BHP Billiton Employee Reviews

Good pay, benefits, subsidized lunch and a gym for employees. The Petroleum division of this company will not survive long-term with this management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2016
It is a very top-heavy organization with government like policies and procedures that prevents the division from performing efficient and cost effective in a competitive market. Management at BHP speaks of cultures/values but do not live up to the charter values they advertise. The VP in a department was not only discriminator against employees 40+ but is a disgrace to the company and its charter values. He would tell employees with gray hair that we need younger faces in these roles and have their positions replaced with younger employees with no gray hair.

The Petroleum division of this company will not survive long-term with this management team. Major changes will need to happen before this division every starts to turn a profit.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, subsidized lunch and a gym for employees
Cons
Top-heavy organization, consumed by policies and procedures, speak of charter values but do not practice them
Australian Resource Company
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2016
BHP is overall a good company to work for, with a strong safety culture, great pay and benefits, however, as the company is an Australian based company, they tend to favor foreign workers. This is reflected mainly in Management, but filters throughout the company.
Pros
$ 5 lunches in the company cafe, workout gym, 9/80 schedules, overall good compensation and great benefits
Cons
work life balance is difficult to achieve
Needs a change in leadership
Well Interventions Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056March 7, 2016
After 20 years in the oil & gas industry and working in multiple countries, I would say BHP Billiton was the worst to work for. The management at this company was extremely inexperienced, often fast tracking managers with little or no relevant experience. You would often see Sr level engineers still in their twenties, superintendents in their early thirties and so on. With this quick advancement came a lot of inexperience and large ego's. It quickly made for a very tense workplace.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
home life & work balance out of scale
Overall good place to work
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2016
BHP Billiton was an overall good place to work and is working to become a true major player in shale plays across the United States. The overall compensation package was among the best in the industry and the people employed are very nice and knowledgeable. It's a great place to learn because they let you control your career which is great for proactive people.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Acceptance to change
Buyer Beware
Senior Process Safety and Risk Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 1, 2016
Great salary/benefits. Zero succession planning. Management in most cases are not the most qualified. Disaster in north american shale with massive mechanical integrity issues and very little in the horizon from a conventional exploration perspective.
Pros
Salary/compensation
Cons
Future assets and exploration
BHP global is a good company. Except for management group here at New Mexico Coal, Navajo Mine. Benefits good
MSHA electrician (Current Employee) –  Fruitland, NMJanuary 11, 2016
New Mexico coal, Navajo Minel is a demeaning and demoralizing place to work. Management group consists of racist and egotistical people with no care for their work force. Production comes first while safety falls behind.
Pros
benefits through BHPBILLITON company
Cons
management group treatment of employees
BHP Billiton Petroleum - work hard, have fun
ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2015
Good culture. In general, a younger workforce than many other oil gas companies in Houston. I.T. processes and I.T. PMO and I.T. data management is evolving for the better. Business is focused around upstream and those groups directly involved in the upstream functions of the business get the most attention. Project management practices, policies, and procedures are improving and still nimble unlike the hard and fast process of some of the super majors. Oil and gas prices hit this company hard, let's hope it gets better in 2016.
Pros
Younger workforce, people are energetic
Cons
Work load or resources available to do the work, I.T. practices evolving
Good experience
accounting (Former Employee) –  LondonJanuary 11, 2016
hard work but great benefits. I enjoyed my co-workers and my ability to work independently. The most frustrating part was the levels of approvals and red tape on simple transactions and there was not much room for career advancement unless you were willing to move to another country.
Great Company
Procurement Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2016
I really enjoyed working with this company and would have continued but due to the oil economy, my position was eliminated. I was the main contact person for the parts and supplies for the oil rigs. I ordered the parts that were needed, made sure they were delivered on time and made sure the bills were paid on time.

I loved my bosses and co-workers. We had been together for 10 years. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure that the process of getting my vendors paid was smooth and without problems.
Great Employee benefits
HSE Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2016
This company offers a lot of good benefits and is amazingly flexible perfect for working Moms. My exposure consisted of safety issues in the field relating to our onshore operations in the U.S. . I learned the importance of safety and what can happen when safety is not at the top of the list. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the anticipation of the company wide layoffs that occurred on March 15.
Pros
Employee Benefits & Compensation
Cons
location (in very busy area)
Fast-paced work environment in excedllent Galleria location
Executive Assistant to Chief Executive, Petroleum (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2016
Working directly for the CEO was a monumental undertaking. Because of the nature of the business and position, many times extended hours were required and multi-tasking became second-nature. Interfaced with internal executives, as well as C-Level industry executives and foreign dignitaries and Heads of State. Wonderful work experience !!
Good people, Poor Management
Lead HSE Specialist (Former Employee) –  Searcy, AR, Shreveport, LA, Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2016
Management is more concerned about their own agenda, and not about the big picture. Egos are worn on their sleeves and will do what it takes to advance. Management is promoted based on other management agendas and not on merit. Great bennifits, good salary, nice bonus structure. Work/life balance is non-existent at the field level, and salaried employees are not compensated for extra time worked.
Productive place to work. Plenty of Room for Growth
Procurement Specialist/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston,August 9, 2016
Great Team work and and a motivating Supervisor/Manager. Learned multiple ways to bid and provide cost savings for the company. Company provided continuous education on site and certifcation classes off site. Free to make a great impact on my company using my expertise and strategy. Non micro managed. Promoted often.
Pros
Company Benefits
Cons
Weekend On Call
Productive and family workplace to work
Senior Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, TXMarch 29, 2016
It's a very competitive environment. Everyone is very friendly and always wanting to assist when needed. I truly enjoyed working everyday with my fellow co-workers. Their benefit plan is AWESOME!
Pros
A lot of company perks.
Cons
Very demanding
Large worldwide Mining and Mineral production
Landman (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARSeptember 9, 2015
As a Landman, care was taken to follow through with diligence the already tedious processes of well site selection. Processes involved due diligence to the legal aspect of determining ownership along with a cautious approach to the environmental impact of operations. Multiple meetings on simple projects became commonplace in a critical thought culture.
Even with all the attention to detail, no part of my role went undone. One up management exercised confidence in me to perform duties as expected. Micro management was discouraged from the top levels on down, and freedom to perform was experienced.
All in all, a good place to work with outstanding benefit packages.
As is common with the Oil/Gas Energy sector, commodity prices control the employment atmosphere and there is a constant churn by employees seeking greener pastures.
My position was terminated in April 2015 and I reluctantly left the company, accepting a decent severance package. The negative part is that as an older worker, opportunities to finish a career with such good benefits become fewer and farther between even with intelligent financial planning.
Pros
Top notch benefit package, excellent wages comparable to similar jobs in the industry. Work/life balance was excellent.
Cons
Susceptible to commodity price fluctuations, influx of recent college graduates with little or no experience making decisions, very few experienced middle age/older employees
Good Culture, Good People
Associate RKM Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2016
Worked here for 12 years. Learned a lot and made a lot of friends. Corporate culture was refreshing. Open door policy to management and a "Free to Speak Up" policy made you feel respected. Great Benefits.
Pros
Great benefits, culture and people.
Cons
Lots of work hours in the week needed to complete projects. Last round of re-organization did me in.
Ok place to work
SENIOR LEAD DIVISION ORDER ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2016
The hardest part of the job is walking in the door knowing how horrible the environment is.

You wouldn't believe it even if I wrote it all out.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the paycheck.
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS
Cons
TOO MANY INEXPERIENCE PEOPLE. VERY HARD TO GET ANYTHING ACCOMPLISHED, . UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS, RULE BY FEAR.
Not a good place
Sr. Oracle DBA (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2015
Management has moved all IT to Infosys and laid off of fired all American consultants and some employees. Most of Infosys employees are working from India and have little or no experience. Even onsite typically less than 2 years of experience.
Pros
salary scale
Cons
management has little or no insight
Ok to work, benefits gone done. Used to be awesome
Underground Miner (Current Employee) –  Fruitland, NMSeptember 28, 2015
OK to work, good pay for the area, union mine. Equal pay for everyone no incentive to work hard, when you do not rewarded. Big company so any great views you have usually shot down, even when they tell you to look ahead. Bad Planning, do everything twice makes it real frustrating. Showcase upper management often.
Pros
Fellow crew members, usually easy going
Cons
Lots of new inexperienced people coming, no listening to boots on ground
Professional
Senior Engineering Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2016
Reorganization in progress. Many good people were laid off.
Good place to work. Became intense as the oil price dropped and the drilling program was significantly reduced.
Pros
managment
Cons
poor planning by executives

4.2