BHP Billiton Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
HR Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
As a contractor, its usually a hit or miss with some organizations in terms of positive work culture, work/life balance, and etc. It was definitely a plus working there. They mean what they say and on everything! I loved working here and would love to join as a permanent employee if a position becomes available.
Pros
everything
Great Work/Life Balance
Specialist Technical Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Overall, my experience with BHP has been great! Management promotes a work place culture that endorses work/life balance. The price volatility in the O&G sector has presented major challenges, but management has been very transparent with employees during this low price environment.
BHP is a Great Company
Logistic Analyst (Technical) - Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056August 22, 2017
Great Company,Values and Culture. The management at BHP Billiton really spreaded and pushed the culture down. Work life balance is great and the people are great.
Good Compensation not worth the stress
Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Pecos, TXAugust 21, 2017
Management allowed lesser qualified employees to make business decisions that negatively impact profit margin and safety.
Graduate Engineers given more credence than very experienced field management.
Pros
Good compensation package
Cons
Lack of field input in production facility design, operation and maintenance
Great group
Construction Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TXAugust 14, 2017
Loved working in this field, had a great time with all of the management there. Top management in Houston not so much. They only came down to our office to lay people off. They had no clue of how to run pipeline on land.
Pros
great money
Cons
layoffs
Great benefits, great pay, but you are expendable
Logistics Representative (Former Employee) –  Searcy, ARAugust 4, 2017
I loved the money, the benefits were the best I have ever had. The 401K match was exceptional. I worked there for 4 years and one day my supervisor who worked out of Louisiana showed up and laid me off. I had worked about 20 hours of overtime that week and had already worked through my lunch that day when they let me go. They did give me a good severance package but I would of much rather kept my job.
I enjoyed my job too. The buyers I worked with were not very efficient and they were swapped around quite frequently.
The executive level made it clear that investing in the onshore shale was a mistake and you never felt like your job was safe.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay
Cons
No job security
very fun work place
Sap Pm (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2017
I absolutely love working at BHP. Not only is my team collaborative and supportive but the entire company is as a whole. Our company has a strong sense of community that is felt in every office globally.Fun workplace to work.
Excellent benefits and management is constantly striving to improve the culture. Major downsides result from the large size of the company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 29, 2017
Excellent benefits and management strives to improve culture and working environment. Still exhibits many issues faced at a large company. Lots of red tape to jump through results in a lot of wasted time spent on menial tasks.
Pros
Benefits, Culture, Office, Cheap lunch
Cons
Bureaucracy, Red Tape
Diverse, Good Incentives, and Flexible Hours
Finance / Accounting (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2017
Overall BHP is a great company to work for. There is flex schedules which contributes to a good work / life balance. They work hard on diversity and inclusion. The company offers a rewards program to recognize exceptional work completed. The company also has numerous special events throughout the year that are interactive and fun, to help keep the morale up, even when oil prices are down.
Management needs work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2017
Management needs to work on not having a select few who are given opportunities not afforded to everyone else. Most individuals who come through the Grad program are on the fast track to success. I understand that they need grooming and I don't disagree with that, but what about your other staff.
Professional Atmosphere
Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAJuly 13, 2017
Company has a great deal of expertise and does a good job of deploying people in roles where they can function effectively. They are able to assemble effective project teams from multiple locations.
good company with good benifits
Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Tilden, TXJuly 12, 2017
good company to work for with good benefits. the downsides to working here is the constant restructure of management, and the quality of management. there is a large gap in communication with management and the people in the field
Great people, great place.
Sr. Project Lead/Sr. Field Landman (Former Employee) –  Tilden, TXJuly 6, 2017
I enjoyed my time with BHP. Meetings every morning, but never enough coffee and donuts. Never a dull moment. Always something to keep me busy with work.
Pros
Wonderful work environment.
Cons
Never enough coffee.
not good area
Company Rep (Former Employee) –  Orla texasJune 28, 2017
work was good until changed workscope and leadership.the hardest part of job was travel to work, traffic was bad and had many miles to travel. worked too long without going home.
Excellent place to work.
Sr. Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Post Oak BlvdJune 27, 2017
I have no negatives about working with BHP. It was a great place to work and I enjoyed my team immensely. The work was exciting and challenging. I was always busy.
Pros
Good environment. Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Small Working Quarters
Bhp
Land Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2017
This past year has been super slow, so work has been boring. Nothing bad to say about this company. Has provided different opportunities for me to learn different things.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Hard to Advance in career
Very short handed
Shift lead operator, safe and proper operations (Former Employee) –  Nordheim, TXJune 13, 2017
Very rarely got your days off. Generally the only day you would get off would be a fatigue day after working fifteen straight. Benefits were great and management was fair
Great people, wish I could have stayed employed with BHP. Great Pay and Benefits!!!!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterflow, NMJune 11, 2017
Administrative and office support for the Production and Maintenance Departments.
Great supervisor and co-workers.
Learned a lot.
Prepared and distributed work orders.
SAP database.
Maintained department shift schedules.
Pros
Enjoyed going to work every morning.
Cons
Location, took some time to get used to driving and walking in the mud.
High paced work, but you get what you are paid for.
Completions Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 6, 2017
Consulting has a high degree of responsibility. BHP takes that into the equation on compensation. The culture there is safety. They also impose strict standards that are very necessary to the safety aspect.
Pros
Good help is available with a phone call to the right person.
Cons
Heavy workload
Temporary Project Secretary (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAMay 31, 2017
This was a temporary assignment. I loved working for them. I was sad when my assignment ended. I would recommend this company wholeheartedly. Can be a fun place to work and because of it's size, advancement is very likely.
Pros
Great people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BHP Billiton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2