Bexar County Employee Reviews

Slow paced
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2017
Scanned documents and insured they were correct. Worked with other departments to correct errors. Slow paced and laid back. Great management. No stress.
Positive it's a team atmosphere
Pre-Trail Bond Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 10, 2017
I enjoy working for Bexar County because my day goes by fast. I am the Lead Bond Officer on my work shift and upper management looks to me for training new hires. They send me to the jail on certain days the Courts are open because they know I am capable of working by myself in this fast paced and stressful environment. I have been told over and over by my Superiors that I do great work.
Pros
Retirement, vacation and paid holidays
Cons
Short lunches, work weekends
Unhappy place to work
Clerk Office (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 12, 2017
Working for Bexar county gives you the impression that you work life should be the only life you have. The County is by who knows who and if your in the in crowd. Not much professionalism happens there. From the Older employees yes but younger generation is very unprofessional and rude. But this behavior is allowed with the County. You are always reminded your easily replaceable.
Pros
Enjoyed my work
Cons
No job guarantee every day
Working Experience
Staff Auditor IV (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
The retirement is the best benefit of working with Bexar County. The opportunities for advancement were competitive. Management were supportive and encouraging.
Too much gossiping and the work doesnt get done
TEXAS (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 21, 2017
I wouldn't recommend anyone to work at Bexar County. No good management and the performance is lacking. The communication is poor, I didn't know who was my manager was and it took two weeks for the manager to introduce.
Pros
Close to nearby restaurants for lunch
Cons
Lacking of communication
Very competitive Workplace
Clerk Office (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2017
Very fast pace working environment, Must learn fast and not make mistakes, Not a very friendly customer service environment, Keep to yourself and just do your work, The work itself was very interesting and I found it to be very great learning experience, I enjoyed it, The atmosphere not to pleasant.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Unfriendly work environment
Good place to gain experience but poor management
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 18, 2017
There is a great amount of favoritism among management and they reward you based on how much they like you rather than how hard you work. Staff lack team effort and there's constant gossiping and backstabbing. Management ignores many ongoing problems and seem to not care and are hardly ever present. The pay and benefits are good but be prepared to put in the work. Dealing with the juvenile offenders can be extremely challenging day to day as you are constantly engaging in altercations, restraining, deescalating, and basically being a counselor all day to the youth. This job is not for everyone and there is a high turnover rate and emergency manning due to staff always quitting or not showing up to work.
Pros
Pay, benefits, retirement
Cons
Management, favoritism, lack of recognition, no teamwork, emergency manning
high stress and NO job security
bexar county constable (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 2, 2017
this particular precinct offers NO job security. Employment is used as bargaining tool for every new policy that leadership comes up with. It is not possible for an employee to do his/her job properly and efficiently when employment is always threatened.
Benefits are very good, but managment sucks
Juvenile Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2017
The management team was not organized, or team players, they did not care about there team only about looking good to their bosses. That is why a lot of people leave is because of poor management.
Well established with policies and procedures
Purchasing Agent/Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 20, 2017
Organization is well managed. All departments work well with each other and provide a well balanced process. County encourages continuous education in order to advance in the workplace.
Pros
Fair and supporting
Cons
N/a
Government job and busy work environment; work closely with Court Judges.
Bexar County Pre-Trial Officer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 25, 2017
Everyday was busy as I was in charge of the Drug and Alcohol testing section where I was required to drug test 300 defendants weekly. Learn on the job and was able to move up slightly within but was offered extensive training or classes to further advance self. Meet lots of interesting people.
Pros
Healthcare and located downtown
Cons
No class training and little room for advancment
Can consume you if you allow it to do so
Adult Detention Sergeant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 23, 2017
Great job with much chance to advance, but understand you are primarily locked inside with some undesireable people who have a great amount of time to ruin your day. This job can turn in to many hours because you cannot leave until relief has arrived and the jail doesn't close for weekends and holidays/ You must be committed and know what you are signing up for; then it is a great job, like no other
Pros
Benefits, pay. other officers
Cons
Refer to review
Fun place to work.
Receptionist Commissioners Court (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2017
Workplace was very calm, met alot of interesting people. My work schedule was from 9 to 5 and on Fridays half days.

The Salvation Army was a rehab center and we had almost 150 patients.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Very cold office.
phone work
Records / Identification Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 23, 2017
You would give inmate information for people located in the Bexar County Jail. The work was not stressful and the hours were steady.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
working overnight
Tough Job
Juvenile Detention Officer II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Tough Job, not for everyone. there is a high turnover rate. Employees are often injured and not able to work.The coworkers are nice.
Many Changes
Technical Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Many Changes going on at this time. New management trying to change culture. Very busy and will take some time. But they will get there.
Short Term@Best
Technical Support Specialist III -DAIT (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 23, 2016
I worked for the DAs office for over a year. The job was basic and after the 6 month, you were considered fully trained.

Management has finally been turned over (spring 2016) after 3 years of staff quitting before the end of their probationary period.

No info on the new guy as I left before this but the department remains small with no opportunity for advancement. No special training is offered for IT staff but other departments do get this opportunity.

Something to put or your resume.
Pros
Staff appreciates your hard work, interaction with all staff. in house cafeteria.
Cons
Parking cost, no pay raises, sneaky management, workplace politics.
Interesting place to work at
Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 16, 2016
I like it parking is a hoot. Cultural diversity walk the halls of the courthouse with some with court dates, getting married, having consumer problems, etc.
Pros
Great job
Cons
Parking
Dept of Community Resources
Office Assistant IV-Ryan White (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 2, 2016
Office Assistant IV - Ryan White
It started off ok and then turned horrible. I was reprimanded for being sad at the office after my mother had passed away like after a month or two. I was moved around a lot because they had no real reason to fire me. I was a hard worker, I did multiple jobs for several departments even though I was only supposed to stick to my own department. They treat you like your a nobody and make you feel even worse. If management is still the same there you shouldn't work here. It will make you miserable. If you are cold hearted and mean then this is the place for you.
A good place to start your work experience
ASSISTANT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 23, 2016
Great place to work if you are an employee looking to stay with one employer rather than jumping from job to job. The only difficult part is that employees are long term some with over 25 years and advancement is very slow.