BHP Billiton

BHP Billiton Employer Reviews

I loved working here
Communications Engineer (Former Employee), Houston TX.June 25, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work internationally. great culture!
Cons: position was outsourced.
While I was based in Houston, I did a fair amount of travel. UK, Australia, Chile and Peru. Every office I visited was professional and staffed with great people. I worked in the mining and petroleum groups. Both had talented and professional employees at all levels.
My only complaint was that they outsourced my position after I was there 3 years. I – more... miss working there. – less
Great place to work as intern
Environmental Intern (Former Employee), Farmington, NMMay 29, 2014
Great pay and good people to work with. Getting the assigned job done is secondary to learning the process for which to complete the job and to do it correctly.
Challenging culture
Technical Role (Current Employee), Houston, TexasMay 21, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits, vacation and $2 lunches
Cons: hours, management, lack of standardization
BHP Billiton is a large company without structure and in constant state of flux, therefore creating an unecessary environment of disorder.
Have acquired a lot of experience from working here
Supply Specialist (Current Employee), San Juan Underground MineMay 20, 2014
I deal with a lot of fire calls through out the day, spend my day looking for part, negotiating pricing and resolving system issues.
so-so
Lease Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 21, 2014
Decent company, no growth. $2 lunches, and ok work/life balance.

Onshore and Offshore are very different experiences.
Safety Security Officer
Mine Safety, Security & Emergency Response Officer (Former Employee), Moranbah QueenslandApril 13, 2014
Pros: i worked a great roster and lived within a short distance.
Cons: there were often conflicting priorities amongst coworkers, i preferred a more collaborative workplace.
Mine access / egress control at Goonyella/Riverside Coal Mine.

Oversight of safety compliance on the minesite.

I learnt about mine safety compliance systems and procedures. I was involved in the Emergency Response team on the mine with enable me to participate and learn about Mine Rescue and Emergency response.

Management and I worked collaboratively – more... to implement changes when the Security role was changed to incorporate Security and Emergency Response. I often provided support and advise to the Safety Superintendent whom often referred to my vast experiences and this assisted him to achieve his goals.

Coworkers often complained of the environment and conditions but I continued to maintain a positive ethos in order to achieve both personal and corporate goals.

The hardest part of the job at some times was the requirement to continually update and maintain skills, however I was able to achieve all required.

The most enjoyable part of the work I was working in a dynamic and challenging environment where I was able to continually learn new skills and contribute to corporate goals. – less
Productive & fun place to work with covered parking
Accounts Payable Administrator (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 7, 2014
Pros: variety of food, etc.
Cons: n/a
Great atmosphere! Managers are easy to work with. The company has a diverse group of people.
Exceptional organisation
PROJECT MANAGER - Technology Infrastructure (Former Employee), SingaporeFebruary 26, 2014
Fast moving, progressive, dynamic organisation. Strong focus on safety of it's people and the environment.
Frac consultant
Independent Consultant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasFebruary 26, 2014
Work a rotating shift, 14 on 7 off change from days to nights every time. Frac & wire line each day. superintendents were good to work for. Like anywhere some coworkers were good to work with & some were not. There was no hard part to my job, I have been doing this for so many years. I enjoy working in the oilfield so everyday was a joy to get up and – more... go to work – less
Awesome!
Master Data Cataloguer (Former Employee), Perth, WAFebruary 18, 2014
It was a great place to work. Learning from experienced management, earning amazing money, and getting to know really interesting people.
Productive, result oriented workplac that is seeking for the best
IM Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2014
In my job I oversee global operations for the Petroleum business. A typical day at work is one with about 6 hours of meetings, which could be with my own staff, service providers, stakeholders or other people in the Information Management (IM) organization.
The great this about working at BHP Billiton Petroleum is that you work with well educated and – more... experienced people. This enables us in a fast growing industry and with many changes to be effective in challenging times due to work load, the global nature or other complexities. – less
Did not like the Galleria Location or new combined company
Subsurface Engineering Technical Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2014
By narrowing down job responsibilities, I felt like I was losing my core skills.
Complex rapidly changing work place.
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee), Farmington, NMFebruary 5, 2014
BHP Billiton is a “Big 5” Corporation with current Mining interests in Northern New Mexico. Unfortunately, due largely to environmental concerns arising from aging area Power Plants and the exorbitant cost associated with Plant refurbishment required to meet EPA standards, both of BHP Billiton’s current Utility Customers have been forced to acknowledge – more... the necessity of reducing overall energy production by more than half over the next two years. BHP Billiton has responded with their intent to sell both area Mines. – less
Its a great place to work. They are very safety oriented.
Field Operations Technician (Current Employee), Nordhiem, TexasJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: the benefits are awesome.
Cons: too much time away from home.
I have enjoyed my time with BHP Billiton but I am away from my family too much and that is important to me. I have no issues with the company. They are a great company to work for.
Great place to learn new skills
Engineering Technician (Current Employee), Houston, TexasDecember 5, 2013
Pros: $2.00 lunches, flexible time, great benefits
My daily work day is demanding - reports, research, etc. I have learned how to juggle various projects. I find that team building is a major part of my group in order to completely get the job done. There is no hard part of my day. I enjoy my job and I like the task that are assigned to me.
Great company to learn and contribute
Internship Student (Former Employee), Antofagasta, ANSeptember 25, 2013
Pros: great enviroment of people, good place to learn, nice instalations and good food.
Cons: distances to go to work every day
Many tasks were accomplished, involving advance reports and statistical stud
I learned:
The experience of how to live in a mine.
How to solve problems with different approaches.
To get along with all the project co workers.

I got to learn a lot about the job and my co workers experience, they told me about their stories and adviced me in many ways – more... regarding to the job procedures and decisions to be made.

The hardest part of the job was to get used to the rythm of life at the beggining.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to learn a lot and see how the real work is performed in the field. – less
Heavy workload
Administrative Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 6, 2013
Pros: cafe within building
Cons: cubicle environment
Limited advancement opportunities.
Excellent benefits.
Application upgrades tested and confirmed before rolled out.
Excellent IT support.
Very Good place to work
Computer/Network Technician (Former Employee), Searcy, ARAugust 5, 2013
On a work day I would check and upkeep on all network syestems and also work with Drill site workers to keep up all on site syestems running
Finding a place in a company where I can assist in making an executives life better.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 8, 2013
Pros: great benefits, good salary
Cons: do not want you to think outside the box.
My company was purchased by BHP, so I was able to get in under different circumstances than most. The culture there was completely different than what I was used to. I did enjoy the department I was in and the people that I worked for. I was the only admin for the entire department so I was very busy all of the time.
Great company to work for. Constantly growing and expanding
RIM Specialist (Current Employee), HoustonMay 23, 2013
Third largest company in the world. You will learn a lot while working there

1 2 3 4 5

About BHP Billiton

Two heads (or headquarters) are better than one. Aussie minerals and oil company BHP Limited acquired UK miner Billiton plc in – Read more