manager I have learned how to manage a team of co-workers in order to achieve sales goals, assisting customers in order to prevent theft and ensure a great visit to Bevmo!, and the ability to not only be able to approach anyone but to be approachable myself. My co-workers were great assets to my team and all worked very hard. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irrational customers that were either stealing or under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to learn the history and etiquette of alcohol while tasting and talking with customers during our wine and beer tasting events on the weekends.
Pros
access to a wide variety of alcoholic beverages
Cons
no benefits, no compensation for large sales, corporate did not consider opinions of employees, work was monotonous and employees are under-appreciated.
Was the greatest job but very high turn over.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 11, 2016
Bevmo has figured out to turn the greatest job in the world into a position with such high expectations, high sense of accountability, combined with no resources that you where not able to complete your duties.

For example we would run a 4% payroll at the store level. This translates to 2 people on staff a majority of the time. One manager and one cashier to keep up with product flow, store standards and in a very demanding high traffic customer flow environment.

The corporate office has very high turn over rate which translates to new initiatives, policies and procedures being passed down on a daily basis. The company is trying to move at the speed of light and needs to slow down. I suggest Bevmo work on fundamentals like a standard operating procedure manual where all policies and procedures are in one place so they can start to deliver a clear consise message of expectations.
Pros
Customers, team in the field and exposer to limited release beers and spirits.
Cons
No clear vision from corporate office to the field.
Nice place to work
bevmologist (Current Employee) –  Turlock, CAJanuary 22, 2016
Very flexible hours and fair managers, great experience for employees. I mainly work on the register but I also work the floor keeping the shelves stocked and performing customer service which I really enjoy. The job does require a certain level of product knowledge, which has grown for me in the last 3 years.
Pros
flexible
Cons
not a lot of advancement
A beverage store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 27, 2015
I would normally come in and not know what register I would be at for the day or even if I had a new till. I would try to stay busy during slow times by facing or stocking. My coworkers were all great people, although management treated us like nothing.
Hardest part of the job: Being yelled at to go back to my register when I was already there.
Most enjoyable: I got free stuff from vendors.
Pros
Free things
Cons
Productive and fun wokrplace.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 23, 2016
A typical day at work includes assisting customers with their purchases, such as; suggesting a product, special ordering a product they may want but we do not have in the store, and walking their items to their vehicles. I also stock the shelves when they start to empty, switch out merchandise to the new products, and make sure all the product is properly organized
team work atmosphere
Cashier, and Sales floor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 22, 2016
Good team working atmosphere, flexible hours, but not much room for any advancements. Managers were very organized and the store has a very friendly team environment with hard workers. Great customer service and its a job that taught me new and fun things I didn't know before. The hardest part of the job is that you are on your feet the whole time and it was only a part time job
Love what I do, not a fan of the company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJanuary 20, 2016
I do not have faith in the company and the direction they are going. Product mix if uninspiring, They do not stay up to date with trends, standard operating procedures.
Pros
Fun store enviroment
Cons
Lack of clear direction from management
Really positive and upbeat place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northgate, WAJanuary 25, 2016
This was my first job and it I enjoyed it because the management was great and made it a fun place to learn, taste, and sell alcohol
Pros
alcohol information
Cons
rate of pay, inconsistent hours
Fun place for part timers.
Wine Specialist (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJuly 26, 2015
It's a fun place to work with interesting people. BevMo is a great place for people looking for part-time work or a job for the holidays. It's a great place to learn about the Wine, Spirits, and Beer Industry. The hardest part of the job is figuring out where everything is on the shelf. It's an easy job but opportunities for advancement beyond a store level are sparse.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Few hours, no benefits for PT work, must work holidays
Fun place to work, with interesting products
store manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working there. The people I worked with, and district management team, were supportive and easy to get along with. Company policies and procedures were lacking, making aspects of the daily store management more of a challenge then necessary.
Good part-time flexible position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 30, 2016
Work at BevMo, is pretty simple. Stock shelves, assist customers, and work the cash register. The customers are generally happy and working with my coworkers was excellent. The managers do a top-notch job and BevMo even pays employees to taste wine to better know the product.
Pros
Discount on product
Cons
Do not encourage growth in company with employees
Fast paced and great work environment
Cashier/Selling (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 3, 2015
There is always something to be done in this job but it is always a pleasure to help customers and work together with the team to get tasks done. Management was friendly and very help full on days that deadlines needed to be met. As well as on personal matters management was great to level with the employees.
Pros
Many great things to learn
my experince
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAApril 16, 2016
Bevmo is a great place to work for beginner's that are trying to learn customer service experience and stocking I been their over a year now and have enjoyed my time their my thing is that the pay can be a lot more better for the things we have to deal with on the daily basis.
Understaffed/ Unorganized
Art captain (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMay 25, 2016
This should be for Michaels Arts and Crafts not BevMo! Working here was enjoyable. But there were various problems with management and understaffing.
A great place to learn about all things beverages.
Sales Associate/Head Clerk/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, Danville and Walnut Creek, CA.July 26, 2015
A typical day would include: daily reports and correspondences, opening the cash registers/P.O.S. system, managing inventory, logistics and product displays, scheduling and managing sales associates, providing customer service including guidance and recommendations of products, working with corporate management on sales strategy, assisting with and performing complex sales transactions.
This was a great place to learn about all categories of beverages as well as sales techniques and practices.
The biggest challenge was recruiting and retaining talented sales associates.
The most enjoyable part of this job was talking to, educating and learning from our customers.
Pros
The ability to remain active, on the move and always learning.
Cons
Sporadic schedule including a lot of weekends and nights.
Fun place to work
Head Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2016
BevMo has been a fun place to work for past three years. I have learned some valuable management skills in my time there.It is alcohol, so of course it is a fun product to sell.
fun workplace with lots of learning experience
Part time store associate (Former Employee) –  Colma, CASeptember 8, 2015
my workday is very short, but I learned a lot about beverages, and suppliers. Management is down to earth and co workers are fun to work with . Hardest part of the job is learning all the various alcoholic beverages. most enjoyable part is meeting people.
Pros
fun
Cons
limited hours

2.6